Ronnie Hawkins - Southern Love (watcha Gonna Do) (roulette)

• Replies 8
  • Views 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Richard Bergman

Anyone know this? If so, what do you think?
#

Yep...Hideway play .....round the £30 mark.....sounds very rockabilly to me Gene, which uis no bad thing

Social source share

Anyone know this? If so, what do you think?

Hiya.

I can shed a little light on to this for you Gene. It was released on Roulette (the early white design with the radial striped red / blue striped pattern out from the centre hole.

IT uses a slowed down and re-arranged version of the backing track used by Chick Willis for his Atlantic release of What You Gonna Do (When Your baby Leaves You) which is a far more up-tempo dance orientated track altogether, although this version also has an almost country/RnB feel to it.

I did have a promo copy for years but sold it on the a mate from Bury (Ziggy) around 4 or 5 years ago.

It is still a popular spin at clubs such as Manchesters Hideaway Club and gets quite frequent airings in The Room At The Top in Bury Town Hall (PLUG PLUG!!! - LOL)

Ronnie Hawkins did front a couple of groups too as lead singer (group names escape me at the moment - I'm still a little tired and emotional after Cleethorpes madness :wicked:

Hope this is helpful Gene - Neil Jones.

Social source share

Hiya.

I can shed a little light on to this for you Gene. It was released on Roulette (the early white design with the radial striped red / blue striped pattern out from the centre hole.

IT uses a slowed down and re-arranged version of the backing track used by Chick Willis for his Atlantic release of What You Gonna Do (When Your baby Leaves You) which is a far more up-tempo dance orientated track altogether, although this version also has an almost country/RnB feel to it.

I did have a promo copy for years but sold it on the a mate from Bury (Ziggy) around 4 or 5 years ago.

It is still a popular spin at clubs such as Manchesters Hideaway Club and gets quite frequent airings in The Room At The Top in Bury Town Hall (PLUG PLUG!!! - LOL)

Ronnie Hawkins did front a couple of groups too as lead singer (group names escape me at the moment - I'm still a little tired and emotional after Cleethorpes madness :wicked:

Hope this is helpful Gene - Neil Jones.

Hiya Neil , thought this "handle" was Terry's never mind atb Stevie z only play originals though. :P
Social source share

Thanks for shedding some light on this for us Neil! I had no idea about the Chuck Willis version of this.

I've got an issue on green Columbia, and absolutely love it! Trouble is, when I did a search on it, I couldn't find any links soul/mod/rnb wise at all!

Gene

Social source share

I heard Alice Fowkes play this track at Stow-A-Way Soul a few months ago. Quite amazed to hear it actually, I remember it when I was at school. It was called rock'n'roll then, but what's in a name? As has been said, based on What'cha Gonna Do by Chuck Willis. Ronnie's backing group was the Hawks, who later became Levon & The Hawks, and later the Band.

Alice played his version of Mary Lou, the Young Jesse record recently.

I've never been to the Hideaway unfortunately, but it is the sort of track I'd expect to hear there.

So Gene, will you be playing this at Solid Hit Soul on Friday?

Social source share

Would say the U.S. one only fetches about £20 nowadays.

Worth more on U.K. Gene (probably £40 ish)

Had a version by an artist called 'Falcon' on Crusade Records a few years back that was okay.

If you like this tune check out 'Tender Love' by Tommy Jay on Hi.

Regards

Mace.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert