Moses Smith

Guest lewisslade

Guest lewisslade

Hi all, first time poster here, hope I've come to the right place.

I have very little information on Moses Smith, other than his short output of great records.

Does anyone know much about him?

Here is what I have tracked down so far, if there is anything else PLEASE do let me know :-)

Thanks all.

The Girl Across the Street - DION 508 (1968)

01.The Girl Across the Street (3.03) - Tom Moulton Mix?

02.Hey Love, (I Wanna' Thank You) (2.55)

Keep On Striving - COTILLION 45-44075 (1970)

01.Keep On Striving (2.43)

02.Come On, Let Me Love You (3.10)

The Northern Side of Philly Soul (Compilation) - Jaime 4019 (2002)

01.Try My Love (2.15) (1968)

02.Try My Love (Instrumental) (2.15) (1968)

I also have this but not sure where it is from?:

The Girl Across the Street (4.12) - Original/Demo Mix?

Social source share

I have very little information on Moses Smith, other than his short output of great records.

Here is what I have tracked down so far, if there is anything else PLEASE do let me know :-)

Thanks all.

The Northern Side of Philly Soul (Compilation) - Jaime 4019 (2002)

The long version of Girl Across The Street is from the same CD as above

Social source share

Thanks all.

The Northern Side of Philly Soul (Compilation) - JAIME 4019 (2002)

Was this a Mexican-American label?  :lol:  Or just a typo, which should have been spelt: "Jamie"?  I didn't know that Jamie Records was still in operation in 2002.  or, had it been shut down previously, and revived?

Social source share

Guest lewisslade

Just found a webpage with some detail of the Dionn label, by all accounts Moses Smith won a local singing contest at the Uptown Theater in Philadelphia as he signed for the label.

https://jamguy.com/dionn/

I've a feeling it could take a number of years to stick together some kind of history for this artist!

Social source share

Just found a webpage with some detail of the Dionn label, by all accounts Moses Smith won a local singing contest at the Uptown Theater in Philadelphia as he signed for the label.

https://jamguy.com/dionn/

I've a feeling it could take a number of years to stick together some kind of history for this artist!

Jamguy is Frank Lipsius, the son of the original Jamie / Guyden guy who also distributed numerous other labels (Arctic for instance).

He will be in the UK (again) in a few weeks with John Ellison.

He's available for radio / magazine interviews (he's promoting his big Arctic Records CD/ vinyl package still) whilst here.

Anyone interested can make contact with him via me if they like.

Whatever info is still around (from his father's old files or from his Philly contacts) on Moses Smith he will be able to pass along I'm sure.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Guest lewisslade

Jamguy is Frank Lipsius, the son of the original Jamie / Guyden guy who also distributed numerous other labels (Arctic for instance).

He will be in the UK (again) in a few weeks with John Ellison.

He's available for radio / magazine interviews (he's promoting his big Arctic Records CD/ vinyl package still) whilst here.

Anyone interested can make contact with him via me if they like.

Whatever info is still around (from his father's old files or from his Philly contacts) on Moses Smith he will be able to pass along I'm sure.

WOW, excellent chance! PLEASE see if you can get ANY info on Moses Smith, any other releases? What become of him? Background? Etc...

Thanks so much for replying here, the marvel of the internet, can still bring us all together :-)

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

Evening Lewis!

Good to see you on here Fella :D  Must say I was surprised to see the name pop up!

Teresa/ Fu

Social source share

Guest lewisslade

He also cut a version of "Tell It Like It Is" that never made it to vinyl

Des

Hi Des, neat, how do you know this?

Thank you.

Social source share

Guest lewisslade

Evening Lewis!

Good to see you on here Fella :D  Must say I was surprised to see the name pop up!

Teresa/ Fu

HaHa, well well well, small world indeed...!

Thought this seemed like the place where the people in the know hung out, so took a plunge :-)

Hope all be well with you x

Social source share

• 5 months later...

I was listening to a podcast of Richard Serling doing a radio show on Smooth Radio today. It was a tribute to the Torch, Va Vas and other clubs from the past. He plays records associated with those clubs. In the show he refers to Moses Smith (following playing The Girl Across The Street) as being a white artiste from Philadelphia whom the record companies could recall nothing of. If so, how is it known he was white etc?

Is there now more known about this singer?

Regards.

Drew.

Social source share

I think it's really unlikely that he was a white guy if he won a talent contest at the Uptown Theatre. Also the way he sings on his Cotillion single, plus the lyrics, makes me sceptical of that particular claim. All the other acts on Dionn would appear to be African-Americans and most of the signings came via the Uptown where George and Gilda Woods (famous Philly DJ and his wife who co-owned owned Dionn) hosted the talent shows.

The Woods' were prominent in black life in Philadelphia, including the Civil Rights movement. The idea they would get a white guy to sing "Keep On Striving" seems perverse.

I bow to your knowledge and view sir.

I'm only the messenger as to what Richard Sirling states (on this particular podcast - not holding him to anything here by the way).

Even with my limited ear for picking out the nuances of music, I would have thought Mr Smith was/is an Afican American. He does state he is going to "axe her out on a date" in TGATS.

Regards.

Drew.  

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!