News: BBC2 Culture Show - Northern Soul Tonite Wed 25th Sept 2013

Mike

For a half hour show they must have filmed about twenty hours, would be nice to see some of the stuff that got edited out. Cheers John

I reckon they have much more than 20 hours. They got loads of great footage and we've only seen a tiny percentage thus far. If this show finds an audience, then watch this space...

Ian D :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

well..i'll chuck my two penneth in..it had a resonance of the 1977 doc..in that it disappointed..sorry..(i remember feeling very disappointed in '77 when i watched this England air.).this was a decent effort but, every filmic attempt still has a comedy element..it reminded me at times of those awful rock n roll reunions where really old buggers still dressed like teenagers.No programme, film or otherwise has ever successfully managed to transmit just how cool it was to be into northern soul 1972-74 possibly 75.Any one not into northern can do a daft impression of a northern soul fan ( like flat caps and pigeons)..never the cool stuff..it was a decent effort and explains some of the complexities of NS especially to those who are unfamiliar , particularly americans..but always falls short.You need the arena production team to do it justice..highlights..Dave Withers, and the young souls..lows..the fancy dress aspect and i found the scottish girls comments way off the mark..Kung fu?..bollocks!!!..the dance moves came from UK hipsters imitating the soul performers of the 60's..(ps Searling always comes across well)..5/10...could do better..

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just watched here in the Soul desert that is Canada so we both enjoyed it.

It was nice to see 2 people in the media who were actually there and did it and their passion shone through.

Canada, you are lucky , we are the only 2 soulies here in panama!  anyway, we found it enjoyable, especially compared to some of the other tv efforts about the scene. as many have said 30 mins was too short.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

A link here to more of  the RS interview

https://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/0/24164508

Re:Culture Show

Well done Paul Mason good prospective of northern soul most came across positive in my eyes of someone who was into the music and went back also a nice touch showing the up and coming younger interest not just about the past although 40th Wigan ann it may be of an interest for people seeing the show for the first time and not knowing about the northern soul underground culture that still carries on today-interesting interview that wasn't shown with Mr Searling always great stories from him - nice to see the Cambridge Soul badge in the show

Social source share

"Less is more"...the less the general public knew about it the more it was exclusive

What used to be a genuine cool and underground soul scene could have done without naff films embarrassing tv shows and tat advertising imho but there again nothing lasts forever....shame its now lost that "something"

Social source share

seems like it might have had a (brief) effect though..a nite in weston i play at was the busiest weve been in two years with lots of new faces..could be a coinscidence

but

seen a lot of posts on FB about people going to their first nighter in 30 years this weekend (stoke) and posting tunes THEY ! havnt heard in years..most signing off with KTF ?.. :huh: obviously not for the last 30 though! :wink:

but

fair play if theyre back for good and maybe willing to listen to some 'new' stuff..its all good i suppose

dean

Social source share

seems like it might have had a (brief) effect though..a nite in weston i play at was the busiest weve been in two years with lots of new faces..could be a coinscidence

but

seen a lot of posts on FB about people going to their first nighter in 30 years this weekend (stoke) and posting tunes THEY ! havnt heard in years..most signing off with KTF ?.. :huh: obviously not for the last 30 though! :wink:

but

fair play if theyre back for good and maybe willing to listen to some 'new' stuff..its all good i suppose

It's a big ask :wink:

Social source share

More product to feed the nostalgia boom ..............

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Club-Soul-Vol-3-Catacombs-1968-74/dp/B00E4V0BWI/ref=pd_sim_b_2

The Catacombs Temple Street, Wolverhampton 1968-74 The Original Sound Of Northern Soul, Popcorn And R&B 'The sounds hit you like a ton of dynamite and stayed with you. You remembered what you heard at The Cats. We took what had gone before, what was happening now, and set the template for what was to follow at The Torch, Wigan and beyond, and it's still following today! Basil, (aka Paul Grainger, former Catacombs DJ) The Catacombs club in Wolverhampton was one of the UK's premier rare soul clubs. An upstairs venue, housed in an old lead smelting works, what it lacked in glamour it more than made up for in influence and during the late sixties and early seventies The Cats was responsible for introducing many future Northern Soul anthems to the UK. This new compilation collects some of the classic tracks that would have been played at the time. The 28 tracks include gems from Bobby Womack, Gene Chandler, P.P. Arnold and more.

Social source share

Guest Antony

I agree with some of the earlier comments, You get to see the same old stuff! Refreshing to see towards the end the younger generation getting involved (Wigan Young Souls).

I think they should run a documentary about to-days scene and where its going to go?

All In all not bad show, but could have done to be an hour. I liked the way the came at the subject from a different angle, but eventually you get to the crooks of the thing and its the same old material. Although from a new Soulie perspective it was a "Idiots Guide to Northern Soul" in a nutshell.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Whats the venue - Church - Location at which the interview takes place ?

Leopard print - Took me back ( But only as far as the Rovers Return.

Watched it four times - Still practicing some of the moves !

Social source share

Guest rosiesouledout

Brought back my youth in a flash and made me glad I gave so much of my life to soul music.. So much more to the scene that still needs to be told but a decent effort and did not have to watch it through my fingers... 7.5/ 10..... I am still waiting for that true feeling I felt then and still feel now to be shown and captured on film....

Spot on mate. I think this kids got it r8 here! good revue

https://woodtalcandmrj.com/2013/10/04/northern-soul-is-all-about-emotional-truth-and-what-life-should-be-like-paul-mason-the-culture-show-201314-episode-11-a-review/

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!