Hesitations - Push A Little Harder - This Is A Mystery To Me

Premium Stuff

Great, great record  :thumbsup: 

Other side of "Born Free" on UK and a foreign release - was it also on French or Spanish or something?

I have a 45 here - small (UK style) centre hole.

Label completely removed both sides - and looks like it was black originally (Stateside-like) but then I'm not an expert in ripped off labels.

Matrix marks appear in only one spot either side of the record and are deeply scratched out. They look machine stamped underneath the scratches.

Anyone tell me if this is the UK of a foreign version please - and also hazard a guess why it has no labels?

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Aaah - now I realised I made a mistake in my description  :dash2:

The record I have has the centre pushed out! So big hole, but was a small hole with push-out centre.

Does that mean it was definitely the UK version or maybe the foreign release?

Dave - what does the matrix look like on your copy please? Is it all scratched out like mine?  :g:

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Dave - what does the matrix look like on your copy please? Is it all scratched out like mine?  :g:

Cheers

Richard

:hatsoff2: HI RICH  The matrix on my copy for "push a little harder" MSV-7883-1C if you look above the HLR 10180, You will see most of the matric # except for the -1C.  I have checked all the rare soul demos on the orange label, all matrix # are clear, :thumbsup: DAVE K.

Social source share

Thanks for all the responses folks.

Here's a photo of the record. Bit rough. Had it since late 70s.

You can see the matrix is deeply scratched out, but examining it with a hand lens it looks to match the details Dave K gave above.

It also looks like UK style with the 4 pronged push out centre and anti slip raised bits at the edge of the label.

Just could not fathom the entirely missing label and scratched out matrix - could this be some kind of test pressing - or was it just vandalised?

Realised I have another one of this in a picture sleeve somewhere which I think is the French one. Not sure where the heck I have put it though  :lol:

Cheers

Richard

post-12286-0-82623300-1379276640_thumb.j

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Thanks for all the responses folks.

Here's a photo of the record. Bit rough. Had it since late 70s.

You can see the matrix is deeply scratched out, but examining it with a hand lens it looks to match the details Dave K gave above.

It also looks like UK style with the 4 pronged push out centre and anti slip raised bits at the edge of the label.

Just could not fathom the entirely missing label and scratched out matrix - could this be some kind of test pressing - or was it just vandalised?

Realised I have another one of this in a picture sleeve somewhere which I think is the French one. Not sure where the heck I have put it though  :lol:

Cheers

Richard

looks like a uk copy thats been vandalised

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL.   Rich your 45, takes me back to 1970/1, I am sure that the label has been removed & centre knocked out, disfiguring 45s in such a way, was done by many white lads copying the REGGAE SOUND MAN STYLE, or as we have got to call them COVER UP, 

The Cover up or Secret Sound reached it's peak in 73/4 or Blackpool v Wigan battle, especially when Simon found new stuff, I have often chuckled that Secret Sound has his initial SS. 

When I started to collect Rare Soul there was a big North South divide in England, those who lived in the North gave little info to the south, talking in matrix # and removing the label,

I am sure this is how your record got disfigured,  a PROMO/DEMO would have a blank label with a matrix #, I don't think for one bit that a record company would send out a record in that state, do you?

this is yet another bit of the of Northern Soul". the value of it is about £20 maybe more to a DJ  :ohmy: DAVE K

Edited by dthedrug
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL.   Rich your 45, takes me back to 1970/1, I am sure that the label has been removed & centre knocked out, disfiguring 45s in such a way, was done by many white lads copying the REGGAE SOUND MAN STYLE, or as we have got to call them COVER UP, 

The Cover up or Secret Sound reached it's peak in 73/4 or Blackpool v Wigan battle, especially when Simon found new stuff, I have often chuckled that Secret Sound has his initial SS. 

When I started to collect Rare Soul there was a big North South divide in England, those who lived in the North gave little info to the south, talking in matrix # and removing the label,

I am sure this is how your record got disfigured,  a PROMO/DEMO would have a blank label with a matrix #, I don't think for one bit that a record company would send out a record in that state, do you?

this is yet another bit of the of Northern Soul". the value of it is about £20 maybe more to a DJ  :ohmy: DAVE K

Thanks Dave - that's really interesting  :thumbsup:

I have to confess that I thought the only reason for obscuring all the identification details on a record like that could really only be to hide its identity - i.e. do a "Cover Up" on it.

Was a bit embarrassed to suggest it though, as it seemed a bit of an off-the-wall way of doing it - I really only know about covering-up by means of sticking labels on.

If it is a "cover-up" as you suggest, and that seems very plausible I have to say, I think it's a really interesting artefact  :D

I remember I got it '79ish from Rob Smith's in Nottingham.

Appreciate all the comment on this thread folks - thanks  :thumbsup:

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

:hatsoff2: Hi All....Yes Rich your record is a bit of Rare Soul History, the labels would of been removed because it was a) still available in the shops, so keeping it's ID a secret was to prevent other DJ's finding it out, b) I am 100% sure it was done in 1970 and taken to the Wheel as a new discovery, if so you have a genuine Twisted Wheel Record, c) the record is still rare & should be played hence my valuation, if only you cold trace it back to the person who removed the label, but I am certain I'm correct, also I forgot to state the centre was deliberately dinked out to make it look like a US import again this would mislead any one finding out it's true identity,

When I buy rare records I take the condition as it comes, in some ways this market for mint only records is nonsense to me as your record proves that it has history, frame it get Brian Raye to autograph it as a genuine WHEEL play (tell him I said it was) and then sell it or hang it.

:huh: DAVE K

• Helpful 1
Social source share

No, definitely no Aussie release for "Push..."

Thats a Shame I'd love that on an Aussie release... some of the RCA material did come out over there, Metros is a well known one of course, but I saw a copy of Zerben R Hicks/Dynamics - Light's out / You make me feel so good, some years back on Ebay on a pic cover as well, first and only one Ive ever seen, and Ive looked high and low believe me... :(

Sorry back to the Hesitations and the Kapp label..

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

:hatsoff2: Hi All....Yes Rich your record is a bit of Rare Soul History, the labels would of been removed because it was a) still available in the shops, so keeping it's ID a secret was to prevent other DJ's finding it out, b) I am 100% sure it was done in 1970 and taken to the Wheel as a new discovery, if so you have a genuine Twisted Wheel Record, c) the record is still rare & should be played hence my valuation, if only you cold trace it back to the person who removed the label, but I am certain I'm correct, also I forgot to state the centre was deliberately dinked out to make it look like a US import again this would mislead any one finding out it's true identity,

When I buy rare records I take the condition as it comes, in some ways this market for mint only records is nonsense to me as your record proves that it has history, frame it get Brian Raye to autograph it as a genuine WHEEL play (tell him I said it was) and then sell it or hang it.

:huh: DAVE K

Would be really interested if anyone can add anything to Dave's really interesting account of how records were treated like this at the Wheel to obscure their identity.

Cheers  :thumbsup:

Richard

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!