Just Watching Romona Collins Come Down To The Wire

Mal C

I got him to send me a soundclip and there was an amount of noise I can tell you. Hope all the bidders asked for the clip. Can't believe you'd bid at this level unless it was top condition. But, what a top tune though! If anyone has an Ex copy though please PM me...

Rich

Edited by Rich Buckley
Social source share

What a record! ...I'm happy to dance whenever Arthur Fenn (or whoever else is lucky enough to own a copy) decides to pop it on. One of my all time faves - Still satisfied to have it on tape.....If only cars still had tape players!

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

I Have an acetate of it, I bought it off Sam, He was playing it at Wigan When he sold a lot of his 60's stuff he had acetates made so he could still play some choons So this one has a bit of history The other side is the lover who loves you not!

DJ

Social source share

I'm totally with Ted, this fabulous tune clears dance floors quicker than one of JW's farts

I know, I've seen it happen, I suppose it depends who it's played to. I've also seen a packed floor to it - it definitely needs 'splicing' in though.

All the best,

Social source share

I know, I've seen it happen, I suppose it depends who it's played to. I've also seen a packed floor to it - it definitely needs 'splicing' in though.

All the best,

Albrighton and original Bretty no reaction im afraid. packed floor must have  been in Lens den 10 packs that floor :lol: sorry Len couldn't resist

Edited by Ted Massey
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Albrighton and original Bretty no reaction im afraid. packed floor must have  been in Lens den 10 packs that floor :lol: sorry Len couldn't resist

Yes mate, as hard as we try to be 'cutting edge' in 'The Den', we just can't seem to completely clear the floor, which is what it's all about!.....Brian Goucher being the worst in 'The Den', I've seen the dance floor absolutely packed in there to one of his sets - Calls himself a D.J........ :rofl:  :D 

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

well im with len on this one can remember when sam first played it would be around 78-79  bloody great record high time  the masses started dancing to sounds like this :thumbup:  :thumbup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

well im with len on this one can remember when sam first played it would be around 78-79  bloody great record high time  the masses started dancing to sounds like this :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Absolutely, I really enjoy dancing to this on the rare occasion that it is played out. We always used to ask Mick Smith to play it at The 100 Club - I don't think he ever did! Probably having a game with us.......or he daren't :rofl:  :D 

Ted, are you coming to Soul in the Bowl with Lou and Woody this Saturday mate? Or are you going straight to Rugby? A few from the South pop in 'en route', but you're from 'the other side'.

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

its great winning knowing your gonna get beat....all good fun!!

Mal

Enjoyed doing that many times, just to feel part of it on auction sites. Then there's been a couple of times I've been really shocked to win when I thought I was just playing along!

Social source share

Just see the final sale price $3,349.00 what the hell is going on with the prices and its only in vg condition

It's a good question mate. This record is one that has been on my wants list for years, and one that I haven't seen for sale very often over this time. How rare is it? Well no one really knows that about any record do they? But how ever many copies are 'out there', I think they are 'holders', as in people don't normally part with them.

Once you get passed £500.00 (or whatever) for a record, after that any price is amazing really, and to me (if I had the funds) I would pay a lot for this.

Pete, if you have one, I'll take it off your hands (as a favour) :D 

All the best,

Social source share

Yes mate, as hard as we try to be 'cutting edge' in 'The Den', we just can't seem to completely clear the floor, which is what it's all about!.....Brian Goucher being the worst in 'The Den', I've seen the dance floor absolutely packed in there to one of his sets - Calls himself a D.J........ :rofl:  :D 

All the best,

Len,

Your forgetting I did clear the floor to one tune in the Den, Freddie South "Set me free and let me love again" on King David, best record played all night me thinks. Other than that I know I let you down badly, they even danced to Eunice Collins "At the hotel", how rude! 

Gouch

Edited by Gouch
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

• 4 months later...

Years ago someone on SS cant remember who put Romona in touch with me she wanted a scan of her recording of you,ve been cheatin has she had,nt seen it I lost the mails years ago that she sent me when my hard drive crashed on the pc I had at the time but she told me the Story about the Label owner Otis Clark who was jailed quite a long stretch for some serious offences..

I've had a few copies over the years couple in the early 90 s think they came via Rod Shard and Dave Withers the copy I'm playing know is the one with the longer intro and it's one of the copies from Rod & Dave I will play it just for Ted the Tie at Prestayn to see if his dance moves have improved over the last decade lol

• Helpful 2
Social source share

All the best,

Butch played it at the last Lifeline, I had to ask John McClure what it was, fool that i am as I've got it on a CD. So at the November 100 Club I asked Butch about it, he told me that he'd had it for years, and if he had it in his box he'd play it. Fortunately he did, not that many on the dance floor for it, but I like to think that those of us out there showed their good taste. Kitch played it at the January Boomerang. Guess it's an acquired taste, as Ted says not that easy to dance to, but neither is United Sounds and plenty of others.

Social source share

What a record! ...I'm happy to dance whenever Arthur Fenn (or whoever else is lucky enough to own a copy) decides to pop it on. One of my all time faves - Still satisfied to have it on tape.....If only cars still had tape players!

All the best,

My cars still got a tape player, mind you the amount of tapes i've got it's a good job.

Mick Perrins

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Butch played it at the last Lifeline, I had to ask John McClure what it was, fool that i am as I've got it on a CD. So at the November 100 Club I asked Butch about it, he told me that he'd had it for years, and if he had it in his box he'd play it. Fortunately he did, not that many on the dance floor for it, but I like to think that those of us out there showed their good taste. Kitch played it at the January Boomerang. Guess it's an acquired taste, as Ted says not that easy to dance to, but neither is United Sounds and plenty of others.

Indeed he did - See post number 275 on this link (and a couple of Romona Collins comments after)

Not an acquired taste at all, and dead easy to dance to (in my 'humble' opinion of course)

Soul Sam, Arthur Fenn, Kitch, Butch, and others have had the record for many years - It's a cracker! :yes:

All the best,

P.s - In 'again' on a Sat night.....looking forward to Life-line.... :wink: 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

My cars still got a tape player, mind you the amount of tapes i've got it's a good job.

Mick Perrins

:D Unfortunately our last car (Theresa's Chrysler) ((c/w Tape Player)) blew up!....and now the whole family are running around in my works transit van (no tape player)....due to this damn recession! :yes:

We were just sorting boxes of tapes today actually, as we're 'defragging' the house (The kids are 'at the next stage').....So, look out for more of my 'Cover Ups' that simply got played for two weeks in the 80's, to be played as 'first time outs' in 'The Den'! :D 

All the best,

P.s - If, I find out what the f*ck they are called :excl:  

Social source share

......Are we listening to the same record? :D

"What a record!"

'Romona Collins - You've been cheating'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL0Cki3jPDU

I'd never heard this before and so when I got to a post with a clip in it I said to my dear wife "I'm just going to play a tune that went for over 3000 dollars on ebay". I started the clip and 30 seconds in she said "that's awful!" - and she is right, in fact it is a complete mess of a tune.

Tunes should bought with your ears not your wallet IMHO, but I know nothing about rare records. I hear things and am then usually disappointed when I find out how much a copy will cost me. I only played this because my taste in records is usually unerringly expensive, happily I'll never need a copy :-)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I sold mine a year ago another dance floor death record :yes: 

Well shame on the dance floor because it's a brilliant rare Northern Soul record!    The intro is tricky and maybe a bit off putting to dance to, but once it starts properly, it is a top notch item and great to dance to!

If the dance floor don't want records like this, I hope it isn't because they want that R&B/funky stuff with a dance beat!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

It's a new one on me this one, and I quite like it. Each to his own and all that. Intro's a bit dodgy but when it gets under way it's pretty groovy, nice tune etc... but 3 grand?!!!! If it was £25 I'd defo buy a copy  :)

Good for my soul to be hearing new (to my ears) tunes after a long break from the scene.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I'd never heard this before and so when I got to a post with a clip in it I said to my dear wife "I'm just going to play a tune that went for over 3000 dollars on ebay". I started the clip and 30 seconds in she said "that's awful!" - and she is right, in fact it is a complete mess of a tune.

Tunes should bought with your ears not your wallet IMHO, but I know nothing about rare records. I hear things and am then usually disappointed when I find out how much a copy will cost me. I only played this because my taste in records is usually unerringly expensive, happily I'll never need a copy :-)

Fair enough mate - You gave it a go.

I know exactly what you mean on the 'rare / expensive, so it must be good' bollox that 'clogs' up the Scene - Personally I fell in love with this record in the 80's off that beloved tape - I've never been influenced by price / rarity.......but, there's no denying that if you have a great record AND it's a bit exclusive, that does give it that 'bit of magic' in addition to the sound......There I've said it :D 

All the best,

P.s - Listen to it again (you're wrong you know)  :D .....Just kidding :wink: 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!