Sy Hightower 'i Wonder Why' Mix/pitched ?

Tlscapital

I know the song from this bootleg LP; post-19710-0-10388200-1381296772_thumb.j. Always admire/love it as a second 'I know you're leaving me' wich is tremendeous.

I just recently decided to give a listen to the release on the Harley 45 from both Youtube on line clips and straight on was shocked by the speed it is playing at (50 RPM or something like that). I guess those sound clips are taken from the 45 on Hayley.

Even the phrasing is rac-a-tac (like machine gun) way too fast. The voice is Mickey Mosued and the music has lost all it's coolness. To my ears it is pure distortion.

I would like to know if I am the only lonely one disturbed by that re "work" of the tune. And then I would also be curious as to why destroying such another great track from Sy if the 45 on Harley (if it plays like the Youtube clips) ?

Edited by tlscapital
Social source share

To be fair that's what Rob has always said that that's how the track came to them?

However, I've always thought it was speeded up too and have posted about it on here before if i remember?

I guess the only one who can really tell us is the owner of the original acetate LP which i guess is still Steve G?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

OK, here's a "kitchen sink" Youtube clip I just made from that Double "O" Soul compilation playing 33 RPM to show how I come to wonder about the Hayley mix. I just left the next tune after to prove it's just taken straight from that LP. Now, compare (not the sound fi though)...

& the Hayley mix

• Helpful 1
Social source share

They both seem speeded up, the first one is pretty close to the LP, maybe +2 pitch on. But that second one with the blue background is a joke. Pinky & Perky return! Or the return of Simon Soussan? you decide :lol:

Thanks for clearing it up Steve!

Think anyone playing the Hayley 45 at home should have it at least on -4 pitch to get close to the original (and brilliant) mix?

I've loved this record since the days when Rod had it/broke it at Thorne (think he got it from Colin Dilnot via Ian Dewhirst?????) and is now in the safe hands of Mr G

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!