Livin' In The Footsteps...versions?

George G

All, I was looking into the history of the Promises, a white girl group from Cleveland who recorded this song (as 'another girl') for Brunswick/BRC. I presume the Chi-Lites version ('another man') was first.....are there other versions?

Quote from Tony Drake's website:

"The Chi-Lites introduced Living In The Footsteps Of Another Man in 1972 on their gold album; A Lonely Man featuring their number one hit Oh Girl. In 1988 Footsteps showed up on The Pasadenas, To Whom It May Concern. Their debut album soared past platinum in England including the debut chart topper tribute; Right On. Living In The Footsteps of Another Man is a classic that has been recorded by Reggaes Dennis Brown, Delroy Wilson, Alton Ellis and Gregory Isaacs. Disco version by Maryann Farra and Satin Soul; Living In The Footsteps of Another Girl has a unique sound.  

The song has now been released in Italian on the new CD, Cora by La Pina E Soul Kingdom.

Living In The Footsteps of Another Man has been recorded many times but not until NOW by the MAN WHO LIVED THE SONG, The MAN WHO WROTE THE SONG; Tony Drake!! On his soon to be released CD, The Tony Drake Collection"

https://www.songsbytonydrake.com/footsteps.html

In my opinion a rather crappy 80's UK version exists by The Pasadenas,here:

Social source share

There is a far better Tom Moulton mix by Tony Drake which I got on acetate in the early 1990's from Pat Brady for £15. It was a bit of a Soul essence record that decade. The version that Tony eventually put out isn't anywhere near as good. Moulton zinged it up....as only Moulton can!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

All, I was looking into the history of the Promises, a white girl group from Cleveland who recorded this song (as 'another girl') for Brunswick/BRC. I presume the Chi-Lites version ('another man') was first.....are there other versions?

Could you point us towards where we can find more info on the Promises?

Have always enjoyed their version of  " This Love Is Real "  but always assumed that they were black.

And there were some liner notes I believe on a Brunswick compilation CD many years ago that implied that an LP on the Promises was released on BRC ?

Social source share

regarding the Promises, they go back to the girl groups of the early 1960s, they were originally called the Three Blond Mice. They had a 45 on United Artists and also did background vocals on a few Cleveland records. I don't know much about their career as the Promises, I also heard an LP was recorded but I dunno if it was released. I've known about the Three Blond Mice for years but this piece of the story is pretty new to me. I just checked the internet for Three Blond Mice, the only useful link is to my website...oh well. Also checked on youtube...no luck either. Time to call in my CLE team.

Social source share

the columbia 45 is from 1975. it's Columbia 10371 "old fashioned way" / "we'll drift away". It's hard as stock, I still have it as a one-sided promo. There are no common names between this and the brunswick 45s but that's a common thing with girl group who were all produced by other people. so right now i don't know if they are the same group or not.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!