Vietnam Soul

Guest Dave Turner

Some great soul music out there relating to the Vietnam war. Thought a dedicated thread may be in order .

Kicking off with one we've just had in another thread 

Private Charles Bowens - Christmas In Vietnam - Rojac

Hi Dave

Hope you're ok mate.

Wonderful thread - top man.

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

This one took me completely my surprise while listening to my i pod this morning with references to a 'peace train' and,1,465 days (tour of duty or length of the conflict) and date (1973 end of the conflict)

I know bring it on home has other associations in soul music but maybe they were cashing in on Freda Paynes 'Bring the boys home'

Social source share

Guest frenchie

For me the ultimate anti-Vietnam 45. Great all-nighter style stomper that still remains rare and unknown. Maybe the fact it was banned adds to its obscurity. Got one ;-)

Social source share

Some great soul music out there relating to the Vietnam war. Thought a dedicated thread may be in order .

Kicking off with one we've just had in another thread 

Private Charles Bowens - Christmas In Vietnam - Rojac

As this record has just come up on the "Wants" section , it deserves mentioning here too.

RAY WILLIAMS , GONNA GET EVEN ON SPACE RECORDS.

Lyrics.

I was in Vietnam, couldn't get home , said that you would be true to me while i was gone, you cheat on me , you just can't win !!!

cheers Frank

Social source share

Charles Smith & Jeff Cooper - Glad To Be Home - Seventy Seven

This track was included on the 'Ashes to Ashes' Soulscape CD featuring many of Charles' tracks.

Other good outings from Charles can be found on Charly's 'Sound Stage 7 Story' 2ferCD & the cheap 'Southern Soul - Warm & Tender Love' CD.

Also just noticed (DOOH !!) that I have "Glad To Be Home" which along with "Ashes To Ashes" (& 6 other solo Charles Smith cuts) was included on the Charly V.A. LP 'Sound Stage 7  -- Testiyin' back in 1987.

Don't recall ever reading much at all about 'Quad City Sound studios' in Muscle Shoals. Which other soul tracks were cut there ? 

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

This track was included on the 'Ashes to Ashes' Soulscape CD featuring many of Charles' tracks.

Other good outings from Charles can be found on Charly's 'Sound Stage 7 Story' 2ferCD & the cheap 'Southern Soul - Warm & Tender Love' CD.

Don't recall ever reading much at all about 'Quad City Sound studios' in Muscle Shoals. Which other soul tracks were cut there ? 

Not sure what other soul stuff was recorded there mate. It was Dewey Vandiver's concern I believe.

Came out on both QCS (Quad City Studios obviously) and Blue Dawn prior to Seventy 7

As for the Soulscape CD it's my one and only claim to fame, if you get a magnifying glass you'll see my name on it   :D

Social source share

Zerben R. Hicks and the Dynamics - Lights Out - RCA Also in a Vietnam pic sleeve. Flip to " You make me feel good". Thanks Craig for adding the Tony Mason clip.

I just figured out how to do ithttps://youtu.be/SMsKHQBcKdI

This track is one of the most emotive song that I have ever heard.  I was surprised that it was not nearer the top of the thread.Top name too. The drop at 0.40s gets me every time.

A great thread showing the knowledge of music possessed by people on this forum. Educating each other instead of the usual nit picking crap.

Edited by nickp
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

This track is one of the most emotive song that I have ever heard.  I was surprised that it was not nearer the top of the thread.Top name too.

A great thread showing the knowledge of music possessed by people on this forum. Educating each other instead of the usual nit picking crap.

i think everybody thought like me "I won't put it up coz somebody else will"  

and nobody did for a while  :lol:

Social source share

Listened to this for years before the last verse dawned on me what it was about...........

Walter Jackson-Where Have All The Flowers Gone OKeh

https://youtu.be/f_9EmyV7UIA

This was originally about the first world war I believe.

Wasn't it supposed to have been the last record played at the Catacombs?

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!