Teaching People To Dance Wtf?

Guest Bearsy

what! you mean there was a mod scene before Quad!!!!!!! :wink:

Don't know to be honest but I remember my brother and all his mates went to the cinema wearing flares and huge collars and came home in parkas and boating shoes and putting whip Ariel's on the choppers :-0

Social source share

Don't know to be honest but I remember my brother and all his mates went to the cinema wearing flares and huge collars and came home in parkas and boating shoes and putting whip Ariel's on the choppers :-0

my brothers mates told my about greaser mania after easyrider came out too.

Social source share

Door tax at £10 is purely to cover my expenses and all profits will go to my record charity "Bearsyneedsmoretunes"

The venue will hopefully be free and I've already got the "now this is Northern Soul 73 to 81" that will provide the sounds of the night.

Was thinking of doing a special "soul soup in a basket" at £5 for those hungry soulies after a hard dance lesson.

Only problem is I can't find a big enough venue as I feel the need of a 8,000 capacity (over 2 rooms) size venue for the quadrasoulias influx.

Will post more on here when venue is sorted and will be all ticket only and payment as gift via PayPal and please add 15% for fees.

Yours richly

Bearsy

wil come but busy this week

and next week not looking good and the week after ect.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Somehow the music side has been lost - there's a whole host of folk wouldn't know what a Soul record is - they are too busy implementing rules and fixing alarms to the dancefloor that go off when you stray within 50 yards of the dancefloor with your drink.

After slipping on beer and nearly breaking my kneecap a few months back i have no problem with a 50 yard exclusion zone for drinks around a dancefloor.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Could you imagine it at Wigan back in the day?... :no: The new weekly intake all offered dance lessons by Sandy or whatever his name was at the back of the hall......I think not....dear oh dear, what next lessons on how to sew on a badge.,.,

Fook me Steve, i didn't know you'd been to one of my soul nights. :ohmy:

Social source share

You put your left baggy trouser in, your left baggy trouser out,  then you gob some gear and start spinin' about ,

wow wow the northern soulie :wicked: I can't see this lot worrying Len Goodman and Bruno Tonioli too much!

But seriously this whole scene is fast becoming a farce.

Dave :facepalm:

Edited by Louise
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

While I like the look of this new soul film coming out soon I feel its gonna be a wash with some right nobs turning up at soul do's thinking there the big I am prancing about telling people who have been into northern for years how it should be done.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Alexei Sayle summed it up nicely when he said anyone who mentions the word 'workshop' not in the context of manufacturing industry is a t***. It is a sad day when film producers have to organise mass line-prancing sessions to make whoopee-do action scenes that hopefully convey the high-energy of a classic Northern track. It is worse still when similar sights are witnessed at venues - the soul coaches should know better and tell the wannabees to watch from the sidelines until they can dance. I would recommend extra lashings of talc to mop up the beer these novices seem to spill on the dance floor and perhaps have a few sacks of sawdust handy to deal with the puke attacks suffered by true soulies. Finally, the kitchen parquet or the bathroom floor are good places to move to the music without suffering carpet burn - that said, if you wear decent shoes, you won't need talc so get some Terry's brogues now, available in all Chelsea shoe shops...

Social source share

Simple solution, we all have a good idea where this kind of thing is going to crop up, so let them get on with it and don,t go

Kev

Agree KeV,but looking at clips ,pics and reviews ,these people are like locusts and invading places that were once regarded as proper nights ,nighters and weekenders :(

The lunatics are taking over the asylum !

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Sharon also has a City & Guilds in Fashion & Design, a BSc (Hons) Degree in Psychology and a MSc in Nutrition.  She is currently working on new and unique designs of clothing, shoes and accessories for the northern soul scene. 

569462.jpg
Social source share

Great nostalgia there from the heart of soul lol..........1.22 and my mate Marty was dumped back without his shirt after some sort of testing no doubt........all those bags full of nerve agents !!

That's me at 49 seconds,after a pike with triple salco ,plus underwear for a change.!!

Social source share

Welcome To Northern Soul Dance

......You Can Learn To Dance Northern Soul

Make 2013 the year when you finally get out on the floor........Welcome to my northern soul dance site.  On my site you can purchase the only northern soul dance tuition dvd's - they are very easy to follow and you always have me online to help you on your way to dancing with confidence, just go to the webshop.

Hi my name is Sharon Sullivan (nee Finch) - I got married!!!!!!!. I love Northern Soul and I am the first person to teach this style of dance professionally in my dance studio in Huddersfield.  My studio is superb, cool and has a fully sprung maple dance floor - perfect for Northern Soul dancing. 

It has always been thought that Northern Soul dancing required a natural ability for the style and could not be taught, this is simply not true.  It took me seven months to break down the basic moves and script them, I now teach northern soul dance moves to anyone who wants to learn and/or improve their style. 

'I can't think of anything worse than being at a great event and sitting out a fantastic tune that touches your soul.'

If you want to dance this style - you can, it is up to you.  If you feel you want to dance but feel you have no rhythm, no coordination or do not have the confidence to just get up and have a go, I can teach you.

I am the first and only person who has taken the time to break down these moves, script them and teach them to all who want to learn.  I teach and coach outside the UK also and can attend any venue, in any part of the world.   I have taken the effort (and cost) of producing the first ever dance tuition dvds in this fantastic dance style, just go to the webshop.  Look around my website, you can email or call me. 

569464.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Social source share

Sorry to say this lads but the soul scene as we know it has taken a very large turn for the worse. Gone are the days of the newcomers learning the etiquette of the dance floor the listening to feel the beat & rhythm of the music the practicing your own style of dance. In is the quick fix two step dance classes from people whom seem to think they are qualified dance teachers :lol:  :lol: and out to make a name for themselves , if they could only see the harm they are causing to the scene . the devide is getting bigger by actions like this . Let the newcomers  learn themselves that's where the true love for the music comes from, everyone dances different this is a freestyle dance scene . :thumbup:  :thumbup: :thumbup:  

• Helpful 2
Social source share

After slipping on beer and nearly breaking my kneecap a few months back i have no problem with a 50 yard exclusion zone for drinks around a dancefloor.

I'm certainly not advocating spilling beer on the dancefloor or taking drinks onto the dancefloor although sometimes it's unavoidable I just find the idea that you can't go anywhere near the floor with a drink a bit hysterical. Sorry you hurt your knee but I think people are far more likely to slip on talc than beer at an event.

( I seem to remember us having this exact same discussion a couple of years back)

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I'm certainly not advocating spilling beer on the dancefloor or taking drinks onto the dancefloor although sometimes it's unavoidable I just find the idea that you can't go anywhere near the floor with a drink a bit hysterical. Sorry you hurt your knee but I think people are far more likely to slip on talc than beer at an event.

( I seem to remember us having this exact same discussion a couple of years back)

I agree, I hate talc too. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest BAKUNIN

You know what all this bullshit dance lessons actually lacks SOUL simple as that you might be able to practice the so called moves but if it ain't in you in the first place then it don't matter how many lessons you have, it's not a dance move or fancy foot work it's something you either grasp,get and understand or you don't, I know people with three left feet who have more soul than these people will ever understand, it's turning into a fucking circus.

Could not agree more...the whole thing is becoming naff!

This is the price you pay for popularising something once special and relatively obscure with naff films and tv programs and tat advertising.

Social source share

Guest BAKUNIN

When Bruce Forsyth introduces a couple demonstrating Northern Soul in front of a div audience to be judged by a panel of "experts" that will be the end of life as we know it.....I was going to say I was only joking but?

Edited by BAKUNIN
Social source share

Could you imagine it at Wigan back in the day?... :no: The new weekly intake all offered dance lessons by Sandy or whatever his name was at the back of the hall......I think not....dear oh dear, what next lessons on how to sew on a badge.,.,

I think that would be Sandy Holt Steve, World Kickboxing champion if memory serves right so FFS don't anyone say Bruce Lee wasn't an influence on his dance moves  :lol: BTW he really was a great little mover!Sandy not Bruce  :thumbup:

Social source share

I think that would be Sandy Holt Steve, World Kickboxing champion if memory serves right so FFS don't anyone say Bruce Lee wasn't an influence on his dance moves  :lol: BTW he really was a great little mover!Sandy not Bruce  :thumbup:

I know what his name is "O" - just being disrespectful by pretending I can't remember. :lol:

Anyway it's all about how you feel, plenty of turkeys on the dancefloor, often see some dancing to a completely different record to the one that's playing - you think 'Jees have they got their I-Pod on with a different tune playing?'....No worries though, the reality is no one cares as long as the person dancing is having a good time...all this "you got to do these moves in this order to be a proper soulie" such a load of cr*p.

Get on the floor and be yourself!

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Danceology

Danceology opened in June 2000 following a massive refurbishment of the 1901 St. Marks sunday school building.  The refurbishment took just 2 months to complete.  My studio has a fantastic atmosphere with a large maple sprung dance floor - ideal for northern.  I teach lots of different styles of dance including Salsa, Ballroom & Latin American, Freestyle Dance, Rock n Roll, Street Dance and Hip Hop, plus much more.  I instist on a relaxed studio, a nurturing and fun environment for all my students.  It is a fantastic studio and is a licensenced premises.  St Marks has served us well over the years.

Chameleon Dance Studios / Chameleon Club

We will be opening our new studios in Huddersfield very shortly.  It has three great rooms where we will be expanding our teaching. we also have a recording studio.  More information will be posted on this site very soon.

CHAMELEON SOUL CLUB

Our new soul club - SoulMates, will be up and running in summer 2013, we plan to hold an all-nighter once each month with soul nights every two weeks.  Our club is very intimate and will limit tickets to 100 at each event. We have a main hall for dancing and a chill out room playing Motown where you can drink, have food or just chill with the music.  We plan to have guest DJ's and artists etc.   I hope we can keep this fantastic dance and music alive and kicking for many years to come.

I take it nobody has been to her soul club then ??
Social source share

569485.jpg

This is a great picture of Sharon and Russ Winstanley.  Russ kindly spared his valuable time to assist us when making the Dvd's.  We had a great time and as the picture shows, we got along really well and all had a good time listening to the great stories of Wigan.  Thank you Russ.
Social source share

Ive heard that they were teaching the Cowboys and Chickens at a venue that shall remain nameless   ,  the pigeon toe and the wiggle   WTF  ..  .  obviously the teacher person in question does  not get it either

I always thought it was a about  a feeling  , self expression , individuality  etc  no two alike   if you aint got soul you aint gonna get it  .

• Helpful 2
Social source share