Simon Soussan

Guest pendulum

Guest pendulum

Has anybody got the the story on how this guy secured the rights to the los angelos mirwood label.Remember he put out out the instrumental to yhe furys and jackie lee anything else?????l

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Has anybody got the the story on how this guy secured the rights to the los angelos mirwood label.Remember he put out out the instrumental to yhe furys and jackie lee anything else?????l

No solid knowledge but he once came to Wigan in about 1974 this was after he had left Leeds to live in Los Angeles and by then the instrumentals were being played. No idea what deal he secured. My sense was at that time he was making contact with a lot of west coast labels and producers. It was around this time that Don Cornelius's ''Soul Train' was on US TV. I know he gravitated towards the show and that is where he met Jeffrey Daniel of Shalimar, who was a dancer this was prior to the recording 'Uptown Festival'. He was already moving from 'reproducing' northern to 'producing' original music - the instrumentals were probably an early and fairly primitive studio experiment. But the Mirwood Deal - alas I know nowt.

Social source share

He is supposed to have been given the master tapes by Randy Wood.

You know about 5 years back when Ian levine set up this new chat group thing called Advanced Northern Soul? Well for the first 2 months it was absolutely belting, some great chat/argument and some very interesting people on there. I made some comment about Simon Soussan doing something or other, the next day I got an email from him saying that he didn't do whatever I'd said he did and would I please correct that statement! Which simply goes to prove that he didn't just vanish, he must still be on the edge of the scene.

Social source share

Anyone ever worked out a listing of the Soussan-era Mirwood releases? Several odd numbering sequences and/or dodgy-looking things, starting I suppose with the old "Superdance", the vocal of which awas (correct me if I'm wrong" "Hully Gully" off Jackie Lee's "Duck" album, though not credited as such on the singles.

Here's a starter...

FURYS BANDI'M SATISFIED WITH YOU (INSTR.)1966USMIRWOOD 1000A7"PRESSING

PERFORMERSSET ME FREE USMIRWOOD 1000B7"PRESSING

LEE, JACKIESUPERDANCE196USMIRWOOD 10087"PRESSING

OLYMPICSTHE SAME OLD THING (ALT. TAKE)1966USMIRWOOD 5525 A7"PRESSING

OLYMPICSTHE BOUNCE USMIRWOOD 5525 B7"PRESSING

Edited by Jerry Hipkiss
Social source share

Guest martyn

Anyone ever worked out a listing of the Soussan-era Mirwood releases? Several odd numbering sequences and/or dodgy-looking things, starting I suppose with the old "Superdance", the vocal of which awas (correct me if I'm wrong" "Hully Gully" off Jackie Lee's "Duck" album, though not credited as such on the singles.

Here's a starter...

FURYS BANDI'M SATISFIED WITH YOU (INSTR.)1966USMIRWOOD 1000A7"PRESSING

PERFORMERSSET ME FREE USMIRWOOD 1000B7"PRESSING

LEE, JACKIESUPERDANCE196USMIRWOOD 10087"PRESSING

OLYMPICSTHE SAME OLD THING (ALT. TAKE)1966USMIRWOOD 5525 A7"PRESSING

OLYMPICSTHE BOUNCE USMIRWOOD 5525 B7"PRESSING

There was an instrumental to Temptation Walk on a black Mirwood label-will try & find it latter(if I still have it) for the number.

Social source share

I know it came out on Soul Fox rather than Mirwood but I really like the instrumental version of the Mirettes "He's Alright With Me".

You can really hear the band cooking on it - particularly the bass player. It makes nonsense of the often repeted stuff about Northern Soul records being rougher, inferior cuts to the likes of Motown.

Godz

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!