Buddy Conner - When You're Alone (breakthrough)

MarkWhiteley

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 29
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest in town Mikey

Is this the same tune as 'Worlds Funkiest Band'?? I think it had George Jefferson on lead.

Somebody please tell me my alzheimers isnt kicking in again.

Social source share

Is this the same tune as 'Worlds Funkiest Band'?? I think it had George Jefferson on lead.

Somebody please tell me my alzheimers isnt kicking in again.

link

It is the same but as said in my cd review Buddy Connor is far superior, forgot how good this is, would like one too so anyone who has one let me know. Billy you already have the biggest wants list in the world so you can let me have first choice of this! :)

Cheers

Jock

PS Mick do you do lists at all and if so how do I get on mailing?

Social source share

Guest micksmith

It is the same but as said in my cd review Buddy Connor is far superior, forgot how good this is, would like one too so anyone who has one let me know. Billy you already have the biggest wants list in the world so you can let me have first choice of this! :)

Cheers

Jock

PS Mick do you do lists at all and if so how do I get on mailing?

link

yes e-mail me. last list has just finished-mick

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Yes it is, save yourself some dosh buy " The worlds funkiest band " virtually the same record...................

link

I'm sure it is in one of my boxes.

Think i picked it up for next to nothing at the Leicester allnighters in the 80s.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

...and found one! Ovenchip's selling at £25 - shall I buy??? :)

Same tune methinks. Have a listen :D ...

link

Go for it mate.

If you like that one, you might like

On the real side - Larry Saunders (Turbo).

Not seen one of those for sale in a while but they used to be as easy to pick up on issue, as the WFB disc was. I think the demos were a bit harder tho. :D

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

They were popular at Yate and my local Gloucestershire do's at about the same time, which is why I mentioned it.

Happy days.

Social source share

I swear that the World's Funkiest Band on California Gold uses the very same backing track as Buddy Conner!! Do yourself a favour Billy - £25 is a good price - I'd likely go for it if I didn't already have one!

Larry Saunders - still a nice early '70s record. Never seen a demo, but the big challenge is finding it on UK London!! Was released here in 1974, and I've only ever seen Ian Clark's red demo.

Gene

Social source share

What about Larry Houston Mr Boot?

'Let's spend some time together' on HFMP

£10-£15 should secure the services of a very wonderful piece of music IMVHO.

I was brought up on this stuff! I love it!

Jamie

Social source share

I swear that the World's Funkiest Band on California Gold uses the very same backing track as Buddy Conner!!  Do yourself a favour Billy - £25 is a good price - I'd likely go for it if I didn't already have one!

Larry Saunders - still a nice early '70s record.  Never seen a demo, but the big challenge is finding it on UK London!!  Was released here in 1974, and I've only ever seen Ian Clark's red demo.

Gene

link

I have it on London issue.... cost about a tenner eight to ten years ago....

WOOF!

Social source share

Guest micksmith

I swear that the World's Funkiest Band on California Gold uses the very same backing track as Buddy Conner!!  Do yourself a favour Billy - £25 is a good price - I'd likely go for it if I didn't already have one!

Larry Saunders - still a nice early '70s record.  Never seen a demo, but the big challenge is finding it on UK London!!  Was released here in 1974, and I've only ever seen Ian Clark's red demo.

Gene

link

i've got a demo-must admit quite rare tho'

Social source share

The World's Funkiest Band and Buddy Conner are sonically identical, but the label on the (orange) Buddy Conner is beautiful; Visually one of the best soul labels ever, surely, and maybe worth the price difference alone. At around £75 it's a real bargain. Since its initial spins twenty years ago it was always a three-figure record.

It's funny, but before actually hearing the record I had always assumed with a name like "Buddy Conner" this had to be a white artist on a pop record masquerading as soul. Boy, was I wrong. Finding another 45 of his on Early Bird I was knocked out by his singing, with Buddy sounding not unlike Benny Latimore on a good day. I'm sure "When You're Alone" will have its day again.

Social source share

The World's Funkiest Band and Buddy Conner are sonically identical, but the label on the (orange) Buddy Conner is beautiful; Visually one of the best soul labels ever, surely, and maybe worth the price difference alone. At around £75 it's a real bargain. Since its initial spins twenty years ago it was always a three-figure record.

link

No no Mr. X... £75 is (ro seems to be) far from the going rate. You see Mr. Smith is too cheap, hence the record being £125 short of the apparent going rate... :lol:

£75 may be about right for the later red issue, although judging from my web travells, these seem to go for around £50/60.

Totally aggre with you ragarding the two being identical, tho', I can't spot the difference :thumbsup:

Just one more thing while I'm centre-pitch within a long winded post; I also really want a copy of Johnny Darrow - 'Love Is A Nightmare' (SUE).

Cheeeeeeers :thumbsup:

Edited by billytheboot
Social source share

No no Mr. X... £75 is (ro seems to be) far from the going rate. You see Mr. Smith is too cheap, hence the record being £125 short of the apparent going rate... :thumbsup:

£75 may be about right for the later red issue, although judging from my web travells, these seem to go for around £50/60.

Here's a scan of my copy, which is for sale if anyone's still interested?

I think £200 is too steep - think that's what you're suggesting Billy (though if you want to pay that it's yours!)?

But equally £75 is too cheap (if only all proper dealers were like you Mick).

Make me an offer somewhere in between!

cheers

Dan

post-118-1098261919_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dan
Social source share

Picked up 2 copies of Worlds Funkiest Band late last year for a few quid each, one of which I gave to Mischief. Absolutely love that tune  :thumbsup:

link

:thumbsup:

Top tune thanks Richard ..

and I have spun it out a couple of times, infact think i'll give it a spin at Hemsby, in a couple of weeks time.... :lol:

Social source share

I have only ever seen the copy of Buddy Connor depicted here, never the other one claimed to be more common, but I have seen a lot of copies of the one shown here. Like mentioned earlier, The Worlds Funkiest Band and Buddy Connor are not versions of the same tune, it is the same tune, with Buddy Connor being perhaps a slightly louder pressing I think. John Manship has Buddy Connor in M condition at £150, and probably has more than one copy since he has had it listed for a very long time. Used to see it in literally every dealers box and on all the lists at around £80 - £100 a few years ago but not seen as much today. The other Breakthrough release is also claimed to be a 70's version? Is it? I never heard any other version anyway. I really rate it, a very good record. I want a copy, so if someone has a mint, like new condition, copy I will pay around £100 or we can perhaps work out some trade, I have loads of stuff for sale/trade at the moment. I also have at least one copy somewhere of the Worlds Funkiest Band (M cond.) for sale at £15 if anyone is interested in the cheaper release of the tune.

Social source share

I've got the Buddy Connor 45, infact played on the radio in Milan last weekend with Mark Bicknell. What nobodies mentioned yet is that its double sided with the same song on both sides. So we lose out on hearing those wonderful vocals of mister C on possibly another song. Perhaps there are copies of "WYA" around that have another song on the flip. Whats the flip on the WFB version?

derek

Social source share

• 6 years later...

I swear that the World's Funkiest Band on California Gold uses the very same backing track as Buddy Conner!! Do yourself a favour Billy - £25 is a good price - I'd likely go for it if I didn't already have one!

Larry Saunders - still a nice early '70s record. Never seen a demo, but the big challenge is finding it on UK London!! Was released here in 1974, and I've only ever seen Ian Clark's red demo.

Gene

I had an issue of LS on UK which I bought eons ago....... sold it with most of my tunes to "Ovenchips" 'bout 8years ago, rare item! Luckily I managed to get a UK, red demo. a couple of years later :rolleyes:

Social source share

I had an issue of LS on UK which I bought eons ago....... sold it with most of my tunes to "Ovenchips" 'bout 8years ago, rare item! Luckily I managed to get a UK, red demo. a couple of years later :rolleyes:

I've got a nice UK copy if Larry Saunders 'On The Real Side' (London) here if anybody needs one, give me a shout thumbsup.gif...ta....Mark

Social source share