Ian Levines 10Th Podcast

Wiganer1

Ian claims to have five records not listed in any guide. He starts this podcast with all five of these, before he then goes on to play Irma Routen. He says that these five are not in Manship's and not in Tim Brown's price guides. The Products, The Panics, Cilka And The Second Generation, Bobby Richardson, and Toni Mathis. Does anyone know any of these ?? Are they as unknown as Ian thinks ?? ... got to admit he really does do it this time ! Levine is BACK !

Social source share

I'll remember that as I attempt to escape from the venue.

Ha Ha with you on that Pete, had a listen to the beginning of the podcast admittedly on low volume in the early hours, of the 5 "unknowns" 3 of them sound like they should be on sounds of the 60s on radio 2, pretty awful pop music with a beat imo  :huh:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The Products sounds like Heat wave in the beginning... its good but as with allot of these really rare 6ts things, would you pay the money quoted £2k? I wouldn't, happy to have it on i-Tunes and a Nice scan of the original... you could get a Shirley Edwards on Shrine for £2k right? well there you go....

Panics, Its ok... its a bouncy 6ts song, Like the Sax best, vocals are a tad Light....give you £30 for it.. maybe you can pull some other 45's for the remaining £1970?

Silka, I like allot... Just not that keen on the vocal... maybe it will grow on me,   £35 for that one Ian.. does it have an Instrumental side?

Bobby Richardson, Box std R&B track, but square, dunno £30 for that one...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

prepare yourself for a facebook trollying you cant talk about the messiah like that

I just did.....been there already mate, but the thing is there are too many folk on SS that can de bunk Ians claims for exclusivity...the are not so many on FB who can be bothered, so we all get Ians venom on FB....Ians issue with SS has always been that he couldnt bullsh*t the majority of members, nor do they keep quiet about it....Ian Levine was a legend, now he isnt.... 

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I just did.....been there already mate, but the thing is there are too many folk on SS that can de bunk Ians claims for exclusivity...the are not so many on FB so we all get Ians venom on FB....Ians issue with SS has always been that he couldnt bullsh*t the majority of members, nor do they keep quiet about it....Ian Levine was a legend, now he isnt.... 

Russ

it was tongue in cheek, I know whos proper and who aint, and your on the money mate 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The are 2 things Ian needs to do, number one visit some quality venues & hear some DJ's playing quality sets, this needs to be done over a period of time, so he can get a feel for todays 'sound'.  Number 2, shut up with the self promotion & just play good records.  If IL did this, I think he could really do the business.....I think Ian is being advised by people who want to sell records.....

Russ

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I've enjoyed some of all of the podcasts that he's put up.

Like everything else, his opinion about what constitutes a great track will, ocassionally differ from mine. It was ever thus.

His 'unknown' comments will iritate those in the know but surely after all this time we will come to expect the self promotion and grandiose claims from him so why the angst?

I tend to ignore his comments and concentrate on the sounds, it seems a safer option for my blood pressure.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I enjoy some of the stuff & would rather have the Podcasts out there to listen to than not,I would also add that they probably take some doin too, but if you put things in the public domain, then you should be prepared for people to comment both favourable or not....I would suggest that you check out IL FB & then let us know if you think his response is balanced or not....

Best Russ

Social source share

I enjoy some of the stuff & would rather have the Podcasts out there to listen to than not,I would also add that they probably take some doin too, but if you put things in the public domain, then you should be prepared for people to comment both favourable or not....I would suggest that you check out IL FB & then let us know if you think his response is balanced or not....

Best Russ

Yeah but we know from past cosy chats with Ian on here, his response is likely to be anything but balanced.

Like I say it was ever thus...........

• Helpful 1
Social source share

can any of these podcasts be downloaded to  itunes = anyone know?

Not officially but I shall tell you how to do it Mark.

Copy the address of the podcast (the url)

go to this site

www.offliberty.com

paste in the address that you copied

it will now download

• Helpful 3
Social source share

A lot of Ian's tunes sound a bit like show tunes, but I still enjoy listening to see if there are any gems in there and there quite often is. A couple I will probably pick up and some I have sold on, there is a famous saying that fits.

" there's nothing new in this world except the history you do not know"

Social source share

I quite liked Irma Routen when  I first heard it from Barrie Waddington about 10 years ago so bought it off him for £150 and sold it on here for about the same I think- Played it out a couple of times when I first bought it to bemused punters and I have to agree with Pete - It does sound like a show tune. If IM not mistaken the other side is pretty good. Never seen an Issue copy.

Edited by Ernie Andrews
Social source share

Hi Ian...X Hope your well and thanx for your effort in putting the podcast together with us SS folk in mind!x I don't know the history betwixt ureself and this site....and tbf...I ain't interested either. However....don't be too harsh on us 'all'! I'm an independent and speak as I find. I appreciate your time served and again thank you for your tunes that impacted my life in a positive way....such as Weakspot...LJ...Chuck.....and The Exciters....all bread and butter stuff to me back in the mid 70's....happy days...!x However...as a 'neutral' i've paid you the courtesy of listening to your podcast....a rareity as I don't do music....only when playing it meself!x In fact I possibly upset a lovely Lady in here a few weeks back by not accepting her kind offer of sending me her DJ CD....cos I don't listen to music other than at dooes!! Therefore....consider yourself privileged from that perspective!x

I scooted through it....and The Startones....Loving You....was me nugget.....end of!x Perhaps i've been spoilt! There is a guy around Cambridge way called Chris Brown. He was DJing aged 15 at our Youth Club circa '75....and went into local Commercial Radio and has had huge success with 'soul' over the years as a DJ Nationwide However....like your podcast.....Chris went mad for the 70's....after loving the 60's....and followed the 'modern' course throughout the past 30 years really. Most of what I heard on your podcast.....had his 'sound' throughout! Unfortunately....not my thing!x Too laid back for me to listen or dance too most of it! I flirted with the Funk scene but was never a 'floater' as far as Soul goes......ar*e kicking stirring stuff....is 'soul' to me! It also reminds me of 'session' stuff that i've heard much of.......recylced recycling...in my mind!x Forgive me basic vocabulary but I don;t know the proper music critique terms!x

10 years ago you said to me that you considered it important to 'entertain' the crowd and not play 'rareities' to each other.....on that basis....I look forward to what you consider 'Northern'...obscure or mainstream.....and would give you the courtesy of listening to it with pleasure...X

LUV
SOOTY
X

.....as a side point mate.....you must luv this site really...! It motivated u to put at least 5 hours of your time together for it....!x Direct motivation only comes with feeling Ian....and its appreciated by me whatever....without passion.....it's pointless.....X

@@
~

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!