soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 21
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest dudleysteve

Thanks to Rowly for playing this out at Cleethorpes...now wanted!, decent copy please. pm me if you have one for sale,

Lenny

Got my copy a couple of years back from Rob Messer, check with him, as he regularly turns up copies.

Excellent version, and part of a great set by Rowly on friday night.

Steve

Edited by dudleysteve
Social source share

Guest NASHEE

heard this played at Shake Down @ Stafford by Ted ( i think?) Great choon :wicked:

Yeh...Ted played it at Shakedown....and I know he wouldn't part with his copy

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Fantastic record, was hammered at mod clubs in the late eighties if I remember right, there are a few versions by him but I think this is the best one, the others tend to be acoustic . Think his version of Shake It Baby is on the flip and pretty decent, although the Junior Wells version was more likely played at the time. Does that or Stomach Ache get plays nowadays?

Hate to rub it in but in the early ebay days I got this and 11 other good RnB 45s in a bulk auction for $7.00! Happy days and thanks to Pete Smith for sending me the link to ebay when I was working late, I think it was because Wolves just got promoted and he was somewhat merry!

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

How much is it selling for now?

Ted recons he paid £40....but he's seen it for more....he was also told that there is boots of it floating around

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

How much is it selling for now?

Ted recons he paid £40....but he's seen it for more....he was also told that there is boots of it floating around

Boots? whistling.gif Surely there isn't enough demand to boot it? Like many records used to be fairly easy to get, no idea what the score is now, thought it'd still be a tenner max. Buy the LP, it was reissued as well, its great, and save a stack of money. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest dudleysteve

Boots? whistling.gif Surely there isn't enough demand to boot it? Like many records used to be fairly easy to get, no idea what the score is now, thought it'd still be a tenner max. Buy the LP, it was reissued as well, its great, and save a stack of money. :thumbsup:

Usually sells for £15 - £20. Never seen a bootleg of it though.

Steve Wright

Social source share

Guest Rowly

Fantastic record, was hammered at mod clubs in the late eighties if I remember right, there are a few versions by him but I think this is the best one, the others tend to be acoustic . Think his version of Shake It Baby is on the flip and pretty decent, although the Junior Wells version was more likely played at the time. Does that or Stomach Ache get plays nowadays?

Hate to rub it in but in the early ebay days I got this and 11 other good RnB 45s in a bulk auction for $7.00! Happy days and thanks to Pete Smith for sending me the link to ebay when I was working late, I think it was because Wolves just got promoted and he was somewhat merry!

The flipside is a version of Bottle Up & Go, Stuart. I play "Shake it Baby" & "Stomach Ache" off the "It's My Life" LP out occasionally. I play out the stonkingly good "Checkin on My Baby" more regularly tho! (Played it in the same set as JLH Money at Cleethorpes as it happens!) Shame it's only on this LP & not on 45.!

Getting back to JLH tho..... I think £30 - £40 is nearer the current value than £15 - £20 Wrighty.... it's still well in demand!

I'd be well surprised if it's been booted tho!

Edited by Rowly
Social source share

Guest Stuart T

I play out the stonkingly good "Checkin on My Baby" more regularly tho! (Played it in the same set as JLH Money at Cleethorpes as it happens!) Shame it's only on this LP & not on 45.!

Top tune! You sure there is no 45? Thought there was a European one? Cannot remember for sure but was under the impression someone used to play it on a 45, never saw it up close. The JLH version of SIB is on the LP not the single, thats right, on a continental 45 as well, got that somewhere, but may be a slightly different version. Never remember sod all about this stuff unless I have the records in front of me!

Social source share

There are at least 4 versions of COMB by Junior Wells, all only on LP, one on the Lp Rowly mentioned earlier 'It's My Life' and a different one on 'Coming At You' both on Vanguard. There's also a great live version on the 1970 LP called the Chicago Blues and some 70's version's as well. Also good is Crazy Music by Buddy Guy, at least this is on 45, far superior to that track about a funny wig! which doesn't contain any trademark guitar licks!

Social source share

There are at least 4 versions of COMB by Junior Wells, all only on LP, one on the Lp Rowly mentioned earlier 'It's My Life' and a different one on 'Coming At You' both on Vanguard. There's also a great live version on the 1970 LP called the Chicago Blues and some 70's version's as well. Also good is Crazy Music by Buddy Guy, at least this is on 45, far superior to that track about a funny wig! which doesn't contain any trademark guitar licks!

The original version of COMB is by Sonny Boy Williamson and came out over here on a Pye EP. On a checker 45 in the States but I've not been able to track one down

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Asked a friend, the 45 version was on a blank test pressing, possibly UK, so may never have come out, a real rarety most likely. Buddy Guy fave for me is Every Girl I See. I like the Wig song! Another good record in that sort of vein is Mama Look At Me by The Elites on Chief, backed with the highly dubious and tasteless Jack The Ripper (which refers to a cat named Jack in Old London Town, complete with Dick Van Duyke style cockney impressions "Gaw damn this blarsted fawg!", bad enough to be hilarious!).

Social source share

I've missed out on a few copies in the last year...have to stick with my Barrett Strong version. Anyway Lenny whats with this R&B stuff :D

Hi Martin,

always liked a bit of rnb from time to time, feel myself being strangely drawn to it at the moment...maybe an old mod thing :lol: , hope you are well mate,

Lenny

Social source share

Asked a friend, the 45 version was on a blank test pressing, possibly UK, so may never have come out, a real rarety most likely. Buddy Guy fave for me is Every Girl I See. I like the Wig song! Another good record in that sort of vein is Mama Look At Me by The Elites on Chief, backed with the highly dubious and tasteless Jack The Ripper (which refers to a cat named Jack in Old London Town, complete with Dick Van Duyke style cockney impressions "Gaw damn this blarsted fawg!", bad enough to be hilarious!).

[/quote

This brought back memories there used to be a Travis Wammack record played down the wheel called "Distortion Part II" that started with "Well blast this fog anyhow" spoken in a posh type british accent the rest being an instrumental a la scratchy, had a copy once on ARA haven't seen one since,wouldn't mind a copy, purely for nostalgic reasons you understand!!

Apologies for going off thread on this. :thumbsup:

Derek.

Social source share

Guest dudleysteve

Getting back to JLH tho..... I think £30 - £40 is nearer the current value than £15 - £20 Wrighty.... it's still well in demand!

It was on a list i received last month for £18. Think i should have bought it, to sell on, as it was obviously a bargain!!

Steve Wright

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

i didn't think i'd seen this come up too often so had a look at popsike and one went in 2005 for $81 if that is a truer indication of current value or not

Edited by dundeedavie
Social source share