News: Northern Soul - An Illustrated History - Out Now Competition

Mike

The picture in the Twisted Wheel section of the book (@ 1 min 34 secs in the above video) LOOKS LIKE four of the Hull lads who used to go to the Wheel (Mike Bird - big bro to Martyn aka Hullsoul on here + Stu Mumby and others).  I know Mike submitted a piece on the Wheel for inclusion in the book.

Looks like his piece made it into the finished publication, so no doubt my Donny mate (Tom Sleight) & I get a mention or two.

Ain't got the actual book yet, can someone confirm that Mike Bird's Wheel memories are in there & who the picture is captioned up as showing (I know I'm not on it but its too small for me to make out the other 2 guys).

Social source share

The picture in the Twisted Wheel section of the book (@ 1 min 34 secs in the above video) LOOKS LIKE four of the Hull lads who used to go to the Wheel (Mike Bird - big bro to Martyn aka Hullsoul on here + Stu Mumby and others).  I know Mike submitted a piece on the Wheel for inclusion in the book.

Looks like his piece made it into the finished publication, so no doubt my Donny mate (Tom Sleight) & I get a mention or two.

Ain't got the actual book yet, can someone confirm that Mike Bird's Wheel memories are in there & who the picture is captioned up as showing (I know I'm not on it but its too small for me to make out the other 2 guys).

Mike Bird's piece is on page 53, three of the photos are credited to him but it doesn't say who's in them.  Mike's also acknowledged at the front of the book.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Mike Bird's piece is on page 53, three of the photos are credited to him but it doesn't say who's in them.  Mike's also acknowledged at the front of the book.

Thanx for that. Guess I'll have to order a copy of the book right away then.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Guest frenchie

I've come home from Devon and missed the bloody postman :( ! Oh well tomorrow will do :)

One nostalgic trip I am looking forward too.  Looks great.

Social source share

I got one last weekend at Peebles, and am really impressed, as I said on FB its very stylish, very well written and superbly edited in the way it weaves peoples comments in and out depending on timeframe. Some great pictures, both old and new, as you would expect. Its quite different in that it focusess on peoples experiences, rather than records/charts etc, and it reminds me very much of Gerri Hershey's great Nowhere to Run in context.

Off to buy one as a pressie!

Social source share

On 28th sept  King Georges Hall  Blackburn, Wigan 40th ....  The book will be on sale, plus  a new Trailer and new never before seen scenes from Northern Soul  the film will be shown........   I am Told?       If you take your copy, Can you get it signed?          B  

Some good photos of Ethan in the book too!

Social source share

You're welcome, and as Alex Ferguson's autobiography has just jumped above it in Amazon's Top New Releases, get everybody you know to order one as well.

Who is Alex Ferguson? Got my copy today. Slipped it out of the Amazon box like it was a rare record. Felt like a real book with a hardback cover. Looked at all the photos then the credits at the back. If the best thing about Northern Soul is the music, the next best thing must be reading about the music... Well, whatever, I'm looking forward to reading it and watching the film. What label was Alex Ferguson on? Was his backing group the Hairdryers.
Social source share

There was a thread on here some years ago regarding whether  any film or video footage existed of the Northern scene prior to the This Is England documentary from' 77.

Someone posted and said that apparently there is  some footage of the original Wheel.

Anyone have any information on that ? 

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

There was a thread on here some years ago regarding whether  any film or video footage existed of the Northern scene prior to the This Is England documentary from' 77.

Someone posted and said that apparently there is  some footage of the original Wheel.

Once saw a documentary about British Blues that showed B & W Clips of Exterior,  obviously taken from 60s footage    .... So may very well exist as part of blues scene history  rather than Northern /Rare soul Scene, which was what the wheel was more famous for at the time....   IMHO.

Social source share

Has the film been released yet or has it gone straight to DVD?

(Everyone probably knows but I've been out of touch a little while I'm afraid....)

Cheers,

Eddie

DVD  ?  this one is going to be  .... , as far as I know ?  ... world wide cinema release .. they were doing sub titles for some markets , including USA lol  :) the accents are quite strong  .. and authentic too ..  so looking good Eddie !

pete

Social source share

Once saw a documentary about British Blues that showed B & W Clips of Exterior,  obviously taken from 60s footage    .... So may very well exist as part of blues scene history  rather than Northern /Rare soul Scene, which was what the wheel was more famous for at the time....   IMHO.

It was only the original Wheel (Brazenose St) that was really a blues club.

The Whitworth Street venue (home of the place from 1966 onwards) was just about always an R&B / mod / soul club.

Can well believe that the Brazenose St venue exterior was shot in blues related footage. Didn't Granada TV (Manc) shoot some blues related show at a railway station outside Manchester (near Chorlton-cum-Hardy) in 1964. So they obviously had their 'finger on the pulse' of local music tastes back then.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

D the Drug took some handheld Super 8 footage on the This England night....I believe it was Tom Hassets from Letchworth reels and machine.Wrote to him but no reply.I've got super 8 footage of the pre quad seventies northern scooter scene in colour from 75 76

would be nice to see this mate,

is there any way you can get it on here .

Social source share

The Whitworth Street venue (home of the place from 1966 onwards) was just about always an R&B / mod / soul club.

Can well believe that the Brazenose St venue exterior was shot in blues related footage. Didn't Granada TV (Manc) shoot some blues related show at a railway station outside Manchester (near Chorlton-cum-Hardy) in 1964. So they obviously had their 'finger on the pulse' of local music tastes back then.

Yes, that was on the telly not too long ago...can't remember what channel though..Sky arts maybe

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Sorry Sunny   ....Rob  ..is correct as far as i am aware  ...  i was referring to footage from The Original Wheel...  Brasenose St   ...  as i thought that was the one you were looking for info about ......      Regards . Brent    ......      a bit of topic  but has anyone read the book yet ?    i havent got a copy .....     B       

Social source share

a bit of topic  but has anyone read the book yet ?    i havent got a copy .....     B       

Started reading it last night.  Read the first 90 pages covering the Wheel, Torch, Mecca, Catacombs and Va Va's.  Also gives an insight into the early Mods, the social background, drug culture etc.  Lots of first hand accounts from the soul fans and DJs.  Next chapter Wigan, which was my era, but interesting to read about the early venues.  Well worth the asking price, IMO. 

Social source share

D the Drug took some handheld Super 8 footage on the This England night....I believe it was Tom Hassets from Letchworth reels and machine.Wrote to him but no reply.I've got super 8 footage of the pre quad seventies northern scooter scene in colour from 75 76

we never did get to the bottom of that legend, did we bro?, to quote the "x-files"...the truth is out there...... must get this book, not a ditchwater remark yet, proof that real soul people don't just judge by the cover.

Social source share

Yep, got mine today too, but I`ve just started reading John O`Farrell`s "An Utterly Exasperated History of Modern Britain: or Sixty Years of Making the Same Stupid Mistakes as Always" which I need to get through first.  :(

Try his other book "An Utterly Impartial History of Britain"

its a great laugh.

kegsy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

we never did get to the bottom of that legend, did we bro?, to quote the "x-files"...the truth is out there...... must get this book, not a ditchwater remark yet, proof that real soul people don't just judge by the cover.

I spoke to Mick about this yesterday and he says it's 100% true that the guy has the film, he just no interest in either NS or the film and is happy to keep it in his attic or wherever...

Social source share

I spoke to Mick about this yesterday and he says it's 100% true that the guy has the film, he just no interest in either NS or the film and is happy to keep it in his attic or wherever...

if it's his inclination.....personally i find it utterly selfish...it's denying people the opportunity to get a REAL glimpse of the past, filmed independantly and with no interference from a commercial perspective..that guy needs to search his soul and his conscience...he's whistling dixie whilst sitting on something unique...is he waiting for someone gullible enough to come along and start a bidding war then??...how does he, or anyone know for a fact, that after 36 years, it hasn't deteriorated?, rendering it bloody useless?.....he's says he's got it.....then SHOW US THE MONEY!!,...to quote a phrase.

Social source share

I took the trouble to track his address down and sent him a letter and a sae.I collect oddball super 8 footage and was very interested in buying it and having it transferred.In legal terms it is his footage as it was his stock...at the end of the day it is his.If it stays in the loft it will probably be junked...therefore lost.It's just a shame that's all.Maybe if I provide D the drug with a loft ladder and turn up on his doorstep his attitude might change.I had an antiques dealer contact me re a house clearance and it was a sixties Canadian female dj who had died...got some audio reel to reels from that plus some Super 8 ...Not viewed that yet but the audio threw up some great unreleased tracks from Little Diane.Super 8 was prevalent in the seventies and thank god Mick Pacey took his super 8 on those seventies rallies or there would be no footage.How much more is sitting in lofts.....

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Just as a finish note to this competition 

Here's the list of the 3 members who each have won a copy

day 1 winner
jkw

day 2 winner
Pete s

day 3 winner
dunmiedin 

If not already can you please confirm via pm where you want your copy sent to 

Thanks to all who entered, better luck next time