Dowloads Pitched Up On Youtube Etc

How many times do i go to listen to a tune on youtube and find that some clown as downloaded the track pitched up.... When its a deeper track/ ballad it can sound so f"cking wrong... Do they think they are clever or trying to turn it into more of a dancer, maybe some trying to sell it as such.... I know we have the pitching going on with certain tracks but leave these great soul ballads alone please.... Here is an example of one of my fav tunes....   Maybe they have a player that plays it a touch fast... Let me know your thoughts.. Maybe there are folk who like the pitched up version....  :huh:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZhTyfyAMtU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgNGuXl92fI

Edited by little-stevie
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Am guilty of a pitch :(

Example for me is some popcorn stuff, but never till its distorted. Surely a good ear tells you that it isn't happening.

You aint alone mate, would like to hear a good example if any can post them???... I have heard some RnB/ popcorn given the treatment and they sound ok on 1st listen...

I guess its when i hear a sound that i really love being distorted in some way that i turn into the Hulk :yes:

Edited by little-stevie
Social source share

I find that the popcorn stuff that I like tends to be more often pitched down.

An example is Ann Caudell 'Longing for You ' which I heard on a Jesterwild Mix , got to know it at that speed , then when I Youtube it, it seems really fast.

As there is only one post on Youtube I don't know which is the correct speed, but I prefer the slower mix.

Personally I am guilty of using the varispeed on most records I play when djing, either to make the song sound 'better' to my ears, or to make the mix better.

Before I am chastised for messing with the 'true sound ' of the record I do not dj to a purist crowd and the varispeed is a valuable tool if used in moderation.

Each to their own.

Edited by nickp
Social source share

A lot of the popcorn stuff has a latin  mambo feel and the slower beat lends itself to being 'stretched'.If you look at the way that they dance, its a more relaxed,dancing with a partner style as opposed to the 'lose myself in myself' style of the soul fan.

You beat me to it Benji.

Edited by nickp
Social source share

Steve, I bet you'll find that a lot of these pitched up records are done by people into the Belgian Popcorn scene.  They always pitch records up, don't know why.

Interesting point Pete...

I had a chat with Belgium popcorn guys when they played in Manchester a few years ago, i remember the comments about certain tunes played too fast and they would pitch them down.....

Social source share

I don't agree with  pitching up records, under any circumstances,its wrong and should not be be done  :(

Bazza   :hatsoff2:

PS ,And I think its a little arrogant ,that a DJ thinks he knows better than the original artist

Edited by Bazza
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I don't agree with  pitching up records, under any circumstances,its wrong and should not be be done  :(

PS ,And I think its a little arrogant ,that a DJ thinks he knows better than the original artist

Maybe pitching is like fracking... You will get those for and against.....

Can we have some pitchers viewpoints please.. I know these beasts are lurking on here :D

Social source share

Records have been played pitched ever since the invention of adjustable turntables. And some records were pressed faster or slower than they were recorded. So even the producers thought they'd know better than the artists.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Doctor Bird

Interesting point Pete...

I had a chat with Belgium popcorn guys when they played in Manchester a few years ago, i remember the comments about certain tunes played too fast and they would pitch them down.....

Does Mike Hanks - The Hawk would fit into that category?  

Social source share

If the pitch / tempo don't fit into your set ,find one that does ,not bugger about with the pitch / tempo of known record ,no point in arguing with me on this ,I will not change my mind lol  :rofl:

Edited by Bazza
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL   What makes it sound so crap & it does sound crap, is the fact that no attempt has been made to use studio equipment, as a result the swampdogs vocal has been ruined. This example has got the thumbs down on this thread, so why does Pete think it has Belgium appeal, I say leave all the tech DJing to the people who know what they are doing :ohmy: DAVE K 

Social source share

Records have been played pitched ever since the invention of adjustable turntables. And some records were pressed faster or slower than they were recorded. So even the producers thought they'd know better than the artists.

i have a blank label acetate of Precisions "instant Heartbreak" which sounds like the released take but 5RPM slower ( and imo better)....so anyone djing the Drew copy should pitch it down  to get how it was recorded...try it :wink:

Social source share

I tend with most things in life to take them at face value, not having a vast knowledge of sounds outside the 500 and having taken time out from the whole soul scene with family commitments through the 80's and 90's unless it is glaringly obvious I would not know either way whether a tune had been pitched or not , I would have spotted the Jerry Williams by virtue of knowing his voice. Whether it's right or wrong I have no strong opinion though the examples posted here all sound better in their original form to me.That said I have to hold my hand up and admit I was taken in by the supposed Harold Melvin version of Pressure ,no I did not think it was Teddy's vocal ,I may be stupid but I'm not that stupid. i guess what I'm saying is if I don't already know the tune and on first hearing it's pitched up or down and I like it then I like it, whether that opinion would change on hearing it in it's original form I don't know but going off the examples here it probably would.

Social source share

I am singing the precisions in my head pitched down, sounds ok,ha ha.. Working away and can't do the test at home.. Can anyone play it pitched down and let us all know what they think???/

I am singing the precisions in my head pitched down, sounds ok,ha ha.. Working away and can't do the test at home.. Can anyone play it pitched down and let us all know what they think???/

ive just checked and i posted the acetate in 2007 on refosoul as "test press" give it a listen stevie......note "dream girl" on the acetate is the same as the Drew release... :)

Social source share

Guest Hunnymon

Somewhere in a corner of my mind I've heard/read that if you slightly alter the record speed the copywriters won't be aware of an infringement of the copyright (maybe this is the reason).

Social source share

Totally agree with you , I don't think any sh88ould be pitched up , if it weren't good enough for the writers and producers etc at the time it were recorded why does some Herbert think he / she knows better,i find it a bit of an insult to the writers etc

What nonsense, as if any producer or artist would care if their song was a few bpm faster ot a half tone higher, especially if it was being enjoyed! Music isnt so rigidly concocted and is also very often flawed in one or more respects. I know of many tunes completely invigourated by a but more tempo - invitations -watch out little girl being the most obvious to my mind, absolutely drags at normal speed.

Not only am I more than happy to pitch stuff up or down, if i enjoy it more that way, i'd dearly love to chop whole bits out of some tunes.

Any musician wouldn't care at all unless they were extremely conceited, hence most being all right with sampling and remixes etc.

It is wrong to think that how a record was released is always exactly how the artists wanted it, or in it's optimum version. The best judge is the person using it.

Edited by penny
Social source share

Steve, I bet you'll find that a lot of these pitched up records are done by people into the Belgian Popcorn scene.  They always pitch records up, don't know why.

Which do they pitch up? They are more likely to pitch stuff down i'd have thought, unless is a real slow beat ballad, charles sheffield for example they played at -5. Jamie coe's cleopatra they played at 33 +8!

They have a very narrow range which they will dance to, much narrower than the northern scene, and it's because the pretty much only slow-jive, in couples. Great tempo to dance to.

Social source share

I don't agree with pitching up records, under any circumstances,its wrong and should not be be done :(

Bazza :hatsoff2:

They do. They know what they like better than the original artist does. In a recording studio, you nearly always play stuff slower than you would say, at a gig with people dancing. Theres no logic that says these records are necesarily the definitive versions. Edited by penny
Social source share

They do. They know what they like better than the original artist does. In a recording studio, you nearly always play stuff slower than you would say, at a gig with people dancing. Theres no logic that says these records are necesarily the definitive versions.

Penny I very rarely agree with what you say ,and that still stands ,we have our own opinions tho ,and no one can convince me that buggering about with the  pitch /  tempo of a known record is right  :(

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Pitch up Otis Clay - Show Place,  It's a thumper of a tune anyways but up two clicks and feck me!! it's a monster

dazz

That's fine as long as nobody f**ks about with the flip   :D

Social source share

Just ticking the like box is not enough for this comment....summed it up in my opinion.....the tune on the record is what was recorded...when it left the studio that was the finished product ...don't try to make it something else !

Social source share

What nonsense, as if any producer or artist would care if their song was a few bpm faster ot a half tone higher, especially if it was being enjoyed! Music isnt so rigidly concocted and is also very often flawed in one or more respects. I know of many tunes completely invigourated by a but more tempo - invitations -watch out little girl being the most obvious to my mind, absolutely drags at normal speed.

Not only am I more than happy to pitch stuff up or down, if i enjoy it more that way, i'd dearly love to chop whole bits out of some tunes.

Any musician wouldn't care at all unless they were extremely conceited, hence most being all right with sampling and remixes etc.

It is wrong to think that how a record was released is always exactly how the artists wanted it, or in it's optimum version. The best judge is the person using it.

no it's not nonsense , just my opinion, like a lot of others , suit yourself what you do , but I might like the invitations at its "natural " speed or some other for that matter , why done we go the full hog and slow some 100 mph stompers down instead.
Social source share

.[why is the best judge the person using it , I know some DJS who couldn't tell you one musical note!! I appreciate some musician / writers won't mind as long as it's bringing in the bacon, but not all of them would appreciate it especially those that don't need the dough. I'm a tradesman and I wouldn't like someone tampering with my work, apart from the money , why should they feel any different about their work

Social source share

Which do they pitch up? They are more likely to pitch stuff down i'd have thought, unless is a real slow beat ballad, charles sheffield for example they played at -5. Jamie coe's cleopatra they played at 33 +8!

They have a very narrow range which they will dance to, much narrower than the northern scene, and it's because the pretty much only slow-jive, in couples. Great tempo to dance to.

I'm the opposite, with Charles Sheffield I pitch it about + 3.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!