Programming

Can't say that I have been to a great deal of nighters over the last few years at all but on the occassions I have, I have me little blow out in the Northern Room now and then and generally gravitate to the Modern Room.

Now it's a bit pot & kettle for me to bring this subject up but I find with production techniques as they are today - with more housey stuff being played than ever before - that the programming of some djs leaves a lot to be desired.

I don't see how some of todays more housey selections can be slipped slip easily into either side of say, a danceable soul cut from the 70s and an 80s thing - but they are.

The last time I went out I had to leave the room I was in on a number of occassions as I felt the programming was terrible, it jarred.

Now I know it is all about quality soulful music but surely programming and a flow must count for something.

Any thoughts?

(Being new to the board I may be going over old ground, if so ignore me :thumbsup: )

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Johnny One Trout

Can't say as i've come across this too often Hotty, maybe we frequent different venues but i seldom have come across a modern room where Y2K+4 Soul (just runs off the tongue don't it?? ) Soulful Dance and 70/80's Modern are mixed up in one set. Certainly the events in the NW especially have a very upfront feel to them in general but i get the impression that the house element is on the wain a little. A couple of years back it seemed that at every event there was too much house content verging on clubby at times yet nowadays there is a lot less of the banging stuff and what house is included is of a more gentle persuasion.

Having said that liking a bit of it all so to speak i quite like an eclectic mix that throws in everything including the kitchen sink but that is not an easy skill to pull off, depends who's doing it i suppose and how much thought they put into it, assuming of course that they have the instinct in the first place :o :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Max mixter Trouty

Social source share

Can't say as i've come across this too often Hotty, maybe we frequent different venues but i seldom have come across a modern room where Y2K+4 Soul (just runs off the tongue don't it?? ) Soulful Dance and 70/80's Modern are mixed up in one set. Certainly the events in the NW especially have a very upfront feel to them in general but i get the impression that the house element is on the wain a little. A couple of years back it seemed that at every event there was too much house content verging on clubby at times yet nowadays there is a lot less of the banging stuff and what house is included is of a more gentle persuasion.

Having said that liking a bit of it all so to speak i quite like an eclectic mix that throws in everything including the kitchen sink but that is not an easy skill to pull off, depends who's doing it i suppose and how much thought they put into it, assuming of course that they have the instinct in the first place  :o  :thumbsup:   :thumbsup:

Max mixter Trouty

link

Thanks for the reply T and it is a while since I have shuffled down Northern Soul Road.

Still I went to The Ritz a few Boxing Days back and the programming there, with no new stuff, again left a lot to be desired.

Perhaps I'm out of the routine mate! haha

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

May be but if you're coming back after seeing things from a house perspective then yes, there's no doubt that old soulies can't mix!! Whats more they shouldn't be allowed to either, but that's not where i thought you were heading.

I suppose the other factor for consideration may be that the 70's/ 80's used on the modern scene are generally a world away from the 70's 80's used on the House Disco scene....

John

Social source share

May be but if you're coming back after seeing things from a house perspective then yes, there's no doubt that old soulies can't mix!! Whats more they shouldn't be allowed to either, but that's not where i thought you were heading.

I suppose the other factor for consideration may be that the 70's/ 80's used on the modern scene are generally a world away from the 70's 80's used on the House Disco scene....

John

link

I wasn't talking about mixing at all T, just track selection - I understand the Northern Scene very well, I spent from 79 to about 1992 buried in it, I just didn't see an improvement in the understanding of how tracks should/could be used.

Social source share

Can't say that I have been to a great deal of nighters over the last few years at all but on the occassions I have, I have me little blow out in the Northern Room now and then and generally gravitate to the Modern Room.

Now it's a bit pot & kettle for me to bring this subject up but I find with production techniques as they are today  - with more housey stuff being played than ever before - that the programming of some djs leaves a lot to be desired.

I don't see how some of todays more housey selections can be slipped slip easily into either side of say, a danceable soul cut from the 70s and an 80s thing - but they are.

The last time I went out I had to leave the room I was in on a number of occassions as I felt the programming was terrible, it jarred.

Now I know it is all about quality soulful music but surely programming and a flow must count for something.

Any thoughts?

(Being new to the board I may be going over old ground, if so ignore me :thumbsup: )

link

Think I know what you're on about. I like to hear (and play) a good mixed set that dips into all eras. Sticking with one era makes it a bit dull (IMHO :thumbsup: ) . But, as you say, the right records have to be programmed to get away with this. Personally, I don't see a problem with a set that rolls through the eras, starting with 6ts and naturally progressing through the 7ts, 8ts, 9ts and (yes!) even finishing up on a gently soulfully garidge kinda thing! And it works! There ya go then peoples, design a set that takes in all eras....answers on a postcard to.....

Social source share

Any thoughts?

link

Not a frequent frequenter ( :thumbsup: ) of Modern rooms but this sort of thing came up under the 'Microphone' thread... am a great believer in and love to hear a 'flowing' set that moves between different styles by I think what you mean by 'programming' rather than jumping about between them. It definitely does jar (and I have heard this) to have a set of randomly thrown together R&B, modern, oldies, soulful dance... IMO.

Social source share

I think the key to a "Flowing" set has to be a "Bridge" track (stating the obvious)but would be of interest to me to read a selection of lists that flow, just as a critique, hell i may even do a collection of ten of my personal favs that encompass

this (Sub) Topic. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!