John Manship Auction Results 11-9-2013

JOE TORQUAY

8316_1sm.jpg8316_1sm.jpg8316_2sm.jpg
Lee Moses Never In My Life C/w If Loving You Is A Crime

Get yourself ready for a man you’s about to snarl his way into your heart.

Authoritative New York FUNK from the desk of Johnny Brantley who guides Mr. Moses’s tangled vocal chords though a maze of blaring horns and pumping bass guitar, fusing into a potent Deep Funk stroller of immense power.

Flip it over to witness the emotion this man’s nicotine-coated uttering can stir.. Deep Soul at it’s most effective.

This copy is like brand-new flawless condition..

Sorry, this item has already been won!
The winning bid was £ 168.00

8317_1sm.jpg8317_1sm.jpg8317_2sm.jpg
Steve Dixon Poor Man C/w Depend On Me

For those of you enjoy discovering truly great talents, that never hit the heights their obvious capabilities suggested. Here is a sadly underachieving, but highly gifted soul man you will be wanting to hear more of.

Just 4 singles can be attributed to this Alabama artist, this being his only Northern Soul offering, a punchy horn-charged dancer with a hammond driving the rhythm… the pleading voice steers a steady course, as the horns raise the roof… An on-your-knees performance form Steven Dickerson, expressive and dripping in soulful despair.

Jerry Powell who wrote, arranged & produced both sides borrows some arrangement characteristics from Stax or Fame studios, and deliver big!.

Flipside has long been regarded as a Deep soul grail. As the sound of Mobile takes to the air, with a beseeching ballad of zenithal proportions.

A record that will leave you wondering why life’s opportunities for wider recognition are mysteriously denied to obvious talents…but that’s the sad paradox of searching for “Rare Soul”

The winning bid was £ 220.00

8322_1sm.jpg8322_1sm.jpg8322_2sm.jpg
Dean Courtney I'll Always Need You

NS Classics dressed in Black don’t come any more enticing than this.

This RCA BLACK is near perfect

combat the irresistible lure to own, if you can…

The winning bid was £ 287.00

8331_1sm.jpg8331_1sm.jpg8331_2sm.jpg8331_3sm.jpg8331_4sm.jpg
R'nb Scene Autumn 1964 Vol. 1 Edition 3

Wow what an informative issue as Roger Eagle flexes his editorial muscles as the series grows.

This issue from the Autumn of 1964 includes artist pictures and narrative on the following 60s R&B greats. Booker T. Jones, Muddy Waters - the story so far, Mel Turner, Eddie Boyd, Tommy Tucker, Cyril Davies All Stars, Little Walter, Sugar Pie De Santo.

Plus the usual record reviews, plus a neat article on how to strengthen your record collection.

Priceless history from the beginnings of the now worldwide Rare Soul scene.

The winning bid was £ 47.00

Social source share

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

8318_1sm.jpg8318_1sm.jpg8318_2sm.jpg
Triumphs I'm Coming To Your Rescue C/w The World Owes Me A Lovin'

A Northern Soul anthem, a Golden Torch classic from the “Golden Era” of Northern Soul.

Condition on these NS classics is paramount; as more and more serious collectors try and acquire the timeless tunes in as near to perfect as possible. As you can see both label are perfect, vinyl we can assure you it matching.

PINK “A” sits on the “Rescue” side which is nice as it sometimes appears on the flip.

Talking of which, has in recent times mustered a strong gathering of it’s own as the mid-tempo soulful stroller swells in popularity. After you get your breath back from listening to the adrenaline rush ignited by the A-side - listen to Delilah Kennebrew pour out her heart with a plea .. “Love owes her”

Two great sides, in the exact condition you NS-vinyl-neurotics are pursuing.

The winning bid was £ 364.00

8323_1sm.jpg8323_1sm.jpg8323_2sm.jpg
Jon Ford You've Got Me Where You Want Me

The magnificent and incredibly elusive 1970 UK version of the Larry Santos classic.

A fine, fine version and damn hard-to-find.

This copy is totally flawless in every way..

The winning bid was £ 86.00

8324_1sm.jpg8324_1sm.jpg8324_2sm.jpg
Art Freeman Slipping Around C/w Can't Get You Out Of My Mind

an immaculate 1966 British release of this timeless Northern Soul classic.

We all have regrets not buying records, we should have done. Circa 1970 a lad called “CETI” dropped his whole 45 collection onto a stall at Melton Mowbray Sunday Market. Every disc adorned with his tiny white sticker with “CETI” typed onto it.

Me and my record-soul-mate Peter Kendall dived in, with all the minuscule knowledge we could muster and scored like pigs in an orchard, spending every penny we had…

Or so we thought, what we left behind ended up on Grantham market on the Saturday & Leicester market on the Tuesday. Well how was two country soul-boy know-it-all’s be expected to have heard of Rufus Lumley, Art Freeman, Vala Regan, etc. etc. etc. This list of our rejects still hurts today, as the more knowledgeable Dave Owen of Grantham thought he’d died and gone to heaven when the remains of the hoard appeared on his market..

This 45 haunts me still today..as it is such a thumping great slab of Northern Soul that me and Peter would have squabbled over in his front room after we’d scattered out our latest acquisitions over his carpet…

I would like to say in our defense we weren’t complete idiots because we captured every Major Lance 45 on Columbia, all the Soul on UK London, Chess, Tamla Motown etc. ….a little knowledge is dangerous as they say.

The winning bid was £ 211.00

8312_1sm.jpg8312_1sm.jpg8312_2sm.jpg
Troy Dodds Try My Love C/w The Real Thing

Aweome tune, awesome label, awesome condition.

Booming Bay Area Northern Soul that not only boasts the ability to fill the dancefloor - but also the capacity to occupy the eye.

Truly the most-beautiful of all the rare-soul labels.

The winning bid was £ 742.00

Social source share

8326_1sm.jpg8326_1sm.jpg8326_2sm.jpg
Frank Eddie Love Has Never Passed Me By

Rare Florida Soulful Dance 45 drench in irresistible qualities.

Take a listen, it’s potential to smash through it’s current “Soulful 70s” club boundaries into the worldwide cauldron that is “Northern Soul” is long overdue.

Eventually top tunes quality always break through. Then will we all know what happens…

The winning bid was £ 176.00

8319_1sm.jpg8319_1sm.jpg8319_2sm.jpg
Sammy Campbell I Never Thought (i'd Find Anybody Like You) C/w S.o.s. For Love

Sammy Campbell of the Del-Larks, writes, produces and then effortlessly cruises through this New Jersey mid-tempo.

Supported by Heavenly girls cooing and answering with chorus at every opportunity plus the extra added burst of male vocal with the shout “Nobody” taking the production by surprise, then an instrumental break lifts this street-level session into greatness.

I must say I’m ashamed not to have taken the time to listen more intently, not just to the sublime lead side but also to the flip. That pleads to be included in a “Soul Essence” afternoon set. As this overlooked jewel is just saturated in emotion, but sitting comfortably somewhere between Deep Soul & NS Crossover.

Two sides of pure distilled sorrow from the soulfully fertile streets Plainsfield, New Jersey.

The winning bid was £ 321.00

8320_1sm.jpg8320_1sm.jpg8320_2sm.jpg
Chubby Checker You Just Don't Know (what You Do To Me)

Let’s put the desirability of this iconic Northern Soul anthem into perspective.

It was NEVER ISSUED in the USA

ONLY PROMO on the West Coast press by Monarch Recordings and given the much-sought after “Two shields” “Staggered Logo” design you’re gazing upon right now.

There is of course a VINYL EAST COAST white label test press - a Parkway library file copy and only ONE known to exist.

So if like many, you are steadfast in collecting Northern Soul on USA presses; this 45 is one very tough cookie to capture. You can of course go for the also rare 1966 UK press - but that would not look anywhere as neat, as this beauty in your Parkway run of great Northern Soul offerings.

The chance to own this legend comes around so infrequently do not pass by.

If you want to hear proper-real-deal Northern Soul - check out Chubby under the influence of CHICAGO and the CONLO production team leting themselves loose on by Bobby Miller’s composition.

The winning bid was £ 810.00

Social source share

8325_1sm.jpg8325_1sm.jpg8325_2sm.jpg
Billy Young The Sloopy

This records takes me back to those mystical days when reading Blues & Soul on a Friday, would help decide where you spent the weekend; as the small town gatherings of Soul-Boys & Girls would discuss which club it was going to be for the Friday & Saturday nights.

Blackpool Mecca, Va Va’s, Leeds Central or The Catacombs. “The Cats” often got the vote with their thought provoking adverts in B&S listing the likes of Johnny Sayles, Richard Temple, Cigarette Ashes and THE SLOOPY! Mostly mysterious names, that were the clubs new discoveries, we were yet to hear.

Mattress in the back of the transit Van and off on our weekend soul adventure we’d go.

Before you today is one “The Cats” signature tunes, that enticed 100s to flock to Wolverampton from every corner of England.

So why an auction item, firstly it’s great memories for me. But secondly and far more important notice that this listing is the RARE PROMO copy is the FIRST Georgia press with no reference to Atco or Atlantic Distribution Record Sales the “Otis Reddings” label enjoyed shortly after this the local promo.

As a WHITE PROMO in this format, those of you afflicted with the “White Demo Northern Soul Syndrome” will fully appreciate it’s elusivity.

Personally I appreciate the indelible memories it gave me…

The winning bid was £ 78.00

8321_1sm.jpg8321_1sm.jpg8321_2sm.jpg
Gary Dean You Can Say

Uplifting, relentless Northern Soul that was a monster tune for Gary Spencer during the late 80s. Gary is a DJ who’s absence from the scene has been a huge loss - as he invariably delivered sets full of the upbeat classic-style NS stompers, just like this one.

Gary’s choice selections for the turntable guaranteed an electric atmosphere, i have good memories of him at work, but it seems like forever since our last copy of this rarity was listed; our data reveals only 3 in the last 15 years and this latest copy is in just utterly flawless condition.

Frenetic Northern Soul with an insane instrumental break to die for.Listening again we think this tune is just begging for reactivation… Unless Gary Spencer would like to join the DJ gang again and belt out some seldom-heard stompers like he used to..

How refreshing would that be?

The winning bid was £ 345.00

Social source share

8321_1sm.jpg8321_1sm.jpg8321_2sm.jpg
Gary Dean You Can Say

Uplifting, relentless Northern Soul that was a monster tune for Gary Spencer during the late 80s. Gary is a DJ who’s absence from the scene has been a huge loss - as he invariably delivered sets full of the upbeat classic-style NS stompers, just like this one.

Gary’s choice selections for the turntable guaranteed an electric atmosphere, i have good memories of him at work, but it seems like forever since our last copy of this rarity was listed; our data reveals only 3 in the last 15 years and this latest copy is in just utterly flawless condition.

Frenetic Northern Soul with an insane instrumental break to die for.Listening again we think this tune is just begging for reactivation… Unless Gary Spencer would like to join the DJ gang again and belt out some seldom-heard stompers like he used to..

How refreshing would that be?

The winning bid was £ 345.00

I`m guessing this was never pressed??

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert