Poll: Bbc Culture Show - Northern Soul - Your Take ?

Mike

BBC2 Culture Show - Northern Soul  

1. 1. BBC2 Culture - Northern Soul - My rating ...

• five stars
    • four stars
    • three stars
    • two stars
    • one star

"If you think about it - It's cool that 'they' get it wrong isn't it?" :wink:

What is not cool is appearing in the films and the TV programmes in the first place imho.

Edited by BAKUNIN
Social source share

Bog off I,m the best person on the Northern soul scene . :shhh:

"No, I'm Spartacus!" :D.......Doh! Tw*t. tw*t, tw*t!!! ...Edit - I now hate you Steve G........ :wink:

.....still catching up folkz :wink:

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Hi Alison, would that be the documentary film leading up to the launch of his first album? If it is it's fantastic! Truly inspiring given his life experiences. 

Hi there 

It was that one  :thumbsup:   

The grittiness of the documentary had me hooked, his journey at the tender age of 62 is something else :thumbsup:  though when his neighbour from the Projects commented on him making it into the New York Post with  "Keep the Faith & never stop believing"   I thought I can't flipping get away from this Northern Soul Insanity  :facepalm:  :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

:lol: No, Northern insanity never leaves you, you should know this Alison x Thought it was the film I have, brilliant, and Sharon Jones features in there as well, god love Dap Tone. BTW have a great pic of you and the other half at one of the Plinston MBM events getting jiggy wit it (hey, I'm down with the kids sister) I shall be uploading into the MBM gallery on my page tomorrow so look out for that one. If only I was still doing the trading cards LOL :wicked:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

This has been an awful week for the soul scene, in my opinion, & if it wasn't for the Marvin Gaye & Charles Bradley documentary last night, I'd be doing an Eddie Parker  :(

Regards

Ali x

I know what you mean Alison, I've been a 'Crying Clown' many times......... :(:huh: :D  

.......Seriously though - sadly many of who I see as the scene do feel like this at times, and as 'Tricky' pointed out, lot's of those did leave in the 80's......but there's still lots of us left - and we'd miss you if you were 'Gone' (See, I did getcha) :wink: 

All the best,

P.s - I've nearly caught up, and I officially ran out of likes at Alison's post, so anyone after that - consider yaself 'liked'....In other words - I am enjoying the thread :wink: 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

:lol: No, Northern insanity never leaves you, you should know this Alison x Thought it was the film I have, brilliant, and Sharon Jones features in there as well, god love Dap Tone. BTW have a great pic of you and the other half at one of the Plinston MBM events getting jiggy wit it (hey, I'm down with the kids sister) I shall be uploading into the MBM gallery on my page tomorrow so look out for that one. If only I was still doing the trading cards LOL :wicked:

Great pic of me & your other half?  or me & an "other" half.  Either way, I don't think it's me, not sure where Plinston is (sorry I'm a thick Northerner, & I don't think it's up here)

You might be getting me mixed up with Ang Barnes who's now with Steve from Plymouth,Portsmouth,Southampton .... somewhere boaty  :D   People are often getting us mixed up, lovely girl who I class as my Sis, and is much better at getting jiggy in public than I am  :D

Social source share

I know what you mean Alison, I've been a 'Crying Clown' many times......... :(:huh: :D  

.......Seriously though - sadly many of who I see as the scene do feel like this at times, and as Tricky' pointed out, lot's of those did leave in the 80's......but there's still lots of us left - and we'd miss you if you were 'Gone' (See, I did getcha) :wink: 

All the best,

P.s - I've nearly caught up, and I officially ran out of likes at Alison's post, so anyone after that - consider yaself 'liked'....In other words - I am enjoying the thread :wink: 

Well it looks like you're stuck with me then  :rolleyes:

Just ignore my negative comment earlier, I was being silly, I've never left the scene, & I never will  :D

Edited by Alison H
Social source share

Well it looks like you're stuck with me then  :rolleyes:

Just ignore my negative comment earlier, I was being silly, I've never left the scene, & I never will  :D

'like' :wink: 

Night folks - looking forward to tomorrow's pointless discussions :D 

All the best,

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Great pic of me & your other half?  or me & an "other" half.  Either way, I don't think it's me, not sure where Plinston is (sorry I'm a thick Northerner, & I don't think it's up here)

You might be getting me mixed up with Ang Barnes who's now with Steve from Plymouth,Portsmouth,Southampton .... somewhere boaty  :D   People are often getting us mixed up, lovely girl who I class as my Sis, and is much better at getting jiggy in public than I am  :D

Its far too late and I think your right Alison, mistaken identity lol Joys of getting old 

Edited by TheBigO
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm amazed it left you feeling depressed, the minute it finished I went in to Davina and said I want to go to an allnighter and get smashed, it really made me feel like going out again.  Till about an hour later when I realised I couldn't be bothered.

:hatsoff2: Hi All  Nice one Pete as I am old school, All- Nighters only exist so people could get high, a fact that the SOHO late night cafes & juke box clubs started just to cater for the BENZODRINE & CHINESE H users, all music scenes that play American influenced music, I have never been straight at a soul event, as it complements the music (it fits like a glove) and it is much safer than Alcohol a drug that wrecks lives daily and is a killer, the vast majority of users of speed are recreational users for the reason given, there are very few people who use speed daily like myself, these people are addicted to the drug however this is rare in 2013 I am unaware of anybody on a dexamfetimine script, again I would rather see the few heavy users on a script than using chemicals that are used to clean drains and make batteries I use because I am old school hard core that don't give a monkeys, I have done my bit, for society, however I was better of robbing chemist shops :thumbsup: hope I die before I get old :yes: DAVE K   

Social source share

:hatsoff2: Hi All  Nice one Pete as I am old school, All- Nighters only exist so people could get high, a fact that the SOHO late night cafes & juke box clubs started just to cater for the BENZODRINE & CHINESE H users, all music scenes that play American influenced music, I have never been straight at a soul event, as it complements the music (it fits like a glove) and it is much safer than Alcohol a drug that wrecks lives daily and is a killer, the vast majority of users of speed are recreational users for the reason given, there are very few people who use speed daily like myself, these people are addicted to the drug however this is rare in 2013 I am unaware of anybody on a dexamfetimine script, again I would rather see the few heavy users on a script than using chemicals that are used to clean drains and make batteries I use because I am old school hard core that don't give a monkeys, I have done my bit, for society, however I was better of robbing chemist shops :thumbsup: hope I die before I get old :yes: DAVE K   

How do you know if you've never been straight at a do? One of my ex-employees says he is the only geezer in his county to have a permanent speed prescrition.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

:hatsoff2: Hi All. ADY is right to ask the question "how do I know" well although

How do you know if you've never been straight at a do? One of my ex-employees says he is the only geezer in his county to have a permanent speed prescrition.

the gist is very true, there has been times of abstinence, like when I dropped of the scene in 78 to get my act together, recovery for myself meant I had to deprive all the triggers that set me off to use, the hardest part has been to limit my consumption, especially how I used to use speed that  was by iv, The 7ts soul scene was very quadraphonic for me despite getting HEP non A non B (HEP C) 3 drug busts, record box stolen while having  a fix, by my mate (Chris G) ending in 79 with a prison sentence for an affray,

As soon as I returned to the scene the drug use returned, over the years when I get myself into situation out of my control, I tend to internalise the issues and self medicate, however I always get myself into treatment, by being on a script, has taken away the IV use, by doing so, and by being open & transparent, I have receive a script DEXAMFETAMINE SULPHATE 10X5mg daily, there are quite a few people that we all know would benefit from being on a script, the  reason why they are not is twofold a) where you live the NHS is regional and drug treatment is not high on the list when they look at their budget, the true facts it cost the NHS £1.70 per week for my tablets, so when it comes down to the facts of scripting long term users the impact on the budget is nothing compared with the treatment for alcoholism, b)the last in depth survey by the dept of health into amphetamine use was over 10 years ago, when the recommendations were to encourage speed users back into treatment, yet it is the opposite of this that is the norm in most of the country, Manchester & Liverpool health are the exceptions and treat many long term users. 

The fact that most health regions don't prescribe is a) they see the situation as giving  like for like, & of little benefit, b) they see the use of speed as non addictive, recreational drug use with heavy use lasting for about 2 . , & users in the main using with others in small groups, mainly younger people,

This approach is a load of bollocks and does not promote harm reduction, over the years I have lost many good friends because the only options open to them was the street drug scene which is available 24/7 were as treatment is limited to selective opening hours, staffed by RMN NURSES WHO ARE NOT TRAINED IN ADDICTION AND TREAT EVERYBODY AS IF THERE PROBLEM WAS OPIATE, They can't think out of the box, it is also a fact that many staff use drugs & alcohol in their private lives, you would be surprised at the number of staff that have themselves got busted for dealing to their client's, to conclude for many people the scene has always triggered of the use of speed, however there is a small number like myself, I am lucky that I get support, and it is the duty of all members of our scene to take an adult approach to the many users, as it does not take much to start using again.

If you know anyone with a drug problem or you have a problem as a user or as a parent of drug using kids & need advice but don't no who to ask just PM myself I will give you proper advise and a confidential safe way, I am a qualified counsellor in addiction working for the NHS & VOLUNTRY SECTORS, with 20 years of practice, :thumbsup: DAVE (DtheDRUG) K 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

:hatsoff2: Hi All. ADY is right to ask the question "how do I know" well although

the gist is very true, there has been times of abstinence, like when I dropped of the scene in 78 to get my act together, recovery for myself meant I had to deprive all the triggers that set me off to use, the hardest part has been to limit my consumption, especially how I used to use speed that  was by iv, The 7ts soul scene was very quadraphonic for me despite getting HEP non A non B (HEP C) 3 drug busts, record box stolen while having  a fix, by my mate (Chris G) ending in 79 with a prison sentence for an affray,

As soon as I returned to the scene the drug use returned, over the years when I get myself into situation out of my control, I tend to internalise the issues and self medicate, however I always get myself into treatment, by being on a script, has taken away the IV use, by doing so, and by being open & transparent, I have receive a script DEXAMFETAMINE SULPHATE 10X5mg daily, there are quite a few people that we all know would benefit from being on a script, the  reason why they are not is twofold a) where you live the NHS is regional and drug treatment is not high on the list when they look at their budget, the true facts it cost the NHS £1.70 per week for my tablets, so when it comes down to the facts of scripting long term users the impact on the budget is nothing compared with the treatment for alcoholism, b)the last in depth survey by the dept of health into amphetamine use was over 10 years ago, when the recommendations were to encourage speed users back into treatment, yet it is the opposite of this that is the norm in most of the country, Manchester & Liverpool health are the exceptions and treat many long term users. 

The fact that most health regions don't prescribe is a) they see the situation as giving  like for like, & of little benefit, b) they see the use of speed as non addictive, recreational drug use with heavy use lasting for about 2 . , & users in the main using with others in small groups, mainly younger people,

This approach is a load of bollocks and does not promote harm reduction, over the years I have lost many good friends because the only options open to them was the street drug scene which is available 24/7 were as treatment is limited to selective opening hours, staffed by RMN NURSES WHO ARE NOT TRAINED IN ADDICTION AND TREAT EVERYBODY AS IF THERE PROBLEM WAS OPIATE, They can't think out of the box, it is also a fact that many staff use drugs & alcohol in their private lives, you would be surprised at the number of staff that have themselves got busted for dealing to their client's, to conclude for many people the scene has always triggered of the use of speed, however there is a small number like myself, I am lucky that I get support, and it is the duty of all members of our scene to take an adult approach to the many users, as it does not take much to start using again.

If you know anyone with a drug problem or you have a problem as a user or as a parent of drug using kids & need advice but don't no who to ask just PM myself I will give you proper advise and a confidential safe way, I am a qualified counsellor in addiction working for the NHS & VOLUNTRY SECTORS, with 20 years of practice, :thumbsup: DAVE (DtheDRUG) K 

I'm not following most of this Dave, i just asked how would you know if you'd never been straight to a do.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

on tonite @ 2200hrs

here's  a thread and a poll where you can quickly pass on your view and/or rating of tonights BBC2 Culture Show - Northern Soul - Keeping The Faith ....

have done the poll on a rating scale of 1-5

5 being along the lines of tip top 

1 being along the lines of ffs

it was brilliant to watch, just not on long enough for me  ktf

feel free to post your views as well as your rating

:thumbsup:

Social source share

it was brilliant and took me back to the great days :) we are still holding soul nights in our town and they are always still a sell out :) just wish it had been on tv a bit longer :( KTF

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL ,YOUR A ONE ADY, I DO RAMBLE ON, THE ANSWER IS I JUST KNOW :rofl: DAVE K

PS SHOULD I DELETE THE ABOVE OR LEAVE IT AS A PUBLIC MESSAGE? I COULD DO A POLL,

Leave it as a public message - I followed it word for word mate.

Nice one.

All the best,

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Is that 2 or 3 or two thirds Win?  I've never in all the time I've gone to the 100 Club seen two thirds dressed up as though it was 1977.  Odd ones yes but never the majority.  LIke you I don't go very often now, probably once a year so it could have changed.

Sorry Chalks, it should have read 2 or 3, definitely NOT two thirds hahahaha 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Sorry but i don't get any of this cr@p about clothing. I have always thought on OUR scene that nobody was judged, people wear what they want to wear, dance how they want to dance, and like the tunes they like. We are after all, in our own way soulies and it was this friendship that drew me to the scene in the second place (the first being the music). I have Never "dissed" anybody about their attire, favourite tracks Or who their friends are And i don't really expect it from any other "soulies".

Social source share

During my intense learning curve in the 90's...I only came across 1 person who was on a 'script' for Dexadrine,,,,and I'd known him 3 years before me first all-nighter and I had never taken any! He said it would help me stay up all-night! He weren't wrong and it served me well during the next 8/9 years when I needed such support. Being the last DJ on at a Nighter....ritually at Tony's Empress......and being 'with' the people all night dancing meant I needed to be 'on it'....all night as it were! 3 would suffice me without causing grief to anyone through waffling and the like! Unfortunately It didn't do my good 'soul mate' that service anymore after 20 years of daily use. By the time he knecked his last 5 each night....to make his prescribed dose of 60.....YES...60 a day.....he was ready for kip....and slept like a baby. He liked 'Soul' with Geno and Edwin being his guru Soul idols...and indeed friends of his!! He flirted with Northern but veered off towards Pink Floyd/Hendrix as many 'original' Mods did from the 60's!

His story I have touched on in SS before... he was prescribed 60 since the early 70's....and managed to manage himself to require 40 a day.....and swapped the rest for weed.....the only thing that gave him a 'hit'.....! He passed away several years back as his bodily functions caved in eventually. He was a victim of the good work the NHS/Research does. After being paralysed in a scooter accident in the mid 60's aged 15/16....he became a 'guinea pig' for researchers at Stoke Mandeville. During his lengthy coma they had him on a 'speed' drip to assist his body during the 'sabbatical' the coma induced. When leaving in a wheelchair in 1970....he was given a token script to compensate his need for it which he'd developed....naturally! After a few months....he was caught with 1/2lb of gear of sorts trying to get Amphetamine to support his addiction! The Judge in his wisdom ordered he be re-assessed for his addiction.....and afterwards was prescribed...60.....a day.....until his early death in the Mid 2000's.....RIP Dodge...X

medodge.jpg

We travelled the Country together from 1990 to early 2000;s as football fans. Him driving at 90 cracking 5 dexys in 1 hand at a time everywhere AFTER i reminded him to slow down each time! Most Saturday afternoons were spent having this experience before leaving him and jumping into a 17 seater mini-bus to drive us to a Nighter somewhere in the Country! As a comparison.....on weed.........at football...with me mate....was more of a 'buzz''...of sorts....than any all-nighter i had on Dexy's.....!!!!! Hand controls....at 90........and me listening to Dr Hooks 'White Rabbits' on his tape player him humming it..........Northern Soul??? No DJ or Soulie captured my interests or attention as Dodge did down the M11 on matchday.... Lightweights.....honest!!!hehe!x

@@

~

So yes Ady......they are out there still....but only in extreme cases i've found!x

As for going to a doo 'straight'....done it loads of times.....as a Promoter at St Ives.....I was straight EVERY TIME. It weren't a 'party' for me as i;ve said before......it had to be 'business'...or.....folk would have gone home unhappy without my focus and perhaps I could have brought the scene into dis-repute and attract a tag or 'story' that it didn't deserve. But that was my approach. Hated every spot I did...didn't get into it....and yes.....the best memories I have......where when I had no responsibility other than to dance...and entertain you all....which was easy when I was 'launched'...no effort or thought required.......and none of us can remember what I played.....or where we wos....it just 'happened'....and soooo glad it did!x

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

and yes...it is a different experience when on 'gear' I found!...and offer my comment as a result of being able to look at both sides of the debate!x Dave....we have spoken on here before re Dodge....and I repeat again mate....thanx for your input into this serious aspect of the dance scenes that does affect lives when drugs are involved....both positively...which tbf has been my experience...and indeed the extremes of it as my mate Dodge and you Dave have witnessed/experienced.....respects friend...X

..Edit......oh....and I gather my new found knowledge that we learnt dancing from Bruce Lee has little or no real foundation....! Bu**er........I been practising for this week-end...!!x

SOOTYYYYY_zps584cb5d8.jpg

Edited by SOOTY
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Must admit I was a tad disappointed in the show , I really had high expectations that it would take a broader outlook , not just portraying those that like to dress in a tradional way but also portray people that dress in what you would see as the norm in 2013 . I think in making a certain fashion statement program may have detracted what it really is all about , the MUSIC ? 

I also think it should have been made clear that you can dance in whatever way you like in 2013 ...express the music in your own way. 

As usual too many rules come across in these types of programs ....when really there arn't any rules today, because we are all grown up with our own MINDS an opinions.

But having said all that this is just my view of what I would have liked to have seen is a show that portrays more about a soul culture that is happening NOW rather than acting out today what happened THEN ... but then I am not what most are , I never went to Wigan and don't have the passion that others have in remembering it I am afraid.

My post is not wishing to offend or question other peoples beliefs ... its just my opinion , the oppertunity could have been better spent to encourgae new blood in my humble opinion.

Thats a fair reflection but as I said in my assessment of the programme, it was prompted by the anniversary and the film which in itself is a period piece.

On this basis alone it was always, in my opinion, going to be more about THEN with only a slight nod towards NOW.

The ideal scenario would have been to show how significant the 70's had been for the scene and the impact on those who had enjoyed it, and then illustrate how the scene had survived post Wigan and then continued to prosper till today, and not just by reference to ever burgeoning and equally dismaying nostalgia scene.

There is clearly so much more to represent but Im afraid that cannot be done with the limitations set by mainstream media unless programme makers can see valuue beyond these shores.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Because of the focus on the 40 years out of date clothes and the 40 years out of date style of dancing, it was supposed to be about NOW but it looked just like THEN.

Joe Public really must think we haven't moved on since the mid 70's.  Carmen is right, as are all of the other people who've commented on it, why was the focus on the tiny percentage of people who dress and dance retro compared to the thousands and thousands of others who don't walk into Mr Benn's changing room before a night out.

Genius

Social source share

I for got to say, I loved the bit of footage of that lad dancing to "You Should O' held On" and singing every word, living every moment of it, that was great.

I didn't.......but that's only 'cause I don't like the record :ohmy: 

Opinions, opinions, opinions :wink: 

Social source share

"A lot of us don't want to be associated with that view of what the scene is. It's never been about tat merchandise, line dancing steps by numbers or a ridiculous uniform and I don't like the fact that the once private, cool and secret scene image has been hijacked and booted out of the window by people who don't even care."

Try being brown in a white society....AND a Northern Soul fan...!x Never worn baggies when it wos 'in'....yes worn a badge when we printed our Soul Club one on a Fred Perry in the 90's....but have never danced like 'Northern Soul' but do me own thing....and happy with it!x

It still don't stop folk suggesting in my nearly 40 years of following the scene/music that I like The Snake...do back flips....and wear Levi's tops and Crombies......oh and have a beer towel around me waist!x

So....when being called a Paki....which I ain't...or a Black B....as I ain't...i'm a brown one.....then I am reminded that 'sticks and stones will break my bones....but words will never hurt me'....unless said by someone whose whacked me on the head first for being a Paki and saying and adding 'and Norvern Soul is sh*te and the Snake goes on too long'....whilst i'm recovering to consciousness!!!!...which has never happened to a Soulie as yet....I don't think?!x

We choose our influences by Channel. I doubt anyone watching a 'Cultured' show...on BBC 2....will have been mobilised to react like the Kyleite Brigade can passing the cider and butts around whilst being mesmerised by the spectacle of embarressment....! If there are any....they'll announce themselves on Facebook rather than face to face....and from my persepctive...they can come visit......the tune below sez it all......init!x

@@
~
LUV

SOOTY
X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjbXnUzP-mU

Edited by SOOTY
Social source share

I think you're right Gogs on a lot of things here. The friendship and camarardarie (?!!!) has always been there and the crowd always accepting of people who couldn't dance or didn't look like soulies, if you 'got' the music, you belonged, and it didn't matter what other people said or thought as you felt proud to be part of this underground cool movement. The problem is now, all these years later, as other posters on here have pointed out, the coolness has gone and we are now a huge laughing stock for a bewildered public who think they now understand what the Northern Soul scene is. A lot of us don't want to be associated with that view of what the scene is. It's never been about tat merchandise, line dancing steps by numbers or a ridiculous uniform and I don't like the fact that the once private, cool and secret scene image has been hijacked and booted out of the window by people who don't even care.

I didn't join the Northern Soul scene to be "cool", and i don't really care what people outside of the scene think about it or me. As long as can get to hear the music that i love, that is all i care about. I've got loads of friends on the scene and probably as many off the scene (who don't understand (or get) the music) but they all take me as i am, and that's the way it should be.

Social source share