Articles: The Debbie Taylor Story

Boxy

RE: ‘I Don’t Wanna Leave You’ was the first Debbie Taylor single to gain international release but when Arista’s UK office issued the single via EMI in early 1976 they disappointed soul fans by using a short edit which was also sonically inferior. The uptempo flip side ‘Just Don't Pay’ was also edited, losing over a minute, and lacked the vibrancy of the original Tom Moulton mix. The single was also released by Arista licensees in Japan and Brazil.

I've got the 45 on a Brazilian copy (& a UK copy). I posted a scan of the label up on the old 'raresoulforum' site many moons ago but that has now disappeared. Can't seem to find a copy of that jpeg anymore either (good job I still have the single itself somewhere).

I seem to recall discussing the edit issued on the Brazilian version with John Benson over on 'raresoulforum' and believe it is the longer version that escaped there.

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Hello John,

Yes I remember seeing a scan of a Brazilian copy, that's why I mentioned the other overseas issues in the biography.

A lot of people don't realise that the UK single (issued in 1976 not 1975 as stated in Dave's discography) also has a shorter edit of the flip side, 'Just Don't Pay'. It's actually a slightly different mix and further confusion was caused by the fact that the US label copy gave the incorrect duration anyway, the track is at least 1:00 longer than stated. In 1989 the shorter UK version was also used for the Old Gold 12" which isn't listed in Dave's discography.

The version of 'Just Don't Pay' that I issued on Shotgun Records in 2011 is different to both previous versions.

Dave's discography also describes the UK Arista single as a demo with no commercial release but of course it was issued and as I write this I've just noticed a few other discography errors so I'll ask Dave to use my discography which is below the original biography on my website: www.selrec.com/debbietaylorstory

Paul

P.S.  I hope to see you at the gig

Edited by Paul
Social source share

Hello John,

Yes I remember seeing a scan of a Brazilian copy,

Paul

P.S.  I hope to see you at the gig

Paul, retired now so HAVE to take lots of holidays ..... so only usually have a few free weekends .... but the missus is plagued by the thought that this winter will be another 'bad un' (especially after this great summer we have enjoyed). She's convinced we'll get snow in November, so she's stopped me booking much so far that month. Away for a short break in the days running up to that weekend, but 9th November is free & should be just right for a visit back up to 'God's country'.

Social source share

Hi John

God's Country. Castleford is not that far north. We don't get snow around here in November??

The warm welcome you get from us Yorkshire folk stops any chance of that!!

Hope you can get to the concert

Dave

Dave, Cas is too far north for me.

I grew up in the much warmer climate we enjoyed in Doncaster !!!

Kids at my senior school traveled down from places like Upton & South Elmsall and told me tales of the 8ft deep snow drifts they got up there every November.  :D

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Found my copy of "I Don't Wanna Leave You / Just Don't Pay" on Brazilian Arista.

"I Don't Wanna Leave You" (the A Side) lasts 5 min 30 secs and is the 'Tom Moulton' remix. 

"Just Don't Pay" lasts 3 mins 10 secs (or so it says on the label) and is the 'Tom Moulton' remix.

This 7" plays at 33rpm like most Brazilian singles (though it doesn't say so on the label) and it was put out in Brazil by EMI - Odeon Fonog.

The Odeon label had started life in Germany but after WW2 the label name was used by EMI on records pressed up in Germany, Brazil, West Africa, Spain, Argentina, India, France & elsewhere.

Debbie's Brazilian release (from EMI-Odeon) came out on Arista though just like it did in the US / UK.

post-22122-0-59671100-1378370715_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Hi Ernie, and any other doubters

I was there in Dumfries. I don't want to get involved with what went on in 2011.

I want to focus on November 9th, 2013. We have put a lot of work into making this concert a success. Yes, I can guarantee that Debbie will be appearing on stage at the Wilton. So go ahead and get your tickets: www.wheatsheaf.com/allnighter.

The answer to your question: Debbie will be making her debut in the UK at the Wilton. Debbie did not perform at SSW Dumfries, nor at Newcastle in 2011

Dave

Social source share

Debbie did not perform at SSW Dumfries, nor at Newcastle in 2011

Dave

Dave - I had my ticket lined up for the Newcastle show....: :(

Hi Michael

The Debbie Taylor event at Hoochie Coochie last weekend was unfortunately cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances. The organisers would like to pass on there sincerest apologies and make you aware a refund for the face value of the tickets has been processed. Please note this may take anywhere between 1-5days to clear into your account.

Apologies for any inconvenience,

The Skiddle Team

Social source share

Hi Ernie, and any other doubters

I was there in Dumfries. I don't want to get involved with what went on in 2011.

I want to focus on November 9th, 2013. We have put a lot of work into making this concert a success. Yes, I can guarantee that Debbie will be appearing on stage at the Wilton. So go ahead and get your tickets: www.wheatsheaf.com/allnighter.

The answer to your question: Debbie will be making her debut in the UK at the Wilton. Debbie did not perform at SSW Dumfries, nor at Newcastle in 2011

Dave

Yes but people paid money to travel  to see her and the excuses were lame to say the least or if you were there then enlighten us all as to what happened  - I know their are no absolute guarantees but the old saying "Once bitten"  or Fool me! I would love to see her singing some of her Northern classics!

Social source share

Hello Ernie

Without discussing anything private or confidential between Maydie (Debbie Taylor) and the promoters and without expressing any personal views I'd like to point out that Maydie turned up but was unable to resolve some issues she had with the promoters and it is regrettable for all concerned that she decided not to perform. It wasn't a breach of contract.

It was a big weekend event with several other artists and many DJs and I'm glad to hear it was a success but obviously some people had a particular interest in seeing Debbie Taylor so it's sad that they were disappointed.

Maydie was 
disappointed too and I've no doubt the promoters also regret that things couldn't be resolved. These things happen sometimes, I'm not here to judge or blame anyone.

Maydie is a friend and I can assure you she was very upset, she was a long way from home and didn't feel responsible for the way things turned out. She had been looking forward to the show.

Almost two years have passed and right now she's looking forward to the Castleford event which is being staged specifically for her and I can't imagine any issues which could effect it.

Paul

Social source share

Great to see Debbie is coming back to the U.K.  I jus' hope a certain meddler can keep his nose out of this gig and not attempt to steal the glory once again.  I will fill you in on the details once this gig is out of the way.  I know Dave Box has worked very hard to make this happen and it will be an incredible night at Debbie's debut gig!  It all went a lil' bit Lorraine Chandler!  

Social source share

Hi Guys

Those of you that are planning to come to Debbie's concert at the Wilton,

tickets are selling fast. I know it's still just under two months away but compared to this time last year for the Darrow Fletcher concert we have already sold twice as many.

We have sold tickets to fans from all over the UK. Remember this is the only concert Debbie will be performing at in the UK.

The regular Wilton crowd and our locals are always the last to purchase tickets, so be warned, don't leave it until the last minute. I'm sure we will have a capacity crowd so for fans expecting to turn up at the door, there is no guaranteed admission, you could be disappointed.

We don't want to face having to turn anyone away, especially our regulars.

Get your tickets early to avoid missing this fantastic event.

Tickets www.wheatsheaf.com/allnighter by paypal or Credit Card

Dave

Social source share

Which of her GWP tracks also escaped on these two LP's ?? ............

Roburt here is full track listing for ST2041

Hesitations Yes I'm Ready

Debbie Taylor Don't Nobody Mess With My Baby

Betty Barney You Want My Lovin'

Little Rosie Little Family Tree

Pazent Brothers A Nitty Gritty

Side 2

Hesitations Good To Me (As I Am To You)

Debbie Taylor Stop

The Persions I Can't Make It Anymore

Alice Clark You Hit Me

Chili Peppers Chicken Scratch

Hope this fills the gaps.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Only just over three weeks to this fantastic night.

We have had requests for tickets from all over the UK. The Wilton crowd and our locals always seem to leave it to the last minute, so be warned, don't leave it too late, we don't want to have to turn anybody away especially our regulars.

This night is going to be something very very special. Debbie is getting so excited, she can't wait to get over to the UK to do her debut performance.

We need a capacity crowd to welcome her, so get your tickets to hear this fabulous lady of soul - DEBBIE TAYLOR.

Debbie will be performing her Northern Soul classics from the 60's along with Crossover/Modern songs and some spine tingling Deep Soul songs that we have all been waiting to hear her perform live for such a long time.

Debbie (Maydie Myles) will also be performing the track "Kiss Of Life" from her latest (2011) cd album "The Ones I Love"

Remember this is the only concert Debbie is performing in the UK.

Don't forget the great soul spins throughout the night from our DJ's: Arthur Fenn, Mike Charlton, Boxy & Mouse.

Tickets hot line: https://www.wheatsheaf.com/allnighter

Tickets will also be available at the following events: Soul in Selby, Just Soul, Scottish soulful Weekender (Dumfries).

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Chuddly Dudley has reserved my ticket I believe so looking forward to it, and will now start drumming up some support. She might be Moodie Maydie but just think of her voice, its impossible not to imagine the sheer orgasmic ecstasy of her Arista material floating through the room and cuddling and caressing you like a secret lover. I am aurally aroused already.

Her CD is actually pretty good and wouldn't mind hearing her doing her version of The Look of Love, she can sing that to me backstage later if she likes....

And I hope those London soul fans that normally get altitude sickness on the rise of the M1 out of London are taking their travel sickness pills and getting ready.

No ifs and buts, this concert will be second to none, and you need an doctor, aye you do, if you don't leave home tomorrow, and start walking now if need be to get here. No deposit needed but no return to sanity if you miss this.

Edited by jocko
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Chuddly Dudley has reserved my ticket I believe so looking forward to it, and will now start drumming up some support. She might be Moodie Maydie but just think of her voice, its impossible not to imagine the sheer orgasmic ecstasy of her Arista material floating through the room and cuddling and caressing you like a secret lover. I am aurally aroused already.

Her CD is actually pretty good and wouldn't mind hearing her doing her version of The Look of Love, she can sing that to me backstage later if she likes....

And I hope those London soul fans that normally get altitude sickness on the rise of the M1 out of London are taking their travel sickness pills and getting ready.

No ifs and buts, this concert will be second to none, and you need an doctor, aye you do, if you don't leave home tomorrow, and start walking now if need be to get here. No deposit needed but no return to sanity if you miss this.

HI Jock

Yes your ticket has been requested by Mr Cuddly, but he hasn't paid for it yet.

Hope you partner Mr Law is going to make the trip south.

Thanks for the support and your post - love it.

See you soon.

Dave

Social source share

Bettye Swann at Cleethorpes,   the great Phillip Mitchell in Bilbao (what a wonderful show -fantastic venue, band and performance!) and now Debbie Taylor !

So in 2013 I will have heard performed live - 'Make Me Yours', 'There's Another In My Life' and 'I Don't Wanna Leave You' - three of my all-time favourites!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

LATEST UPDATE - Debbie Taylor Concert at Wilton’s Soulful Sessions - 9th November.

I spoke to Debbie last night, and she is so excited about coming to the UK to make her debut performance at the Wilton’s Soulful Sessions night. We are initially planning that Debbie will perform two 30 minute sets with a 30 minute break, commencing around 11.30pm. The night will run from 9.00pm - 3.00am. Debbie will perform her recordings from all eras - 60’s Northern / 70’s and Crossover Soul including some spine tingling Deep Soul songs; in fact something for every taste. Debbie’s performances will be supported by eight London based musicians and vocalists, assembled by bass player Ernie McKone, owner of Boogie Back Records. DJ’s on the night are Arthur Fenn, Mike Charlton, Boxy & Mouse, so be assured there will be some great records played throughout the night. A number of record dealers have requested tables at the event so there will be plenty of soulful vinyl available on the night. This night is going to be something very, very special, a fantastic night not to be missed. We have spent a lot of time and money setting up this event, so all we need now is your support to make this night a success and something you, not forgetting Debbie Taylor, will remember for a very long time. Remember this may not happen again so get your tickets secured; details below.

Ticket sales are going well, but we still have a few left to sell. Everybody we speak to say they are attending but many haven’t bought tickets yet.

Ticket Hot Line: https://www.wheatsheaf.com/allnighter

The last date for PayPal orders for postal delivery is 31st October; these will be mailed out on 1st November which should allow time for tickets to reach you before the event, even if the planned one day postal strike goes ahead.

Any PayPal orders received after 31st October will be acknowledged by email, stating your ticket number, and must be collected on the night.

At this stage, with three weeks to go, we have tickets available at £18.00 on the door, but if we have a mad rush for tickets approaching the concert date, which was the case last year for the Darrow Fletcher event, we can’t guarantee that.

Tickets at £15.00 will be available at the following events: Just Soul; Red Bar Wakefield; Scottish Soulful Weekender (Dumfries). Please help us get the word out.

Tickets can also be ordered by phone on the following lines: Boxy - 01924 894555; Mouse - 07717 338009; Mike Charlton - 07946 434621.

Please note no tickets will be reserved for collection on the night unless paid for in advance. This is only fair to those who have paid well in advance and helped us with cash flow whilst setting up this event.

There will be no admission after 11.00pm.

For anyone arriving early or staying over, the Wheatsheaf Pub, adjacent to the venue, has a top class restaurant with carvery and bar meals available during the day: Saturday from 12.00 — 2.00 pm and 5.00 pm — 8.30 pm in the evening, Sunday lunch 12.00 — 8.00 pm

https://www.wheatsheaf.com  See website for menus.

See you soon!!

Boxy

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

DEBBIE TAYLOR CONCERT ALMOST SOLD OUT

Hi Guys

We have just about sold out on tickets for the Debbie Taylor concert at the Wilton.

We intend to close the Paypal sales tomorrow morning. so it would be better if you contact us direct on 01924 894555 before ordering on line.

There may be some cancellations, so please call us direct.

IT IS VERY UNLIKELY THAT THERE WILL BE TICKETS AVAILABLE AT THE DOOR

See you soon

Dave

Social source share

Debbie Taylor concert at the Wilton's Soulful Sessions is now Sold out.

Therefore there will be no OTD admission to people who haven't already made reservations.

There will be no admission after 11.00pm to anybody. Get there early. Seating will be very limited.

Thanks to everybody for your support on this event. Such a great welcome in store for Debbie when she walks on that stage!!!!

The website for PayPal sales will be closed asap, so don't try to use it as we would only have to refund your payments.

See you all soon.

Dave

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Hi Guys

I would like to thank you all again for your support for this concert, the response has been fantastic. The event is sold out, every possible ticket has been sold. The venue has a maximum satety capacity and that has been reached.

There is no 'on the door' admission available. So be warned -

DON'T TRAVEL TO THE EVENT WITHOUT A TICKET OR A RESERVATION, BECAUSE YOU WILL NOT GET IN.

We need to give Debbie a fantastic welcome when she finally steps up on that stage for the very first time in the UK.

Seating will be limited, so if you want to be seated come early.

See you all tomorrow.

Dave

Social source share

Will we get a chance to have 45's, photos, CD's signed by Debbie after her show has finished ??

Hi John

Yes, Debbie will be only too pleased to sign things after the show.

Also Howard will have copies of SUN available at the event, which features Debbie's Bio. Plenty of room on the front cover alongside Debbie's photo for signatures

Social source share

The Maydie Myles jazz number that she performed last night as an encore ...............

What a great show ....... 'light & shade' from start to finish .... 60's & 70's (+ a 2011 cut); dancers & deep gems; a jazzy soul number ..... this show had it all.

Sell out venue, great backing musicians (& singers) who had really prepared well. A 'star' who still has her full vocal abilities. 

A show I'm really glad that I made the effort to attend (and even though I'd travelled around 160 miles to be there, there were others who had come further).

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You!

I would like to thank everybody who attended on Saturday 9th November. People queuing at the door at 8:15 when we planned to open at 9:00. People on the floor by 9:30. The start of something very special was about to happen. Who were all the people piling through the door? — many of the most knowledgeable, long standing fans on the UK soul scene from all four corners of the country.

What was the occasion? — Debbie Taylor’s debut performance in the UK.

What can I say about the night that hasn’t already been said? - absolutely fantastic from start to finish.

When Debbie joined the band on stage for rehearsals and the band hit the intro to “Don’t Nobody Mess With My Baby” we all held our breath; for any live act promoter this is a crucial moment. We all melted - hey, has someone put the 45 on the decks? no, this was live, incredible! Debbie sailed through all 12 songs and left us all speechless. I looked at Mike and the others in disbelief; Mike had tears in his eyes and said ‘I think we’ve cracked it’.
Debbie did make a few fine adjustments to the arrangements and changed a key or two, which were quickly adopted by the band. The whole rehearsal was sheer perfection. Can it get any better on the night? — Well from what you all say on this thread, yes it did, and more.

Thank you time:

To Debbie Taylor:
for being such a fabulous lady to deal with during the build up to the show and for the sensational performance she delivered on the night, not forgetting the time she spent with you all signing everything you put in front of her, until the early hours after the show.

To the band: they are equally as important to a show as the artist. I would like to thank my friend Ernie McKone for assembling a group of musicians second to none. A special thank you to our keyboards man Mike Talbot for agreeing to be part of our special night. Background vocalists — Wow!! Sam & Janessa were just fantastic, their support for Debbie was just great but their little solo parts, encouraged by Debbie, were just sublime.

To the sound guys: A fabulous artist, and band, but without a professional sound team and PA equipment, which is the third essential part of a show, we would have been in trouble. I would like to thank John & Chris (JSS Audio) for their constant attention to the sound quality throughout the show, which made a great show fantastic.

To the DJs: What can I say, I was one of them! Along with Arthur Fenn, Mike Charlton & Mouse - a great mix of tunes, something for everybody’s taste, just great soul music. Thank you for your support.

To the team: Thanks to Mike and Jenny for their support from the start, when I first suggested the project at Soul Essence, back in April this year. To Val, the boss, for putting up with my tantrums and skilfully dealing with all financial aspects and ticketing. To Mouse for ticket sales, promotion and helping prepare the venue.

To the venue staff: Thanks for support and willingness to provide every request I threw at you; Website use, catering, venue facilities, etc, etc.

Special thanks to Rob Lawrence and Hazel (Caister Weekenders) for security for Debbie and general help on the door.

To you the fans: A show like this would be pointless without you. Debbie went home after an experience she will never forget. She told you on the night, from the stage, how she felt, and continued until we put her safely on the plane.

What’s next at the Wilton’s Soulful Sessions: I haven’t a clue right now. I think it would be impossible to top this, maybe we will have Debbie back again — What do you think? Watch this space.

Thank you

Dave (Boxy)

• Helpful 3
Social source share

There are a couple of videos of Debbie's show on my youtube page with more to follow at the weekend.

Another great one Chalky! & it's Mrs Stead Debbie was asking to lip sync ha ha!

I was stood right next to Mrs Stead & wish she'd have listened to Debbie, so that I could have heard Debbie more than I could hear Mrs Stead ha ha !

Edited by Alison H
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Another great one Chalky! & it's Mrs Stead Debbie was asking to lip sync ha ha!

I was stood right next to Mrs Stead & wish she'd have listened to Debbie, so that I could have heard Debbie more than I could hear Mrs Stead ha ha !

Shame Debbie's request to stop flash photos was ignored too, she was in quite some discomfort.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Shame Debbie's request to stop flash photos was ignored too, she was in quite some discomfort.

I took a fair few photos, but I don't think it was the flash on my tiddley little camera that was causing the discomfort.  Most of my shots are not straight in her eyes (I lack somewhat in height :D ) & she wasn't looking in my direction when she asked for the big flashes to stop. 

I've got a funny video of Mrs Stead doing the duet with Debbie, will post it on her FB wall (Mrs Stead's) as I'm sure she'll like it   :thumbsup:

Edited by Alison H
Social source share

• 9 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!