Just Watching Romona Collins Come Down To The Wire

Mal C

Well shame on the dance floor because it's a brilliant rare Northern Soul record!    The intro is tricky and maybe a bit off putting to dance to, but once it starts properly, it is a top notch item and great to dance to!

If the dance floor don't want records like this, I hope it isn't because they want that R&B/funky stuff with a dance beat!

I had the same thought - If some of the awful R 'n' B records that I have heard out are being played instead of records like this.....well, there's no helping us..... :wink: 

I.M.H.O - Lets keep it nice and friendly folks :thumbsup: 

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

P.s - 'Paultp' - I have to admit it does sound better over a big system, but I like the 'messiness' of it.....Let us know if you change your mind about it, as that would be interesting - Some records don't 'grab ya' straight away.

Social source share

It's a new one on me this one, and I quite like it.  :)

Good for my soul to be hearing new (to my ears) tunes after a long break from the scene.

Nice one - There's still plenty of tunes that people who have never had a break are yet to hear.....I can never understand when I read things like...."It's over, there's no more records to be discovered"......So to quote Phil T...."We have a 50 year back catalogue to choose from!".......There's plenty more enjoyment to get out of that little lot  :wink: 

All the best,

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Top sound

If I had it i would play it with pride 

(stuff the dance floor)

....In 'The Den' :D ......Ged it?....Pride......No? Oh ok.....that was a cheap 'plug' :wink: 

Dead right about the dance floor mate.....we are now managing to empty it most of the time.....well, up until Brian Goucher D.J's, and spoils everything.....when will he learn?! :rofl: 

All the best,

Social source share

Wow! started off like background music from Carry On Follow That Camel, but whaddaya know - quality soul ensues! Great! More please!

'Strange Intros' - That could be a good separate thread (It may have already been done)

All the best,

Social source share

Fair enough mate - You gave it a go.

I know exactly what you mean on the 'rare / expensive, so it must be good' bollox that 'clogs' up the Scene - Personally I fell in love with this record in the 80's off that beloved tape - I've never been influenced by price / rarity.......but, there's no denying that if you have a great record AND it's a bit exclusive, that does give it that 'bit of magic' in addition to the sound......There I've said it :D 

All the best,

P.s - Listen to it again (you're wrong you know)  :D .....Just kidding :wink: 

HAVING RE READ THE POST< THE FOLLOWING IS A GENERAL OBSERVATION WITH REGARD TO BUYING VINYL.

Not bothered listening to the track under discussion, (WHY SHOULD I  ??????,) IF you r going to buy music, LISTEN TO IT FIRST, just because every other 1/2 wit on what ever site you're looking at rates it, means absolutely bugger all from a personal view point. 

Critics pan films/musicals, whatever.........been to one or two shows the critics slagged..........................THOURGHLY ENJOYED THEM !!!!!......b*llocks to what everyone else thinks !!!!!!. :wicked:

I know Len well, we might not have the same tastes in Northern/Modern :D  BUT we BOTH have impeccable taste :g:.

Edited by pikeys dog
swearing - workplace filters
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I am a big fan of R&B but having heard this for the first time,I quite like it and can understand why it would be popular in some circles.As for the price,whilst it,s way beyond my resources,it appears to have found it,s own level via the auction.Personally,I would rather empty the dance floor with this than fill it with something like"Standing on solid ground"or Benny Troy! As they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

As Ian Cunliffe says, Rod Shard and Dave Withers at Wigan. Became a record I first loved late 8t's and was just as pleased to get given a tape back then with the 'intro' version kicking it off. One awesome record that is seldom heard but when I do, straight to the floor.

Social source share

Years ago someone on SS cant remember who put Romona in touch with me she wanted a scan of her recording of you,ve been cheatin has she had,nt seen it I lost the mails years ago that she sent me when my hard drive crashed on the pc I had at the time but she told me the Story about the Label owner Otis Clark who was jailed quite a long stretch for some serious offences..

I've had a few copies over the years couple in the early 90 s think they came via Rod Shard and Dave Withers the copy I'm playing know is the one with the longer intro and it's one of the copies from Rod & Dave I will play it just for Ted the Tie at Prestayn to see if his dance moves have improved over the last decade lol

Social source share

As Ian Cunliffe says, Rod Shard and Dave Withers at Wigan. Became a record I first loved late 8t's and was just as pleased to get given a tape back then with the 'intro' version kicking it off. One awesome record that is seldom heard but when I do, straight to the floor.

'ditto'......Mind you - I can now 'officially declare' it as a floor packer - Thanks to Butch doing the business with it again at Life-line last Saturday :wink: 

'You're welcome' btw  :rofl::D lol

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!