Stanley Winston No More Ghettos

Gogger

read about this tune awhile back , one came up for sale and i snapped it up , it's claim to fame being it was one of john peels favorite records , seems to have a bit of a cult following , not much info on stanley winston himself , any way i think it's a great tune , its not a dancer by the way , what 's your take on this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrWNYYzynKs

any more info will be welcome thanks john

Edited by gogger
Social source share

Hi Gogger

I like it. You have referenced John Peel so I guess you will have seen this already

https://peel.wikia.com/wiki/Stanley_Winston and then there's this

https://www.groovesvilleusa.com/blog/?p=959

Mm, Paul Mooney is mentioned - our Pauls on SS so he may know some more.

Peter

:thumbsup:

thanks for that peter , not seen the groovesville link , nice bit of reading , thanks again  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

This was originally issued on Golden:

attachicon.gifGolden_111A.jpg

Thanks, I was looking for the Golden release but couldn't find it and was beginning to wonder if the track was just leased out to Stan Lewis

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

...Paul Mooney is mentioned - our Pauls on SS so he may know some more.

Peter

Hello,

I'm not sure why my name was mentioned but I had raved about 'No More Ghettos In America' in Black Echoes in the late 1970s.

It was released on Jewel in 1970 after a local release on Ebb-Tide's Golden label, picked up by Jewel/Paula/Ronn in the hope that it might follow the success of 'Cryin' In The Streets' by George Perkins which Silver Fox / SSS International had leased (or bought) from Golden. That same year Little Johnny Taylor cut a version of 'How Can A Broke Man Survive' on Ronn after hearing the original version by George Perkins.

There was no follow-up to 'Cryin' In The Streets' because they all fell out with each other. George was very easy to get along with but Ebb-Tide could be a difficult man. His real name was Ebb K. Harris Sr. but he is not to be confused with Ted Harris, one of the writers of 'Cryin' In The Streets', who came from New York.

Another record from Ebb-Tide was 'Let Freedom Ring' / 'All For My Kids' by Frank Turner (Maison de Soul) who had sung the falsetto part on 'Cryin' In The Streets' (without credit). We had raved to George about Frank Turner in 1977 so he featured him on the flip of his next record, 'You Been Good To Me'.

John Peel obtained a copy of the Stanley Winston 45 in a batch from Garry Cape (Black Grape) in the late 1970s or early '80s. I hope Garry can remember what other 45s he put in that batch but I do remember that Peel had played some of the 45s issued on Hit And Run - such as George Perkins, Eddie Giles, Mighty Sam - at an earlier date.

Paul

P.S. Stanley Winston later had a 45 issued on the HSE label, owned by Hoyt Sullivan, a friend of John Richbourg.

Social source share

Tony Rounce shot me down in flames for suggesting the Johnny Wonder was the better version but I still think it is.

I had known and loved the Stanley Winston for years but hearing Johnny Wonder tearing into those lyrics with such anguish takes it to another level. The other side of the JW is an admittedly lesser version of "Crying In The Streets" by the way.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

The same Stanley Winston recorded at least a couple of tracks for Serious Sounds in 1988

50 second clips. For my ears the modern electronic backing kills it for me, as pretty much all electronic backing does.

Just put 'em here to add to the overall picture

https://serioussoundscompany.com/index.php?option=com_maianmedia&view=album&album=13

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Interesting, Dave, but a shame that Stanley didn't sound comfortable on that material.

Paul

Can't blame him mate with that backing  :D

Although it does state he was in frail health

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!