News: 16 Years of Fun - Soul Source 1997-2013

Mike

Last month (Aug 2013) hit the 16 years since Soul Source first opened up mark read more...

Click here to view this soul source article in full

Well done Mike.

What a great site and community you have created. I'd be really interested to know how it all started, your back ground etc. I presume it's your full time day job etc.

Nice one.

Peter

:thumbsup:

Edited by Peter99
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Wow sixteen years!  :thumbsup:

I have been a member of this fine site for half that time, but in that time, I have met lots of good people, I have bought and sold plenty of records, I have read, sometimes in amazement some of the articles in the fantastic 'Look At Your Box' and 'All About The Soul' sections. All in all very enjoyable and worthwhile, which is the whole point of the site.

Big thanks and hats off to Mike :hatsoff2:  and everyone involved in Soul Source. Keep up the good work! 

Edited by Simsy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Major achievement especially with the rise of general social media sites.....only started coming on for events as you have the market cornered on that but the other benefits in news, trades, and most of all information about the music itself via the site staff and members is remarkable really.

Don't know what I'd do without it now

Social source share

Yes well done to all involved, and to everyone who 'has the nerve' to contribute! :D

.......Why is it so blo*dy addictive?!

One of the many great things about the site for me, is that it keeps us all in touch. Some folk I haven't seen since my '100 Club years' (before kidz) but I often 'chew the cud' with them on here, also I get to communicate with people that I wouldn't otherwise get chance to get to know - Great stuff.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

Social source share

Well done Mike and moderators.  I only joined a few years back. But I often tell people about the site when referring to events and articles. 

So well done all! 

and dealing with all unwanted/ undesirable comments, can't be easy - and developing and improving the site throughout the past 16 years!!

ATB

Dave

Social source share

I have to admit when Mike first started this site I was a reluctant joiner. I'd had so much fun out of the old Soul Talk list that I thought we were going to lose rather than gain when Mike set this up. How wrong could I have been ?!

I changed my home page to Soul-Source within a week of joining and that's how it's remained ever since, much to my wife's anger

Here's to another 16 years mate, though I doubt we'll all be around to witness it, but if we are I hope we're still argueing about whether it's a legal second issue or just a bootleg, or that a rave review by the promoter of a venue isn't worth the megabytes it's written on.

(also congrats to all the folk, past & present, who've stood as Mods, the single most thankless task ever)

• Helpful 3
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Wow 16 years! Congratulations Mike on the best Music related site on the internet.

I have been a member for around 13 of those years with a couple of different user names. I also had a spell on the moderation team so I appreciate the work involved in the Back room. It definitely isn't a job for the faint hearted! Phew some of you lot would have an argument in a cardboard box!

It sounds mad but I really don't think my life would have been the same without Soul Source. As well as meeting my husband on here (well I had seen him about but not spoken to him), I've also met loads of people from all over the UK and abroad who I never would have spoken to otherwise (being a bit of a shy old bird), people who now consider to be lifelong friends. So much mischief has been had after wine o'clock (sorry Mike); late night drunken threads with Mandy, Dave (rip) and Kirsty S amongst others, the short lived chat rooms, Ian Levinegate, the SSCDT and later the SSLAAS. Poor Karen the midnight moderator had her work cut out!

Nice one Michael, hopefully see you around soon! :-)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the site was for dullards with no life when my partner at the time used to tell me about soul source, then one day I dipped my toe in and started a life of trawling the rare soul scene in all its glory.. It helped me get my events really up and running and bringing together a bunch of folk who have become mates for life...Had a short stint at the moderation side, not an easy task as you have to eyes in the back of your head, hats off to all the team.....Its soul or nothing... x

Social source share

Likewise from Me Mike.

As someone who doesn't get about much now its invaluable for me for keeping in touch with the scene and old friends. And of course, for buying and selling and hearing records which would have escaped me otherwise.

I'll be expecting to see your name in the New Years Honours List sometime soon Mike. Well done.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I've been on for 9 years, although I noticed recently that my join date had changed. It was 25th December, now it says 26th. :(

I was proud that I was on Soul Source on Christmas Day. :lol:

Didn't the site run by Mike before this used to be called The Drunken Monkey?

Social source share

Bravo to you and all the mods who have made this site the go-to place for rare soul, thank you! At times you need the patience of a saint and the diplomatic skills of.... Er... a diplomat. You all do a fantastic job and we really appreciate it. In the midst of spats and bans and troubles please never forget that. Da iawn!!

Rich

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!