Hull City Hall Sat 14Th Sept

Had a fab night spinning a few (below) in the alternative freestyle room with fellow Waterfront Blues and Soul Club (York) resident Jay Cee. Great to meet the Hull Soul Club and what an inaugural soul night in this incredible venue with over 1100 in spread over 3 rooms, Northern & Motown, Modern and Alternative/Freestyle. Big thanks to all for the enthusiasm for what we played and hospitality. Modern Room buzzing, Northern oldies & Motown Room simply electric. Only disappointment ... the warm up event across the road organised by Steve Woomble was that successful it was so full we couldn't even reach the entrance door from the outside let alone get in. Memorable night — The Kings Hall of the North in the making ?

Lowell Fulson ‘make a little love’

Etta James ‘tighten up your own thing’

Ben Brown ‘ask the lonely’

Nick Waterhouse ‘raina’

Barbara & Brenda ‘thats when you’ve got soul’

Tawny Von ‘don’t say it never was’

Irie Blessing ‘Incrowd’

Ed Summers ‘i can tell’

Van McCoy ‘i’m in love with you baby’

Tom Green ‘endless confusion’

Eddie Lee Mattison ‘take your time’

Della Reece ‘blow out the sun’

McKay ‘take me over’

Melodians ‘ last train to expo 67’

Johnny Clarke ‘hey girl don’t bother me’

Joe Walker ‘this is my last goodbye’

Lucinda Slim & the Lone Stars ‘all this time’

Nicoletta ‘vis ta vie’

Helena ‘il n’est plus la’

Sugar Pie DeSanto ’i want to know’

Barbara Lynn ‘nice & easy’

Bamboos ‘tighten up’

Patsy with Lyn Tait & the Jets ‘a man is two faced’

Pat Kelly ‘how long’

Edited by andybellwood
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Soul Searcher

Andy, Agree a ground breaking night for all of us Ullies. And a lot of blisters today.

However one main concern was that the place had numerous new comers to the scene in attendence, to experience the past and be educated in the revival (I took 7 friends who were relatively new to the game) and who had been to Cleethorpes with me a couple of times and a couple of local gigs. I also had the Mrs and a couple of mates who had travelled down from Nottingham who are relatively converse with the music from the mid 70's

However no one could understand why there wasn't a bit more commercial music played. As soon as Judy Street blasted out (a request for the wifes birthday) then the floor was full, it then subsequently emptied for the next play only to be filled again (to maximum) when Dobie's classic Out On The Floor Burst out.

This was a trend all night.

Now I won't declare to be the Wigan prophet, but my collection is around 400 mixed songs (not including Motown) but I can run a continuous play of over 70 anthems that every soul follower would know and would have kept the floor full and guaranteed the event over and over again.

I am now trying to get the group to Stoke and Nottingham but they want a few more well known classics guaranteed to keep them on the floor.

Whats your thoughts??

Social source share

Had a fab night spinning a few (below) in the alternative freestyle room with fellow Waterfront Blues and Soul Club (York) resident Jay Cee. Great to meet the Hull Soul Club and what an inaugural soul night in this incredible venue with over 1100 in spread over 3 rooms, Northern & Motown, Modern and Alternative/Freestyle. Big thanks to all for the enthusiasm for what we played and hospitality. Modern Room buzzing, Northern oldies & Motown Room simply electric. Only disappointment ... the warm up event across the road organised by Steve Woomble was that successful it was so full we couldn't even reach the entrance door from the outside let alone get in. Memorable night — The Kings Hall of the North in the making ?

Lowell Fulson ‘make a little love’

Etta James ‘tighten up your own thing’

Ben Brown ‘ask the lonely’

Nick Waterhouse ‘raina’

Barbara & Brenda ‘thats when you’ve got soul’

Tawny Von ‘don’t say it never was’

Irie Blessing ‘Incrowd’

Ed Summers ‘i can tell’

Van McCoy ‘i’m in love with you baby’

Tom Green ‘endless confusion’

Eddie Lee Mattison ‘take your time’

Della Reece ‘blow out the sun’

McKay ‘take me over’

Melodians ‘ last train to expo 67’

Johnny Clarke ‘hey girl don’t bother me’

Joe Walker ‘this is my last goodbye’

Lucinda Slim & the Lone Stars ‘all this time’

Nicoletta ‘vis ta vie’

Helena ‘il n’est plus la’

Sugar Pie DeSanto ’i want to know’

Barbara Lynn ‘nice & easy’

Bamboos ‘tighten up’

Patsy with Lyn Tait & the Jets ‘a man is two faced’

Pat Kelly ‘how long’

Had a few pms asking about Ben Brown so here goes...

Edited by andybellwood
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Folks,

Just to say it was a great night in Hull.  Great crowd of people who enjoyed the music in the three rooms and danced like crazy.  Glad to be able to spin some tunes as the promoter of The Waterfront Blues & Soul Club (York) and showcase what we do to a new and appreciative crowd.  Staff at the venue were also awesome and very co-operative keeping a watchful eye on all proceedings and even having the courtesy to ask me, as a dee-jay, how I felt the event had gone.  Their feedback was how relaxed the crowd were and that folk were just enjoying themselves in a very good natured way.  Brilliant to meet the Hull Soul Club crew and some good friends from that neck of the woods - Terry, Steve Woomble, Martyn Bird and great support from Terry Finn (Waterfront resident) and his Mrs - Flo.

Here's my play list in no particular order:

Mercy, Mercy, Mercy - Ray Barretto (Fania)

Sometimey - Little Milton (Checker)

Shake & Shing-A-Ling - Gene Waiters (Fairmount - promo)

Don't Just Look At Me - Chris Farlowe (Immediate)

One More Time - The Clovers (Porwin)

Little Angel - Joe Matthews (New Moon)

I've Been Thinking - Jay Cee (There Was A Time Productions)

'Cos It's You Girl - James Walsh Gypsy Band (Test Pressing)

Brother's Gonna Work It Out - Willie Hutch (Motown)

I Believe In Miracles - The Jackson Sisters (Prophesy)

Love Music - Sergio Mendes & Brasil '77 (Bell - promo)

It's Gonna Rain - Gentleman June Gardner (Emarcy)

Ain't There Something Money Can't Buy - Young Holt Trio (Brunswick)

You Just Cheat And Lie - Z Z Hill (Kent)

I Don't Care (What The People Say) - Cookie Scott & The Chevelles (ORR)

Country Road - Toots & The Maytalls (Island - promo)

My Sweet Lord - Fitzroy Sterling (Pama)

Stomache Ache - Junior Wells (Vanguard)

My Baby Likes To Boogaloo - Don Gardner (Tru Glo-Town)

Grazing The Grass (Una Miradita) - Los Charly's Orchestra (Imagenes)

Truth In My Tears - Louise Jane White (Philips - promo)

Don't Lead Me On - Emanuel Laskey (Thelma)

I Finally Got Wise - Billy Keen (Galaxy - promo)

Do It - Billy Sha Rae (Hour Glass)

Peepin' And Hidin'  - Riff Ruffin (Duke - promo)

Cheers Y'all,

Jay Cee

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Want a sad sorry excuse of once "cool" scene the northern soul scene has become when all people want is Judy Street and Dobie Gray. Someone remind me what year it is?

How do newcomers to the scene know what a classic is and what is not a classic? Or have they been force fed the so called top 70 anthems?

What did they listen to until they decided they wanted to be part of the northern soul scene? The same top 40 for 40 years by any chance?

There is more to this scene than the same top 70 records, I'm just talking classics btw, I'm not even including records from post Wigan.

couldnt agree more , can't get my head round newcomers being biased , obviously must be brainwashed into oldies, makes me f*cking sick

Edited by mike
offensive language edited
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

couldnt agree more , can't get my head round newcomers being biased , obviously must be brainwashed into oldies, makes me f*cking sick

have just edited your post

the use of offensive language/images etc on here can damage the site in various ways

terms of use do cover this

ask that in future you drop doing such

thanks

mike

Social source share

Want a sad sorry excuse of once "cool" scene the northern soul scene has become when all people want is Judy Street and Dobie Gray. Someone remind me what year it is?

How do newcomers to the scene know what a classic is and what is not a classic? Or have they been force fed the so called top 70 anthems?

What did they listen to until they decided they wanted to be part of the northern soul scene? The same top 40 for 40 years by any chance?

There is more to this scene than the same top 70 records, I'm just talking classics btw, I'm not even including records from post Wigan.

Two words for ya Chalky......Two scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSIzzwvbAuI&feature=share

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Two words for ya Chalky......Two scenes.

It shouldn't be though Steve.  Any newcomer has the best of near on 50 years of this wonderful scene, why should it come down to 70 records or 100 records, the same records week in week out.  This isn't even oldies vs newies., most of them are oldies now but there is at least 25 years worth of records if you just count up to the end of the 80's.  There is so much good stuff discovered in recent years by the likes of Kent that should satisfy most dancers.  

Any newcomer hasn't a clue about classics, Wigan, Stafford, Torch etc so why do people insist on force feeding them so called anthems.....ffs why Judy Street and Dobie Gray  :huh:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes I agree but most people are musically "blinkered" in all musical genres, not just soul. You should see em all wetting themselves and clambering to get tickets when Genesis or Quo "do" a gig!

I do agree though Judy Street - absolute garbage, and youngsters should be open minded to hear anything. Certainly the younger crowds I've seen have no blinkers and are willing to dance to anything that's good....but you wouldn't catch them prancing about in a Kebab shop either eh?

Social source share