Handbags At Dawn

ImberBoy

Guest Bearsy

Maybe the two scenes - Oldies and Rare will now respectfully part, each acknowledging the other whilst knowing its not really for them.  Pays your money and takes the choice. :thumbsup:

The Oldies crowd will have it rougher because the "handbaggers" will go and stay there. Two seconds in a Rare environment and they would be gone.

I hope ALL are welcomed with open arms (if they cause no trouble and follow etiquette) because I am always hearing its the friendliest scene  - so keep it that way...........I may not be at those events that greet them, but the ethos should surely remain :)

The rare scene soulies are the lucky ones....

They still love 1000s of oldies but they still love to hear something new so keeping it fresh and real instead of stuck in groundhog night ....

Goodnight I'm off to watch the Dave channel its full of all my favourite repeat programmes I've seen a thousand times ;-)

Social source share

Nearly spot on,the only thing I take slight exception to is the "cause no trouble & follow etiquette" bit?From previous answers on this thread we are to dissolve all previous rules that has taken us the best part of 40+ years to put in place & respect in a spirit of including all,because we should be open to all & not expect people to behave in the way we have been brought up to do.So if they want to fight & throw beer on the dancefloor so be it,because they're new & we want to include them & put no pressure on them with our elitist ways..........yes I'm been pedantic & I'm sorry I've used your answer to make my point because you make some very good points.

We seem to be pussy footing around here..........I'm proud to be elitist,I'm proud I'm dedicated,I'm proud I'm not like everyone else,I'm proud I don't have to make apologies for that.

I'm aghast that some people think it's OK for people to come in and not learn our ways & start dictating how we behave?Why if someone turns up at a couple of soul night's should they expect the same respect that those who have shown the dedication & commitment over time get.I would hope they would aspire to want such respect,so to get that they would learn our ways & after time they will get it.........just like we had to.

Cheers

Martyn 

Im with ya Mart on that all the way well said that man

Wicksy

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Handbaggers tend to have their own sounds as well...they love midtempo.Just loving you...When We get there...No one there.They seem to go into spasms and hold their arms in the air to just loving you.Bob sinclair is big on the handbag scene as well.Any other handbiggies?

chris Farlowe! I know! but its massive in certain circles, there are loads of 'I went to the wheel' ers too.  

Social source share

Yikes, there's some scary guys on this site. Intolerance seems to be the keyword.

I hardly drink, do not wear fancy dress and I'm at the 'Dad Dance' end of the scale. However I love the music and have done for 15 years since re-discovering it, I support the events and also like to have a good time and certainly don't object to others who have paid a lot of money to attend to enjoy themselves even if Chuck Woods floats their boat. The Skegness promoters did try to keep beer and stupidity off the dancefloor very actively and largely succeeded

I would say to Ady Croasdell that there are some reviews of the weekend on the Yahoo Motown Treasures website. However I understand the risk of generating a range of elitist back-wash by mentioning this since the M-word is probably sacrilege to some.

Why not come out and attend some of these events? You'd be welcomed and no doubt the promoters would respond by playing the sort of music you are looking for. Unworthy newcomers like myself could also learn the error of their ways from such distinguished company and the music could be kept on track by your deep knowledge.

To paraphrase the great Bill Shankly: you can't influence play if you're not on the pitch. (btw at the risk of further fury, I'm a Chelsea fan but appreciate greatness in whatever colour shirt it comes)

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Sounds like the latest incarnation of Parr Hall, Warrington, to a tee.

I avoid, even though its on my doorstep.

Radcliffe is quality by all reports.

Prob my next destination of choice, now Lowton seems to be off.....(again) :-(

Lowton most deffo on............Friday Oct 11th then every other month]

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest nsoulxx

I attended KGH on Saturday night for my ten yearly nostalgia trip.  I must admit, a lot has changed in the ten years since I went to the 30th Wigan Anniversary at the same venue.  Although I’ve attended hundreds of soul nights in between, when I compare Saturday’s event with the 30th, things have definitely gone downhill in my opinion.

I can remember having a great time at the 30th, dancing most of the night, the DJs doing some great spots.  On Saturday I had to wait until the last hour for the floor to clear of the inebriated Dad Dancers, Grab a Grannies et al, and for the DJ to start playing some of the better sounds from the Wigan era.  To my knowledge, the DJ line-up was similar to the 30th, with Richard Searling being the notable absentee (although he was advertised on the bill).  Most of the DJs could have put a Wigan compilation CD on and I wouldn’t have known the difference.  In fact, their playlists could have been lifted straight from any of the latest epidemic of 40th Anniversary CDs.

It would have been nice to see the clips of the Northern Soul film that were being screened, but some over enthusiastic pensioner decided to get up and start "dancing" on the spot directly in front of me.

Maybe I’m just turning into a grumpy old bastard.  The one ray of light was the youngsters who were in attendance, who conducted themselves better than some of the “grownups”, and showed real passion and enthusiasm.

Edited by nsoulxx
Social source share

Guest nsoulxx

I attended KGH on Saturday night for my ten yearly nostalgia trip.  I must admit, a lot has changed in the ten years since I went to the 30th Wigan Anniversary at the same venue.  Although I’ve attended hundreds of soul nights in between, when I compare Saturday’s event with the 30th, things have definitely gone downhill in my opinion.

I can remember having a great time at the 30th, dancing most of the night, the DJs doing some great spots.  On Saturday I had to wait until the last hour for the floor to clear of the inebriated Dad Dancers, Grab a Grannies et al, and for the DJ to start playing some of the better sounds from the Wigan era.  To my knowledge, the DJ line-up was similar to the 30th, with Richard Searling being the notable absentee (although he was advertised on the bill).  Most of the DJs could have put a Wigan compilation CD on and I wouldn’t have known the difference.  In fact, their playlists could have been lifted straight from any of the latest epidemic of 40th Anniversary CDs.

It would have been nice to see the clips of the Northern Soul film that were being screened, but some over enthusiastic pensioner decided to get up and start "dancing" on the spot directly in front of me.

Maybe I’m just turning into a grumpy old bastard.  The one ray of light was the youngsters who were in attendance, who conducted themselves better than some of the “grownups”, and showed real passion and enthusiasm.

The last hour as always was Pete Eccles. His set was by far the best...as always. Can't understand why he is on last as often at KGH, a lot of the dancers have given up long before 2am when Pete comes on because they've been peed off by the piss heads and high heels with bottles and G and T's on the dance floor. Change the line up at KGH, put Pete on earlier...just not too early :thumbsup:

Social source share

Yikes, there's some scary guys on this site. Intolerance seems to be the keyword.

I hardly drink, do not wear fancy dress and I'm at the 'Dad Dance' end of the scale. However I love the music and have done for 15 years since re-discovering it, I support the events and also like to have a good time and certainly don't object to others who have paid a lot of money to attend to enjoy themselves even if Chuck Woods floats their boat. The Skegness promoters did try to keep beer and stupidity off the dancefloor very actively and largely succeeded

I would say to Ady Croasdell that there are some reviews of the weekend on the Yahoo Motown Treasures website. However I understand the risk of generating a range of elitist back-wash by mentioning this since the M-word is probably sacrilege to some.

Why not come out and attend some of these events? You'd be welcomed and no doubt the promoters would respond by playing the sort of music you are looking for. Unworthy newcomers like myself could also learn the error of their ways from such distinguished company and the music could be kept on track by your deep knowledge.

Not scary at all Bob...just on a very different scene....Now might I be so bold as to suggest that you venture back to Skeggy and the original weekender there in a couple of weeks time. There are four rooms of soul music, and a great friendly crowd who all get along. And you won't have to dance next to a bunch of Kermit the Frogs.....or p*ssheads waving blow up bananas etc. And the music will be great too.

Had to chuckle at the Butlins poster.....

post-2175-0-00617300-1380783282_thumb.jp

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

To paraphrase the great Bill Shankly: you can't influence play if you're not on the pitch. (btw at the risk of further fury, I'm a Chelsea fan but appreciate greatness in whatever colour shirt it comes)

You've used a football analogy so here's one - you've been watching Chelsea for years, you've seen top quality football, won trophies and witnessed some of the best players in the world on the Stamford Bridge pitch. Then your mate says come on were going to watch a football match and takes you to watch the local pub team on a Sunday morning. Half the players are still pissed from the night before and most couldn't trap a sandbag.

Its still a football match but you're hardly gonna be enthralled by it are you?

So regarding your invitation to attend the next Dustbinstanley circus or similar event... er, no thanks.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I would have clicked like to this, but can't bring myself to like anything Chelsea :)

Truth is, these kind of retro weekenders aren't for me, and judging by the posts, probably not for most of the contributors to this thread, but because I'm mobile and can go where I like they don't offend me  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Hardly a new statement Andy, it's at least 5 years old :lol:

this is true Steve but I was referring to its recent resurrection

anyway, now to a more pertinent issue...whats your take on reissues? :rofl:

Social source share

Intolerance is the keyword and rightly so.

It as surely an intolerance of bland spoon-fed commercial mainstream culture and sheep-like unimaginative conformity of the majority which caused the phenomenon of normal british people seeking out these treasures of past, forgotten music from another culture in the first place.

Intolerance of crap music, or of moribund nostalgia doesnt make you a fascist, just sensible.

It's a very fair sort of elitism though, the elite is just those who love the music the most.

Social source share

Yikes, there's some scary guys on this site.

you can't influence play if you're not on the pitch.

Don't be scared, they don't bite mate - well most don't! :D 

'Heal from within' is also a phrase used by someone (Nick Clegg on Europe I think) 'Heal' may be the wrong word in this case, 'change' (for everyone's benefit) would fit better - Here in Northants we have done just that, everyone getting involved - we are now at the stage where most people respect each others different views, and more importantly we are all listening to different music from different era's, one being the very early Northern that Glen Bellamy is bringing to the table as resident at 'Soul in the Bowl'. Also, loads from the main room at least visit 'The Den' at some point in the evening.

We're never gonna get rid of the rivalry, no one seems to wants to - but we have turned it into fun! :wink: 

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

For some 50+ er's.

You mean the one's that can no longer compete with their 18 year old selves from 45 years back dancing to "You're Gonna Make Me Love You" and "Too Late" Kev?  :lol:

You can get away with a mild sway to Willie Tee. Plus, it's a brilliant record as well......

Ian D  :D

• Helpful 3
Social source share

you might call it intollerance, I'd just cal it passion.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Blimey, "Out Of Time", brilliant record though it is, was a pop hit. I thought you were talking about "Don't Just Look At Me"....... :g:

spot on again penny! but anyone who loves the this kind of weekender would find it hard to understand. He'd probably wouldnt mind if his local pub was taken over by weatherspoons or the BBC sold off to mr murdock either. Viva the underground in any form. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Intolerance is the keyword and rightly so.

It as surely an intolerance of bland spoon-fed commercial mainstream culture and sheep-like unimaginative conformity of the majority which caused the phenomenon of normal british people seeking out these treasures of past, forgotten music from another culture in the first place.

Intolerance of crap music, or of moribund nostalgia doesnt make you a fascist, just sensible.

It's a very fair sort of elitism though, the elite is just those who love the music the most.

Hahaha. Brilliant Penny. I love your posts. 

Social source share

You've used a football analogy so here's one - you've been watching Chelsea for years, you've seen top quality football, won trophies and witnessed some of the best players in the world on the Stamford Bridge pitch. Then your mate says come on were going to watch a football match and takes you to watch the local pub team on a Sunday morning. Half the players are still pissed from the night before and most couldn't trap a sandbag.

Its still a football match but you're hardly gonna be enthralled by it are you?

So regarding your invitation to attend the next Dustbinstanley circus or similar event... er, no thanks.

My local club is Maidenhead United who I go to watch as often as the Blues. Not quite pub football but well on the way seeing the state our centre-forward turns up in following Friday night in Stripes. I enjoy it, different crowd and atmosphere, much more personal. So the footballs not so good but it's a good crack. In a strange way i enjoyed Chelsea also when they were getting beat 6-0 at Rotherham in the old Division 2. I like the success of course but even if it disappeared, I'd still be there.

The same with the music. It's not only about being intense, it's also to be enjoyed. I love finding rare records and debating the hell over matrix numbers and is this a first pressing etc. But the Do I Love You moment at Skeggy was an incredibly emotional release which I wouldn't have missed for the world.

THe weekend was much more than the stereotypes portrayed on this thread by people who didn't go. I had never been to Butlins in my life until last weekend but would recommend it. The only caution i would offer is that one needs to go with a smile and not an introverted snarl to get somethnig out of it.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest proudlove

Was it/is it an "underground scene" though ?

Mill towns like Preston , Keighley , Blackburn , Burnley , Bradford , Bolton , Rochdale , Halifax, Dewsbury , Huddersfield , St Helens , Stockport , Oldham , Wakefield ect . I always thought in these kind of places it has always been pretty much overground ? Played everywhere in those towns for decades . Youth clubs , cafes , pubs , shops , weddings , working mens clubs and so forth ?

Maybe Krissii,maybe..... but when are you talking about?........Truthfully?

Social source share

Is Lowton finishing?!!!!   I knew they should have kept that Modern Room going  :wicked:   (Only kidding, before anyone jumps in, & shoots me down in flames)

What a great shame A  

lowton is on the 11th october  and wont be finishing , i think it will be every few months from now on , btw  gracking win for wigan :wicked: dont you think lol 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I would have clicked like to this, but can't bring myself to like anything Chelsea :)

Truth is, these kind of retro weekenders aren't for me, and judging by the posts, probably not for most of the contributors to this thread, but because I'm mobile and can go where I like they don't offend me  :thumbsup:

Reading the replies to my thread, some do bite! :)

Your scene sounds fun and Northants is not out of my wavelength.

If you have any dates, I'll see if me and the missus can make one. (However don't tell that Penny I'm coming, I want to get home in one piece) :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Not scary at all Bob...just on a very different scene....Now might I be so bold as to suggest that you venture back to Skeggy and the original weekender there in a couple of weeks time. There are four rooms of soul music, and a great friendly crowd who all get along. And you won't have to dance next to a bunch of Kermit the Frogs.....or p*ssheads waving blow up bananas etc. And the music will be great too.

Had to chuckle at the Butlins poster.....

Fair comment.

Unfortunately Skeggy is a long haul for me so i'll have to pass on going back so quickly.

I did come to a Skeggy weekender 4/5 years ago in a hotel in the town and really enjoyed it.

There were no Kermits at Skeggy but my attention was drawn to a hen party dressed up as Marilyn Monroe in her white 'blown up by the underfloor air blast' dress. Had me on the dancefloor quicker than a rat up the drainpipe. The missus helpfully reminded me that 'you look with your eyes and not your hands' in that tone that leaves no doubt. Looking back she probably did me a favour and saved me from making a bigger fool of myself than I normally do.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

As a fellow football supporter you can probably understand how difficult it was for me to write something positive about Liverpool.

THat said, whenever I come to Anfield, I put flowers at the gate for the 96 and pay my respects. In the end, we are all the same even if we like to pretend otherwise.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

you might call it intollerance, I'd just cal it passion.

you could be right.

but there is a point where passion and intolerance become intertwined.

passion is following a cause and I understand that because i'm passionate about the music myself,

intolerance is belittling others because they do not follow your cause, that I don't understand, everyone has the right to follow their path.

That point has been passed in several of the posts to this thread.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

spot on again penny! but anyone who loves the this kind of weekender would find it hard to understand. He'd probably wouldnt mind if his local pub was taken over by weatherspoons or the BBC sold off to mr murdock either. Viva the underground in any form. 

You don't know me so how can you prejudge what I understand and my views on pubs and the BBC?

BTW who is 'mr murdock'?

Social source share

Not sure I understand.

I would have won the bet though..

They were two of his songs. Blimey 'out Of Time' I love the record but wouldn't want to hear it out much. Mind you the Free's 'All Right Now' was a massive skinhead/mod record around 1969/70 we would moon-hop to it in our DMs; a tenner on that being a big record in 6 months time.
Social source share

They were two of his songs. Blimey 'out Of Time' I love the record but wouldn't want to hear it out much. Mind you the Free's 'All Right Now' was a massive skinhead/mod record around 1969/70 we would moon-hop to it in our DMs; a tenner on that being a big record in 6 months time.

Chris Farlowe's rather nice version of this Garnett Mimms classic ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hOrbTGK_lE

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

My local club is Maidenhead United who I go to watch as often as the Blues. Not quite pub football but well on the way seeing the state our centre-forward turns up in following Friday night in Stripes. I enjoy it, different crowd and atmosphere, much more personal. So the footballs not so good but it's a good crack. In a strange way i enjoyed Chelsea also when they were getting beat 6-0 at Rotherham in the old Division 2. I like the success of course but even if it disappeared, I'd still be there.

The same with the music. It's not only about being intense, it's also to be enjoyed. I love finding rare records and debating the hell over matrix numbers and is this a first pressing etc. But the Do I Love You moment at Skeggy was an incredibly emotional release which I wouldn't have missed for the world.

THe weekend was much more than the stereotypes portrayed on this thread by people who didn't go. I had never been to Butlins in my life until last weekend but would recommend it. The only caution i would offer is that one needs to go with a smile and not an introverted snarl to get somethnig out of it.

Fair dues but most football fans would describe Maidenhead as crap compared to Chelsea when they're on top form

• Helpful 1
Social source share

You mean the one's that can no longer compete with their 18 year old selves from 45 years back dancing to "You're Gonna Make Me Love You" and "Too Late" Kev?  :lol:

You can get away with a mild sway to Willie Tee. Plus, it's a brilliant record as well......

Mild sway's good for me. :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!