If I Were A Dj

Drew3

Been following the recent debates re KR's etc and whilst I find the whole thing facinating the main interest for me has been learning about the music policy of some venues and very well established DJ's.

I have never been to KR's Stoke do but some posters give the impression that the music is mainly 'overplayed oldies'.

Because I don't get to NS venues as much as I would like I am never quite sure which records fit this bill?

I amuse myself by creating play lists that I would like to hear played out and I put them together as if i were going to DJ (I'm starting to get worried that I'm spending too much time on here).

So., If I were a DJ (humour me here folks) .............. this would be my first ever set:

If it wasn't for love. Jimmy Bee.

I'll do anything. Doris Troy

Lucky to be loved by you. Emmanual Laskey.

Wake me, shake me. The Supremes.

You don't want me no more. Major Lance.

Every hurt makes you stronger. Chuck Bernard.

Trust in me. Jackie Ross.

Ain't nothing you ca do. Bobby Bland.

I end up crying. The Vibrations.

I got news for you. Benny Latimore.

Rip off. Laura Lee.

A love you can depend on. Brenda and The Tabulations.

We got to keep on. Freddy Hughes.

I'm the one who loves you. Billy Spoon.

I don't want a playboy. Barbara Lynn.

I need you like a baby. Andrea Henry.

We ain't gonna make it. The Outsiders.

I remember the feeling Barbara Lewis.

Thinking about you. The Dells.

Use you head. Mary Wells.

Invitation. Band of Angels.

Law against a heartbreaker. Kell Osborne.

You keep coming back. 100% Pure Poison.

A quitter never wins. Larry Williams & Johnnny Guitar Watson.

Just believe in me. Geraldine Hunt.

Good Times. Gene Chandler

Now I know this would be a long spot but this is all in my head so it doesn't matter! :tumbleweed3:

So, would I have just done a spot full of overplayed oldies or underpalayed classics? Would I have filled the dancefloor or emptied it in your opinion?

If my first spot was half decent I am available for birthdays, weddings and bar mitzvahs.

If you want me for a soul do I'll have to borrow all you records! :tumbleweed3:

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

• Replies 28
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

"trust in me" I don't think i've ever heard this out... love this by the way

ive played this out at morden and yrs ago at fleet

top tune imho

Social source share

Been following the recent debates re KR's etc and whilst I find the whole thing facinating the main interest for me has been learning about the music policy of some venues and very well established DJ's.

I have never been to KR's Stoke do but some posters give the impression that the music is mainly 'overplayed oldies'.

Because I don't get to NS venues as much as I would like I am never quite sure which records fit this bill?

I amuse myself by creating play lists that I would like to hear played out and I put them together as if i were going to DJ (I'm starting to get worried that I'm spending too much time on here).

So., If I were a DJ (humour me here folks) .............. this would be my first ever set:

Rip off. Laura Lee.

Now I know this would be a long spot but this is all in my head so it doesn't matter! :D

So, would I have just done a spot full of overplayed oldies or underpalayed classics? Would I have filled the dancefloor or emptied it in your opinion?

If my first spot was half decent I am available for birthdays, weddings and bar mitzvahs.

If you want me for a soul do I'll have to borrow all you records! :lol:

KTF.

Drew.

Sorry, didn't read the KR thread mate, can't be arsed with all that petty politics. It's not 1985 any more and we are adults now (allegedly :D ).

What you suggest looks like a good and imaginative set to me Drew and you have thoughtfully remembered that it is the soul that counts. I'd certainly listen and probably dance to most (Barbara Lewis......oooooohhh!!). :)

Granted you say you have few records but not sure what you mean when you say "If I were a DJ". Surely we are all DJs, we just happen to be missing the inflated egos and mis-judged sense of priorities. Ooops, there I go again, speaking my mind...........please don't berate me moderators! :)

John.

Social source share

Sorry, didn't read the KR thread mate, can't be arsed with all that petty politics. It's not 1985 any more and we are adults now (allegedly :D ).

What you suggest looks like a good and imaginative set to me Drew and you have thoughtfully remembered that it is the soul that counts. I'd certainly listen and probably dance to most (Barbara Lewis......oooooohhh!!). :)

Granted you say you have few records but not sure what you mean when you say "If I were a DJ". Surely we are all DJs, we just happen to be missing the inflated egos and mis-judged sense of priorities. Ooops, there I go again, speaking my mind...........please don't berate me moderators! :)

No, believe me John to be perfectly accurate, to be a DJ I'd have to borrow all of your records!!!! :lol:

KTF.

drew.

John.

Social source share

Rip off. Laura Lee.

Now I know this would be a long spot but this is all in my head so it doesn't matter! :)

If you want me for a soul do I'll have to borrow all you records! :lol:

KTF.

Drew.

Hi Drew just posted a few I played at Whalley and Billington........please let me know your views on the records and would you buy them?ATVB Steve P.S.Please have a look at the

"events" section.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Good list Drew, some nice stuff there.

Just a word of caution though... I did my first ever DJ spot a couple of weeks ago and i went along knowing exactly what i wanted to play (pretty much) but when i got there, started my spot and later did another hour or so my pre-arranged list in my head went out of the window...

The venue, the crowd, the dancers, requests etc.. will change your best laid plans. It was a brilliant night and i really enjoyed it and i kept the floor busy (never empty at least :) ), but i probably only played 50% of what i might have wanted to play (some of which would be certain floor clearers at the venue i was at).

Another thing i learned. It's a lot harder than it looks juggling the right sound at the right moment, and the next, and the next etc...

Hope you get a chance to play that list Drew, i'd be on the floor supporting you :lol:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

At the right venue and the right time of night most of these tracks will do it for the masses and i agree with the others a nice mixed bag of soulful tunes.

bearsy.

Social source share

At the right venue and the right time of night most of these tracks will do it for the masses and i agree with the others a nice mixed bag of soulful tunes.

bearsy.

But that's the point of my post Bearsy, which venues?

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

KTF.

Drew.

Drew, that's the Catch 22.... :huh: nobody has a list of which venues suit which dj & their playlist....you just have to interogate the promotor who asks you to guest or visit the venue beforehand to see what goes down well. I suspect that you have a good knowledge of venues around the UK and would know which ones you would feel most comfortable dj'ing at if the promotor asked you to gig.

I've said it before in another post and Matt has said in his post, dj'ing is like plate juggling - keeping the dancefloor full and delivering just the right selection of music is like keeping the plates spinning on the bamboo sticks whilst smiling and having a great time. Enjoy what you do and with a playlist like yours, you won't be short of bookings......Jo

Social source share

Drew, that's the Catch 22.... :shades: nobody has a list of which venues suit which dj & their playlist....you just have to interogate the promotor who asks you to guest or visit the venue beforehand to see what goes down well. I suspect that you have a good knowledge of venues around the UK and would know which ones you would feel most comfortable dj'ing at if the promotor asked you to gig.

I've said it before in another post and Matt has said in his post, dj'ing is like plate juggling - keeping the dancefloor full and delivering just the right selection of music is like keeping the plates spinning on the bamboo sticks whilst smiling and having a great time. Enjoy what you do and with a playlist like yours, you won't be short of bookings......Jo

Thanks for the reply Jo.

I take your point but because I don't have a knowledge of venues around the country and have only just got back into the scene in the last few years, I am never sure if something that is new to me was well played out in the 80s for instance. Therefore, still trying to get my head round what is an 'overplayed' oldie.

However, as with all things to do with music the answer to most questions is likely to be different each time you ask it as it's all very subjective.

Honestly, I am not a DJ 'pulling the wool' but am an interested punter who because of family, work etc is not likely to be getting to venues up and down the country as I would surely like to.

This said, I could if I spent less time on here and listening to the Jukebox sites!! ranting_1.gif

Can I borrow your records then Jo? :shades:

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Sorry Drew, you sounded like someone who got out and about a bit....unlike me who never goes past the front door unless i'm on the decks cos i'm normally in the garden :D .......Plus, I'm the world's most hopeless punter :D Even now, I find it difficult to understand what is 'played out' and 'en vogue' as different parts of the country differ. And something else.....memory can play wicked tricks on you. I think that an oldie is 'played out'....let's say The Superlatives 'I still love you' - and then I think - EEK, the last time I played this or heard it out was 20 years ago :shades: So it's a decent enough interval to revive it..... :D

Take DD Sharp 'Deep Dark Secret' as an example...if you play this in London, it has been around now for 2-3 years and played at most gigs, filling the floor....on the verge of becoming 'played out'. Travel to a venue in the West of the country and a proportion of the crowd haven't heard it before. I can go to a venue in the North or Midlands and hear a fantastic tune which I've never heard and it fills the floor and it's been played there for yonks....regional differences make it all very confusing but an interesting learning curve - and a drain on the pocket :D

Borrow my records :shades::P I should coco......you've got a good enough playlist of your own ranting_1.gif

Jo

Social source share

Sorry Drew, you sounded like someone who got out and about a bit....unlike me who never goes past the front door unless i'm on the decks cos i'm normally in the garden :D .......Plus, I'm the world's most hopeless punter :D Even now, I find it difficult to understand what is 'played out' and 'en vogue' as different parts of the country differ. And something else.....memory can play wicked tricks on you. I think that an oldie is 'played out'....let's say The Superlatives 'I still love you' - and then I think - EEK, the last time I played this or heard it out was 20 years ago thumbsup.gif So it's a decent enough interval to revive it..... :P

Take DD Sharp 'Deep Dark Secret' as an example...if you play this in London, it has been around now for 2-3 years and played at most gigs, filling the floor....on the verge of becoming 'played out'. Travel to a venue in the West of the country and a proportion of the crowd haven't heard it before. I can go to a venue in the North or Midlands and hear a fantastic tune which I've never heard and it fills the floor and it's been played there for yonks....regional differences make it all very confusing but an interesting learning curve - and a drain on the pocket :D

Borrow my records :D:shades: I should coco......you've got a good enough playlist of your own :shades:

Jo

None of it in record form though Jo. :(

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

None of it in record form though Jo.
:shades:

KTF.

Drew.

Ah....
:P
Well, that's a bit of a problem......if you want to dj...bit like a pub with no beer.
thumbsup.gif
and now is not the cheapest time to start collecting or re-collecting. Anyone got any suggestions
:shades:
Jo

Social source share

Now I know this would be a long spot but this is all in my head so it doesn't matter! :shades:

thumbsup.gif

KTF.

Drew.

Hi, have played the Chuck Bernard the odd time over the last 3 or 4 years, Benny Latimore I still spin...both cheap at around £30/£40 and about £25 respectively. Kell Osbourne is simply great :shades:

Social source share

Kell Osbourne is simply great thumbsup.gif

Agree with you Chalky ... absolute awesome record .... God .... i'd love to have this so i could play it out :shades:

Bill Spoon .... have had this for years and play it out regularly ... another awesome tune .... just wish it came on 7" instead of 12" (.... must be the first time any woman's said that!... ooh missus ...) :shades:

Social source share

Agree with you Chalky ... absolute awesome record .... God .... i'd love to have this so i could play it out :D

Bill Spoon .... have had this for years and play it out regularly ... another awesome tune .... just wish it came on 7" instead of 12" (.... must be the first time any woman's said that!... ooh missus ...) :P

I know Drew3 says humour me here...so I presume this set would be imaginary or maybe Drew3 does have a copy of Kell Osbourne :shades:thumbsup.gif:D

Just buy his Loma outing Joan - Can't Outsmart A Woman.....same backing and nearly as good :shades:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

KTF.

Drew.

the venues where the crowd will dance to them,

nothing is gauranteed with the dance floor as it can vary on the flavour from month to month,

you got to play a view that your in the mood for and see how the floor is reacting, if good keep going if not dont panic try a different flavour if still not just panic !!!!!!!! :wicked:

Social source share

I know Drew3 says humour me here...so I presume this set would be imaginary or maybe Drew3 does have a copy of Kell Osbourne :D:wicked::D

Just buy his Loma outing Joan - Can't Outsmart A Woman.....same backing and nearly as good :wicked:

I think a misplaced smilie such as this :P in my origional post may have misguided and made others think that I do own records and that I DJ and am being mischievious by claiming that I do not.

I only wish I did and I thank you for the encouragement but The Gary Glitter fan I live with would have my nuts if I added buying records to my enjoyment of soul music!! :P

Maybe someday.

Chalky, I have Can't Outsmart A Woman also but only in one of my lists of imaginary sets that I'd play! :shhh:

Started off feeling alright about this post but now I'm starting to feel like a sad git! :(:D

Think I'll take up golf!

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!