Letting Drunk's In Venue's After The Pub's Shut ?

cress

Totally agree. This just shouldn't happen and repeat occurences could well see support dwindling - as happened at another venue recently.  Down to the promoter to call a halt to it. That said, when I dj'd I would sometimes clear drinking dancers off the floor using the mike - once had to get off the decks and do it face to face which was a pity but hey-ho.

:hatsoff2: - Kev

:boxing:

:shades:

Social source share

Brought this up in a recent discussion "What Gives A Soul Night Direction - Punters Or Promoters?" (Post 74) and had a few responses including bringing in members only or ticket only nights.  Personally I agree with closing the doors at a reasonable time (10-30 / 11 ish), as long as this is advertised on the flyers.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Well I would guess that when they let them in they were not 'obviously a lot worse for wear' and it was not until they got in that they started  'drinking, spilling drinks on the dance floor , taking the piss out of every one'.    It's one thing running a Soul night and another fighting with a load of pissed hard cases in  a place like Easington - some of whom will be regulars in the venue when Soul nights are not being run.  :boxing:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Think Mark at Nuneaton had a few problems along these lines earlier on,  but he has been strong and sorted it out proper :-)  !!!

few nuneatons back I thought the sign on the desk plainly and clearly saying PRIVATE PARTY quite effective and though by no means a total solution I would bet it did keep a few inebriated Me want more beer,beer giv uz beer", types from ascending the stairs up into the nighter.

Social source share

...and hey ho ,the camera doesn't lie when your posting pics of how rammed it was :)

not always true .. depends on what time of the night the pictures were taken , if early then it can look a little sparse , where as later when in full flow the photographer may well have put their cammera away because its too crowded ... on the other hand a close cropped shot can lie too as it does not show the full picture so to speak ,so it can look full , but was not ... better to just tell the truth as a promoter , why lie?   it serves no one and the people who were there and reading a comment  know the truth :)

pete

• Helpful 2
Social source share

... better to just tell the truth as a promoter , why lie?   it serves no one and the people who were there and reading a comment  know the truth :) pete

If the words about how full it was and how good it was come from the promoter I take no notice of it. Many reviews are a complete waist of time and often dishonest, I read them and think I must have been at a different venue.

But if promoters keep letting drunks in and upsetting the real punters it will simply drive them away and maybe it will be good for the scene as a whole as there are far too many venues as it is.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I help promote a couple of venues where sammy has just posted and it is a problem to sort out , the typical drunk who just wants topping up is a pain in the arse and our policy is we don't allow admission after 11pm , normally it works but I have seen young lads just walk thro and don't give a monkeys who's there , as for promoters who don't care then that's up to the soulies to sort out , they would care if u stopped going for a few times , they would have to sort it then eh , problems we don't need but sometimes get , solution ?? We can only do our best , keep putting signs up and hopefully the piss eds get the point , cheers toc

Social source share

Would like people and promoters view's on this , was at Easington sat nt , great place great people ! BUT WHY OH WHY when all the other pub's shut, the down-stair's bar close's and people who are obviously a lot worse for wear do you allow them in ,i sorted a bus out for 16 people and this was the main topic on the way home.... They were drinking, spilling drinks on the dance floor ,  taking the piss out of every one , no one told them to behave or to leave ??? so why let them in ??  of all the flyer's on the wall's , why not one saying NO ENTRY AFTER 10.30 !!!!    :g:

Only been a few times Cressy, and that was the over riding thought each time, piss heads in later on, spoils the night mate

Kev

Social source share

Memberships are the solution - if only as an excuse to turn away those that aren't required - needless to say if one of ours turns up without a membership they'd get in - a membership book is also handy for building up databases for email promotion etc.

As far as I'm concerned the widespread late licencing of nighters was the worst thing to happen in my time (the separation of 60s and modern being the second worst).

Wreckheads yes  Pissheads NO.

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Remember a couple of the clubs that I really liked in the 90's both turned into "grab a granny" nights after the local non-soul folk twigged on to the late bar and "disco".

Both were close to the centre of the town in each case and got to the point where we stopped going, no longer a soul night when dance floor full of d*ck heads and having to go toe to toe in front of the missus (when I always get a b*ll*cking whatever the circumstances). 

Not seen it much since then to be honest as the places I go are away from town centres and that's the key I think. Plus there's enough of the lads in attendance to put a stop to any bother if it did kick off. 

Edited by back street blue
Social source share

Sometimes the landlord insists that you let " their friends/family/regulars" in for a late drink, as part of the agreement to book the room, and with the number of good rooms available shrinking all the time, maybe we just have to put up with it?

Besides, I'm not sure I want a squeaky clean, sanitized, perfectly safe environment for the scene I attend? I dont drink alcohol so I'm not saying this from a point of need, but It was never thus, so why are we trying to change the rules part way through the game? Back when most Niters were soft drinks only, enough gallons of spirits were smuggled in to fill the Pacific Ocean

Please don't "genteel up" a scene that has always been rough and ready. Virtually all clubs I've been to have their share of men who will resolve genuine difficulties if there's no paid security (which I agree with Chalky, should be on every door)

I do like the idea of a large sign saying late admission/non members £ (followed by some inflated price), as that lets the door staff off any arguements.

Social source share

Well I would guess that when they let them in they were not 'obviously a lot worse for wear' and it was not until they got in that they started  'drinking, spilling drinks on the dance floor , taking the piss out of every one'.    It's one thing running a Soul night and another fighting with a load of pissed hard cases in  a place like Easington - some of whom will be regulars in the venue when Soul nights are not being run.  :boxing:

Mike , first and foremost i don't want to get drawn into any long argument's with anyone ,simply asked for people's thought's , as Mr.Cane say's he to has noticed it  as well ?? #1 when they let them in ect , within 10-15 min's one was running the full length the dance floor swinging his leg as he went this created a no go area , while his mates clapped and cheered ? also it was a full house no seat's tables ect from 8.15 onward's a table of 4 lady's got up to dance !! and hey lost their seat's and promptly left ....if they got like that in 15 min's the rest of us were wasting some dosh ???

#2 what they were doing before they came in ,so what ??/

#3  why fight with a load of pissed hard case's ? in every village, town, city they have pissed hard case's , do all the other venue's ect accept that it's all part of the night ??? :wicked:

Social source share

As a punter....hated them around on the few occasions they were allowed in to gigs during my tour in the 90's. As a promoter....I never ever took anyones money for the money. It was a Soul night...for Soulies. I don;t know any genuine Soulies who go to a doo to be a drunken idiot.....and never had one dare attempt to come thru my doors! I'd have ooofed em out personally....end of!x

LUV
SOOTY
X

• Helpful 1
Social source share

You,re dead right Steve, the answers yes on both counts, I am no bother to anyone though, and generally know most of the folk at the venues I go to :thumbsup:

Kev

Yeah right ..... Your always putting me in a head lock when you've had a few lol
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

me and a mate run a couple of motown and northern soul nights not your usual big nights free entry but get reasonably  busy. i for one do not allow piss heads in and if some one does get worse for wear and gets on the dance floor with a bottle or glass and lets face it there is a few on the soul scean I will and have ask um to leave the dance floor 9 times out of 10 they do no problem. if you ask politely they always do. well they have done for us anyway. but i do agree with putting a no entry  time limit on the door would help   

Social source share

If the words about how full it was and how good it was come from the promoter I take no notice of it. Many reviews are a complete waist of time and often dishonest, I read them and think I must have been at a different venue.

But if promoters keep letting drunks in and upsetting the real punters it will simply drive them away and maybe it will be good for the scene as a whole as there are far too many venues as it is.

Ive started to come to the conclusion that some promoters and DJs have a draught response when posting feedback which they slightly alter to big up each others events due to the fact that they DJ at each others event for free and are trying to tap up DJ spots

I have  have been at events and been told by friends where there has been serious trouble which has not been reported 

I also cannot understand why the promoters and some DJs turn a blind eye to drunks fooling around and spilling drinks on the dance floor, but with venues advertising late bars what else can be expected

• Helpful 2
Social source share

So you arrange to meet your mates in the pub on your way to the local flea-pit Soul night & the landlord turns around & say's sorry but I don't want no Billy whizz taking talc throwing Soulies in my pub.
Guessing you wouldn't be too happy would you but most of you have decided you don't want his so called 'pisshead' customers in your Soul night so you can't blame him really...

Social source share

Mike , first and foremost i don't want to get drawn into any long argument's with anyone ,simply asked for people's thought's , as Mr.Cane say's he to has noticed it  as well ?? #1 when they let them in ect , within 10-15 min's one was running the full length the dance floor swinging his leg as he went this created a no go area , while his mates clapped and cheered ? also it was a full house no seat's tables ect from 8.15 onward's a table of 4 lady's got up to dance !! and hey lost their seat's and promptly left ....if they got like that in 15 min's the rest of us were wasting some dosh ???

#2 what they were doing before they came in ,so what ??/

#3  why fight with a load of pissed hard case's ? in every village, town, city they have pissed hard case's , do all the other venue's ect accept that it's all part of the night ??? :wicked:

Cress I was not defending or justifying their actions just trying to answer the questions you posed.  The behavior you describe was a lot worse than I ever seen there but just reinforces my view that no one would want to intervene to stop it as it would of resulted in a serious punch-up!  The venue is a Miners Welfare club (a very famous one at that) and as such many of those causing the trouble would be regulars - even members - and probably feel  they have more right to be there than bus loads from Middlesbrough or wherever.  

And with due respect to others who have posted , Easington is not Banbury! - It is officially recognised as being the most economically deprived town in the United Kingdom and has the largest percentage of long term illness and unemployment - it's a pretty rough place with not a lot to do on Saturday night after the pubs shut. As such I think it would be very difficult to 'police' the door and any subsequent trouble.  Did any of you party attempt to remove any of the troublemakers?  I know I would of got my coat and beat a retreat down the A19! 

BTW are you the Cress I met at the O'jays gig in Primm Valley in 2010?

Mike

Edited by Mike Lofthouse
Social source share

So you arrange to meet your mates in the pub on your way to the local flea-pit Soul night & the landlord turns around & say's sorry but I don't want no Billy whizz taking talc throwing Soulies in my pub.

Guessing you wouldn't be too happy would you but most of you have decided you don't want his so called 'pisshead' customers in your Soul night so you can't blame him really...

If your point is that the land lord is entitled to allow his regular customers to attend an event staged on his premises, I would agree that of course he and his regulars should be encouraged to do so.

The problem is that some visitors can totally ruin an event, not 'cos they aren't into soul music or 'cos they are drinking and having a good time, the problem under discussion is that "drunks" causing bother, taking the piss out of dancers and the music, spoil it for the people who have come for a soul night ......and that's why the poster of the thread is asking why they are allowed in.

Never been refused entry to a pub for being a soul boy and never likely to really am I, pretty unlikely scenario really innit?

Take it you've got a downer on "local" events and venues too? Certainly comes over that way.

Ah well, each to his own.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

We used to get regulary thrown out of The Vinery in Hinckley before the Leisure Centre nighter for exactly that reason Martin. :lol:

Social source share

The remarks I made about an extra tenner or whatever in the tin and sod security is generalisation and isn't aimed at you, how could it be I haven't been to your venue. But many many venues I have been to many promoters don't seem to care once you have handed your money over. No security, promoters paying no attention to what is happening inside, they treat it like the paying punters, as a night out. That is fact in many cases.

If promoters just want a night out then they should pack the "promoting" in.

If they want to promote then they should do it properly and provide a safe comfortable atmosphere and venue for those who have handed their money over.

If you leave the door open with no one watching it you are asking for trouble.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!