Ugly Rumors

Breaks my heart to have to post this up but it seems someone out there has got a grudge against several South Yorkshire venues at the moment.

There seems to be a lot of rumors flying round at the moment that certain nights have been cancelled.

This first came to my attention last month when we recieved loads of calls before our last Modernism night last month asking if we were still on as people had recieved text messages saying we were cancelled.

We couldn't understand why they were sent or who sent them.

Things really got silly last weekend when the rumors got right out of hand.

I recieved a text on Friday saying the Red Lion modern night at Todwick was cancelled due to a double booking. The text was apparently sent by 1 of the promoters (Geoff) & his name appeared on the end of the message. Geoff is a friend of mine so i knew it was not his number so i phoned the venue & they told me it was definitely on.

The same rumors have been circulating about Ponds Forge recently as Mark (Vaultofsouler on here) has just been speaking to me about this.

On Saturday night i went to the KGB in Sheffield & the promoter Barry told me a similar thing has happened to his night. Sorry about the language but for fucks sake, all profits from this night go to a charity that raises money for kids with cancer. Justify that.

The music policies of the 4 venues couldn't be more different as Modernism & the Red Lion are modern nights, Ponds Forge is an across the board northern night & the KGB is a 60s soul & Motown night so there's no reason there.

I have spoke to the promoters of all the mentioned venues & this post has gone up with there blessing.

All we want to know is why this is happening & who is doing it so if any of you have any info please pm me the details if you don't want to post them on the site.

Lastly can i just say that all the nights mentioned are quite definitely on for the forseeable future so if you do recieve any of these messages please phone the promoters or venues up 1st just to re-assure yourself before travelling.

Thanks for reading this,

Mart...

Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Breaks my heart to have to post this up but it seems someone out there has got a grudge against several South Yorkshire venues at the moment.

There seems to be a lot of rumors flying round at the moment that certain nights have been cancelled.

This first came to my attention last month when we recieved loads of calls before our last Modernism night last month asking if we were still on as people had recieved text messages saying we were cancelled.

I recieved a text on Friday saying the Red Lion modern night at Todwick was cancelled due to a double booking. The text was apparently sent by 1 of the promoters (Geoff) & his name appeared on the end of the message. Geoff is a friend of mine so i knew it was not his number so i phoned the venue & they told me it was definitely on.

The same rumors have been circulating about Ponds Forge recently as Mark (Vaultofsouler on here) has just been speaking to me about this.

On Saturday night i went to the KGB in Sheffield & the promoter Barry told me a similar thing has happened to his night. Sorry about the language but for fucks sake, all profits from this night go to a charity that raises money for kids with cancer. Justify that.

The music policies of the 4 venues couldn't be more different as Modernism & the Red Lion are modern nights, Ponds Forge is an across the board northern night & the KGB is a 60s soul & Motown night so there's no reason there.

I have spoke to the promoters of all the mentioned venues & this post has gone up with there blessing.

All we want to know is why this is happening & who is doing it so if any of you have any info please pm me the details if you don't want to post them on the site.

Lastly can i just say that all the nights mentioned are quite definitely on for the forseeable future so if you do recieve any of these messages please phone the promoters or venues up 1st just to re-assure yourself before travelling.

Thanks for reading this,

Mart...

Hi Mart ,wish I,could help,will ask around .

Is this the real end of the wedge for us .....money comes before soul and great causes.

Who seems to be doing this ?For the last few months witnessed and read and had mates telling me of this despicable behaviour.....Hope you find out and let us all know who is behind this.ATB Steve

Social source share

bizarre

have you tried spinning the phone number to get a name and address, on the basis that it's not a pay as you go?

also, was any other promoter promoting on the same nights?

Social source share

bizarre

have you tried spinning the phone number to get a name and address, on the basis that it's not a pay as you go?

also, was any other promoter promoting on the same nights?

Tried ringing the number several times Dan & it's always turned off.

Regarding other promoters all the South Yorkshire lads have always tried to avoid clashes in the past & have always got on pretty well with each other so i don't think it's that.

Mart...

Social source share

Tried ringing the number several times Dan & it's always turned off.

Regarding other promoters all the South Yorkshire lads have always tried to avoid clashes in the past & have always got on pretty well with each other so i don't think it's that.

Mart...

depends how bothered you are martin but for not very many quid a private investigator from the yellow pages will probably be able to tell you who the phone belongs to. (more difficult if it's a pay as you go obviously.) can also give you lists of numbers they've called.

legal disclaimer: check if this is legal before you do it (if you do) as i have no idea whether it is or not :wicked:

incredible

id say we need more modern soul nights not less

ah! modern nights, is it? pete smith's prime suspect then :P

Social source share

incredible

id say we need more modern soul nights not less

good luck guys sounds like youve got a great scene over there

hope it stays healthy and vibrant

all the best and good luck for saturday

sean oconnor

www.seasidesoul.co.uk

Not really a case of more modern nights Sean.

2 of the venues are modern nights but 1 of the others is an across the board northern night & the other is a classic 60s soul night.

Thanks for the regards for our next night but it's this Friday, not Saturday.

Social source share

Thanks for reading this,

Mart...

This is just a thought but has anyone considered that this is being done by someone not connected to the soul scene?

Anyone can follow the debates on here and if you have no love for the music and the scene then maybe, just maybe, someone is creating a lot of strife and bitterness between

soulies (however famous or not) and loving every minute of it! Maybe it's being done 'just for the hell of it' and not for personal gain or the advancement of one strand of the music over another as the motivation!

Seems to me that lots of people who have the scene as a core part of their lives (social or buisness) are falling out and looking back within the scene for the answers. Maybe it's much less sinister?!

Like I said, just a thought or am I being naive? :wicked:

Oh, and before any paranoid-androids get going, I don't even own a mobile phone! :P:wicked:

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

This is just a thought but has anyone considered that this is being done by someone not connected to the soul scene?

Anyone can follow the debates on here and if you have no love for the music and the scene then maybe, just maybe, someone is creating a lot of strife and bitterness between

soulies (however famous or not) and loving every minute of it! Maybe it's being done 'just for the hell of it' and not for personal gain or the advancement of one strand of the music over another as the motivation!

Seems to me that lots of people who have the scene as a core part of their lives (social or buisness) are falling out and looking back within the scene for the answers. Maybe it's much less sinister?!

Like I said, just a thought or am I being naive? :wicked:

Oh, and before any paranoid-androids get going, I don't even own a mobile phone! :P:wicked:

KTF.

Drew.

Drew,

Whoever is doing this is spending money texting people telling them certain venues in South Yorkshire are cancelled. If they are not connected to the scene, why waste money, and how the hell do they get peoples mobile numbers ?

Methinks someone trying to start a venue in this area could be to blame.

Have to wait and see what the future brings .

Social source share

Drew,

Whoever is doing this is spending money texting people telling them certain venues in South Yorkshire are cancelled. If they are not connected to the scene, why waste money, and how the hell do they get peoples mobile numbers ?

Methinks someone trying to start a venue in this area could be to blame.

Have to wait and see what the future brings .

:wicked: and hope it gets sorted out Steve.

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

as for who it is I'm not really bothered and feel it's best ignored, who ever it is it'll not work again, it didn't the first time. I personally think it's also not to good for the other promoters to be seen getting into a witch hunt - you get down to the level of whoever's sent the texts. Like i say it's done now no harm to our night or other's really. getting involved in a big 'who dunnit' just creates a bigger thing out of it for people than the original texts did. let it go. we have. running a night anywhere makes you feel insecure at times, no matter how successful it is. it's not just the money it's more to do with investing yourself and your personal time . we can understand anyone who has that gut worrying feeling. but the key is to support one another. we are all in the same boat.it's a dangerous thing to start bandying names about because innocent folk get dragged into it. let it go. sue burgess - www.modernsoul.net

Social source share

this is just bizarre, there are some very wierd people about. Also lots of selfish, jealous and greedy ones as well who would rather try and put to boot into somebody else's established night than support it and work along side it. Happens all over the country to some extent, but this is the worst I have ever heard of. let's hope it doesn't fool too many people.

Martin

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!