Vee Gees On Sump Soff

It is not from Detroit despite having a similar logo to the James Ellis from Detroit. It is from Greensboro, North Carolina. I assume you are talking about "Talkin'" but the other Vee Gees record "It's so hard to say so long" comes with two different label variations / designs. One of the designs lists a totally different recording time but both recordings are identical.

The other mystery behind "It's so hard to say so long" is that it's the exact same song as the Equasions on Pac Sounds out San Antonio. But both records credit themselves. It's not clear who stole from whom and how this obscure Carolinas song made it to San Antonio (or vice versa). More random info: the Equasions on Pac Sounds had three members of the Volumes on Garu.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Thanks! I didn't think they were from Detroit despite numerous eBay listings saying it was. Sort of strange how often the record does turn up here in varying conditions, but I suppose people move.

the label clearly has some sort of detroit connection because the james ellis thing with the same design. i don't know what the connnection is though.

Social source share

Amazing how many people list the label as Sump Off as well.....A bit of NS history first played by Curtis at The Mecca.....Although I didn't hear it then, it's a record I have liked for a long time.

Agree Steve. It's a very nice record with lots of things going for it.

Nice info from Bob and others too.

Cheers everyone.

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

the label clearly has some sort of detroit connection because the james ellis thing with the same design. i don't know what the connnection is though.

Isn't the 'j' shaped like a basketball player in a jump position my brother had this record a long time ago and he pointed that out then and was told that a basketball player owned the label cant remember any name though could be wrong but it would make sense looking at the 'j' figure

Dave L

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes I either read it , or was told that the label owner also ran a basketball team hence the label being called " jump off " presumably that's a basketball term .

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!