Mid Tempo, Will It Ever Return?

Simsy

Never got my head around the fascination there is these days with the 100mph label. Events promising 100% 100mph - Like it used to be ???  Not from what I recall but then again I am getting on a bit. Its all about the mix and a good DJ can satisfy most peoples need and wants in a night. Some quality stuff chucked out on this thread that would and should be welcome anywhere.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I'm being allowed out on Friday and so am planning to play these two which I hope fit the bill as regards mid-tempo.

If they turn out to be beat ballads I'm playing 'em anyway  :D 

Cheers

Richard

Richard - Remember the rules, If you are putting on Links etc don't forget to accompany them with Text descriptions for the less fortunate of us that do not have access at work to such luxuries.

Social source share

Excellent thread. I was at the 100 Club last Saturday and was one of two people who requested Bernard Drake's I've Been Untrue, I assured Steve that people would dance to it, I'd seen it on the two previous weekends when Arthur Fenn played it at MonuMental and Boomerang respectively. Also Alan played some medium tempo/beat ballads and the dance floor was busy.

Personally I like a mix of tempoes, even at Lifeline you don't want it 150 mph all night. But it must be mixed in carefully, i.e. a skilful DJ.

I've not listened to all the tunes posted, will do that later at home, but have to praise Sandy Golden's Your Love Is Everything, a truly wonderful record, always gives me a lump in my throat.

However I'm a bit confused over the definitions of medium tempo and beat ballad, I've always considered That Other Place a beat ballad, have I been wrong for years then?

Social source share

Excellent thread. I was at the 100 Club last Saturday and was one of two people who requested Bernard Drake's I've Been Untrue, I assured Steve that people would dance to it, I'd seen it on the two previous weekends when Arthur Fenn played it at MonuMental and Boomerang respectively. Also Alan played some medium tempo/beat ballads and the dance floor was busy.

Personally I like a mix of tempoes, even at Lifeline you don't want it 150 mph all night. But it must be mixed in carefully, i.e. a skilful DJ.

I've not listened to all the tunes posted, will do that later at home, but have to praise Sandy Golden's Your Love Is Everything, a truly wonderful record, always gives me a lump in my throat.

However I'm a bit confused over the definitions of medium tempo and beat ballad, I've always considered That Other Place a beat ballad, have I been wrong for years then?

The flip on the Sandy Golden "When we,re all alone" is sublime aswell Geoff, same backing as another mid-tempo gem The Sweets "Something about my baby" on Soultown, while we are at it, Bernard Drake is an incredible record, essential, just like the aforementioned, same vein as Sandy Golden also essential, Mikki Farrow on Karate "Could it be"

Kev

Edited by kev cane
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

medium tempo and beat ballad, 

Good to see you at the 100 Geoff. :thumbsup:

After reading the developments of this thread with interest, it would seem there is a tempo greyish area on anything that isn't 100 mph. :lol: That said, I'd not really seen 'medium tempo' until the above. So maybe we need a new scale? Slowy - Beat Ballad - Mid Tempo Beat Ballad - Medium Mid Tempo - Up Tempo - Stomper ..... :facepalm:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

'wrist slashers'  - now that's a genre label to savour :)

I know, I should copyright it, Dave The Drug is still convinced I was the first person to ever put the words 'beat ballad' into print* and I should have copyrighted it  :rofl:

* he is probably right

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

I dont know what is confusing about the respective tempos. A beat ballad is self explanatory, it's a ballad with a beat, walking pace basically as far as tempo goes, Romance Watson, Sam Bowie etc. Most mid tempo I know are dancers basically and I would say a large percentage of many Dj's playlists. No grey areas as far as I'm concerned.

As said it is a dance scene and the tempo should reflect that however if a DJ knows what he is doing and mixed in at the right time there is still a place for the odd beat ballad.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Here's that track listing for Wigan late 1973.  Most records fall inbetween midtempo and fast.  Ones I'd put in the 100mph hour bracket are Joe Hicks, Johnny Caswell, Cissie Houston, Tainted Love, Mike Post, so thats just five tracks out of 20 plus

JOE HICKS - DON'T IT MAKE YOU FEEL FUNKY

SAXIE RUSSELL - PSYCHEDELIC SOUL

AUDIO ARTS STRINGS - THERE IS NOTHING ELSE TO SAY

STANLEY MITCHELL - GET IT BABY

TONY & TYRONE - PLEASE OPERATOR

JOHNNY CASWELL - YOU DON'T LOVE ME ANYMORE

NANCY AMES - I DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT

LYNNE RANDELL - STRANGER IN MY ARMS

VOLCANOS - THE LAWS OF LOVE

LEE ANDREWS - I'VE HAD IT

THE SAPPHIRES - THE SLOW FIZZ

EDDIE FOSTER - I NEVER KNEW

THE ADVENTURERS - EASY BABY

FRANK BEVERLEY - IF THAT'S WHAT YOU WANTED

CISSIE HOUSTON - BRING HIM BACK CUT

GLORIA JONES - TAINTED LOVE

LEON YOUNG STRINGS - GLAD ALL OVER

DETROIT SOUND - JUMPING AT THE GO GO

MIKE POST COALITION - AFTERNOON OF THE RHINO

GOLDEN WORLD STRINGS (TOTAL ECLIPSE) - SUPERTIME

THE JELLY BEANS - YOU DON'T MEAN ME NO GOOD

FREDDIE CHAVEZ - THEY'LL NEVER KNOW WHY

I find it amazing that Eddie Foster never seems to get the recognition it deserves.One top midtempo oldie,that has stood the test of time.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I dont know what is confusing about the respective tempos. A beat ballad is self explanatory, it's a ballad with a beat, walking pace basically as far as tempo goes, Romance Watson, Sam Bowie etc. Most mid tempo I know are dancers basically and I would say a large percentage of many Dj's playlists. No grey areas as far as I'm concerned.

As said it is a dance scene and the tempo should reflect that however if a DJ knows what he is doing and mixed in at the right time there is still a place for the odd beat ballad.

Fair point there Squire. Thread really more to do with perhaps a lack of bb/midtempo esp at nighters.

Ere, get a load of this underplayed masterpiece  :excl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF-aOZTXnzM

Social source share

If you are running a soul night, i.e. 8 till 2 then you can get away with more slow tempo mellow sounds because most people there will be drinking alcohol, and that makes people mellow. Especially towards the end of the night.

If it's an allnighter, then most will be on gear and you've no chance of getting away with anything less than mid tempo. And not many of those.

Anyone trying it when I ran Burnley would soon be visited on stage and would hear the immortal words " if you don't pick it up we're f***ing off" no names shall be mentioned, you know who you are.  :lol:

Edited by Quinvy
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Last year, or was it the year before I managed to get a copy of Noble & the Uptights, an old "Staffie". Now that's a midtempo chooooon. And a fab Deep B side too. In fact this thread has prompted me to play it Sunday - yeah!

Yes Steve, the deep side if you please  :D

Although I'm familiar with quite a few "Lonely Man" deepies ie Eugene Evans, Johnny Adams, John Thomas, Robert Ramsey etc I've never heard the Noble. I've read before that it's quite a piece. Intrigued.

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Your last reply with Freddie Gorman, that's more like a beat ballad,( in otherwords slow) than mid tempo IMO and your highly unlikely to hear many like that at allnighters.

Agree with most of what you've been saying on this thread Chalky but that Freddie Gorman is no beat ballad - it is a midtempo dancer

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Last year, or was it the year before I managed to get a copy of Noble & the Uptights, an old "Staffie". Now that's a midtempo chooooon. And a fab Deep B side too. In fact this thread has prompted me to play it Sunday - yeah!

Mick H's spin? Wow,live and learn. :thumbsup: Sorry of topic.

Social source share

I'm certainly no song writer or musician, but the issue over appropriate terminology ie whether something is a beat ballad or a mid tempo track does tickle me. Problem is I think there is no consensus to what constitutes 'mid-tempo' even from a technical perspective. The Oxford dictionary gives an example of the use of mid-tempo in context as 'a mid tempo ballad' ! Aargh....

Musicians of popular music have tried to define it on a BPM basis (eg 90-110 as mid-tempo, down tempo less and uptempo more) - dont know where my beat ballad faves fit into that! Maybe we should all experiment and post in - but looks like they even argue on this definition too.

The only conclusion you can come to is that midtempo is relative to the specific musical genre being discussed - however when as with soul you have something like the Four Gents "I've been trying" at one end and Eskew Reeder on Crosstone at the other it all becomes a bit daft.

Edited by Windlesoul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm slightly confused here I thought mid tempo tunes had always been around from the early days with things like Gene Chandler - Nothing can stop me , Brooks & Jerry I got what it takes , Willie Tee Walking up a one way street and moving on to stuff like Nolan Chance Just like the Weather and later things like Eloise Laws Love Factory , Bobby Hutton Lend a Hand and loads more.

Even a lot of the "bad "records played over the years were mid tempo Barbara Mills , Carmel Strings , Peggy March etc

Some great Soulful records posted on this thread by the way.

I think mid tempo changed along the way, what used to be a slowie is now described on many dealers lists at least, as mid tempo. I know we're all getting older but some of them are ridiculous.  

Having said that I do love the slower side of things & frequently throw in slower stuff @ Solid Hit Soul Club in London things like Bobby Mac Shy Guy, Linda & Pretenders Believe me, Four Gents Young girl beware, Barbara Lewis If You Love Her / Straighten Up Your Heart alongside the more uptempo stuff.

Edited by SHSDave
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Good to see you at the 100 Geoff. :thumbsup:

After reading the developments of this thread with interest, it would seem there is a tempo greyish area on anything that isn't 100 mph. :lol: That said, I'd not really seen 'medium tempo' until the above. So maybe we need a new scale? Slowy - Beat Ballad - Mid Tempo Beat Ballad - Medium Mid Tempo - Up Tempo - Stomper ..... :facepalm:

'MID' is the word - Not 'SLOW'....I think that's what gets mixed up.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

P.s - 'Mikki Farrow - Could It Be' - AWESOME! :yes: 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'd put it somewhere in between to be honest Pete. The tempo changes between the two.

137 or whatever posts in and I'm thinking things will be better musically for me when I'm based back in the Midlands. I'm only really in range of nighters in the Midlands or the North at the moment.

People that are fortunate enough to live in the North of England, have a wealth of choice of soul nights, nighters and mini nighters - not to mention dayers, where all sorts of music can be heard. In the South, it's a little different.

I own this. Never played it out and (despite this thread) probably never will. Yet, there was a time ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJQTzxxeIIA

Social source share

Cheers Len for the like on Mikki Farrow, remember a time when mid gems like Hytones-Bigger and Better, Chuck Jackson-Whats with this lonliness, Just Brothers-Go on and laugh, Jesse James (aka Arcades)Are you gonna leave me, Cleveland Wilson (aka OC Tolbert) I,m shooting high, Young Brothers-Baby, Sweets-Something about my baby, Buddy Smith-When you lose, James Lately-Love Friends and Money etc were all to be heard on the same night, and more that I could have mentioned, aaah, the great days

Kev

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Stuart is a resident at SHS, comes back for the weekend, when it's on. As we keep  saying, regarding this club. Apart from the odd 1 or 2 that slip in, we don't do the Funky stuff, Modern or "R & B", as there's clubs & D.J.'s that cater for this a lot better than we could - It's a "60's Northern" club, and mid tempo stuff gets played if it fits in to the remit - As it always did? I've played stuff like "Marion Stewart", "Bill Lucas", "Faye Crawford" there in the past and never thought of them as anything but great "Northern" records

Des

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Stuart is a resident at SHS, comes back for the weekend, when it's on. As we keep  saying, regarding this club. Apart from the odd 1 or 2 that slip in, we don't do the Funky stuff, Modern or "R & B", as there's clubs & D.J.'s that cater for this a lot better than we could - It's a "60's Northern" club, and mid tempo stuff gets played if it fits in to the remit - As it always did? I've played stuff like "Marion Stewart", "Bill Lucas", "Faye Crawford" there in the past and never thought of them as anything but great "Northern" records

Des

Gis a spot!

No in all seriousness, I'll be at the next one, sounds like my pigeon. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Gis a spot!

No in all seriousness, I'll be at the next one, sounds like my pigeon. :thumbsup:

Hi Simsy :hatsoff2:

As has been mentioned Stuart still lives in Guernsey & "just" flies over for Solid Hit.

As long as you don't want the top 500 (which from your posts I know that you don't) I think you'd have a great time at Solid Hit. great basement venue,great atmosphere a good mix of Semi Knowns/ underplayed mixed together with better known stuff, cheap / expensive some slower stuff as well as more mid - uptempo. Just a great mix across the 60s Northern sounds. As Des said all the stuff that has always been part of the Northern scene.

See you on the 18th October  :thumbsup:

All best

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I do need to get myself along to SHS though, that much is for sure  :hatsoff2:

Is Stuart Tyler really a resident there Dave? Is he back for good from Gurnsey?

Its great Ian. Right along the lines of Soul in the City with a dancefloor.  :thumbup:

Social source share

I'd put it somewhere in between to be honest Pete. The tempo changes between the two.

Same here - I'd say it would be more acceptable if it was a 'heart wrenching female' vocal......but that could be just me. It's just that some of the mail vocals can be 'down beat' in comparison.

Social source share

Cheers Len for the like on Mikki Farrow, remember a time when mid gems like Hytones-Bigger and Better, Chuck Jackson-Whats with this lonliness, Just Brothers-Go on and laugh, Jesse James (aka Arcades)Are you gonna leave me, Cleveland Wilson (aka OC Tolbert) I,m shooting high, Young Brothers-Baby, Sweets-Something about my baby, Buddy Smith-When you lose, James Lately-Love Friends and Money etc were all to be heard on the same night, and more that I could have mentioned, aaah, the great days

Kev

Indeed, the great days mate - This is how me and Nina (my wife) 'clicked' :D 

It took me over 20 years to get Mikki Farrow, and the day I got it, I gave my pressing to Ping (from Cambridge area).....they were so alike, I got mixed up, and thought I'd given him the wrong copy for a second! :D 

All the best,

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Surely the question should be has it really gone away, and if so why did you let it if you are still on scene. This p*sh about people not liking it at nighters was proved wrong for many years according to my experience. Maybe its our fault for being too apathetic to ever step out away from keyboard, but when I see the records getting discounted I know where I am better off. Again surely its all about the quality of the punters, and the bottle (or lack of) of the multitude of "new" DJ's!

Some of the records on here being described as midtempo answer that really, Sandy Fn Golden, Barbara sodding Lewis, just proper Northern Soul records that if they spoil your night, then I repeat you ain't on the scene I was on, thankfully. I think the definition of stuff like this as being too slow to play says more about todays sheep like punters than the quality of music. Mr Cane sums up mid tempo to me perfectly, and don't bother arguing with me. I am right.

Sad shaking head smiley required please.

Well said Jocko. No offence / shock intended here mate - but if I were to cut you, I recon you would 'bleed northern soul'.......I wonder who else would?......... :D 

We miss you guys, 'and the like' :yes:

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Surely the question should be has it really gone away, and if so why did you let it if you are still on scene. This p*sh about people not liking it at nighters was proved wrong for many years according to my experience. Maybe its our fault for being too apathetic to ever step out away from keyboard, but when I see the records getting discounted I know where I am better off. Again surely its all about the quality of the punters, and the bottle (or lack of) of the multitude of "new" DJ's! Some of the records on here being described as midtempo answer that really, Sandy Fn Golden, Barbara sodding Lewis, just proper Northern Soul records that if they spoil your night, then I repeat you ain't on the scene I was on, thankfully. I think the definition of stuff like this as being too slow to play says more about todays sheep like punters than the quality of music. Mr Cane sums up mid tempo to me perfectly, and don't bother arguing with me. I am right. Sad shaking head smiley required please.

I don't think they have gone away mate. I think some people's idea of what mid tempo and beat ballads differs. You still hear the likes of Tommy Ridgely, Eddie Whitehead, James Lately, Nu-Rons, John An The Weirdest and many more at all-nighters. Maybe not at Kings Hall but even there I dare say they play their fair share. Butch has some great mid tempo in his set, had me up to the decks a few times in recent times. Andy Dyson, Mick H, Kitch, Sam, Arthu Cliff and more still play mid tempo so maybe people should choose their venues a bit more carefully.

Even Burnley plays its fair share despite what the uptempo terrorist Terry preaches.

Beat ballads is a different case, they have disappeared, not entirely but you might get two a night whereas in the 80's it would be two per set, not as many kind as people think there was.

I might go through the Stafford stuff at the weekend and pick out 100 influential/great mid tempo numbers.

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 1
Social source share