Mid Tempo, Will It Ever Return?

Simsy

Sea Shells - a quiet home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBnKUAN8qbM

Of course! BEAUTIFUL! BEAUTIFUL! BEAUTIFUL! - always reminds me of Ion this..........I 'did a Moses' at a local Soul Night a few years back with this - I tried to 'skilfully' splice it in, but 'parted the seas'! :D.....Then lies the question of should I have played it of course - I think so, or some would never get to hear such lovely stuff (I 'pulled it all back' ok)

Len :thumbsup: 

Social source share

Of course! BEAUTIFUL! BEAUTIFUL! BEAUTIFUL! - always reminds me of Ion this..........I 'did a Moses' at a local Soul Night a few years back with this - I tried to 'skilfully' splice it in, but 'parted the seas'! :D.....Then lies the question of should I have played it of course - I think so, or some would never get to hear such lovely stuff (I 'pulled it all back' ok)

Sell it me then Len. :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Now then Dave

"My last letter" now there is an absolutely fantastic soul record, the horns and the pleading vocal are something else

Kev

Hi Kev, yup agree with ya mate. One of those that knocked me bandy on first hearing and still does.

No, really it's a load of sh*t cuz ya can't dance to it   :wicked:

:thumbsup:

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Hi Kev, yup agree with ya mate. One of those that knocked me bandy on first hearing and still does.

No, really it's a load of sh*t cuz ya can't dance to it   :wicked:

:lol: Know what you mean Dave, todays culture won,t tolerate gems like that, but as yourself, I can remember the time when stuff like that was the staple diet at venues, been here before, but still and always will think it was miles more soulful when it was underground

Kev

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Quite possibly my all time favourite.....

Chalky, i was wracking my head the other day. Who did a female version of the Tommy Ridgley ?.. I know I've heard it somewhere.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Unreleased Gloria Edwards. It should have stayed unreleased as well IMO, crock o shite :lol:

Thanks mate, knew I'd heard it. Yup, a bit insipid in comparison

Social source share

Robert Parker - "I caught you in a lie".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMNMOepitVg

Great tune! :thumbsup: 

When I were courting our lass, she asked me about this record on a Pete S tape she had and really liked. It turned out to be the above. I boldly said that I had a copy and she could have it if she wanted. 

The next week I think it was, I saw one go for 90 quid.  :ohmy:

Fortunately,things have panned out in such a way, that it's just over there in the record cupboard. It may not be in my box, but yeah ... :pirate: .

• Helpful 1
Social source share

.......This is gonna sound soooooooo snobby......but....if I hear this at a local soul night I f*ckin cringe, whereas if I'm in the company of 'really' like minded folk, I'm in my soul heaven with it - go figure! :D 

ah I see so folks who go to local soul nights are not worthy

Social source share

:lol: Know what you mean Dave, todays culture won,t tolerate gems like that, but as yourself, I can remember the time when stuff like that was the staple diet at venues, been here before, but still and always will think it was miles more soulful when it was underground

Kev

Complete with Matt from Wigan (Walthamstow / Matt 'n' Jane) dancing away for hours.......

Social source share

ah I see so folks who go to local soul nights are not worthy

No, sorry that did sound bad - Not at all, I just have nice old memories of my own - Shouldn't of said that - Sos folkz (Sometimes what I write, ain't quite what I mean) I meant it in a 'things ain't quite what they used to be' kinda way, that's all Ted - We are all very precious about our own golden memories. One thing I would never have is that 'holier than thou' thing going on - the absolute opposite in fact.

Edited by LEN
Social source share

I aim to please mate, bloody true though :yes:

How ya doin mate, you off to the York alldayer to hear some proper tunes

Hi Dekka see you on Saturday at York, best stay away then when I'm on in the 2nd room........

Social source share

Thought this was a thread that was asking the question "mid tempo, will it ever return?" Not please upload a load of terrible tunes that you have played out, and you can't understand why the dance floor wasn't heaving.

I like mid tempo, but it has to have something special. You can't expect people to travel to a do, pay money and then be forced to listen to stuff that you think is great, but isn't getting a reaction from the dance floor. Sure, it can take time for a record to become popular, but most of these on this thread don't have anything to move a person to dance. We are all desperate for something fresh, but they don't make sixties soul any more, and you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear. Half an hour listening to this stuff I'd be phoning the Samaritans.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

No, sorry that did sound bad - Not at all, I just have nice old memories of my own - Shouldn't of said that - Sos folkz (Sometimes what I write, ain't quite what I mean) I meant it in a 'things ain't quite what they used to be' kinda way, that's all Ted - We are all very precious about our own golden memories. One thing I would never have is that 'holier than thou' thing going on - the absolute opposite in fact.

strange Len that's exactly how I imagine you feel or you come across :lol:

Social source share

strange Len that's exactly how I imagine you feel or you come across :lol:

.....Unfortunately, I imagine (and have been told) that's how I do come across to some - they presume I am a snob (and look down my nose at new comers especially), and to get it across that I don't can be a task on a local level at least. I've had....."I used to f*ckin hate you, before I met you, but you're actually alright" (said in a surprised voice) Work that one out!......apparently, I don't do myself any favours.........Nothing wrong in having standards though Ted (Doh! - I've done it again ain't I?) :D 

......If only 'they' knew.....(I'm just a 'Tortured Soul', that loves his soul music)

Anyway - back to 'the programme!' - How about this little Gem?

All the best,

'Bobby Sansom - Don't Leave'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx6QTuzgFVg

Edited by LEN
Social source share

.....Unfortunately, I imagine (and have been told) that's how I do come across to some - they presume I am a snob (and look down my nose at new comers especially), and to get it across that I don't can be a task on a local level at least. I've had....."I used to f*ckin hate you, before I met you, but you're actually alright" (said in a surprised voice) Work that one out!......apparently, I don't do myself any favours.........Nothing wrong in having standards though Ted (Doh! - I've done it again ain't I?) :D 

......If only 'they' knew.....(I'm just a 'Tortured Soul', that loves his soul music)

Anyway - back to 'the programme!' - How about this little Gem?

All the best,

'Bobby Sansom - Don't Leave'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx6QTuzgFVg

another one I play out at pure Soul :yes:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I play this at Pure Soul, & it goes down quite well :yes:

I know, I was just being facetious - damn this two dimensional world! :D 

Have to say though, that some 'really' hit the spot with me, whereas others don't - I suppose that's the same for us all, but with different tunes.....and the debate carries on.....that's got to be healthy at least - I've always enjoyed the rival banter, and although sensitive, I don't actually take that personally, it can be real fun.

Social source share

Half an hour listening to this stuff I'd be phoning the Samaritans.

Phil, I've rung em for you. They said there's nothing they can do mate, its just cluelessness lol (I'll try not to push you further into the abyss though by posting anything else) Edited by PhilT
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Regardless of the occasion, nighter, soul night, sunday dayer, walking down't street, sat in the bath, off me tits or not, whatever, I like to listen to soul across a varying range of tempos. In fact, tempo is not something I ever particularly consider when buying and enjoying records... it seems that often emphasis is placed on tempo above soulful content - good dancers can and do dance to midtempo and even the odd beat ballad, and thankfully there are discerning nighter events that do accomodate the whole musical range ***edit*** but more midtempo please... So in answer to the question, will it return? Absolutely, that's if it ever actually went away...

I'd be happy to hear this midtempo crossover gem any time, any place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tLnZA9GYf8

Edited by JIMMY SOUL
  • Helpful 2
Social source share