Shine Like Tokyo - Northern Soul Goes East - Radio 4 Sat 21 Sept

Stevie

That's interesting, I was talking to Soul Sam the other week and he said that of all the Radio 1 DJs that came to the clubs he was DJing in in the 1970's, there was only one who had a genuine interest in trying to understand Northern soul and sepnt time trying to hear about it. Guess who? Annie Nightingale.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Radio 4 Sat 21 September @ 10:30.

"Annie Nightingale travels to Japan to explore the growing cult appreciation of Northern Soul..."

Sounds interesting - nice to see a different slant on the subject.

thanks for the heads up bud,gonna try listen in,cheers

jason

Social source share

Looking forward to listening as well...though I don't think Annie actually came over here for interviews?

I was contacted by a (totally clueless) researcher who had no idea what Northern Soul was/is at all...I still chuckle to myself at the persons reaction when I said that there was no Northern Soul scene per se in Tokyo..."You can't say that!"....'er yes I can as it is true, but hey lets not let facts get in the way of a good story! Needless to say I never followed up the invitation to meet up.

I did however point them in the direction of the Kobe/Osaka based scene where there is a small but neatly formed Northern scene, so will be fun to hear their comments. In fact I'm DJing down in Kobe on Saturday 28th if any of you happen to be there...100% full-on OVO Northern Soul!

:)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Looking forward to listening as well...though I don't think Annie actually came over here for interviews?

I was contacted by a (totally clueless) researcher who had no idea what Northern Soul was/is at all...I still chuckle to myself at the persons reaction when I said that there was no Northern Soul scene per se in Tokyo..."You can't say that!"....'er yes I can as it is true, but hey lets not let facts get in the way of a good story! Needless to say I never followed up the invitation to meet up.

I did however point them in the direction of the Kobe/Osaka based scene where there is a small but neatly formed Northern scene, so will be fun to hear their comments. In fact I'm DJing down in Kobe on Saturday 28th if any of you happen to be there...100% full-on OVO Northern Soul!

Thought they might have spoken to you Dave. Are you actually interviewed in the piece?

Social source share

The video of Keb Darge playing Northern in Kobe is impressive. Crowd doesn't look that small to me.

Social source share

Look forward to this and I hope it covers how the scene transfered to Japan.

Annie Nightingale has always come across to me as a good sort with an eclectic taste in music. Saw her doing the alternative room somewhere and she played some nice electronic stuff.

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Thought they might have spoken to you Dave. Are you actually interviewed in the piece?

I didn't follow up the phone call as it appeared they wanted more about the Mod/scooter/fashion side of things. The plan was to interview some punters at a doo in Tokyo (a mixture of Soul, Funk, 50's, Jazz, breakbeats!), and at a scooter run down in Kobe/Osaka. There is also a long-running band based in Tokyo playing afore mentioned music, who deserve a nod and are probably interviewed as well.

Social source share

The video of Keb Darge playing Northern in Kobe is impressive. Crowd doesn't look that small to me.

There are two venues used in Kobe...the "spiritual home" is called the Nude Resturant...holds 100 or so and has been holding Northern monthly to bi-monthly nighters for almost two decades! The commitment, enthusiasm, passion and fun levels are always on max there! Shame there isn't anything similar in Tokyo...the older collectors here don't dance and won't mix with the younger element, who do dance (in the park and at the supermarket...youve all seen the youtube clips, right?!) are more Mod fashion orientated...and drifting towards Kebs Rockabilly direction...they love 'im!

Social source share

Ah well, there's nowt wrong with being an optimist. I was hoping for something contemporary but Russ, Sandy Holt (cartwheels?) along with Frank wilson, Marc Almond and a variety of Youth Club anthems playing in the background put payed to that. Nice to hear Bud Harper though.

My hopes for the future are now focused on Elaine Constantines film.

Social source share

Annie - "...so this thing preceded Acid House then?"

Russ - "Definately!"

:lol: :lol:

Love the Very BBC narration too:

"...occassionally paying up to £200 for a particularly rare single!"

Why £200 particularly??

Edited by Barry
Social source share

If you go to Wigan shopping precinct you may hear a faint echo.

:hatsoff2: - Kev

That was a silly post.

Anyway, only caught the first half and, having viewed their energy and enthusiasm via youtube, thought the Japanese guys would have been worthy of being filmed rather than radio interviewed. Nice to see the Nude Restaurant getting a mention, and also acknowledgement that there were venues that preceded Wigan (that makes a change). Ady came across ok, as expected, and Russ was, well, as expected

Just wondered, with the Japanese guys not understanding the song lyrics, if instrumentals were still a big part of the scene over there?

:hatsoff2: - Kev

Social source share

stopped listening when Russ Winstanley claimed he discovered R Dean Taylor "Ghost In My House" on the MFP Album. It was a Mecca Spin first by Ian Levine on the USA 7" and rare as hell. BBC do it again, no real research...

YES!!   And I remember Annie Nightingale's seriously embarrassing interview with Paul Simon. Could anyone really take her seriously after that?

Seems the best the BBC can do is dig up a couple of ill informed idiots like these two to present our music.

Having said that, contrast Ady Croasdell who contributed. All of us must acknowledge his massive input to our scene.

Social source share

Caught the broadcast by accident, driving up to leamington for the record fair on Saturday.

It didn't really need to have such a focus on Wigan and would have been improved by more about Japan, which it was supposedly about. Maybe it would have made sense to also refer to the interest in Northern in other countries as well.

Social source share

It didn't really need to have such a focus on Wigan and would have been improved by more about Japan, which it was supposedly about. Maybe it would have made sense to also refer to the interest in Northern in other countries as well.

Perfectly sums up my thoughts on it as well.

The video within the previous post demonstrates the passion/fun and smiles on faces that the Kobe scene enjoys perfectly...I'm now really looking forward to DJing there again next Saturday!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Yes the night was AMAZING on every level...full-on...100% commitment to the dancefloor and the music...and OVO of course! :thumbup:

As a footnote...the radio piece did do some good, as a girl from Leeds was there...her friend had heard the show and that there were Northern Soul doos in Kobe...looked it up and saw one was on, so she high-tailed it down there...and she was on the dancefloor all night!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!