Find One Friday....hear It Saturday

Beatin Rhythm

Hi, Soul-diggers, here's a list of Northern & Modern on 45-only; if you'd like to buy anything from the list then please reply or phone 0161 834 7783 to order or reserve and you'll get it quicker than United'll get Fellaini and Baines.

1. These Will Keep Me Loving You - LINDA CARR (Capitol)...........Mint-.........fantastic funky Northern version of The Velvelettes' Motown nugget done Spanky Wilson-style, loud and sexy................£25

2. I'm Your Love Man - THE LOST SOULS (Glasco)............VG++........tough, get-out-of-my-way Northern dancer, a real energy-burner in same vein as Little Richard's Okeh stompers...................£75

3. Where Are You? - JOHNNY DIXON (Boss)..................Mint-..............absolutely magnificent Northern Soul from the Big City, not a Beat Ballad but carries one of those huge echo-ey, kettle drummy backings capable of producing goose pimples on the toughest of "I don't dance, me"-types...................has the instro version the flip as well!.................£90

4. One Woman's Man - INEZ FOXX (Volt)...................Mint-................lovely recommendation is this, if you've never tried the Volt singles of Inez, thinking "Naaah.....not Northern, not rare!" then stop at this one and inspect it closely. If you like Denise LaSalle's Westbound output from the same period (1973) you'll want this played out in public quick-sticks.....................£15

5. Hey! / Can't Stop Loving You Baby - BARBARA MERCER (Golden World).............Mint-..............very decent double-sider, Detroit Northern each-way and carries the colours of Mr. Ed Wingate's Golden World label..........................£15

6. Your Song - THE DELLS (20th Century Fox).............VG++................one of the all-time greats of Modern Soul, if you don't have this gem and you happen to be a DJ, this is the equal of Charlie's Golden Ticket, a real pleasure trip.......................£65

7. Just Ain't Good Enough - JOHNNIE TAYLOR (Beverly Glen)...........VG++.............if ever a song title lied about itself this surely does, beautiful in every way, beginning to become rarer, and such a grand intro and backing its hard not to be impressed every time you hear it, i know I'm not the only one who thinks that, this treat is yours too.................£25

8. Bad For Each Other - LITTLE CARL CARLTON (Back Beat)..................Mint-...........will spring into prominence as a Northern Soul favourite one day, still studying for it's City & Guilds but will be out of the apprenticeship soon, still looking for a good DJ to give it the opportunity it deserves..................£30

9. Without A Warning - THE AMAZERS (Thomas)...........VG++.....................£20

10. You Don't Have To Be Lying Babe - GENE CHANDLER (Curtom).................Mint-...............well we're NOT lying when we say this is a Modern Room winner that'll appeal right across the board.................£30

11. He Knows My Key (Is Always In The Mailbox) - VIVIAN COPELAND (D'Oro demo)............Mint-............£35

12. Barefootin' Time In Chinatown - LESTER YOUNG (Barry)....................VG++..........big-time Torch and Wheel oldie that needs to be heard again, guaranteed floor-packer if spun regular..................£15

13. Let Me Love You - CLAUSEL (Up Right demo)..............Mint-...............very high-class Modern Soul two-stepper and extremely rare which defies the trends of the year of it's release (1982) and uses NO gimmicks or sound effects whatsoever, making it unique in those disco-drenched years...........£125

14. Travellin' In Heavy Traffic - DON COVAY (Philadelphia Int.)       VG++.................this 1976 Philly Soul groover is much too good to leave on the sidelines if playing quality Modern Soul is your forte, hear this and give it the green light!...........SOLD.........................£10

15. He's Got A Love (That Will Last Forever) - SHIRLEY CAESAR (HOB)...............Mint-.............gorgeous Mavis Staples-type modern soul two-stepper that does have a gospel-intended lyric but is every inch a Modern Room spin in the making......................£6

16. No Limit - BREAKWATER (Arista)...................Mint-......................£10

17. Gotta Find A New Love / I Can Feel It - THE INSPIRATIONS (Benn-X)...............Mint-............two brilliant Northern dancers on this re-issue that is now coming to the end of its run of availability, ignore it not...............£10

18. Back By Popular Demand - THE ORIGINALS & SUPREMES (Beatin Rhythm).....................Mint-...............great Modern Room floor-filler and feel-good anthem..................£10

19. I Don't Want To See Myself Without You - TERRY CALLIER (Acid Jazz)................Mint-.....................£8

20. I Gotta Keep My Bluff In - FREDDIE HUGHES (Wand)......................tremendous Crossover Soul floater/two-stepper, a mellow rare groove item with cheerful disposition, class by any other name..............£20

Many thanks for looking through the list, have a great weekend,

Cheers, Carl (Beatin Rhythm).

Edited by Beatin
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 0
  • Views 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Get involved with Soul Source