Two Versions Of Soul Incorporated "what Goes Up" / Boo Label?

boba
Go to solution Solved by Phil Shields,

So the soul inc. 45 on emblem is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKrY4MjYUw4

from the thread about the goldmine soul supply LPs, on one of the LPs is a track crediting "Soul Incorporated" and says "a Boo recording" (which is not mentioned on the emblem 45 label in any way) and references a producer who is not mentioned on the emblem 45 label. Apparently, there is actually a *very* different version released on the Goldmine soul supply LP, which is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzckRhmnesA

does anyone know the source of the version that appears on the Goldmine soul supply LP? Was there some beach LP that had it? I can't imagine there was a 45 on a "Boo" label by Soul Incorporated that had this track, or if so, it must be ultra rare because I haven't seen a reference to it, picture of it, etc. in ~20 years of collecting. If there is a 45, would love to see a scan. Thanks in advance for help.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• Replies 19
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

The Soul Incorporated band who does this song were NOT from Louisville, the Louisville group did not record the live LP in question either.

According to the LP cover the Cellar seems have been in Charlotte, NC

The LP uses the Emblem logo that's shown on the Charms Unlimited.

Edited by George G
Social source share

ok now i'm confused. there are 3 recordings in question:

1) soul inc. on emblem

2) charms unlimited on emblem

3) soul inc. off of that Live LP

is the soul inc on emblem the same recording that's on the live LP? And the Charms Unlimited is what was actually used on the Goldmine Soul Supply comp and is the second youtube clip? And there is nothing "Boo" related, right? And the Charms Unlimited is a different group probably?

Social source share

The Soul Incorporated band who does this song were NOT from Louisville, the Louisville group did not record the live LP in question either.

According to the LP cover the Cellar seems have been in Charlotte, NC

The LP uses the Emblem logo that's shown on the Charms Unlimited.

Edited by Windlesoul
Social source share

As a totally off topic aside, the Cellar is indeed in Charlotte, possibly the last old brick building(boarded up now) in the middle of what is now a city centre of glass and skyscrapers. Just about every decent beach band from NC played there in the sixties....took us a while to find it though...me and Nat Speir, founder of Bob Meyer and the Rivieras (who also played there), finally found it tucked away next to a parking lot. From what we can work out this was the front entrance...

post-14816-0-12610500-1379015626_thumb.j

Edited by Windlesoul
Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

ok now i'm confused. there are 3 recordings in question:

1) soul inc. on emblem

2) charms unlimited on emblem

3) soul inc. off of that Live LP

is the soul inc on emblem the same recording that's on the live LP? And the Charms Unlimited is what was actually used on the Goldmine Soul Supply comp and is the second youtube clip? And there is nothing "Boo" related, right? And the Charms Unlimited is a different group probably?

Hiya Bob

Ive got a copy of the yellow 45 on emblem, Soul Inc, The other side is produced by Moses Dillard if my memory serves (not indoors at the min)

Ill stick it on sound cloud or something when I get in if you need to hear that version, pm me

It says recorded live at the cellar, but ive always thought it is so well produced for a 60s record, always had my doubts that it was a live recording. 

plus no crowd noise.....

but I have never heard the lp.

I have always loved the 45, great harmonies, a bit mod, a bit northern, right up my street.

Social source share

Just ripping some CD's to the computer and this is on the very first CD Soul Supply did (1988) "Rare Soul on CD Volume 1".

The brief sleeve notes says 

The Soul Incorporated, on a rare "Boo" outing from Charlotte, N. Carolina.  Man, this is rare.  This is not really a beach tune, but it's a goodie all the same.  Sharp, businesslike, all the hallmarks.

I got rid of any Soul Supply LP's I had in the earlyish 90's but I presume this is the same as the one on the LP?  It sounds like the one in the second video Bob posted.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!