So Called Accusations Against Exisiting Members

fed up of people coming on here and posting accusations against existing members and when these are proven wrong, not having the decency to hold hands up and say "sorry got it wrong"

think fair to say that most if not all of our well known members have been subject to this, and while the original thinking of allowing such posts was it helps clear up misunderstandings, kills rumours and such, due to the misuse by some am now looking at this issue very closely

Hang on Mike i know your hands are full with postings if you are talking about the KR postings that should have not been posted in the 1st place with new members coming on all postings should be checked.

Cheers Billy

Social source share

• Replies 126
  • Views 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I think it's fine the way it is, as anything else would be too Big Brother and censorial, which I wouldn't want and would stifle interesting debates/revelations. A pain at time for the mods as they do have legal responsibilities, but there is no better way of doing it I'm afraid.

I also feel slightly sorry for Soulsearcher (Sharon) in that she has provided her name and so is hardly anonymous. Think your comments Winnie are a bit self righteous saying that nobody appears to know her etc - what is she meant to do when she joins, get 10 recommendations from Soul Sourcers or provide pictorial evidence of her on the dancefloor? Are we turning into the sodding masons? :thumbsup: This is meant to be an informative and fun forum not some sort of weird insular society. As with any other member she needs to stick to the rules and fair play, but equally if other members have made threats by PM or email (and I have no clue either way or much interest for that matter whether there's any truth in that or not) then they need to be kept in check too. It should be a level playing field, irrespective of whether you're a "celebrity" of the scene, a regular poster or a newbie. Sometimes on here it gets all a bit too incestuous and self-righteous :shades:

Rich

Social source share

don't take the below the wrong way, mark, it's not a dig. just pointing out that it's all about your/each person's perspective :thumbsup:

i think it all comes down to how sensitive and thin-skinned a person is (and you seem to be being sensitive on behalf of the entire world, here, which is taking it a bit far; i don't think you've suffered too many personal attacks, have you? when was the last time you were 'shot down'? i must admit, i don't read every post so it could have been yesterday for all i know but i can't remember it ever happening :shhh: ).

the above post, for starters, could be seen to be pontificating and a personal dig by you...you're trying to dictate to other people, on a free forum, what they should and shouldn't say and having a dig at those people who post in ways of which you don't approve.

it just doesn't work like that, and it shouldn't, either.

the other night, on the kev roberts thing, you posted a slightly superior one liner about how it was all so boring...and then carried on watching the thread for the next two hours (as i pointed out, tongue-in-cheek). you can't have it both ways, you know :D .

if you don't want to post, that's up to you but i don't think you should really expect everyone else to fit in with your way of thinking in the hope that you'll post more often.

the bottom line, for me, is that this is a really big forum, with lots of sections.

if people don't like certain bits of it, they DON'T HAVE TO READ THEM.

it really is that simple.

if all you're interested in is, say, gig reviews, plugging your radio show and buying, selling and sharing sounds (all honourable things to use the site for) just use the relevant areas.

if you want to join in with a load of people wittering about a darts team ( :shades: ), do that.

if you like a good row about conspiracies, get involved...there's plenty of bile to go round :D

Well said Dan.

And also, well done for finally making a post which doesn't tell us how great Ady Croasdel is :(:D:(

Social source share

Well said Dan.

And also, well done for finally making a post which doesn't tell us how great Ady Croasdel is :thumbsup::shades::shhh:

:D he's my hero

Social source share

You don't say??? :thumbsup:

services to the soul music scene etc*...a bit like kev's yours :shades:

*(i don't think i've mentioned him that much - just bigged up kent records and the 100 club occasionally, something i will do forevermore without fear or favour. there's nothing...er...weird... about it, peter :shhh: )

If they made a film about northern soul Ady would be played by Chuck Norris, no doubt. :D

Chuck Norris doesn't 'play' anyone. Chuck Norris simply 'is'. Anyone who says Chuck Norris 'plays' people will receive a roundhouse kick to the face.

Social source share

services to the soul music scene etc*...a bit like kev's yours :thumbsup:

Kev is no hero of mine, no dj is, well perhaps maybe Richard S, I only butt in with comments defending Kev when he's getting a pasting for no reason. Whereas in the past 12 months you have nominated Ady for everything including Poet Lauriate and the Popes Special Envoy.

Social source share

Can anyone give me a good reason why members should not simply use their own names ?

Well Dave in answer to your question, but by no means a dig at you personally, I'll explain how it was for me.... and I suspect most others using "usernames"....

Maybe, like me, when you originally "signed up" you had to put a "username"..... remember, not your name but a username.... after much "shall I use this or shall I use that username", I opted for one that I use on most other things I have to log into that uses a "username and password".... means I don't have to have loads of "usernames" in use and I don't have to think "what username did I use on here".... I know this site "remembers" you (unless you delete your cookies folder) but on joining I didn't know that.... eBay "remembers you" if the option is ticked but only for 24 hours since last log in.... presumed this was the same....

I know since then, through various upgrades or alterations, Mike has incorporated the option of changing your "visible" name from that of, by default then, your username.... I thought of changing that option to my name but, after so long, I thought why bother....

What I did do was "edit" what is shown under the avatar bit, the wording that if left to default, indicates your amount of posts, massive again, getting more spins, etc., to my name....

Yours with much love Dave :thumbsup: .... Lord Lucan :shades::shhh::D ....

p.s. as for stopping these "one of dig posts" by new users, well I'm not sure that can ever be controlled....

Edited by vaultofsouler
Social source share

Well Dave in answer to your question, but by no means a dig at you personally, I'll explain how it was for me.... and I suspect most others using "usernames"....

Maybe, like me, when you originally "signed up" you had to put a "username"..... remember, not your name but a username.... after much "shall I use this or shall I use that username", I opted for one that I use on most other things I have to log into that uses a "username and password".... means I don't have to have loads of "usernames" in use and I don't have to think "what username did I use on here".... I know this site "remembers" you (unless you delete your cookies folder) but on joining I didn't know that.... eBay "remembers you" if the option is ticked but only for 24 hours since last log in.... presumed this was the same....

I know since then, through various upgrades or alterations, Mike has incorporated the option of changing your "visible" name from that of, by default then, your username.... I thought of changing that option to my name but, after so long, I thought why bother....

What I did do was "edit" what is shown under the avatar bit, the wording that if left to default, indicates your amount of posts, massive again, getting more spins, etc., to my name....

Yours with much love Dave :D .... Lord Lucan :thumbsup::shades::shhh: ....

p.s. as for stopping these "one of dig posts" by new users, well I'm not sure that can ever be controlled....

Er yes, but I just put Dave Rimmer in 'username' :D

Social source share

don't take the below the wrong way, mark, it's not a dig. just pointing out that it's all about your/each person's perspective :thumbsup:

i think it all comes down to how sensitive and thin-skinned a person is (and you seem to be being sensitive on behalf of the entire world, here, which is taking it a bit far; i don't think you've suffered too many personal attacks, have you? when was the last time you were 'shot down'? i must admit, i don't read every post so it could have been yesterday for all i know but i can't remember it ever happening :shades: ).

the above post, for starters, could be seen to be pontificating and a personal dig by you...you're trying to dictate to other people, on a free forum, what they should and shouldn't say and having a dig at those people who post in ways of which you don't approve.

it just doesn't work like that, and it shouldn't, either.

the other night, on the kev roberts thing, you posted a slightly superior one liner about how it was all so boring...and then carried on watching the thread for the next two hours (as i pointed out, tongue-in-cheek). you can't have it both ways, you know :shhh: .

if you don't want to post, that's up to you but i don't think you should really expect everyone else to fit in with your way of thinking in the hope that you'll post more often.

the bottom line, for me, is that this is a really big forum, with lots of sections.

if all you're interested in is, say, gig reviews, plugging your radio show and buying, selling and sharing sounds (all honourable things to use the site for) just use the relevant areas.

if you want to join in with a load of people wittering about a darts team ( :D ), do that.

if you like a good row about conspiracies, get involved...there's plenty of bile to go round :D

Taken in the genuine way it was written, no i did not mean personal attacts at me directly as such as i really don't care that much on a personal note, i meant simply that the general negatives on here sometimes are a little over the top, it has a habbit of getting too personal with hidden agendas and perhaps personal axes to grind, so if you do have something good, decent or constructive to say it can sometimes get lost in the mix.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

I think it's fine the way it is, as anything else would be too Big Brother and censorial, which I wouldn't want and would stifle interesting debates/revelations. A pain at time for the mods as they do have legal responsibilities, but there is no better way of doing it I'm afraid.

I also feel slightly sorry for Soulsearcher (Sharon) in that she has provided her name and so is hardly anonymous. Think your comments Winnie are a bit self righteous saying that nobody appears to know her etc - what is she meant to do when she joins, get 10 recommendations from Soul Sourcers or provide pictorial evidence of her on the dancefloor? Are we turning into the sodding masons? :thumbsup: This is meant to be an informative and fun forum not some sort of weird insular society. As with any other member she needs to stick to the rules and fair play, but equally if other members have made threats by PM or email (and I have no clue either way or much interest for that matter whether there's any truth in that or not) then they need to be kept in check too. It should be a level playing field, irrespective of whether you're a "celebrity" of the scene, a regular poster or a newbie. Sometimes on here it gets all a bit too incestuous and self-righteous :shades:

Rich

================

Rich,

I'm not sure how the comments were self righteous, initially Lucy/Sharon's posts were anonymous, and quite vitriolic, I doubted the validity because it's rare for someone to join and make such a post. It has happened in the past and has usually been proven to be someone with an agenda.

Mike said he was annoyed at people coming on SS and making unsubstantiated accusations etc, and since that post people have been putting up suggestions. One that I made was regarding the validity of a person. For instance, if I say something controversial, and you don't like it, and I'm using a pseudonym, you could if you wanted find out if anybody in my area knew me etc (provided I've given you the correct area) That was what I meant by self moderating, most of us know someone via someone, so must of us appear to be real people. Nobody came on and said I know Sharon/Lucy, even though she said she'd been on the scene for 30 years, I found that a little strange when her identity was being questioned.

Everything is a level playing field as far as I'm concerned, I comment on who's posts I want to and how I want, to despite who they are, or their standing on the scene. But I maintain if your first post is a rant, then it's probably going to be questioned by someone.

Sharon/Lucy not sure which you prefer, I apologise for doubting your authenticity, which was my main bone of contention from within your post.

Rich I don't apologise for questioning who she is and if you think that's self righteous then so be it!

Winnie:-)

Er yes, but I just put Dave Rimmer in 'username' :shhh:

============

But are you the real Dave Rimmer? :D

Dave Rimmer :-)

Social source share

Taken in the genuine way it was written, no i did not mean personal attacts at me directly as such as i really don't care that much on a personal note, i meant simply that the general negatives on here sometimes are a little over the top, it has a habbit of getting too personal with hidden agendas and perhaps personal axes to grind, so if you do have something good, decent or constructive to say it can sometimes get lost in the mix.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

fair dos mark, as you've seen it wasn't a pop

i stick by what i said though: sticks and stones will break my bones etc...people should just ignore people/posts you don't like as you would in the real world

by the way, and not apropos the above, does anyone else think this whole thing is a bit surreal? easy to see how some people get sucked in to cyberspace and start thinking it's real isn't it

Social source share

But are you the real Dave Rimmer? :thumbsup:

Dave Rimmer :-)

To be honest no, my real name is Winnie.

Perhaps it's just me being a bit naive, but why on earth would I want to put someone else's name. I'm allegedly an adult, which means I have to accept responsibility for what I say and do. So I use my own name on this, and all the other forums I'm on. If you don't like what I say, tough, but at least I'm prepared to say it, and identify myself when I say it, and stand by what I said.

I'm always slightly suspicious of people who don't use their own names, what are they ashamed of ? (No offence Mark, but Vault Of Souler identifies you pretty much anyway.)

Edited by Dave Rimmer
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Rich

Wasnt Sharon Initially Rick? Is Rick short for a girls name? is Sharon a girls name? I was at school with a guy named tracey.

Scotty Didnt you just send me at text from Frankfurt?

Isnt it weird how being on the continent, the times of the posts are correct?

Social source share

by the way, and not apropos the above, does anyone else think this whole thing is a bit surreal? easy to see how some people get sucked in to cyberspace and start thinking it's real isn't it

You'd be suprised how many people I meet in the States that think these forums are the "actual" "scene" itself!! :thumbsup:

I'm constantly trying to explain that 50 people posting on a forum is not "The Scene" and that the silent majority are actually more typical of UK soulfolks. :shades:

Regards,

Dave

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

You'd be suprised how many people I meet in the States that think these forums are the "actual" "scene" itself!! :thumbsup:

I'm constantly trying to explain that 50 people posting on a forum is not "The Scene" and that the silent majority are actually more typical of UK soulfolks. :shades:

Regards,

Dave

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

You're talking nonesense Dave.

Are you gunna be one of the faces Jimmy? WHADDA YA MEAN? I AM THE FACE!

If you dont come on Soul Source, and sell all your bootlegs on ebay, your not a real Northern Souler :shhh:

Social source share

I think it would be unfair to 'make' new members use there own names, there is plenty of people on here with puesudims, you would have to make them all change there name too,

You have to think of it this way round (sorry steve im going to use you as a example) steve is 'Little stevie' now if you didnt know steve you would think well who is it, its only because we all know who he is either from being out and about or 'getting to know him' through these pages that you become 'aware' of who the name is.

Well said Baz, I use Winsford Soul but always sign off my post with Steve. And if anybody asked me my surname i would gladly tell them its Smith. The problem with not putting your name or where you live on your personall details is when you post you could be anyone from anywhere. And there are to many unknowns hiding behind false or made up names how are then not accountable for any shit they may cause.

Winsford Soul ph34r.gif:D

Steve

Social source share

fed up of people coming on here and posting accusations against existing members and when these are proven wrong, not having the decency to hold hands up and say "sorry got it wrong"

think fair to say that most if not all of our well known members have been subject to this, and while the original thinking of allowing such posts was it helps clear up misunderstandings, kills rumours and such, due to the misuse by some am now looking at this issue very closely

Hi all readind Mikes post.

You may not know me ph34r.gif but I doubt many have Steve Z as a sign on ATB Steve

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

if you want to join in with a load of people wittering about a darts team ( :D ), do that.

I agree... Arrggghhh what am i saying??? ph34r.gif:D

As for member names, no honestly my second name really is Male (as in real man :D )

M.

Social source share

Guest martinsbox

How about having a box on members profile page for your real name?

Why not have a box after your name like me??

Martin ph34r.gif

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

the reason i don't use my real name is that if the people from the disability benefits department should happen to visit this forum and see that "Andrew ******* from Abergavenny was doing back drops and spins at the allnighter last night" they might ivestigate a bit further and stop the money i claim for my bad back and knackerd knees and flat feet ohmy.gif:D

Social source share

the reason i don't use my real name is that if the people from the disability benefits department should happen to visit this forum and see that "Andrew ******* from Abergavenny was doing back drops and spins at the allnighter last night" they might ivestigate a bit further and stop the money i claim for my bad back and knackerd knees and flat feet ohmy.gif:D

Its not for the back drops you get disability payments :D

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

If they made a film about northern soul Ady would be played by Chuck Norris, no doubt. ohmy.gif

I was thinking more Richard Gere :D it's the boyish good looks :D but i'm not sure if Richard's collection is as good as Ady's....... :D Jo

Social source share

Sharon is my middle name - i don't use Lucy much - hey, how did you find that out anyway?

3 honest questions 1.were you at the marrs last 2. Do you know mad Shane 3.hope to see you at cleethorpes if you don't answer or come back with negative answers next time i see you i will look into your eyes and i know straight away if you put one over me.

Billy by day sue by night

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

3 honest questions 1.were you at the marrs last 2. Do you know mad Shane 3.hope to see you at cleethorpes if you don't answer or come back with negative answers next time i see you i will look into your eyes and i know straight away if you put one over me.

Billy by day sue by night

ohmy.gif

brilliant

see you in cleggy billy.

on a serious note i don't mind the funny names. However, the original post was in reference to the content of some recent posts that have featured unfounded allegations. now that is out of order!

Shane

Edited by ShaneH
Social source share

ohmy.gif

brilliant

see you in cleggy billy.

would be great if you could join me on the waltzer in pleasure island. spinning with billy would be very surreal :D

on a serious note i don't mind the funny names. However, the original post was in reference to the content of some recent posts that have featured unfounded allegations. now that is out of order!

Shane

Shane i won't be there til Saturday night i am on a fun run Saturday morning you always put a smile on my face when i see you i love the way you walk unfounded allegations are out of order that shoud've been taken off straight away theres never a dull day on soul source.

Cheers Sue its getting dark now

Social source share

Can anyone give me a good reason why members should not simply use their own names ?

Butch & Soul Sam.

If false names are good enough for them they're good enough for me :D

Cunnie aka Martin Dixon but quite often called several other unrepeatable things ohmy.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!