What Gives A Soul Night Direction - Punters Or Promoters?

Dean

Guest scottie

been a good thread this pals regardless of what point you take on it, it`s clear to see that there is no lack of passion being shown for all of the different genres of soul and thats got to be good thing.I myself dont bother with the labels i expect to hear them all at an all-nighter.im not a dj so maybe im being out of line,i just wish djs would listen to the other sets so if any records were played that they were planning to play they could pull it and have a plan b.there is such a wealth of stuff to go at but as someone said before youll only hear what you want to hear by staying at home.maybe should start another thread"favourite tracks that never get played at any dos",mine would be "that was the whiskey talkin"by ronnie forte.fear i may have gone off poste again.sorry

Social source share

I've been to lots of 'underplayed' nights over the years, and I've also been to lots of oldies nights to counter balance the argument. The simple thing is that most people don't want educating, they want to go out and enjoy themselves. The other simple thing is that records remained underplayed in the old days because they weren't up to scratch, doesn't matter if they float one person's boat, it's whether or not they appeal to the masses. Play to your crowd, book DJs who follow the venue ethic and that will generate some success.

If you've got vests and bags at the venue, then the music required pretty much chooses itself......doesn't it?

Winnie :)

Hi Win,

'Educated' is a term that I don't like (although I know what is meant by it) The thing is, most people on the soul scene like soul music (obviously) so anybody, and I mean anybody that likes soul music can enjoy 'any' good soul record (obvious again) You're right, people come out to enjoy themselves (obvious 'again,again') and they are 'capable' of doing so listening to some different sounds, if those sounds are (as you say) up to scratch. They just don't want loads of tunes that they are unfamiliar with, that's all.

........Um, as you know.......

.......'Further more' :D......Some of the tunes that some people play as 'cutting edge' are enough to put anyone off, and I'd much prefer to hear a good 'tried and tested' Oldie over some of them........Then that silly 'opinion' thing kicks in don't it? :wink:

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

been a good thread this pals regardless of what point you take on it, it`s clear to see that there is no lack of passion being shown for all of the different genres of soul and thats got to be good thing.I myself dont bother with the labels i expect to hear them all at an all-nighter.im not a dj so maybe im being out of line,i just wish djs would listen to the other sets so if any records were played that they were planning to play they could pull it and have a plan b.there is such a wealth of stuff to go at but as someone said before youll only hear what you want to hear by staying at home.maybe should start another thread"favourite tracks that never get played at any dos",mine would be "that was the whiskey talkin"by ronnie forte.fear i may have gone off poste again.sorry

Yeh, back on topic please :D 

Good post btw - You say.......i"m not a dj so maybe im being out of line".......Far from it mate, you may have hit upon something there, and giving opinions is most important - More so if you ain't a D.J!

All the best,

Social source share

Appreciate your response Scottie, and brings me back to the conversations I was having on Friday (which I know have been mentioned before in threads but then again so has this topic), and I don't think is 'off' the topic started. I'm a bit on the fence and in one mood can argue the point you make about listening to previous sets and taking out previously played records . . . . BUT two things bother me:

DJ has a rare original she/he was looking forward to spinning out and previous DJ plays a boot?

But more on topic - There was a time when 'breaking sounds' (perhaps for that in current days we could include some underplayed or never played sounds) would be played by the same DJ more than once. I'm guilty of confusing nighters and soul nights now but do wonder if a record was good enough, but not known or at least unfamiliar to the active dancers (one on the floor - all on the floor), would it be worth playing again later? Once to hear and consider, and later to move to. I'm sure I'm far from alone in sometimes staying on the floor when in the mood and dancing (or doing my best) to a record I didn't know and kinda making it up as I went along, fearing for a sudden break, but my experience of oldies nights is that many don't bother with this tactic on the floor.

I wouldn't be so patronising as to think I was "educating" someone, more like a second chance to appreciate a good tune?

Definitely nothing wrong with playing an unknown tune twice in a set (let alone in a night) and I would encourage that practise. I've started sets with a 'newie', and finished sets with the same record - not a 'trend' set by me I hasten to add.

Ref your boot played before someone plays an original - and trying desperately not to go into the topic 'that one does not speak it's name' - If that happened, I would expect a little grumble from the D.J that had the original, that's all - If it were me, I'd just take it out my set. In fact, it has happened to me, and I did just that - I didn't grumble, and it didn't ruin my night, even though it was one of my 'safety' records!

All the best,

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Andy Carling

The music the DJs play provides the direction. Some promoters have not got a clue about anything !

This depends on the dj weather he plays a set playlist or weather he plays to the dancefloor. If he plays to the dancefloor then it's the crowd attending that determined the direction. If the dj plays a set playlist then it is th dj who provides the direction.

Andy  

Social source share

Definitely nothing wrong with playing an unknown tune twice in a set (let alone in a night) and I would encourage that practise. I've started sets with a 'newie', and finished sets with the same record - not a 'trend' set by me I hasten to add.

Ref your boot played before someone plays an original - and trying desperately not to go into the topic 'that one does not speak it's name' - If that happened, I would expect a little grumble from the D.J that had the original, that's all - If it were me, I'd just take it out my set. In fact, it has happened to me, and I did just that - I didn't grumble, and it didn't ruin my night, even though it was one of my 'safety' records!

All the best,

Rob Marriott played Cleveland Wilson (aka oc tolbert) "I,m shooting high" 3 times at Mansfield Swan in the same spot, by the 3rd time the floor was chocker, (and so it should be), the rest they say, is history

Kev

• Helpful 1
Social source share

...my first ever A/N...Keele....xmas '92....and danced to 'Too Many People' by Bobby Goldsboro 3 times as it wos spun 3 times!x Never erd it! Indeed I ain;t heard most of what I heard that night...yet all 'obvious' to the majority I suppose!x

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

Dis-claimer.....erm...anuver first was me taking 5 script dexis cos I wos told that would help me get thru the night by me mate....who spent the rest of the night laffing at me...?!!........i'd have danced to Bobby at 4pm Sunday afternoon too I think......and the mrs weren't laffing at 11pm Sunday night either!!!...!x I figured 3 wos suffice after that!  Heeeey....perhaps new promoters should give free dex.................or perhaps thats a utopian night....or Wigan...!hehe!x Right or wrong....I had a happy night and will never forget it...no regrets...!x

Let's spin it for old times sake...!x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk-4xXijocw

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Hey mr dj i can't dance to that music your playing but look at me toes a tappin, next time you play it i will try to swing me thing.

Todays newie = oldie next year ??

Happy posting.

Garry

Social source share

I personally like to go to both rare and underplayed nights and oldies nights it make no difference it's all Northern Soul to me.

---/

Agree with andy, well I did until I went to a do last year, and my problem was not the music, but the order it was played in... Because virtually all of the djs that night had some nice tracks, but they failed the simple principle of dj'ing, know your play tracks, know when to play them, keep it fluid but look with your eyes if you see the audience starting to go for it, let em loose, don't stick on a crap 'Conway Twitty' record no one cares about...

.So if I could give any advice as a punter, get somebody in who knows what they are doing and ill come back next time....

Malcolm

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Out of interest Dean, what kind of records were clearing the floor? Are we talking true underplayed, well known oldies outside of the top 200, Stafford revivals, 70s etc?

Reason I ask is that have a really good mate whose returned to the scene in the East Mids and she wants me to do an 'oldies' night out with her and I want to get a feel of what I might be letting myself in for :)

Hi Byrney

Trying not to identify the night too closely as my thread isn't aimed at one specific night, which was a good attempt at a NOT 100% oldies night. But out of interest I've just had a playlist sent in discussion by pm: Here's a couple:

Cynthia & Imaginations - Why Weren’t You There (I Needed You) (Blue Rock)

Jackey Beavers - Love That Never Grows Old (Revilot)

Silky Hargraves - Keep Loving Me (Like You Do) (Dearborn)

That kind of IMO top quality bang on northern soul didn't get much dancefloor action, although as my thread tries to get across they may well have been appreciated by the foot-silent punters around the room.

Feet hit the floor in much greater number to Jack Montgomery - My Dear Beloved

If you want to do an oldies night in the East Mids you've got some competition! There are a couple of happy exceptions to this that do manage to tread that line of popular sounds mixed with a few lesser played and interesting ones, but that's for another thread.

Best wishes

Social source share

Just to validate the discussion, I've had a really good pm conversation around this on the back of this thread, which included this comment about a soul night:

Started with planned set, played 4 or 5 and then ditched that based not so much on dance floor but on comments from punters coming up to the stage - requests for ********** etc. and quite a bit of "can you play something we know". So - I didn’t play most of what I intended to.

Thought it was an interesting comment to add to discussion that I'm sure we've all heard of at some time? I'm sure we could question how the night was advertised, but given the DJs this night would in my mind have not been an expected top 500 oldies night. 

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Hi Byrney

Trying not to identify the night too closely as my thread isn't aimed at one specific night, which was a good attempt at a NOT 100% oldies night. But out of interest I've just had a playlist sent in discussion by pm: Here's a couple:

Cynthia & Imaginations - Why Weren’t You There (I Needed You) (Blue Rock)

Jackey Beavers - Love That Never Grows Old (Revilot)

Silky Hargraves - Keep Loving Me (Like You Do) (Dearborn)

That kind of IMO top quality bang on northern soul didn't get much dancefloor action, although as my thread tries to get across they may well have been appreciated by the foot-silent punters around the room.

Feet hit the floor in much greater number to Jack Montgomery - My Dear Beloved

If you want to do an oldies night in the East Mids you've got some competition! There are a couple of happy exceptions to this that do manage to tread that line of popular sounds mixed with a few lesser played and interesting ones, but that's for another thread.

Best wishes

Cheers Dean. 3 cracking tunes but Jackey Beavers is one of the best, dirtiest pieces of class Detroit ever laid to vinyl. I've never not danced to it, or Steve Mancha ( same backing ) when played. It's just an utter class Northern Oldie and never will get my head around why those of a nostalgia scene persuasion cannot see the dance floor merit in records like this, opting for the 'play something we know' option.

Edit to clarify: I mean possibly go to an oldies night not promote one :)

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Guest Byrney

The direction should come from the promoter and then the DJ's he, she or they hire. If they wish to get away from the classics then they should stipulate that on the advertising and instruct the DJ's indication exactly the direction you want them to go without going so far as to tell them what to play, in other words use some imagination.

Of course it would be foolish to go down a completely underplayed lesser known set so some good quality oldies should be in the mix. Start of with a small venue and move up as the interest hopefully grows.

I don't see the point in anyone wishing to promote another oldies night, the scene is at saturation point now venue wise as it is so no point watering it down.

Ooooh! Hang on all. By 'do an oldies night' I meant GO TO ONE .....NOT PROMOTE ONE!!!!

Can see why my post could be read like that, blame the jet lag I'm just back today from Bali :)

Jesus... Imagine me an oldies night promoter LOL :) :)

Just to be clear... I meant I've been asked to go to an oldies doo (and it's looking like I very well may sack the idea) :)

Social source share

Probably one of the saddest things I've experienced over the years is a great venue lose support not because of the music policy, but because of the pure greed of the promoter(s) not closing the doors at a decent time.  Soulies don't want to see their night spoilt when the local bars turn out and all the piss heads turn up looking for afters.  Absolutely killed the night and the numbers attending dropped off the cliff face, leading to the night being swiftly axed.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

One reason I'd like to see memberships return.

Same here, but this is the result of too many events - each and every one (including the good ones) need 'whoever turns up' to make them financially viable (a sad, but true fact) We can't really blame the promoters for letting them in for that reason - All they can do, is 'go with it', but keep an eye on them.....unfortunately (as stated above) if some 'undesirables to the soul scene' do misbehave (or simply don't conduct themselves like the soulies do) the dynamics change, and it puts people off from going back.

All the best,

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Cheers Dean. 3 cracking tunes but Jackey Beavers is one of the best, dirtiest pieces of class Detroit ever laid to vinyl. I've never not danced to it, or Steve Mancha ( same backing ) when played. It's just an utter class Northern Oldie and never will get my head around why those of a nostalgia scene persuasion cannot see the dance floor merit in records like this, opting for the 'play something we know' option.

Edit to clarify: I mean possibly go to an oldies night not promote one :)

Amen to that Byrney - and by the way Jackey Beavers "Love That Never Grows Old" is my all time favourite record  :thumbup:

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL... For the very best soul night, you would have me as DJ, QUALITY SOUNDS, & LOADS OF SPEED NO ALCHOL EXCEPT FOR SNAKE BITES, BLACK & TANS & EAST END SNAKE BITE (BITTER & CIDER) YOU WOULD ARIVE IN A NICKED MOTOR, :D LET ME NO IF YOU WANT TO BOOK ME :wicked: DAVE K

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Probably one of the saddest things I've experienced over the years is a great venue lose support not because of the music policy, but because of the pure greed of the promoter(s) not closing the doors at a decent time.  Soulies don't want to see their night spoilt when the local bars turn out and all the piss heads turn up looking for afters.  Absolutely killed the night and the numbers attending dropped off the cliff face, leading to the night being swiftly axed.

The way to avoid this is to go for ticket only & pay on the door only by prior arrangement, there are dozens of online ticketing options these days....there have been times in the past when I could have broken even or even made a little on the Uptown Down South promotions, but I refused to allow walk ins from non Soulies...watch out for the next promotion, no muggles, end of story !!!

Best Russ

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

book a venue, decide on music policy, book djs, advertise exactly what your night will be musically,  if the punters dont like whats played, fook em send them packing with the entrance fee back in their pocket and tell them to spread the word and dont ever come back until they open their friggin ears :hatsoff2:

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL... For the very best soul night, you would have me as DJ, QUALITY SOUNDS, & LOADS OF SPEED NO ALCHOL EXCEPT FOR SNAKE BITES, BLACK & TANS & EAST END SNAKE BITE (BITTER & CIDER) YOU WOULD ARIVE IN A NICKED MOTOR, :D LET ME NO IF YOU WANT TO BOOK ME :wicked: DAVE K

That made me smile ,the good old days  :yes:  :ohmy:

Bazza    :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

book a venue, decide on music policy, book djs, advertise exactly what your night will be musically,  if the punters dont like whats played, fook em send them packing with the entrance fee back in their pocket and tell them to spread the word and dont ever come back until they open their friggin ears :hatsoff2:

Go to say that is more or less spot on regarding my own default setting on these things  :yes:

It sounds like, from reading this really interesting thread, one of the most important things to get right is the upfront promotion and advertising - making sure the music 'policy' and overall direction of any event is clearly stated in any promotional and advertising material/activity.

Equally important is that the DJs each need to know what is expected of them, and that there is an overall plan which confirms what each DJ will contribute to the event. Some kind of back-up plan for unforeseen circumstances would also be helpful so there is a contingency plan if something unexpected happens.

If that's all done, then any punters who turn up should know what to expect when they get there in terms of the kind of stuff that will get played - which sounds like a really big part of the picture from reading the previous posts.

It the above is right, much of the answer to the question lies in what happens well before the punters and DJs arrive, not what happens at the event itself - when hopefully musical 'policy' would only need to be tweaked for an audience to keep everyone happy and the people that want to dance dancing, rather than switched completely.

Great thread  :thumbsup:

Cheers

Richard

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The direction that the music goes in at an event is ultimately down to the DJ's surely? They're the ones driving the bus.

The promoter sets down the outline for the music policy and knows what to expect from the DJ's he appoints, but he's only the bus conductor "tickets please".

The punters at both ends of the spectrum and those in the middle (and I would suggest that the majority fall in the middle, despite their appearance) are the passengers and all they can do is choose where to get on and off the bus.

The fact that people aren't dancing to a particular record needn't be because they don't like or appreciate it, they might be in the middle of a chat, in the bog, at the bar, too knackered from their last dance or not confident enough to get up to a tune they may not be over familiar with.

Even If only a few of the better dancers get up to a lesser known track, this will get the attention of people watching the floor and is likely to encourage them to follow suit. Maybe the connoisseurs ought to get up on the floor to make sure they keep gettin' what they prefer? 

I reckon that, regardless of the presumed persuasions of the punters, keeping the tempo right, with highs and lows in the right sequence and mixing up the lesser known stuff with the better known stuff should keep enough atmosphere in the room, which to me personally is more important than having a full dance-floor.

Yep,and dead right I reckon  :yes:

Bazza   :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

P.Med ya  :D 

Social source share

The way to avoid this is to go for ticket only & pay on the door only by prior arrangement, there are dozens of online ticketing options these days....there have been times in the past when I could have broken even or even made a little on the Uptown Down South promotions, but I refused to allow walk ins from non Soulies...watch out for the next promotion, no muggles, end of story !!!

Best Russ

In practise it sounds fine mate, but have you ever tried selling tickets - It's a f*ckin nightmare. Some folk are organised and keep a diary etc, but most don't arrange things until a week before. Some of my mates are that useless, they ring me at 5.00pm 'that night'......."What's happening tonight Len?".......Oooooooo, it drives me mad I tell you! :glare:  :D Point being, I wouldn't advise selling tickets.

'Reserve in advance to save a quid', is what we do, that also gives us a good indication of how many are coming (as a percentage wise) For example, if 70 people have took the trouble to reserve, we know we can expect around 220 people (It works as a ratio, because we can go by past events).......In doing this, we can also use the "did you reserve your ticket?" angle, if we feel we don't want to let someone in.

All the best,

• Helpful 2
Social source share

In practise it sounds fine mate, but have you ever tried selling tickets - It's a f*ckin nightmare. Some folk are organised and keep a diary etc, but most don't arrange things until a week before. Some of my mates are that useless, they ring me at 5.00pm 'that night'......."What's happening tonight Len?".......Oooooooo, it drives me mad I tell you! :glare:  :D Point being, I wouldn't advise selling tickets.

'Reserve in advance to save a quid', is what we do, that also gives us a good indication of how many are coming (as a percentage wise) For example, if 70 people have took the trouble to reserve, we know we can expect around 220 people (It works as a ratio, because we can go by past events).......In doing this, we can also use the "did you reserve your ticket?" angle, if we feel we don't want to let someone in.

All the best,

Friday afternoon and all the bloody wekend - 'do you know whats on this weekend, who's on there, what time does it start, who's going'  Dont think people are too bothered to Book Ahead anymore. If you make it Ticket only other Events will use it as a pulling point " No Tickets Required "

Theoretically a good idea, practically ?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I remember one night my mate turned up a  Ford Corsair 2000e ,went like stink ,broke my heart to dump it following day  :ohmy:  :shhh:

Bazza   :hatsoff2:

Ps,I think that was for a trip to Cleethorpes Pier

Edited by Bazza
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Go to say that is more or less spot on regarding my own default setting on these things  :yes:

It sounds like, from reading this really interesting thread, one of the most important things to get right is the upfront promotion and advertising - making sure the music 'policy' and overall direction of any event is clearly stated in any promotional and advertising material/activity.

Equally important is that the DJs each need to know what is expected of them, and that there is an overall plan which confirms what each DJ will contribute to the event. Some kind of back-up plan for unforeseen circumstances would also be helpful so there is a contingency plan if something unexpected happens.

If that's all done, then any punters who turn up should know what to expect when they get there in terms of the kind of stuff that will get played - which sounds like a really big part of the picture from reading the previous posts.

It the above is right, much of the answer to the question lies in what happens well before the punters and DJs arrive, not what happens at the event itself - when hopefully musical 'policy' would only need to be tweaked for an audience to keep everyone happy and the people that want to dance dancing, rather than switched completely.

Cheers

Richard

In other words, if you know what you're doing carry on, if not (and you will see by the event if you look at it) Stop, and that's not a bad thing. This act will let other events flourish (even more), and  you can go and enjoy them with everyone else in the knowledge that your little bit of 'making room' has helped things.

We're kinda going off topic here (or I am) didn't mean to - I suppose the punters will 'give the night direction' - if you change things if they're not happy, but before you do, ask yourself - do you really want to be doing it another way to please folk ?......

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Cheers

Richard

The dj's should dovetail,musically and hopefully on a sociable level.Even doing their homework on who they are sharing the decks with,even if they are not on before or after.Find out their recent plays,respect "signature tunes".

The promoter should be setting the tone to some extent.If you've got an out and out oldies dj on,ask him to dig deep and play from his collection.

Let the dj's have their head. Suprises on the night do work.!! 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Sylvia Dean

Predicting this will become an oldies V rare/underplayed topic, and if so, so be it, but here goes:

At a new Northern Soul event on Friday with a few friends. The DJ line up and the venue were very interesting to to my outlook. If you guess the event it doesn't matter, this isn't a slight at the event, on the whole I thought it was good with a few teething problems. But discussing the night got me to thinking.

The event was one room, that room was 70% dancefloor but due to the room layout felt like 90% dancefloor. There's a mixed crowd attending, and here I'm going to make some crass presumptions.

There's a good number of bags/ Flaired skirts, beer towels, hold-alls, vests and badges, that I'd associate with a predominantly oldies / NS top 500 night. There's not a record bar but there's a few label fanatic chin strokers (no apology for that one 'cos that includes me), and I'm sure various shades of grey between those two stereo-types.

It's a big dance floor venue, it's going to take to a lot of nerve to hold for a DJ to play to a smattering of 2 or 3 dancers. When a Northern Soul 'anthem' comes on the floor fills. I'm enjoying the records that don't get such a dancefloor reaction. I applaud the DJ occasionally to try and show my appreciation but it's a big room.

Is this type of event destined to become an oldies / top 500 night due to pressure to play to dance-floor reaction?

Is it possible to run a rare/underplayed night (whatever that conjours in your imagination) in a venue with a half-empy (at best) dancefloor? I recall when we were running The Attic some guy said to me "It's good but look at floor, you can't be playing to an empty floor at 10pm", we thought we could, in the long run perhaps we were wrong.

Is there a silent (as in not noticeable as a dance-floor group) crowd enjoying the tunes that don't pull the 'oldies' crowd onto the floor? I'll give that to the "oldies" crowd, it's certainly one on the floor, all on the floor!

I realise NS was predominantly a dance scene more than a soul music scene, but then it was a nighter scene with soul nights (often mid-week) as an introduction to some and social catch up to the initiated. Soul Nights are so much more abundant these days, with their direction driven often by dancefloor reaction.

Social source share

Guest Sylvia Dean

What a strange and very garbled interpretation of the soul scene that post is ? It makes the presumption that it was the old order ... Of dancers.. Versus what i will call (for the premise of putting in some sort of context)..the new order .. Who play rare and underplayed.. So therefore have their own percieved superiority who are taking the current soul scene .. And by way of playing underplayed and rare music in a dancehall setting . To another and enlightened direction .. . And that it does not matter one jot.. If the dancefloor is not full. ,,,,, Because .. ( in their eyes ) .. Thats not important ????? . So why do they want to play in a big venue ???

I here so many times by some of these (djs) ......... That ......"we will all be dancing to this rare tune soon".. And .......Because it is rare and underplayed .. It has to have credibility on the soul scene ... .. Not because it is danceable !!! . Which it often isnt ..

. And because many of these .( djs) .. Are not in many instances many have ........NEVER..... Ever ....

been dancers. ...... But are .... record collectors .!!!!!!!

The above article ... Again ... . Lumps all soulies together . By way of clothing . Quoting that .( and making another huge generalisation ).... That The top 500 soul tune people .all wear . ..... Big trousers etc... !!! .. Umm . Huge generalisations... I love dancing .. Love hearing challenging ..and danceable music ..new ( rare and underplayed ) ... interdispersed with old . Music that flows.. A mix to keep the floor filled at all times . But to suit all tastes.. Some djs get it very very right .. But please do not patronise or presume .. Or at very worst think they have superior knowledge . And that soulies do not ave discerning tastes .

Social source share

Guest Sylvia Dean

And apologies for typo errors above . My statement above is written with honesty and i feel integrity and a genuine love of this wonderful music that so many many of us love and have this fantastic common bond of soul music

Social source share

One reason I'd like to see memberships return.

Once,not too long ago,in a pub in the East Midlands,a man had a dream.The dream was that all like minded "small alternative" venues would joint together.A kind of soul community.

Memberships would rise from the ashes for all these venues.Each club promoting each other,through flyers ,or the web.Emailing members with dates/times/guest dj's. The memberships could be used at each venue,with a discount on the door.

But because that man was i,it never came to fruition,because i'm a slacker. :hypocrite:

Maybe someone would like to ressurrect the idea.?

• Helpful 3
Social source share

.Find out their recent plays,respect "signature tunes".

That is so important - I wish all D.J's respected this practise. Some D.J's work hard trying to be a bit creative, whether it's a new discovery, or simply reactivating a tune that hasn't been heard in a while - Don't nick their efforts! (There's no need to)

All the best,

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Once,not too long ago,in a pub in the East Midlands,a man had a dream.The dream was that all like minded "small alternative" venues would joint together.A kind of soul community.

Memberships would rise from the ashes for all these venues.Each club promoting each other,through flyers ,or the web.Emailing members with dates/times/guest dj's. The memberships could be used at each venue,with a discount on the door.

But because that man was i,it never came to fruition,because i'm a slacker. :hypocrite:

Maybe someone would like to ressurrect the idea.?

Yeh, good luck whoever volunteers - A few years back I suggested closing down all soul nights within a 50 mile radius, and have one big juicy event instead - I got slated for it.

Silly me aye?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!