Rusty Radiators In Wigan Oct 80

Instead of the usual facing the stage dancefloor shot I hung over the balcony attempting to take a shot of my girlfriend and her mate. Nice example of gold embossed ornate plasterwork on the balcony what! Had forgotten all about those mirrored posts.

In the morning when the lights came on the full glory of wigan was all to see. Cream walls with matching olive green radiators looking ever so slightly rusty. Deluxe chairs with beer towelled bag cast on the floor. From left to right: Can't recall girls name?; Gary from Bradford; Yammy from Rotheram; Jackie from Formby(later Jackie Sharpe wife of George Sharpe DJ).

A stop off at Birch Services was compulsory on the way home. There was still a definate soul boy look then. From left to right: Jacko from Bfd; Ray North (driver of the infamous yellow tree surgeon's van), with hair and a moustache. Nowadays Ray sports a shaven head and likes to take his shirt off on the dancefloor; Jimmy Nolan wearing his leather jacket, note early growth of wedge style hair.

onwards, derek

Social source share

• Replies 2
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Matt Male

Fantastic pictures Derek. 79-81 was the time i went. Good to see all the fashions, but the most amazing thing is how packed it is :huh: . I'd forgotten just how full it could get. I also remember the brown condensation dripping on to my shirt in M's. Lovely... :huh:

The guy dead centre in the gray shirt and trousers looks like Weasel from Nuneaton. Maybe Mark Freeman can verify if he takes a look.

M.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!