A Legend Passes

To many of us of a certain age he was THE MAN the voice of Soul Music in the U.K. for me and like minded people he was the voice of the Black Music Movement in this country to some, he was too political and voiced his opinion whether asked for or not but to my mind, it was his way of expressing his thoughts and views having seen for himself when pioneering the way for black artists to visit this country. When Soul was in its infancy he saw for himself the struggle these artists and acts had to go through just to get there records heard and played. He above others knew what it was like to be put down and not given the right backing even when the record was a great tune. WE WILL NEVER SEE HIS LIKE AGAIN. He was a champion of our music always writing about it and letting us know of some of the finest music to come out of the US. He was part of my unbringing into Soul Music and HE WILL BE SADLY MISSED not only by me but I am sure by thousands of other like minded up and down the length and breadth of the UK.

DAVE GODIN -- R.I.P. 2004

FRASER DUNN

Edited by fdsoul6345789
Social source share

• Replies 2
  • Views 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Fraser,

A tremendous accolade indeed. Anyone submitting tracks like The Constellations-I Don't Know About You in 1971 to the late Les Cokell and discovering Sandi Sheldon and the immortal 'Nothing's Worse Than Being Alone' to name a few, is a true 'giant of soul'.

I spoke with Chris Bartley a personal friend of both mine and Dave's. As Chris said 'Dave Godin...'the sweetest thing this side of heaven'

Kev Roberts

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!