Soul City White Demo's (Handwritten By Dave Godin)

Mal C

Been speaking to Glyn Hanford, who is on here, and was telling me about some Soul City hand written White Label 45's that he has, supposedly about 5 or so were done of most of the titles, or the better ones, and all written by Dave Godin himself. In fact Glyn remembers a mate of his getting a bunch of these from Godin back in the late 7ts?

Glyn, maybe you can straighten out the above a bit, say who it was and when, but they are really interesting 45's on a classic label, I know Glyn wants more of them, so if anybody reading this feels inclined to sell or swap sure he would be interested.

here's the scans... cool aren't they.. Dave really had such neat handwriting..

Mal.C

post-2025-0-44491100-1377336694_thumb.jp

post-2025-0-44799400-1377336703_thumb.jp

post-2025-0-47395000-1377336714_thumb.jp

post-2025-0-99378500-1377336724_thumb.jp

Edited by Mal.C.
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Been speaking to Glyn Hanford, who is on here, and was telling me about some Soul City hand written White Label 45's that he has, supposedly about 5 or so were done of most of the titles, or the better ones, and all written by Dave Godin himself. In fact Glyn remembers a mate of his getting a bunch of these from Godin back in the late 7ts?

Glyn, maybe you can straighten out the above a bit, say who it was and when, but they are really interesting 45's on a classic label, I know Glyn wants more of them, so if anybody reading this feels inclined to sell or swap sure he would be interested.

here's the scans... cool aren't they.. Dave really had such neat handwriting..

Mal.C

These are a great piece of history indeed
Social source share

When I was involved in issuing singles in the mid 1970s the pressing plant would always send at least three white label test copies of a record before going ahead with the pressing run. I don't think they would do more than five white label test copies as they didn't charge for doing them.Of the ones I've still got some I wrote the numbers on but most I didn't bother. It looks like Dave preferred to always put  the details on his test copies.

I suppose the white label ones are rare but the black and white demos just look so good that they must be more desirable and valuable.

Rick

• Helpful 1
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL  Here we go again, the SC110 come from a NORTH LONDON HOSPITAL, NORTH WING HOSPITAL RADIO? On that subject, many rare records, were discovered back in the 7t's in hospitals tucked away in store rooms, my close friend found 5000 PAMA 45s in the same place as the SC110 :huh:

:yes:  :yes: DAVE Kpost-13241-0-79214800-1377524635_thumb.jpost-13241-0-62532000-1377524666_thumb.j :D NICE

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 1 year later...

:hatsoff2: HI ALL Yes indeed these are some really rare items, issued on the ORIGANAL SOUL CITY LABEL, never to be confused with the reissue label,

The most valuable white label, is 113 & 114. then 108, the 112 is also very elusive, 111is hard, and 110 is the most common of the white labels, other demos are the black & white SOUL CITY LABEL,

It was the intention of DAVE to carry on with the BLACK & WHITE DEMO LABEL on all releases, but after his massive disappointment that made him a scape goat, for all the illicit dealings that were common & almost routine for GUY STEVENS & CHRIS BLACKWELL in the running of SUE&ISLAND RECORDS that come to an abrupt finish in 67, hence the new direction of ISLAND with it's new PINK LABEL, the ending of SUE, & John Abbey taking on the new ACTION LABEL following on from his work with SUE, & the JAMAICAN releases under the offshoot B&C with TROJAN, SOUL CITY & DAVE nearly went bust with the release of 108, the track only had been leased for album release.

To make the point the parent company PHILLIPS/FONTANA were on DAVES case by withdrawing the 108 release after 1 week, (it seems quite clear that DAVE did not send back all his copies, but it still makes the "STAR/ONE MORE CHANCE" the most desirable of all of SOUL CITY stock copies,

As for the blanks they are only a handful of them given out by DAVE, I HAVE ONLY 2 WHITE LABELS, ROY GELDER has them all except 1, & MICK SMITH had all the known DEMOS BLACK & WHITE & WHITE LABELS,

It may be the case that there are more white labels out there? more important are there more BLACK & WHITE SOUL CITY LABEL DEMOS?

With only 19 issues and SOUL CITY 444 ACITATE CHRIS JACSON + 2 444 UNFINSHED CHRIS JACKSON Recordings, anything related to DEEP SOUL & SOUL CITIY labels that is unknown is very collectable,

As for value of white labels, I have just put them in the order of rarity, as I'm aware that some collectors do not put a high price on them,

As Pete Smith say's it's not hard to make white labels & he is right, however I would love to own more :thumbsup: HOPE THIS HELPS :huh: DAVE K

Thanks all for another  very informative and entertaining thread on soul-source.

For anyone interested in Dave Godin's musings on the subject of Soul, I have posted an old interview with Richard Searling

on mixcloud, from August 1998,  you can find it here.

Edited by Mick Sway
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!