Tony Fox - Soul 7 Issued

Glynthornhill

Incorrect facts on the Jazzman website - really pisses me off this..  quote from the newsletter

A modern soul masterpiece, this highly sought after deep soulful disco spin by Tony Fox on his super rare was thought for years only to exist as a track LP ‘The Beginning’. In the last 10 years a couple of copies on 7” have turned up, going for big money privately to the worlds biggest collectors before sniffing ebay (£1000+).

Nope  ...Wrong I had three 45 s direct from Blaster Records with the album and a press release photo of Tony   at time of release.

All the 45' s  sold on to Japan over the years  . 

Sure the Tony Fox stuff was featured in an old copy of BlackBeat fanzine  - Steve G maybe remembers which issue - mine are in  storage ... 

Keep up record label owners and check your facts - I have tweeted Jazzman -let's see if we get a response.....

Many on the modern soul scene are aware of the 45  s existence   so why not ask around first .... :yes:  :yes:  :yes:  :yes:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Incorrect facts on the Jazzman website - really pisses me off this..  quote from the newsletter

A modern soul masterpiece, this highly sought after deep soulful disco spin by Tony Fox on his super rare was thought for years only to exist as a track LP ‘The Beginning’. In the last 10 years a couple of copies on 7” have turned up, going for big money privately to the worlds biggest collectors before sniffing ebay (£1000+).

Nope  ...Wrong I had three 45 s direct from Blaster Records with the album and a press release photo of Tony   at time of release.

Sure the Tony Fox stuff was featured in an old copy of BlackBeat fanzine  - Steve G maybe remembers which issue - mine are in  storage ... 

Keep up record label owners and check your facts - I have tweeted Jazzman -let's see if we get a response.....

Many on the modern soul scene are aware of the 45  s existence   so why not ask around first .... :yes:  :yes:  :yes:  :yes:

Yep, someone on SS was lucky enough to get one on here recently Glyn - there was a bit of a thread about the record then.

It's a super record.

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Definitely remember you having the 7 back in the 80's Glyn. It knocked us out at the time....and yes you mentioned it in Blackbeat. I even remember talking to you about it at a Rotherham All nighter (not Clifton Hall)....

Unfortunately history is being re-written all the time.....There is an amazing lot of BS on the web about records.

ATB Steve

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Is there not a case that this is a record which possibly fell through the cracks until relatively recently. The three Japanese gentlemen who own these aren't jetting around the world playing them to packed clubs full of writhing young trendies, and my local library doesn't have a full set of Blackbeat magazines... There's no copies on Popsike, so perhaps none have passed through eBay? It would be safe to surmise that it's pretty rare anyway.

Or maybe Jazzman could just have asked Butch!

Edited by cover-up
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Ever since Glyn reviewed it in the early 80's it's been a "wanted" record by soul collectors and has appeared on plenty of "wants lists". I seem to recall Soul Sam or possibly Robin S. owned a copy at one point (later), but no doubt it got traded on. 

Pretty sure Robin had it.

Who buys all this re issued stuff?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Ever since Glyn reviewed it in the early 80's it's been a "wanted" record by soul collectors and has appeared on plenty of "wants lists". I seem to recall Soul Sam or possibly Robin S. owned a copy at one point (later), but no doubt it got traded on. 

I traded mine for a Hamilton Movement over 10 years ago.

Social source share

The internet is a fantastic reference tool - unfortunately is also a minefield of dross and bullshit mixed in -

Experts are suddenly everywhere  - remember not everyone can know everything , and sometimes fiction merges into a fact.... We are just trying to document the correct facts.

Quite a few 45's of this were around at time of issue not just my copies - would think around two or three of the prominent modern Dj ' s of the time were in possession of the 45 also... 

Have now sent a direct message to Jazzman Records as Fryer, Gerald , or Orsii have yet failed to respond. Will report their response if, and when I have one....

As Steve says perfectly  all we want is for people to get it right.

Will  check for the feature in BlackBeat when I have more time....

Social source share

Jazzman employee Orsii has responded via Twitter :

@CRATESOFSOUL Hi Glyn, we do check our facts carefully & if you read the notes https://www.jazzmanrecords.co.uk/tony-fox-love-let-love-and-be-loved-i-wanna-get-next-to-you  you'll see that we do mention that

Not sure about that if you check their blurb .. very misleading  ' was thought for years only '

As usual in this world some people that are hailed as ' experts ' by various media outlets are found to be incorrect in their ' facts' but are unable to admit they were wrong in some way.... :(  :yes:  :rofl:

Social source share

CRATESOFSOUL Im sorry this has gotten you so upset. We ALWAYS check out facts rigorously & NEVER mislead customers on purpose.

Ok they just ' don't get it ' it' s our way of life - we live and breathe music , but at least Jazzman employee Orsii had the decency to respond... 
Edited by glynthornhill
Social source share

Jeez, emails, tweets, post on soul source, so angry....

Nobody was trying to suggest the record did not exist (but many did not know it did) and it goes without saying that indeed some people would have it for the very reason that it does exist.  You are one of those people who had copies and thats cool (as you said they went to japan so were not getting plays here) . I think its fair to say  it was not generally known to the wider scene. If i had to consult every single collector in the world before putting out a press release it might take some time, tell me your story ill add it, but be nice. Seriously I have no idea why you would be angry, its a press release. I cant be in every place and read every magazine ever written or consult everybody. That aside, it sound bloody amazing, i think we did a good job.

Edited by fryer
Social source share

Nobody was trying to suggest the record did not exist (but many did not know it did) and it goes without saying that indeed some people would have it for the very reason that it does exist.  You are one of those people who had copies and thats cool (as you said they went to japan so were not getting plays here) . I think its fair to say  it was not generally known to the wider scene. If i had to consult every single collector in the world before putting out a press release it might take some time, tell me your story ill add it, but be nice. Seriously I have no idea why you would be angry, its a press release. I cant be in every place and read every magazine ever written or consult everybody. That aside, it sound bloody amazing, i think we did a good job.

Maybe we've just become grumpy old men Euen. :D:  

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Euan, I think you're right to say many didn't know it existed as a 45. I remember quite a lot of interest and raised eyebrows at my copy at the time and a lot of people said they thought it was LP only. It is a slightly shorter version on 45 than the Lp but i think it's got a bit more punch in the 45 mix, or at least that's what i remember.

Social source share

There've been a few records from the late 70's and early 80's that, at the time, we thought were LP only.

Bobby King "If You Don't Want My Love" LTD "Love Magic" Whispers "Gonna Love You More" and Mighty Fire "Sweet Fire" all came to us as a bit of a shock when they turned up on 7" 45.

Tony Fox 45 was known to only a few, the Bobby King came much later. LTD seems now to have dried up, Whispers, only 3-4 known copies and only ONE known copy of Mighty Fire thus far!

These tracks were all played in the days when being on 45 mattered much less in the eyes of the scene and when LP's were scoured for the killer tracks, without ever expecting their to be a limited 7" press anywhere or even needing to be.

Bearing in mind that this was before the Modern Scene existed, we are talking The Northern Soul Scene here, it shows how ahead of the game some people (such as Glyn) really were in terms of turning up great tunes that only since (and largely in only the past few years) have gone on to be seen as classics, worthy of a second issue!

Sean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 1 month later...

There've been a few records from the late 70's and early 80's that, at the time, we thought were LP only.

Bobby King "If You Don't Want My Love" LTD "Love Magic" Whispers "Gonna Love You More" and Mighty Fire "Sweet Fire" all came to us as a bit of a shock when they turned up on 7" 45.

Tony Fox 45 was known to only a few, the Bobby King came much later. LTD seems now to have dried up, Whispers, only 3-4 known copies and only ONE known copy of Mighty Fire thus far!

These tracks were all played in the days when being on 45 mattered much less in the eyes of the scene and when LP's were scoured for the killer tracks, without ever expecting their to be a limited 7" press anywhere or even needing to be.

Bearing in mind that this was before the Modern Scene existed, we are talking The Northern Soul Scene here, it shows how ahead of the game some people (such as Glyn) really were in terms of turning up great tunes that only since (and largely in only the past few years) have gone on to be seen as classics, worthy of a second issue!

Sean

Sean,who has the Mighty Fire 45?

Social source share

Think its carefully stored in the East wing of Sean's house.....

Oh so it wasn't the copy i was holding yesterday then(not mine).Also saw Bobby Glover-"Bright Skies..." on a 45.

He had been offered a few Mighty Fires over the years also.

Social source share

Oh so it wasn't the copy i was holding yesterday then(not mine).Also saw Bobby Glover-"Bright Skies..." on a 45.

He had been offered a few Mighty Fires over the years also.

So theres at least another copy contrary to Sean's post there being only one (post #21)

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!