Annis - Don't Play Your Games

Peter99

Think this is in the right place.

Anyway, just bagged a copy of Annis - Don't Play Your Games - been looking for one for ages.

I can't find a youtube clip and want to post it on the Record of the Day thread. Anyone got a sounclip/vid.

Thanks

Peter

:thumbsup:

PS - not capable of putting one up mesen. :rolleyes:

Edited by Peter99
Social source share

Now heard it Peter, and it's WORSE than I remember it. Utter shite. 

Wasn't this part of the anti-rare "It's less than £1 it must be good" fight back that some of the modern scene "toads" were championing in the 80's?

:lol:

Steve :hatsoff2:

I liked dancing to it back in the early 80's and it's a nostalgia record.

It's quite obvious that I'm the only one who likes it. There are records far worse than this around though.

P

Edited by Peter99
Social source share

Im  on your side Peter :thumbsup:

Cheers Simon :D

Gonna stick the vinyl on my deck and blast it out later on - it'll sound even better when I've had a few. It'll take me right back to Crofty's After Dark niters at Cleggy - courtesy of Mr Hampsey if my memory serves me correctly. I'm not certain that Sean has it down as one of his better spins - but, as we've both said it's a great dance record, and it has it's place in time.

Peter

Edited by Peter99
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Yep - You're all right... but also slightly wrong.

Steve Croft and I had a 'shared' box of tunes that we were working on each weekend (at Cleethorpes, Bradford etc.). We figured that sharing certain 'new' records would get them played more often and we could 'break' them quicker.

This was one of Steve's 'discoveries'. I didn't like it at all (thought it waaaay too poppy) and we argued for quite a while about it as a consequence. But, in the end, I was forced to use it, trading it against him playing my Ronnie Dyson 'Lady In Red' (which in retrospect probably wasn't an awful lot better, lol).

I think, for at least a few months, Annis was by far the most popular record at the time, but 'Lady In Red' did prove to have more legs over the much longer term and did at least go on to earn the prestigious merit of getting 'bootlegged' :wicked:

Steve never was one for measuring a record's 'soulfulness' - it was all about the BPM for him - but it never stopped him filling dancefloors and at that time, early 80's, that was always what seemed to matter most.

Sean

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Yep - You're all right... but also slightly wrong.

Steve Croft and I had a 'shared' box of tunes that we were working on each weekend (at Cleethorpes, Bradford etc.). We figured that sharing certain 'new' records would get them played more often and we could 'break' them quicker.

This was one of Steve's 'discoveries'. I didn't like it at all (thought it waaaay too poppy) and we argued for quite a while about it as a consequence. But, in the end, I was forced to use it, trading it against him playing my Ronnie Dyson 'Lady In Red' (which in retrospect probably wasn't an awful lot better, lol).

I think, for at least a few months, Annis was by far the most popular record at the time, but 'Lady In Red' did prove to have more legs over the much longer term and did at least go on to earn the prestigious merit of getting 'bootlegged' :wicked:

Steve never was one for measuring a record's 'soulfulness' - it was all about the BPM for him - but it never stopped him filling dancefloors and at that time, early 80's, that was always what seemed to matter most.

Sean

What records did you put in the box Sean?

who put in "Jesse Henderson"   'Pick up the phone'?

Edited by simon t
Social source share

On 14/09/2013 at 02:07, simon t said:

What records did you put in the box Sean?

Good question Simon.

Have thought for a while I really ought to do a list...

Will add them as I remember, but these are the first that spring to mind, as late as it is :0)

Dramatics - I Can't Stand It - Capitol (I'd always bought the Dramatics records. And though this was a departure from the stuff they were known for it became the epitome of the Clifton / Cleggy 'modern' stomper).

Bobby Patterson - I'm In Love With You - Action (Thought if Poke's 'Lester Thomkins' good gain acceptance this could too!)

Brothers Guiding Light - Getting Together - Mercury (Had played it since early 70's, long before the N. Soul scene was ready - but when Larry Houston 'Let's Spend Some Time Together' went big it reminded me of this. It had never really left my playbox so I dug it out and thankfully they loved it)

High Fashion - Hold On - Capitol (supplied by the ever reliable Mick Godfrey as was the next 45...)

Skip Mahoney - Running From My Love - Abet (Mick sold it, I played it, instant smash)

Rhonda Davis - Can You Remember - Duke  (I covered as 'Ann Sexton' for quite a while)

Darrell Banks - I'm The One Who Loves You - Stax (Before the end of Wigan, no allnighter would have touched this with a barge pole. It was the Darrell Banks record that collectors 'didn't want' but I flipped it over, loved it and found that Clifton / Cleggy was the perfect environment). Now seen as a 'crossover' classic 😉

Stairsteps - I'm The One Who Loves You - UK Buddah LP (Not the Darrell Banks song above but the Curtis Mayfield / Impressions song superbly performed in this album only version I used to play from the UK album). Steve Mannion always appreciated me playing this. A man of great taste!

Ronnie Dyson - Lady In Red - Columbia (cost me 35p off Lincoln Market - Talked Crofty into letting me put it into the box and it became a Monster!)

Donnie Gerard - He's Always Somewhere Around - Greedy (I covered as Milt Matthews cos it reminded me of his vocal style on 'All These Changes')

Detroit Spinners - I'll Be Around - Atlantic (Mr Searling had Doug Parkinson, so I thought I'd dig out the 'Pop - Hit' version). Took some stick at the time but its now an evergreen!

LTD - You Must Have Known I Needed Love - A&M

LTD - You Come First at Last - A&M (Heard Pat Brady play James Galyn one night at Clifton so was chuffed I had this version on LP - although neither version did much)

Joe Simon - Love Look At Us Now - Posse (was never afraid of playing LP tracks at the time. Made good use of that format)

Eddie Kendricks - You Can't Stop My Love - Atlantic (reminded me of Gary Glenn so thought it worth a shot... but it really didn't do much. Shame as I thought it had real potential. Had it been on an obscure label... who knows!)

Coke Escovedo - I Wouldn't Change A Thing' - Mercury (naivety had me cover this as Johnny Bristol, because he'd written it, but I didnt realise at the time, he'd also recorded it. Another that went big for me at the time and, pleased to say, has endured)

Lew Kirton - Heaven In The Afternoon - Alston (Picked this up at a Record Fair for pennies. Took a lot to get it going. Then one night at Clifton Steve G. told me he'd heard 'my Lew Kirton' played elsewhere the week before... and I knew I had a monster on my hands!!) Still took another few months in all honesty and these days I can hardly listen to it, but it is certainly an acknowledged classic of the time.

Whispers - Gonna Love You More - Solar  (I covered this as 'Leon (Sylvers) & The Whispers... just for the craic! - thankfully it was superbly received! -  But the irony, I played a ten bob LP track covered up for several months and, years later, it transpires the track is actually an incredibly scarce 45)

Stargard - I'll Always Love You - MCA (Great track. Hammered it, but it never really took off. Shame. Very soulful record).

Shirley Brown - Crowding on My Mind - Stax (Perfect pace for Cleggy and fabulous vocals)

Gene Page - Love Starts After Dark - Arista (Brought to me to craft into an 'After Dark' anthem by the lovely Richard Broughton)

Cut Glass - Alive With Love - 20th Century (Flipped over the DISCO tune 'Without Your Love' and found a surefire winner for Cleggy!)

Detroit Spinners - Cant Shake This Feeling - Atlantic (Theres a story here...) Actually, quite a scarce record it would seem...

Spencer Wiggins - Take Time To Love Your Woman - Sounds Of Memphis (Thought if Wilson Pickett 'How Will I Ever Know' could make it, this southern midtempo growler could do likewise - how wrong I was... Took me a good while to get off the ground, but very pleased I made the effort)

Ujima - I'm Not Ready - Epic (Had been a brief Mecca spin, but Nighters ignored it in '75 - At Clifton & Cleggy I felt its time had come... and I was right!)

Silk - Call Me - RCA (Never did much...)

Norman Connors - Take It To The Limit - Arista (I bought from Alex Denham and broke at Clifton Hall. Went huge - and then everyone (including Richard) started playing it. Became a Clifton Anthem)

Eddie Billups - Shake Off That Dream - 77 (another brief Mecca spin that hadn't seen 'Nighter' action until Clifton / Cleggy)

Bill Harris - Am I Cold Am I Hot - RCA (Bought and played this as another new release. Had been another Mecca tune that hadn't made the N. Soul Nighter scene. Was surprised to find that fellow Cleggy DJ Chris Dalton also had it in his playbox one night so the two of us commited to make it a monster, (which it surely wasn't until then) and by hook and by crook we did!

Stanley Clarke - Straight To The Top - Epic - Straight off the release sheets a brand new release that the crowd took to immediately.

Grey & Hanks - Love's In Command - RCA

Inner Life - Caught Up In A One Night Love Affair - Prelude

Walter Jenkins - Back In My Life - Fader Kat (Fingersnapper that worked really well for me at Rotherham Windmill but was a floor clearer at the nighter!)

Debbie Taylor - Just Don't Pay - Arista (I'd bought some years earlier for the flipside, but thought this side had that 'Independent Woman' feel so I played 'em back to back. Another that took an age to get of the ground, but persistance pays with records of this quality)

Alvarez - Sooner Or Later - Polydor

Purple Mundi - Stop Hurting Me Baby - Cat (folk said this was too slow for Cleggy, but it did gain quite a following)

Jerry Jackson - It's Rough Out There (a 'collectors' record I bought from my old friend Matchie for a quid in 1975. A UK Cameo Parkway record that nobody was interested in, because of the tempo. I played the pants off it and cleared dancefloors for many years until it eventually broke through for me at the Windmill and Clifton Hall in Rotherham.

Family Circle - I Hope You Really Love Me - Sky Disc

Ruby Wilson - The Feelings Still There - Malaco

Lorraine Johnson - The More I Get The More I Want - Prelude

Terry Callier - Ordinary Joe - Elektra LP

Al Johnson - School Of The Groove - Columbia

Whispers - I Got A Feeling - Soul Train

GQ - Make My Dreams A Reality - Arista

Bill Williams - Things Will Be Better Tomorrow - WCM

Samona Cooke - Subway - Epic

Jerri Richard - Goin' Away - Royal Shield

Don Gardner - We're Gonna Make It Big - Master Five

Tommy Rodgers - I'll Tell It To The Wind - AJP

Jackie Moore - Do Ya Got What it Takes - CBS

Creative Source - You're Too Good To Be True - Sussex (Bobby Miller C/U)

Jack Montgomery - Dear Beloved - Scepter

Minnie Jones - Shadow Of A Memory - Sugar

Mel & Tim - I May Not Be What You Want - Stax

Quotations - I Don't Have To Worry - DiVenus

Dynamics - You'll Never Find A Man Like Me - Black Gold (LP track)

Three Degrees - Lonely Town - Roulette (later to be 'discovered' by Tammi Terrell)

Chosen Few - Birth Of A Playboy - Canyon (Rex Garvin C/U)

Larry Davis - The Magic Is Gone - Decca (Sunny & The Sunliners C/U)

Jimmy Ellis - Puttin It On Your Mind - Salem (Roscoe Shelron C/U)

Masqueraders - I Aint Gonna Stop - AGP (Mel Britt C/U)

Derek Martin - If You Go - Sue (George Blackwell C/U)

Otis Clay - Show Place - One-Der-Ful (Jimmy Burns C/U)

Cole Bros - Make Yourself Ready - Jamie (Cecil Washington C/U)

Brainstorm - We're On Our way Home - Tabu (What I always thought was a very fitting ender)

They're the first few that come top of brain.

Plus I always shared with Steve loads of the stuff we all (Clifton & Cleggy DJ's) seemed to be playing and had a hand in promoting at the time; Most he would never have bought himself, the tight old begger, lol

Quick list comes to mind:

Luckey Davis - Its Not Where You Start - Highland

Jay W McGee - Over & Over - Scorpio LP

Niteflyte - All About Love - Ariola

Charles Johnson - Never Had A Love So Good - Alston

Otis Clay - The Only Way Is Up - Echo

Charles Sherrel - Things That You Do For Love - Muscle

Jan Jones - Independent Woman - Daywood

Johnny Scott - Let Me Be A Winner - Portra

Greg Perry - It Takes Heart - Alfa

Johnny Bristol - Love No Longer Has A Hold On Me - Handshake

Keni Burke - Let Somebody Love You - RCA

Tony Fox - Love Let Loved - Blaster

Pretenders - Just Be Yourself - Carnival

Willie Darrington - Never Should Have Walked Away - Rav

Sharon Henderson - Inside Of Me - Melody World

Mighty Fire - Sweet Fire - A&M (sooooo rare on 45)

Bobby King - If You Don't Want My Love - WB

Patches - I'm Gonna Make This World a Better Place - Phax

Reuben Howell - Can't Stop A Man In Love - Motown

OT Sykes - Stone Crush - Fun City

High Frequency - Summertime - NIA

Cheryl Berdell - Giving It All To You - EMT

Charles Mann - Sho Nuff - LA

Revelation - Feel It - Handshake

ZZ & CO - Getting Ready For The Get Down - Columbus

Larry Brown - Breaking Training - Fireworks

Dee Edwards - Once You Give It Up - Morning Glory

Bileo - You Can Win - MTU Watts City

Rideout - Someone Special

Dustin Wilson - Have Some Sympathy - Judas

Atlantic Starr - Circles - A&M

Bobby Womack - So Many Sides Of You - Motown

Sunfire - Step In The Light - Capitol

Phillip Mitchell - I'm So Happy - Atlantic

Jewel - Paradise - Jewel Productions

Billy Nichols - Diamond Ring - West End

George Jackson - A Little Extra Stroke - Happy Hooker

Charles Mann - Sho Nuff No Funny Stuff Love - LA

Dells - Your Song - 20th Century etc.

Most of those were huge, with a number of DJ's playing 'em.

For Steves part he came up with these to share:

Cognac - How High

Finished Touch - The Down Sound - Motown

Billy Preston & Syreeta  - Go For It - Motown

Mandrill - My Kind Of Girl - Arista

Rufus - Any Love - MCA

Annis - Don't Play Your Games - GTO

Gil Scott Heron - Lady Day & John Coltrane - Flying Dutchman

Moment Of Truth - Loving You Is Killing Me - Salsoul

Kelly Garrett - Love Is The Only Answer - Smash

...amongst others...... that I will add as they come to mind.

Interesting times with a fairly rapid turnover of tunes. The whole period, post-Wigan / pre-Stafford seems so poorly represented and largely undocumented 30 + years on. I think that Steve Croft and Alan Senior (and the DJ's that worked for them, lol) kept it all together during those years, creating the environment for other 'open minded' venues (Morecambe etc) to come along in the wake.

Hope a few more tracks will come to me in the night... The old Grey Matter aint what it was, but I need some sleep :0)

Wonder if Steve has a copy of the few reviews I did at the time in his wonderful Blackbeat mag? Might fill in a few gaps.

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Good question Simon.

Have thought for a while I really ought to do a list...

Will add them as I remember, but these are the first that spring to mind, as late as it is :0)

Dramatics - I Can't Stand It - Capitol (The epitome of the Clifton / Cleggy 'modern' stomper)

Bobby Patterson - I'm In Love With You - Action (Thought if Poke's 'Lester Thomkins' good gain acceptance this could too!)

Brothers Guiding Light - Getting Together - Mercury (Had played it since early 70's, long before the N. Soul scene was ready - but when Larry Houston 'Let's Spend Some Time Together' went big it reminded me of this, so I dug it out and thankfully they loved it)

High Fashion - Hold On - Capitol (supplied by the ever reliable Mick Godfrey as was the next 45...)

Skip Mahoney - Running From My Love - Abet (Mick sold it, I played it, instant smash)

Rhonda Davis - Can You Remember - Duke  (I covered as 'Ann Sexton' for quite a while)

Darrell Banks - I'm The One - Stax (Before the end of Wigan, no allnighter would have touched this with a barge pole, but Clifton / Cleggy was the perfect environment)

Ronnie Dyson - Lady In Red - Columbia (cost me 35p off Lincoln Market)

Donnie Gerard - He's Always Somewhere Around - Greedy (I covered as Milt Matthews cos it reminded me of his vocal style on 'All These Changes')

Detroit Spinners - I'll Be Around - Atlantic (Mr Searling had Doug Parkinson, so I thought I'd dig out the 'Pop - Hit' version). Took some stick at the time but its now an evergreen!

LTD - You Must Have Known I Needed Love - A&M

LTD - You Come First at Last - A&M (Heard Pat Brady play James Galyn one night at Clifton so was chuffed I had this version on LP - although neither version did much)

Joe Simon - Love Look At Us Now - Posse (was never afraid of playing LP tracks at the time. Made good use of that format)

Eddie Kendricks - You Can't Stop My Love - Atlantic (reminded me of Gary Glenn so thought it worth a shot!)

Coke Escovedo - I Wouldn't Change A Thing' - Mercury (naivety had me cover this as Johnny Bristol, because he'd written it, but I didnt realise at the time, he'd also recorded it...)

Lew Kirton - Heaven In The Afternoon - Alston (Picked this up at a Record Fair for pennies. Took a lot to get it going. Then one night at Clifton Steve G. told me he'd heard 'my Lew Kirton' played elsewhere the week before... and I knew I had a monster on my hands!!) Still took another few months in all honesty and these days i can hardly listen to it, but it is certainly an acknowledged classic of the time.

Whispers - Gonna Love You More - Solar  (I covered this as 'Leon (Sylvers) & The Whispers... just for the craic! - thankfully it was superbly received! -  But the irony, I played a ten bob LP track covered up for several months and, years later, it transpires the track is actually an incredibly scarce 45)

Stargard - I'll Always Love You - MCA (Great track. Hammered it, but it never really took off. Shame. Very soulful record).

Shirley Brown - Crowding on My Mind - Stax (Perfect pace for Cleggy and fabulous vocals)

Gene Page - Love Starts After Dark - Arista (Brought to me to craft into an 'After Dark' anthem by the lovely Richard Broughton)

Cut Glass - Alive With Love - 20th Century (Flipped over the DISCO tune 'Alive with Love' and found a surefire winner for Cleggy)

Detroit Spinners - Cant Shake This Feeling - Atlantic (Theres a story here...) Actually, quite a scarce record it would seem...

Spencer Wiggins - Take Time To Love Your Woman - Sounds Of Memphis (Thought if Wilson Pickett 'How Will I Ever Know' could make it, this southern midtempo growler could do likewise - how wrong I was...)

Ujima - I'm Not Ready - Epic (Had been a brief Mecca spin, but Nighters ignored it in '75 - At Clifton & Cleggy I felt its time had come)

Norman Connors - Take It To The Limit - Arista (I bought from Alex Denham and broke at Clifton Hall. Went huge - and then everyone (including Richard) started playing it. Became a Clifton Anthem)

Eddie Billups - Shake Off That Dream - 77 (another brief Mecca spin that hadn't seen 'Nighter' action until Clifton / Cleggy)

Bill Harris - Am I Cold Am I Hot - RCA (Bought and played this as another new release. Had been another Mecca tune that hadn't made the N. Soul Nighter scene. Was surprised to find that fellow Cleggy DJ Chris Dalton also had it in his playbox one night so the two of us commited to make it a monster, (which it surely wasn't until then) and by hook and by crook we did!

Ruby Wilson - The Feelings Still There - Malaco

Lorraine Johnson - The More I Get The More I Want - Prelude

Al Johnson - School Of The Groove - Columbia

Whispers - I Got A Feeling - Soul Train

Bill Williams - Things Will Be Better Tomorrow - WCM

Samona Cooke - Subway - Epic

Sherri Richards - Goin' Away - Shield

Brainstorm - We're On Our way Home - Tabu (What I always thought was a very fitting ender)

They're the first few that come top of brain.

Plus I always shared with Steve loads of the stuff we all (Clifton & Cleggy DJ's) seemed to be playing and had a hand in promoting at the time; Most he would never have bought himself, the tight old begger, lol

Quick list comes to mind:

Luckey Davis - Its Not Where You Start - Highland

Charles Johnson - Never Had A Love So Good - Alston

Otis Clay - The Only Way Is Up - Echo

Charles Sherrel - Things That You Do For Love - Muscle

Jan Jones - Independent Woman - Daywood

Johnny Scott - Let Me Be A Winner - Portra

Greg Perry - It Takes Heart - Alfa

Johnny Bristol - Love No Longer Has A Hold On Me - Handshake

Keni Burke - Let Somebody Love You - RCA

Tony Fox - Love Let Loved - Blaster

Mighty Fire - Sweet Fire - Blaster

OT Sykes - Stone Crush - Fun City

High Frequency - Summertime - NIA

Cheryl Berdell - Giving It All To You - EMT

ZZ & CO - Getting Ready For The Get Down - Columbus

Larry Brown - Breaking Training - Fireworks

Dee Edwards - Once You Give It Up - Morning Glory

Bileo - You Can Win - MTU Watts City

Rideout - Someone Special

Dustin Wilson - Have Some Sympathy - Judas

Atlantic Starr - Circles - A&M

Bobby Womack - So Many Sides Of You - Motown

Phillip Mitchell - I'm So Happy - Atlantic

Jewel - Paradise - Jewel Productions

Dells - Your Song - 20th Century etc.

Most of those were huge, with a number of DJ's playing 'em.

For Steves part he came up with:

Cognac - How High

Finished Touch - The Down Sound - Motown

Billy Preston & Syreeta  - Go For It - Motown

Mandrill - My Kind Of Girl - Arista

Rufus - Any Love - MCA

Annis - Don't Play Your Games - GTO

Gil Scott Heron - Lady Day & John Coltrane - Flying Dutchman

Kelly Garrett - Love Is The Only Answer - Smash

...amongst others......

Interesting times with a fairly rapid turnover of tunes. The whole period, post-Wigan / pre-Stafford seems so poorly represented and largely undocumented 30 + years on. I think that Steve Croft and Alan Senior (and the DJ's that worked for them, lol) kept it all together during those years, creating the environment for other 'open minded' venues (Morecambe etc) to come along in the wake.

Hope a few more tracks will come to me in the night... The old Grey Matter aint what it was, but I need some sleep :0)

Wonder if Steve has a copy of the few reviews I did at the time in his wonderful Blackbeat mag? Might fill in a few gaps.

Sean

Nice post brought some memories back......:thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Clifton Hall and Cleethorpes ran alongside Stafford didn't it until it ended (I know they started before Stafford ) But for the time Sean was DJing as a resident they ran alngside each other didnt they? When year did Clifton Hall finish?

Anyway Annis isn't very good is it :)

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!