Emidisc

is there any value in them just been looking and there prices range greatly (artists and rarity of course) just seen an mpvs on ebay and quite interested

is there a price guide to these be it a rough guide or written thanks in advance

Just out of interest where have you been looking?

Social source share

Emi discs may be worthless as a genuine thing but the history behind some of them is worth a fortune :yes: when i think back to making myself skint to buy certain records,just so i could get emi´s done to make a bit to be able to buy "the next one"

Part and parcel of the scene yearrs ago...............

Short story............I once had an emidisc  with PP Arnold and One in a million  painstakingly copied both labels pefectly and took it to the catacombs to sell, :g: the buyer......Blue Max!  no questioning dj credibility in those times :thumbup: people just happy to hear the sounds :thumbsup:

Steve

There was also a guy from Worcester/Kidderminster way who used to buy emi´s regularly from the  Wax Machine who used to draw fantastic labels(pieces of art in fact) i wonder where he and those discs are nowadays?

Spot on Steve. It was the trickle of emidiscs back then that fueled a search for 'those types of sounds' amongst many...in the days beforf CD's and any quality cassette tapes.

I say 'trickle' because I would be very suprised if there bucketloads ever done. More often  just a few done of 'in vogue' tunes at the time.

Be interesting to know how many are still in existence. Who has actually kept em because of, as you say. they are historical and can be very personal to folk when thinking back to the early years and their 'journey'

First ones to come out circa 69/70..late wheel ??????.......Reckon Brian Phillips on here would know......

Edited by jez jones
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Emi discs may be worthless as a genuine thing but the history behind some of them is worth a fortune :yes: when i think back to making myself skint to buy certain records,just so i could get emi´s done to make a bit to be able to buy "the next one"

Part and parcel of the scene yearrs ago...............

Short story............I once had an emidisc  with PP Arnold and One in a million  painstakingly copied both labels pefectly and took it to the catacombs to sell, :g: the buyer......Blue Max!  no questioning dj credibility in those times :thumbup: people just happy to hear the sounds :thumbsup:

Steve

There was also a guy from Worcester/Kidderminster way who used to buy emi´s regularly from the  Wax Machine who used to draw fantastic labels(pieces of art in fact) i wonder where he and those discs are nowadays?

I remember saving up 4 weeks paper round money to buy first one (Lou Pride / Reggie Garner) from Sundown in Wolvo.  I remember seeing Rob Haigh (Agent Smith on here) playing an emidisc at Sammies with a beautiful label design which I presume he did himself, that was in 1975 or 76, when I moved back here in 2002 I was browsing through a box of records in a shop and guess what I found - Rob's old emidisc.  Wonder where it had been for over 25 years..

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Spot on Steve. It was the trickle of emidiscs back then that fueled a search for 'those types of sounds' amongst many...in the days beforf CD's and any quality cassette tapes.

I say 'trickle' because I would be very suprised if there bucketloads ever done. More often  just a few done of 'in vogue' tunes at the time.

Be interesting to know how many are still in existence. Who has actually kept em because of, as you say. they are historical and can be very personal to folk when thinking back to the early years and their 'journey'

First ones to come out circa 69/70..late wheel ??????.......Reckon Brian Phillips on here would know......

There were a lot done Jez, you used to be able to check out a list of top titles, pay your fiver and it'd be ready for you next week.  I wouldn't be exagerrating if I said I must have had at least 20 more like 30 done between 1975 and 1979.  And that was just me.  Of course each one was your own choice so there weren't that many with the same couplings.  I've got one here of Jeanette Williams b/w Jeanette Harper for instance

Social source share

Seem to remember around 1978 ish, you could order 10" EMI Discs from PEP with your choice of 3 of the top/rare tracks of the day on each side. As I recall, a mate had one done with things like Bobby Paris - "I walked away", Pat Powdrill - "Do It", Teddy Vann - "Colored Man".

Cheers

Kev Bod

Edited by bo diddley
Social source share

There were a lot done Jez, you used to be able to check out a list of top titles, pay your fiver and it'd be ready for you next week.  I wouldn't be exagerrating if I said I must have had at least 20 more like 30 done between 1975 and 1979.  And that was just me.  Of course each one was your own choice so there weren't that many with the same couplings.  I've got one here of Jeanette Williams b/w Jeanette Harper for instance

Right, fair play on that...I underestimated the popularity of 'em in mid to late 70's.....was just thinking of circa 1970/71.  So in effect there could be suitcases full of 'top tunes' lying around in people's attics   :)

Social source share

Seem to remember around 1978 ish, you could order 10" EMI Discs from PEP with your choice of 3 of the top/rare tracks of the day on each side. As I recall, a mate had one done with things like Bobby Paris - "I walked away", Pat Powdrill - "Do It", Teddy Vann - "Colored Man".

Cheers

Kev Bod

Yeah I just sold a couple of those for a tenner - got them when Crispie passed away - I'd obviously sold them to him, they still had my writing on the sleeves, contained the likes of Epitome Of Sound - Into your heart (aka Carol &Gerri), Lou Roberts, Johnny Hendley, Black Power, Burning Bush etc - they were bought out of the shop though, not tracks I requested.  First 10" I got off Pep was October 77 and included Lou Ragland, Yvonne Daniels and Pat Powdrill.  Must have been a 7" blank shortage at the Pyral factory!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Around 1974/75, Ormskirk appeared to be the EMIdisc Capitol of the world, with weekly threats from Frank Elson to out Keith Bradley & Pete Lawson as serial bootleggers.  They did put adverts in Black Music offering the top northern sound for sale.

Paul

Edited by Paul r
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Guess it all depends on whether they're original record label demo acetates or custom pressed soul bootlegs. Sometimes hard to tell, unless they have different artists on both sides etc.

Guess it all depends on whether they're original record label demo acetates or custom pressed soul bootlegs. Sometimes hard to tell, unless they have different artists on both sides etc.

then there were people like myself who owned a record cutter..it's a complicated skill and you need to know a little bit about sound reproduction and physics and most importantly..who your friends are cos you're gonna get a lot of dodgy phone calls from wankers claiming to be from the M.C.P.S. mechanical copyright protection society. I made a few bob (only a few bob) doing this but at the end of the day l was selling a service..it's supply and demand..LONG LIVE CELLULOSE NITRATE (it's the black lacquer on the aluminium disc sometimes called acetate but there's no acetate used at all!!) Tony Warot.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Got about a dozen or so in my collection from back in the day. Mostly crap sound quality but it's the memories that count. Can't bring myself to chuck em out.

When you bought an emi disc it was because the tunes were too rare or too expensive at the time. Some things never change. No downloading in them days.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!