The Greatest Male And Female Vocalists (In Your Opinion)

Guest Soulsurfer

Guest Soulsurfer

The simplest premise, who are your top two (or three, we'll have no fighting here) male and female vocalists of all time? There is no such thing as a wrong answer!!!

Male

Chuck Jackson 

Frank Beverly

Female

Dee Dee Sharp

Thelma Houston

Go!

Social source share

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 22
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest Juniorsoul

The simplest premise, who are your top two (or three, we'll have no fighting here) male and female vocalists of all time? There is no such thing as a wrong answer!!!

Male

Chuck Jackson 

Frank Beverly

Female

Dee Dee Sharp

Thelma Houston

Go!

Frankie Valli.

Social source share

I CAN'T pick just one of each!

Male:  Ray Pollard, Nat Cole, Rudy West, Sollie McElroy, Richard Street, Sonny Til, Jackie Wilson, Eugene Pitt, Garnett Mimms

Female: Dee Dee Warwick, Baby Washington, Sarah Vaughn, Carolyn Crawford, Darlene Love, Gloria Lynne

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Near impossible to answer. For me soul has never been how "nice" a voice is but how a voice gets the lyrics and feeling over. 

So off the top of my head without thinking about it too much, and sorry I can't break it down to just two or three

O.V. Wright

James Carr

Otis Clay

Otis Redding

Wilson Pickett

Nice smooth, natural and effortless voices

Jerry Butler

Levi Stubbs

David Ruffin

Joe Simon

Linda Jones

Aretha Franklin

Ella Washington

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

Marvin Gaye

David Ruffin

Teddy Pendergass.           

whitney Houston

Dusty Springfield

Aretha Franklin.

Social source share

so hard to narrow it down to a couple of singers as there has been so many ,i narrow it down to someone who can do all the styles of music while still having a soulful feel to the song im going for  ETTA JAMES & DAVID RUFFIN , thats not taking away from anyone;s chojces as in the past 50/60 years we on this forum have been spoiled to have lived in an era where there was so many quality singers  that so many slipped through the cracks and never got to be major stars it has taken the soul detectives to discover that cult artist and bring it to our attention and we say to ourselves how was he/she not a huge star ,thats why look at everyones choices and nod my head and say good call . :hatsoff2: 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!