Al Hughes - Take It Or Leave It (Scope)

Premium Stuff

Hi folks

Anyone tell me anything about Al Hughes and his recording of "Take It Or Leave It" on Scope records out of Detroit please?

Lovely looking label.

Any info about the history of the record on the rare soul scene - when it was played, who played it etc.?

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

File under: Crunching old style Detroit thumper.

Seem to think I got my copy sometime during the eighties or nineties for next to nothing (as you did then).

Always felt it was a great collectors item but missing something just a little bit extra to elevate it higher.

Good but sadly just quite not good enough perhaps it was too simple and basic?

Played it out a few times to complete blank indifference.

Having said that I can't recall ever hearing it played out anywhere to be honest?

And like you say what a great looking label eh.

Eventually flogged my copy to Derby George aka Garlic George at one of those Black Music record fairs in Manchester 'bout 10 years ago.

Derek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbWr0uJI7eo

Edited by Derek Pearson
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

i had it on an auction tape frpm john manship about 1990...he did them briefly back then...it went for £40 i think..... always been rare imho but never got past being more than a detroit collectors piece

some say its the same as the satisfactions on smash.........i say it isnt

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

some say its the same as the satisfactions on smash.........i say it isnt

Thanks for all the comments guys - interesting stuff.

It's a record I like more every time I hear it - bit of a grower. But I agree it's fairly basic and lacking a magic ingredient to set it apart from more sophisticated recordings.

Agree with you Dave - it's definitely not the same tune or lyrics as the Satisfactions on Smash.

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Boys!!

I banged the arse of this in the early 9ts at the 100club allnighters and various London clubs, i remember playing it when i got it from butch for a ton and the only person on the dancefloor doing his little swagger was was Guy Hennigan. Great record and always been played in London, Alan h. has now got my copy and still plays it. Value £250ish nowadays, top tune and very underrated.

Greg

Social source share

Thanks for all the comments guys  :thumbsup: 

So the record has a bit of serious history courtesy of our brothers down south - who have excellent taste  :D 

But it has yet to catch on up north - boooooo!

Just been bopping around to this one in my kitchen and I think it is seriously, seriously, seriously misunderstood - and like me it should get out more  :thumbsup: 

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

first heard this on a tape off Mark Baulch(Polo) from Worcester,1974/5 among other things on the tape were Pat Lewis-No one to love,Hettie Winston-When this battle is over, Hugo Montenegro-in the jungle babe.

Still have the tape must dig it out and play it again,

Polo was an inspiration in my early days , he had a great ear for sounds,the fact that he was mates with John Farrell seemed to help :thumbsup: one of those types who when asked if he knew such and such"think i´ve got that in the shed" answer comes to mind.

Also a right(off it )charachter in his days :thumbup:

Steve

Maybe a new topic ?  Old unknown tapes :rofl:

One track I'd love to hear Hattie Winston - "When the battle is over" heard from others it's a great track but I've also heard its a one off Acetate Steve, that i'll probably never hear unless someone can tell me who's playing it out :unsure:

Kirsty

Social source share

File under: Crunching old style Detroit thumper.

Seem to think I got my copy sometime during the eighties or nineties for next to nothing (as you did then).

Always felt it was a great collectors item but missing something just a little bit extra to elevate it higher.

Good but sadly just quite not good enough perhaps it was too simple and basic?

Played it out a few times to complete blank indifference.

Having said that I can't recall ever hearing it played out anywhere to be honest?

And like you say what a great looking label eh.

Eventually flogged my copy to Derby George aka Garlic George at one of those Black Music record fairs in Manchester 'bout 10 years ago.

Derek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbWr0uJI7eo

What a great looking 45, even if the track isn't up to your music taste then WOW, it'll be great on hung on the wall lol

Social source share

Long story which i believe to be correct? Polo found disc in Worcester,went to Pat Brady when he sold up then it either went missing?(don´t recall Pat playing it) then it arrived at Dave Thorley who played it quite a bit at Stafford.I think (help me Dave) that it then went to Roger Banks but not sure as it is thirty years ago :g:

One thing for sure i think it is great ,bit off the wall but definately got something.

I would imagine Dave has a recording of it ?and as he seems to be a bit /lot more cmputer competent than myself maybe he would be a nice chap and put it on here to hear :thumbup:

and yes it was an emi disc

Steve off to dig out that tape and listen again :rofl:

Hope you find that tape Steve, would love to listen to it, Hattie Winston for one. I have it but not complete.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!