Letting Drunk's In Venue's After The Pub's Shut ?

cress

I thought that it was a legal requirement to have licenced security ???....I know we have always used security at our promotions in the past...low key & briefed by myself, always have one guy/gal on the door & we used to have a cut off point for entry, the security were briefed to see off drunks, but if we were asked for by name to come get us & we would vet guests before making a decision on entry...no offence to anyone, but along with equipment soul promoters are constantly wingin it !!!. 

Best Russ

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've always found the Easington soul nights to be a very friendly venue and with a good atmosphere, it's sad that the minority always seem to spoil things for the majority. It's also a sorry state of life now that you'll bump into pissheads werever or whatever type of venue or function you attend.

Shame your shutting the second room Bob, I would'nt.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

i run easington welfare soul. my name is bob armstrong,i am really sorry to hear about  this... in 13 years of running easington, why did no one, who noticed these dickheads doing this, come to me and confront me.. and ask me to sort it out..  we run two rooms at easington, the main room  & a modern room,  i run the modern room, so i was out of the main room from 11 pm till 1am,,,there are three promoters, and we do the last spots in the main room..we come of the door at 11.30ish, i understand these arseholes came in after that, at that point , until closing at 1am there is nobody attending the door & we cannot close the main door as that is the only door to outside where you can have a smoke, and people leaving to go home..

i know the main problem, it is the welfare hall itself advertising in the local papers, so you get the local's coming in.. BIG MISTAKE.. and  has been said on here, they are pissed up & asking for some proper music to be played.. ie maria carey or michael "fucking" jackson.. for all of you that have replied on here, that dont know where easington is, it is on the very tip of the north east coast, quarter of a mile off the sea.. the hall is massive & takes some filling, we have worked our socks off to get this place noticed on the soul scene, and have had all the biggest names on the scene playing here...

also on here,some replies are, more in, more money in our pockets.. HOW  WRONG CAN YOU BE, WITHOUT KNOWING WHO WE ARE!!!.. every penny we take on the door ( after paying dj's).. goes back to the welfare hall trust, to try and keep our magnificent welfare hall open,. we do it for the love of soul music, not pounds and pence., and also we do charity nites for cancer research,

twice a year,& have also done "help for heroes" ..

we set the sound up at 9am in the morning till 11am , arrange the seating, take the money on the door, dj in two rooms  & put the sound system away at 1.30 in the morning &  try to keep an eye on the night, for no finacial  rewards, we dont always get it right..

we also do not ever put feedback on here saying, we had so many numbers in,  ..."EVER"

also their is one reply on here saying he noticed the same thing at easington,   "WHEN", easington has been going for 12 years almost every month, or at least 8/9 times a month & i bet i can count on two maybe, three,fingers how many times he has been in those 12 years, think its called,jumping on the bandwagon, too willing to slag somewhere off, they have, really never been too...

i am defending a soul nite i started 12 yrs ago, everybody who comes to easington is made as welcome as possible, at the door when they arrive by us the promoters, and because of one nite, and two to three dickheads , we are gonna close down, as someone else said on here, "NO WAY" we have nearly been there a few times, the hall has to run its self now, no contibutions from the coal 

miners, so we are doing our bit, soul wise, to help keep it going..

if you want to see us, and read some good vibes on easington &  have a look at our venue.. face book us.. Easington welfare soul club...

as i have said i have been running easington soul since 2001 & have only ever seen one fight in the place & that was two lass's fighting over a chair..

but as our scene, becomes more popular, isnt this gonna be more of a problem, if a few people are causing a bit of friction, tell the organisers, to sort it out & nobody informed me personally, .. if i dont see it or dont know, we cant sort it out...

thanks to the kind remarks mike ,that have been said..& to all the people that turn up to our nite..

well said that man :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

weve all made mistakes but to have comments like their days are numbered or what the towns like after dark well it sort of paints an unfair picture... and to be honest most of the locals are pretty decent people ...in the downstairs room me and bob on the three occaisions i was djaying there.. double decked for the last hour and some of the locals came in they were a bit merry but entered into the spirit of the night and danced and were no bother whatsoever, nor did they take the piss in fact one bought me a pint so fair doos

Geordie,

My comment (assuming that was what you were referring to), was not intended to paint an unfair picture of Easington.  In fact, the entire comment was "Easington's days are numbered as a soul venue unless the promoter gets a handle on it."  It was meant to illustrate what can happen if things are allowed to get out of hand, based on what happened at another venue.  In fact Kev Sowerby, who did a spot at Easington on Saturday night, was witness to the incident at the venue I referred to in my post, as we had travelled there together.  Nobody on the scene likes to see good events closing because of dwindling attendance for whatever reason (with the possible exception of rival promoters), and I applaud Bob's open and honest post explaining what happened on the night, and wish him every success in the future.

Steve S.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Steve no offence intended to your post, i was just saying that one incident wouldnt kill a venue, not one that is been run as well as Easington, and ive seen more than a few yobs running around at other soul venues that are still going...wasnt there a serious incident at another north east venue a while back which resulted in a stanley knife attack..not the promorters fault hence why i havent named the venue but it does occaisionally happen and yes its a let down on the night and when it happens we all have an opinion and the world goes mad... but we go for months years before an incident happens and hundreds of thousands of happy punters the length and bredth of britain over the 365 days..so lets keep it in context...i was scrapping with pissheads every night when i ran the compass in whitley bay... if only it had been a one off like this then it wouldnt be worth talking about...(mind you i was young and enjoyed the rumbles occaisionally :wicked: )

Geeooooordie

Social source share

Agreed Geordie, one incident wouldn't (and shouldn't) close a venue.  I think the problem with the venue I mentioned was that it started out with a few idiots, nothing was done about it, so next time more idiots turned up, and so on, until tempers eventually flared and the inevitable punch up ensued.  Don't know who called the police, possibly the venue manager, but that sounded the death knell.  If it had been nipped in the bud early, the place would probably be still on the soul map, but when people have got a choice, they're going to opt for a venue where that bollocks doesn't occur, especially when having to travel.

Social source share

i run easington welfare soul. my name is bob armstrong,i am really sorry to hear about  this... in 13 years of running easington, why did no one, who noticed these dickheads doing this, come to me and confront me.. and ask me to sort it out..  we run two rooms at easington, the main room  & a modern room,  i run the modern room, so i was out of the main room from 11 pm till 1am,,,there are three promoters, and we do the last spots in the main room..we come of the door at 11.30ish, i understand these arseholes came in after that, at that point , until closing at 1am there is nobody attending the door & we cannot close the main door as that is the only door to outside where you can have a smoke, and people leaving to go home..

i know the main problem, it is the welfare hall itself advertising in the local papers, so you get the local's coming in.. BIG MISTAKE.. and  has been said on here, they are pissed up & asking for some proper music to be played.. ie maria carey or michael "fucking" jackson.. for all of you that have replied on here, that dont know where easington is, it is on the very tip of the north east coast, quarter of a mile off the sea.. the hall is massive & takes some filling, we have worked our socks off to get this place noticed on the soul scene, and have had all the biggest names on the scene playing here...

also on here,some replies are, more in, more money in our pockets.. HOW  WRONG CAN YOU BE, WITHOUT KNOWING WHO WE ARE!!!.. every penny we take on the door ( after paying dj's).. goes back to the welfare hall trust, to try and keep our magnificent welfare hall open,. we do it for the love of soul music, not pounds and pence., and also we do charity nites for cancer research,

twice a year,& have also done "help for heroes"  charity nites in the past  ,and our next nite in october is for harry & diane crosby, (who a lot of you may know personally, or from here on soul source) who lost their son in july, to help towards a memorial headstone

we set the sound up at 9am in the morning till 11am , arrange the seating, take the money on the door, dj in two rooms  & put the sound system away at 1.30 in the morning &  try to keep an eye on the night, for no finacial  rewards, we dont always get it right..

we also do not ever put feedback on here saying, we had so many numbers in,  ..."EVER"

also their is one reply on here saying he noticed the same thing at easington,   "WHEN", easington has been going for 12 years almost every month, or at least 8/9 times a month & i bet i can count on two maybe, three,fingers how many times he has been in those 12 years, think its called,jumping on the bandwagon, too willing to slag somewhere off, they have, really never been too...

i am defending a soul nite i started 12 yrs ago, everybody who comes to easington is made as welcome as possible, at the door when they arrive by us the promoters, and because of one nite, and two to three dickheads , we are gonna close down, as someone else said on here, "NO WAY" we have nearly been there a few times, the hall has to run its self now, no contibutions from the coal 

miners, so we are doing our bit, soul wise, to help keep it going..

if you want to see us, and read some good vibes on easington &  have a look at our venue.. face book us.. Easington welfare soul club...

as i have said i have been running easington soul since 2001 & have only ever seen one fight in the place & that was two lass's fighting over a chair..

but as our scene, becomes more popular, isnt this gonna be more of a problem, if a few people are causing a bit of friction, tell the organisers, to sort it out & nobody informed me personally, .. if i dont see it or dont know, we cant sort it out...

thanks to the kind remarks mike ,that have been said..& to all the people that turn up to our nite..

Hi Bob...X Well done on your successful Soul Nights and time dedicated to serving the people....which goes beyond that night I know!x I made a comment in this thread that I never allowed any drunks into any of my functions I was responsible for. Perhaps being sold out at my Soul Nights prevented such happenings over the 5 years I did them monthly!Like you....in 7/8 years of trekking every week-end through the 90's...I never once saw a fight....or had th-*+-e need to address undesirables. It's one of the things that attracts me to the scene....no bo**ox.  can see how on this occasion logistics weren't able to cover the dilemma...and sh*t happens!x Your response and approach is more than adequate for any Promoter and indeed this should not in any way represent or reflect your 12 years of sincere effort as gleamed from your post!x Respects mate and I would gladly go toa do promoted by anindividual with your ethos and passion...X Thanx for sharing and have a good un next time...X

LUV
SOOTY
X

...security? Russ...when doing functions around my way...and all Councils have their own approach......but usually it is 1 security guard=50 people! However....when you throw Northern Soul in there....the response I had from Police and Councils back in the day....was that 2 would suffice...at St Ives...with up to 1200 in there at iits peak! Raves?? My mate put on a function at the St Ivo when we were doing our A/Ns.....he had to have 20 bouncers for 800 folk....or no license.......!x

Chalky did make a serious point too.....which should underpin all dooos!x A 'promoter'...isn't a Soulie...DJ...or dancer....first and foremost. You willsee Ady....Little Scotty....Len......welcoming Soulies and having an eye on things....at all times...first and foremost!x It is your responsibility as a Promoter to do just that. Anything else is a bonus! Did I enjoy St Ives??? Nope...not really! My 10 hours was usually spent making sure everyone else was ok! I may have had a dance or two...and had a spot to finish the night.....but even those spots weren't me at me best'...as I weren't 'there' as I would have been at other peoples doo's! In fact I did take myself off some of my functions to concentrate on ensuring the night was a success! So Bob....if applying Chalkys point to your scenario....perhaps you should have forgone your spot?!x Harsh mate I know....but....priorities!x It's a valid criticism but given your track record.....and the circumstances....nobody can condemn you for it mate....but.....because you weren't 'on it'....as you say....it was 'sods law'.....!x A good thread and hopefully serious food for thought to improve punters...and the scenes nights...with lessons...albeit harsh ones...to be learnt....I reckon!x

Don't take my word for the doormans approach to your nights....listen to one.....!x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScggtRF2lsI

.....erm....and whilst we were talking...2 heads crept in........possibly the 2 pi** heads...........simply done init/!x

@@
~

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Bob...X Well done on your successful Soul Nights and time dedicated to serving the people....which goes beyond that night I know!x I made a comment in this thread that I never allowed any drunks into any of my functions I was responsible for. Perhaps being sold out at my Soul Nights prevented such happenings over the 5 years I did them monthly!Like you....in 7/8 years of trekking every week-end through the 90's...I never once saw a fight....or had th-*+-e need to address undesirables. It's one of the things that attracts me to the scene....no bo**ox.  can see how on this occasion logistics weren't able to cover the dilemma...and sh*t happens!x Your response and approach is more than adequate for any Promoter and indeed this should not in any way represent or reflect your 12 years of sincere effort as gleamed from your post!x Respects mate and I would gladly go toa do promoted by anindividual with your ethos and passion...X Thanx for sharing and have a good un next time...X

LUV

SOOTY

X

...security? Russ...when doing functions around my way...and all Councils have their own approach......but usually it is 1 security guard=50 people! However....when you throw Northern Soul in there....the response I had from Police and Councils back in the day....was that 2 would suffice...at St Ives...with up to 1200 in there at iits peak! Raves?? My mate put on a function at the St Ivo when we were doing our A/Ns.....he had to have 20 bouncers for 800 folk....or no license.......!x

Chalky did make a serious point too.....which should underpin all dooos!x A 'promoter'...isn't a Soulie...DJ...or dancer....first and foremost. You willsee Ady....Little Scotty....Len......welcoming Soulies and having an eye on things....at all times...first and foremost!x It is your responsibility as a Promoter to do just that. Anything else is a bonus! Did I enjoy St Ives??? Nope...not really! My 10 hours was usually spent making sure everyone else was ok! I may have had a dance or two...and had a spot to finish the night.....but even those spots weren't me at me best'...as I weren't 'there' as I would have been at other peoples doo's! In fact I did take myself off some of my functions to concentrate on ensuring the night was a success! So Bob....if applying Chalkys point to your scenario....perhaps you should have forgone your spot?!x Harsh mate I know....but....priorities!x It's a valid criticism but given your track record.....and the circumstances....nobody can condemn you for it mate....but.....because you weren't 'on it'....as you say....it was 'sods law'.....!x A good thread and hopefully serious food for thought to improve punters...and the scenes nights...with lessons...albeit harsh ones...to be learnt....I reckon!x

Don't take my word for the doormans approach to your nights....listen to one.....!x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScggtRF2lsI

.....erm....and whilst we were talking...2 heads crept in........possibly the 2 pi** heads...........simply done init/!x

@@

~

Nicely worded its a hard life promoting,you can never enjoy your own event no matter what.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I was one of the people these ar*e holes approached on Sat night, but the situation was defused pretty quickly by Tracy from the Boro soul crew, I agree that these people should not be allowed in, however I would just like to point out that this was a one off, I have been going to Easington for years and this is the first time this sort of  thing has occurred(to my knowledge anyway),so I wouldn't let it put you off, plus as it now has been highlighted I'm sure restrictions will be in place for the next Easington night.

Social source share

Bob , if you look at my post i asked for people's view's on the matter i wasn' t having a pop at you or any one else and i,ve been coming to the Welly since it started as often as i can, indeed i don't know if you heard but when the Dukester was running it and it was going to close 10/06  ( if my oldziemers remember's rightly ? )  i gave him £500 to keep it open , the guy who ran the club at the time heard of it and put my name forward to do the new roof ? which with his help we got the job ,(heard he has now died , really nice man)...

One of the girl's on our bus went to see the guy on the  main door (lad with glass's on ) just after they  stole the table from the 4 girl's dancing,  and he just said he was watching them ???

We know if you were downstairs you couldn't see what was happening , so like i said i was not having a go at you or the welly !  that might of been some of the later post's ,who don't know you guy's ......                                                                                                 Cress  :facepalm:    

Social source share

Nicely worded its a hard life promoting,you can never enjoy your own event no matter what.

Yup 'A Promoters lot is a Promoters lot' I'm afraid - The people that do it for the right reasons know this, and they stick at it because their heart is in it. After reading this thread, I'd just like to add that I hope the Easington Welfare Soul events (as have been discussed) all the best for the future (or other events they may be involved in) I don't know them and have never been to the event, but on reading this I can tell they are 'on side', and care very much about what they are doing.

As a promoter one has to be able to take all sorts of criticisms and not all are constructive (to put it lightly), also they can be 'thrown' at you in a very aggressive manner. This and many other things just have to be dealt with......but every so often one gets through and hurts - It's bound to if you put your heart and soul into something :wink:

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

We started soul nights in a local bar, which is just off the town centre and to be honest it had a little bit of a previous reputation, but the night is ours alone.

We issue (free) tickets, which allows us to have in who we want really and the owners put security on the door. Both of those certainly restricts anyone simply walking up and getting in.

To date, some 9 or 10 months on we have had no problems.

Ok, you cannot stop those attending from getting drunk, but thankfully, again, we have not had any problems.

We would do memberships, but have yet to work out the best way to bring this in.

I think it is up to the promoters and the owners to work out a solution between them.

Social source share

Don't let a few pissheads shut you down.  Set Wally on em next time  :wicked: They won't come back again :D

best of luck for the future though in all seriousness.  Incidents like this can happen to anyone.  You can only learn from these sort of things and will make the night a better night for all concerned.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

post-6276-0-22400400-1378829353_thumb.jp

Cress I was not defending or justifying their actions just trying to answer the questions you posed.  The behavior you describe was a lot worse than I ever seen there but just reinforces my view that no one would want to intervene to stop it as it would of resulted in a serious punch-up!  The venue is a Miners Welfare club (a very famous one at that) and as such many of those causing the trouble would be regulars - even members - and probably feel  they have more right to be there than bus loads from Middlesbrough or wherever.  

And with due respect to others who have posted , Easington is not Banbury! - It is officially recognised as being the most economically deprived town in the United Kingdom and has the largest percentage of long term illness and unemployment - it's a pretty rough place with not a lot to do on Saturday night after the pubs shut. As such I think it would be very difficult to 'police' the door and any subsequent trouble.  Did any of you party attempt to remove any of the troublemakers?  I know I would of got my coat and beat a retreat down the A19! 

BTW are you the Cress I met at the O'jays gig in Primm Valley in 2010?

Mike

Mike ,Yes  that was me running up and down with a bucket of Budweiser ??shouting and whistling generally making a fool off myself  :wicked: ! No Mike on a more serious note  That was a very good night mate , O'jay's top, top band , think i've uploaded a pic from that nt , hope you are keeping well

Cress  :thumbsup: 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

What if you're a pisshead who's there for the music?  :huh:  :huh:

Not a problem mate  .Simple solution really, put on the door soft drinks being served only,that should do the trick.Thats more beer for the northern conniseur pisshead who is there for the music. :thumbsup:

Social source share

If your point is that the land lord is entitled to allow his regular customers to attend an event staged on his premises, I would agree that of course he and his regulars should be encouraged to do so.

The problem is that some visitors can totally ruin an event, not 'cos they aren't into soul music or 'cos they are drinking and having a good time, the problem under discussion is that "drunks" causing bother, taking the piss out of dancers and the music, spoil it for the people who have come for a soul night ......and that's why the poster of the thread is asking why they are allowed in.

Never been refused entry to a pub for being a soul boy and never likely to really am I, pretty unlikely scenario really innit?

Take it you've got a downer on "local" events and venues too? Certainly comes over that way.

Ah well, each to his own.

My point is if you discriminate against people from off our so called scene don't moan if you get discriminated against when you go on their patch.

Also more & more events are taking place in pubs that are open to all. Classic example of this is the excellent Horse & Groom events on Sunday afternoons in Doncaster. Recently DJ'ed at a local event where a bit of everything was played, Northern, House, Ska, Rocksteady & Mod type stuff & the pub was full of a mixed crowd of Soul fans, Mods & locals both young & old & everybody just got on with it & had a good time. Of course some of the younger kids were dancing with drinks in their hands but what the hell as they were enjoying themselves. God only knows how we are going to attract new blood onto the scene if we treat them like kids & expect them to obey our set in stone rules regarding 'Soul scene etiquette'. 

We used to get regulary thrown out of The Vinery in Hinckley before the Leisure Centre nighter for exactly that reason Martin. :lol:

Opposite used to happen to us back in the day in the Charters Arms near Rotherham's Clifton Hall. The landlord used to love us coming in as it gave the locals someone different to fight with  :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Cress I was not defending or justifying their actions just trying to answer the questions you posed.  The behavior you describe was a lot worse than I ever seen there but just reinforces my view that no one would want to intervene to stop it as it would of resulted in a serious punch-up!  The venue is a Miners Welfare club (a very famous one at that) and as such many of those causing the trouble would be regulars - even members - and probably feel  they have more right to be there than bus loads from Middlesbrough or wherever.  

And with due respect to others who have posted , Easington is not Banbury! - It is officially recognised as being the most economically deprived town in the United Kingdom and has the largest percentage of long term illness and unemployment - it's a pretty rough place with not a lot to do on Saturday night after the pubs shut. As such I think it would be very difficult to 'police' the door and any subsequent trouble.  Did any of you party attempt to remove any of the troublemakers?  I know I would of got my coat and beat a retreat down the A19! 

BTW are you the Cress I met at the O'jays gig in Primm Valley in 2010?

Mike

Hi Mike,

Just to note that Banbury has its own distinct areas of deprivation, though not perhaps an overall statement applying to the town as a whole.

3 of the electoral wards are assessed as being in the highest 10% of deprived areas in the whole country. Like parts of Oxford, London, and lots of places around the country, these can sit by side with wealthier areas, and even within those wards there will be plenty of people who might be surprised to be described as 'deprived'.

I don't mean to say this to take away from the difficulties of Easington (oddly enough the name of one of the other electoral wards in Banbury!), but just to say that while Banbury is a great place and has a successful soul club about to hit the 10th anniversary, it's not the image of leafy rich Oxfordshire and Cotswolds that some might think.

Good work from Julie at Saturday's event, looked like it could go either way and things did seem to settle down. Seems that a polite word works wonders at various evenings.

Sean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

"we have just this minute, come from a emergency meeting with the easington wefare committee, and from now on the welfare have agreed to put a security on the door,one to start with,then see if we need two..& a sign will be going up, no addmittance after 11pm.."

Bob...X I had a Pub as part of my business interests several years ago. I had nowt to do with it really....just supported a good friend. Part of what I did do as a consequence was to attend the Pub Watch meetings and understand stuff from that perspective. Based on that involvement and experience gathered...I would suggest 10.30 last entry! That extra half hour is when the 'chamcers' looking for more beer...will 'go for it'! When promoting anything...I am focused on the followers....be it Soulies...or a wedding disco on an evening! If they are going...and are 'family'...Soulies....then they'd be there 9.30...10 at the latest. Finishing @ 1am?? Why would anyone want to get there at 11....to hear just 2 hours?.......folk don't turn up at weddings that late....! Done over 300 'party's' in me time and they....including the dipsticks...are there by 10......! So....be proud.....IT'S A NORTHERN SOUL NIGHT.....GET IN. Personally....I would be looking to close me doors 10.30 latest....and lett he party commence! From a group dynamics point of view....it lets folk relax....feel amongst their own....and know it ain;t gonna be hi-jacked! I watch folk at functions.....and they are creatures of habit and like to cuddle really! My type of doo!x Whilst I am suggesting it for you as you are assessing your approach....it ain;t a bad approach for any Northern function! Be there...or pi** off.....PAAAAAARTYYYYYY!!!!! Ity worked for us our way anyway.....!x

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

p.s....Dave Evison....!x What's he like???? Is he getting his slippers on already?????!!!!hehe!x He was the one who I let eat my time up the most when taking over!!! I;'d always let him play an extra 2...! He'd turn to me and say he's putting 1 more on...on the hour.....and then i'd say....do anuver Dave.....and his face would light up with joy instead of apologising for his last one!!! Luv'd seeing him like that!!x Luvly fella and a joy to share the decks with anytime...X I'll get him a pipe for chrimbo.....!!hehe!x

@@
~

Social source share

Don't let a few pissheads shut you down.  Set Wally on em next time  :wicked: They won't come back again :D

best of luck for the future though in all seriousness.  Incidents like this can happen to anyone.  You can only learn from these sort of things and will make the night a better night for all concerned.

I'm a reformed character now Chalky... the only fighting I do is in my sleep. :shhh:

Hope your keeping well & pass my best on to Andy when you see him next.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!