Don't Know It =don't Like It ?

Just been looking at "If i were a dj"(would be agood set BTW)

Which touches on something that 's been winding me up a bit.

AND I don't want to open that can of worms again but...........

Was out on Saturday ( see elsewhere )

2 guests on.

One played a fair bit of stuff that I'm not familiar with, at least 90% of I liked and would like to hear again.

The other mainly oldies, but not stuff that's been done to death.

So walkin' round asking opinions, like you do,

I gets told ---Ooh didn't like the other fella I didn't know many of 'em,

by a couple of folks.

So does just because you don't know em mean you automatically don't like 'em?????

AS George Clinton once said

"Free your Mind and your Ass will follow"

Thoughts at all

Tony

Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest NASHEE

2 guests on.

One played a fair bit of stuff that I'm not familiar with, at least 90% of I liked and would like to hear again.

by a couple of folks.

So does just because you don't know em mean you automatically don't like 'em?????

Thoughts at all

Tony

I agree with george clinton....listen first...then decide

Social source share

Which touches me up a bit AND that can of worms again.

One played a fair bit of stuff that I'm not familiar with, at least 90% of I liked and would like to hear again. The other mainly oldies, but not stuff that's been done to death.

AS George Clinton once said "Free your Gerbel and your Ass will follow"

That's the beauty of the Northern Soul scene, hearing things for the 1st time.

Don't know many soul fans who are not open to new sounds, proviso being

that a) They are actually soul sounds cool.gif They make you wanna dance or

stick your tongue down someone throat c) The DJ's tells whom it is.

Chris L

Social source share

Like i said on a post last week ... EVERY RECORD WAS A NEW RECORD THE FIRST TIME YOU HEARD IT ... every single one!

No matter what record it is .... you didn't know it at one time.

So i really don't get why people aren't open to hearing new tunes..... surely they had to be at one time to know the records they know now ...

.........if you know what i mean ... thumbsup.gif

Social source share

That's the beauty of the Northern Soul scene, hearing things for the 1st time.

Don't know many soul fans who are not open to new sounds, proviso being

that a) They are actually soul sounds cool.gif They make you wanna dance or

stick your tongue down someone throat c) The DJ's tells whom it is.

Chris L

Be asurred---twas all Soul.

AND How do you dance with your tongue down someone's throat????? thumbsup.gif

Tony

Social source share

Guest andycambs

I've got friends who regularly admit to not liking some dj's or not enjoying certain events because "they don't know the music". Were they born knowing the stuff they already know then? surely not, all the tunes were new to all of us at some point. Sad but true.

Social source share

Like i said on a post last week ... EVERY RECORD WAS A NEW RECORD THE FIRST TIME YOU HEARD IT ... every single one!

No matter what record it is .... you didn't know it at one time.

So i really don't get why people aren't open to hearing new tunes..... surely they had to be at one time to know the records they know now ...

.........if you know what i mean ... thumbsup.gif

NO!

I don't know what you mean AND I don't like it!!! :shades::P:shades:

Tony

Social source share

2 guests on.

by a couple of folks.

Thoughts at all

Tony

Hi Tony, I bet you posted this knowing it would reel me in :wicked:

Being a collector/Dj IMHO I constantly seek new tunes to me...that I believe will also be new to others ...A few weeks ago played a tune out and someone arrives at the decks to say " I don't like this"...I reply "yes ,but you have had the opportunity to make that decision 'cos you had not heard it before".....I Love hearing ,what potentially ,I may not have heard before,particularly from the sixties early seventies........

It seems as tho' fewer and fewer want very much other than the known IMO.ATB Steve

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I have only been back on the scene for a few years but believe me the scene has changed for me in the kent area big time, i first started listening to all of my old stuff that i new oh so well, i then started to go to a few doo`s in london and hit the northern rooms on scooter rally weekends etc etc, and can i honestly say that just about everything i was hearing was nearly all new to me as the music had kept being discovered and played and if anything a lot more soulful than what i was used too imo, without the chance of hearing new stuff you might not know what great tunes you may be missing out on, i now have bought sh*t loads more new tunes and just cant stop buying week in week out, but at the same time i dont like all ive heard but that is only a matter of taste, to me if its old, new, rare,fast, slow, i dont care as my taste is probably different to the majority and i know what i like but i would never knock a dj. if you do your homework and get to know what dj plays what you can then decide what venue would suit your taste better, simple as that to me if your a choosy bugger.

DONT KNOCK IT ENJOY IT :P

BEARSY. :wicked:

Social source share

Hi Tony, I bet you posted this knowing it would reel me in :wicked:

Being a collector/Dj IMHO I constantly seek new tunes to me...that I believe will also be new to others ...A few weeks ago played a tune out and someone arrives at the decks to say " I don't like this"...I reply "yes ,but you have had the opportunity to make that decision 'cos you had not heard it before".....I Love hearing ,what potentially ,I may not have heard before,particularly from the sixties early seventies........

It seems as tho' fewer and fewer want very much other than the known IMO.ATB Steve

Social source share

I have only been back on the scene for a few years but believe me the scene has changed for me in the kent area big time, i first started listening to all of my old stuff that i new oh so well, i then started to go to a few doo`s in london and hit the northern rooms on scooter rally weekends etc etc, and can i honestly say that just about everything i was hearing was nearly all new to me as the music had kept being discovered and played and if anything a lot more soulful than what i was used too imo, without the chance of hearing new stuff you might not know what great tunes you may be missing out on, i now have bought sh*t loads more new tunes and just cant stop buying week in week out, but at the same time i dont like all ive heard but that is only a matter of taste, to me if its old, new, rare,fast, slow, i dont care as my taste is probably different to the majority and i know what i like but i would never knock a dj. if you do your homework and get to know what dj plays what you can then decide what venue would suit your taste better, simple as that to me if your a choosy bugger.

DONT KNOCK IT ENJOY IT :P

BEARSY. :wicked:

WELL SAID BEARSY!!!

I chose to go to the 100 Club in London rather than Stafford in the 80s. The London sounds were more sixties sounding and alot were new to me then. I had a great time and enjoyed the ear candy. More people should listen and enjoy, as an earlier post says ALL THE SOUNDS WERE NEW ONCE.

Dunc

Social source share

by a couple of folks.

Hi Tony If the punters didnt know these, they really need to get out and about a bit more, my playlist shows the 45s are not obscure, except for the cover up.I did get some requests for some terrible oldies (imo) which I didnt have :P and a few requests which I did have and did play. :wicked: Heres my playlist:

D D Warwick Worth every tear I cry

Charles Thomas / Man with the Golden Touch

September Jones / Im coming home

Tina Britt / Look (request)

Entertainers / Love in my Heart

Leo Price / Cover Up (request)

Paulette / Love You baby

Carolyn Crawford / Forget about me

Cissy Houston / Just dont know what to do (request)

Sandy Hollis / Im Tempted (request)

Loretta Williams / Baby cakes (request)

High Keys / Living a Lie

Betty Turner / Be Careful girl

HyTones / You dont even know my name (request)

Velvelettes / A bird in the Hand

Vandellas / One way out (request)

Anita Humes / What did I do (request)

Marv Johnson / With all thats in me (request)

Rose Batiste / I Cant leave you

Tommy Good / Got to get away

Carolines / Cant stop loving the boy (request)

Chris Clark / Sweet loving

Shirley Karol / Just to make you happy

Marv Johnson / Come on & stop (request)

Ruby Winters / Better (request)

Barbara Lewis / I remember the feeling

Secrets / Here I am

Edited by soul45s
Social source share

the main reason i go out is for the dont know thems how else do you find stuff you want to buy.

i hate the mentality of the people who dismiss something because they dont know it.

as your george clinton title says.

mark

Edited by mark.b
Social source share

Guest tonytone

:lol: I'll go along with that, I like to hear rare, with the odd classic dropped in!

soul on guy's xxxxx

Social source share

in a few months the moaning gits will have heard the unknown choon so much it will be a played out oldie....then it is acceptable...or if someone mentions ooooh so and so is playing a fab new choon...wether they like it or not like lemmings they will accept it....erm if you know what i mean :D

cookie :lol:

Social source share

Guest tonytone

:shades: I'll go along with that, I like to hear rare, with the odd classic dropped in!

soul on guy's xxxxx

:D ps don't forget "we got soul" Wellingborough wmc June 30th :lol:
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!