Paypal - Friends Or Gift

Peter99

I'm probably being picky here and it may have been done before- but hey ho.

When sellers advertise a record at a certain price and then specify Paypal payment by gift are they not advertising the record at the wrong price? Should they not include buyers Paypal fees in the advertised price?

:g:

Peter

Social source share

They can always put "if paying by paypal there will be an additional 3% charge if not sent as gift".  I don't even mention it anymore, most people send it as a gift without me having to ask, if they don't want to then that's fine.

Yep, thats a good answer Pete - everyone knows your a good/fair seller. You did a good deal for me this week without me even asking.

I've only recently started buying again - never used paypal before so I might not quite get it. But when you chose the "gift or friends" option doesn't that switch paypal fees from seller to buyer? It doesn't become a fee free transaction does it? Does that make sense?

Apologies - as you know i'm not the brightest spark around in terms of stuff like this.

:huh:

P

Edited by Peter99
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

There may also be some charge for foreign exchange transactions, when I’ve tried to pay for something in Yen, PayPal wouldn’t allow a F/F payment without incurring a charge even thought my PayPal is linked to my bank account. I can’t remember if this happened for Dollar or Euro payments.

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

Yep, thats a good answer Pete - everyone knows your a good/fair seller. You did a good deal for me this week without me even asking.

I've only recently started buying again - never used paypal before so I might not quite get it. But when you chose the "gift or friends" option doesn't that switch paypal fees from seller to buyer? It doesn't become a fee free transaction does it? Does that make sense?

Apologies - as you know i'm not the brightest spark around in terms of stuff like this.

:huh:

P

If you have funds in your account, theres no charges for either party

Social source share

It looks from here as if if the money is in your PP a/c it's fee free, any other options CC, Debit etc someone gets to pay.

Also from here the fee internationally is closer to 5% which, while not a huge deal, does add up over a year.

The main issue I have with regular PP is- 99.9% of deals go through without a hitch.
If for whatever reason something goes pear shaped, as two reasonable people we should be able to work anything out sensibly, to our mutual satisfaction, or dissatisfaction as the case may be. Share the load.
If PP get involved, which they won't if it's a gift, life gets complicated. If there is Mom, or in this case a couldn't care less, jobsworth call center worker, involved.
If one or other party is unreasonable then it gets to be a real headache.
Same applies to EBay transactions, shouldn't take long to find a few on here where a 3rd party getting involved added 200% to the grief.

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL ...If there is one thing to get my goat, it's the nonchalant attitude of eBay sellers, with their demands like "if you leave 100% feedback, I will do the same back" What's that all about, and then there's the PayPal rip off "send payment as a gift" this is  a rip off big time,

As a quick payer, it amazes the times I have been asked that I should of stated gift, why I am paying for a item that I have won, and that is all you should pay, it's a joke, then the seller has the gal to charge inflated P&P. :rofl: DAVE K

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest julesp1905

Gift payments are for family and friends, you wouldn't give a stranger cash in the street and expect them to post something to you, paypal is no different

Social source share

I always request as a gift. Saves me fees and means no additional extra to my asking price. It's not a rip off, it's a win-win for both.

I think the fees are more applicable to regular ebay sellers as they tend sell on the site, more as a business/extra income.

I'm merely selling odds and sods from a personal record collection to people I generally know.

Social source share

:wink: I've said it before -

Requesting or making a GIFT payment when it's not for a gift but is for goods and/or services is against Paypal/Ebay rules and this misuse can cause you to have the whole paypal facility made unavailable to you. :yes:

It's buried somewhere in their Terms & Conditions, and apparently they actively seek out those abusing the process.

That said, I know many people use/expect to be gifted al the time and have flown under the radar for years and never had a problem.

The choice is yours, but it galls me when sellers demand a gift payment.

:hatsoff2: - Kev

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!