Culture Show Wednesday 25Th Sept Ns:keeping The Faith

Haydn

Am sure it contains the footage from Nuneaton and will have footage from Elaine's film.

I should imagine it contains footage from Stoke Kings Hall and Wigan Young Souls, Highfield venues as well because the TV crew where at both venues

I am also aware that Richard Searling asked a couple of Wigan based record collectors to appear in the programme but I'm not sure if they decided to appear on the show

Social source share

' all youth cultures come back, In a small hall In Wigan People from the spotify generation are wearing, well, very wide pants".

That's as far as I got... FFS

Social source share

True, but there's more to Northern Soul and "keeping the faith" than Wigan. Let's hope he extends the story beyond December 1981.

Here's hoping for a rounded view like the recent book.

Social source share

hope i`m being a bit premature but lets hope it doesnt make out that the scene stopped when wigan shut and started back up again about 10 years ago as a retro scene

Amen to that, although the quote I've added above doesn't bode too well. I'll hold back though in optimism that it doesn't follow the usual path....

Social source share

Jeez, circle skirts and baggy trousers to the fore, this could have been filmed 40 years ago.  It makes it look as if we haven't moved on at all.

You mean like people who cant stand      It Really Hurts Me Girl ? :ohmy:  :ohmy:

Kegsy

Edited by Kegsy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

You mean like people who cant stand      It Really Hurts Me Girl ? :ohmy:  :ohmy:

Kegsy

What a moronic comment.  Try harder.  What's not liking a sh*t record got to do with clothes and the way NS is portrayed in media programs like this?

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

The BBC are a set of fat juicy payout pedos all this program is for is to help push the new northern film out shortly. Get ready for the divs on the scene maybe a few might get into it but the majority take the piss.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Looking forward to the film. I'm like a shaken bottle of pop ready to explode.

Looking forward to reading the book.

Looking forward to the Culture show review of the film.

A proud Div  :thumbsup:

Social source share

The scene is fractured beyond repair anyway, am sure most won't lose sleep over the feature

Most folks will continue doing what they like and also cherish what they know.

Retro is a circus for a few scenes, not just the soul scene. And we always know that the media never "get it".

• Helpful 3
Social source share

As far as I know, the BBC have no financial interest in the film, which is privately funded, the lion share of the funding coming from Elaine Constantine.  As part of the promotional work, it's easy to see why the film producers would approach the Culture Show, given Paul Mason's connections with the scene.  Or maybe it was the other way round and the BBC approached the film makers.  Either way, if I had sank £800,000 of my own money and years of my life into a project, I'd want as much publicity as possible in order to secure its success, and I don't believe Elaine's motives are purely financial.  Alternatively, the release of the film and the screening of the Culture Show's Northern Soul feature may be purely coincidental, as the original release was supposed to be Spring / Summer of this year.

just to qualify your comments 

can I ask if you are financially involved with the film ?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Looking forward to the film. I'm like a shaken bottle of pop ready to explode.

Looking forward to reading the book.

Looking forward to the Culture show review of the film.

A proud Div  :thumbsup:

With you on the first two Mikey, but I'm not sure the culture show is a review of the film, if it was I'd be looking forward to it with knobs on.

I think it attempting a cultural documentary on Northern Soul. Which I fear may follow the well worn ( and incorrect) route of a few years at Wigan and a leap forward a few decades to the nostalgia scene to celebrate... Ahem.. The revival.

Really hope I'm wrong. I'll be watching clutching a cushion to hide behind, it's like Dr Who as a kid :).

Social source share

With you on the first two Mikey, but I'm not sure the culture show is a review of the film, if it was I'd be looking forward to it with knobs on.

I think it attempting a cultural documentary on Northern Soul. Which I fear may follow the well worn ( and incorrect) route of a few years at Wigan and a leap forward a few decades to the nostalgia scene to celebrate... Ahem.. The revival.

Really hope I'm wrong. I'll be watching clutching a cushion to hide behind, it's like Dr Who as a kid :).

They always get something wrong don't they, never can put my finger on it, but coverage on the TV has never portrayed my experience,  somehow I think the media will never produce a definitive piece on the Northern scene, there have been parts of some programmes that have come pretty close though, and the best of them for me, was the Old Grey Whistle tests' tony's Empress Ballroom....  rattling Milk bottles, early morning Drizzle and Bud Harper echo'ing out of the front of the building... that is still spine shivering!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJJq42q-r7s

maybe Elaine Constantine's film within the context of a good story, will put that all to rights... Love the cushion!!!  

Mal

• Helpful 1
Social source share

They always get something wrong don't they, never can put my finger on it, but coverage on the TV has never portrayed my experience,  somehow I think the media will never produce a definitive piece on the Northern scene, there have been parts of some programmes that have come pretty close though, and the best of them for me, was the Old Grey Whistle tests' tony's Empress Ballroom....  rattling Milk bottles, early morning Drizzle and Bud Harper echo'ing out of the front of the building... that is still spine shivering!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJJq42q-r7s

maybe Elaine Constantine's film within the context of a good story, will put that all to rights... Love the cushion!!!  

Mal

Debbie Troops was the director, she was one of us, regular at Stafford, Blackburn etc so she knew the caper. Hence this being ok. Pretty much why I'm looking forward to Elaine's film. Directed from the inside so to speak and that's reflected in the quality of her and Gareth's book.

Social source share

From the clip it looks like the Culture Show's representation is of (surprise surprise)  the retro soul scene ; middle aged people dressed like throwback teenagers listening to the same records and going on and on and on about Wigan Wigan Wigan even though they probably only went once on a coach trip.

I think I'll give it a miss.

I am , however, looking forward to Elaine's film , and the book looks excellent.

Social source share

From the clip it looks like the Culture Show's representation is of (surprise surprise)  the retro soul scene ; middle aged people dressed like throwback teenagers listening to the same records and going on and on and on about Wigan Wigan Wigan even though they probably only went once on a coach trip.

:facepalm:

Social source share

I was at Nuneaton the night they filmed, but kept well out of the way only dancing when the cameras bug*ered off to interview downstairs. In the past I've always thought it doesn't really matter what people wear to northern dos (as in baggies full circle skirts etc) but I'm starting to realise that we need to get away from that image sharpish before we're just another circus act churned out every 10 years or so.

Elaine's film on the other hand, looks really good, and I'm looking forward to seeing it  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I was at Nuneaton the night they filmed, but kept well out of the way only dancing when the cameras bug*ered off to interview downstairs. In the past I've always thought it doesn't really matter what people wear to northern dos (as in baggies full circle skirts etc) but I'm starting to realise that we need to get away from that image sharpish before we're just another circus act churned out every 10 years or so.

That's exactly what I meant.  Why do they always concentrate on the baggy trouser stuff.  There were hundreds of other people at the venues that they could have filmed.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Reg the hand is at the prospect of another retro scene piece with middle aged baldies harping on about Wigan.....Let's hope there's more to it than that....

I know, I am hoping that it is more about the film itself. Just bugged that the retro crowd always have to steam in.

Social source share

That's exactly what I meant.  Why do they always concentrate on the baggy trouser stuff.  There were hundreds of other people at the venues that they could have filmed.

Exactly but instead I will have to endure work people thinking I go out dressed up like that on a weekend.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

As far as I know, the BBC have no financial interest in the film, which is privately funded, the lion share of the funding coming from Elaine Constantine.  As part of the promotional work, it's easy to see why the film producers would approach the Culture Show, given Paul Mason's connections with the scene.  Or maybe it was the other way round and the BBC approached the film makers.  Either way, if I had sank £800,000 of my own money and years of my life into a project, I'd want as much publicity as possible in order to secure its success, and I don't believe Elaine's motives are purely financial.  Alternatively, the release of the film and the screening of the Culture Show's Northern Soul feature may be purely coincidental, as the original release was supposed to be Spring / Summer of this year.

These people are there to line there own pockets pure and simple sorry if this offends some. As for the BBC I just cant stand em and there biased views

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

A few more for you budding scriptwriters......

....."brown condensation falling from the ceiling.....",

"It would take an hour to get in" (cue to vintage "This England" shot "No pushing at the back"),

"we had people coming from cornwall to John O' Groats"

"We'd take a bag with a change of clothes in and some Brut"

"The moment you hit that dancefloor it was magic, all of the bad things from the week at work suddenly vanished"

"Sometimes we'd leave home on friday and wouldn't get back until Monday"

Don't forget

"...voted world's best disco in 1978, better than Studio 54!" :rofl:

I couldn't care less about Wigan, but it'll be good to see Nuneaton on the telly. :thumbsup:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!