Is Rnb Northernsoul?

ImberBoy

Well it is but it isn't.  It was, but now it's not.  If you see what I mean.  When it was released in the 60's it was R&B, but nowadays it's Northern Soul.  Because R&B in today's context doesn't mean what R&B meant in the 60's.  And then you've got the other so called R&B, the contemporary stuff by today's artists which bears no resemblence to R&B.  It sure is confusing.

Pete

We could be here awhile :lol:

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by hullsoul
Social source share

Well it is but it isn't.  It was, but now it's not.  If you see what I mean.  When it was released in the 60's it was R&B, but nowadays it's Northern Soul.  Because R&B in today's context doesn't mean what R&B meant in the 60's.  And then you've got the other so called R&B, the contemporary stuff by today's artists which bears no resemblence to R&B.  It sure is confusing.

So R&B is Northern Soul but it's not R&B.

Got it :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

What is Northern Soul?

Ive been collecting since 1972

Less sure now than then

Reason being..its such a broad church with edges that get more and more blurred..or do they?

Nothing to do with RnB but look at records like  The Crow...northern soul/Funk/Funky Northern ??

must be my age :g: 

So to RnB...Yes and No ..or maybe

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Maurice & The Radiants - Baby You've Got It

Back in the 60's when we danced to this at venues like the Wheel it was either 'Club Soul' or 'Big City Soul' 

............ R&B never came into it then & it doesn't these days either.

....... it's out & out soul with a big S

Much like this similar track ...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSwmlK_k_XE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmXeyPZnkwU

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Maurice & The Radiants - Baby You've Got It

Back in the 60's when we danced to this at venues like the Wheel it was either 'Club Soul' or 'Big City Soul' 

............ R&B never came into it then & it doesn't these days either.

....... it's out & out soul with a big S

In the States it was classed as R & B though, which is what I was referring to.  Hence their R & B charts.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Wasnt Rnb where it all started ??? It's one of the sub genre that's a major part of the scene ! Fine examples below...

Jimmy Robin - I Can't Please You

Big Daddy Rodgers - I'm A Big Man

Mickey Champion - What Good Am I

Ac Reed - My Baby Been Cheating

Edited by WheelCity45
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Wasnt Rnb where it all started ??? It's one of the sub genre that's a major part of the scene ! Fine examples below...

Jimmy Robin - I Can't Please You

Big Daddy Rodgers - I'm A Big Man

Mickey Champion - What Good Am I

Ac Reed - My Baby Been Cheating

ah but these have been played at past northern soul events so are allowed by those who winge about rnb tracks they dont know being played today

• Helpful 1
Social source share

So many influences have played a role in making up the sounds we accept as NORTHERN SOUL. R&B is just one facet..Records are described as Latin based,Motownesque,Funk egged,Philly sound,White Pop,Modern soul.etc etc.Basically its a broad church and it all has its place.Personally i love the element of hard edged R&B,and to me something like Jimmy Robins and Mickie Champion are perfect Northern Soul.I have never liked the tame pop influenced stuff much.So for me the R&B puts the NORTHERN into SOUL

Edited by Patto
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

In the States it was classed as R & B though, which is what I was referring to.  Hence their R & B charts.

Pete, you are , as always, right ...... but the tale being recounted above happened in the UK ..... so I was talking about the UK classification of the track in the mid 60's.

Social source share

Where would we be without the northern scene introducing tunes like JT Parker to the mod scene :rolleyes:

Do tell which mod had the foresight to introduce this to the soulies?

Was there a particular Mod who had the foresight? I don't know? I wasn't there when it first got played, however it was being played on the Mod scene before it crossed over to the Soul scene. And if I'm wrong, then do tell which Soulie had the foresight to introduce this to the Mods?

Social source share

Northern soul to me is a term coined by a English guy that described any form of black music mostly from the 60's that was danceable to us.

If an r n b sound was danceable it became termed northern soul, as was motown philly deep Latin (cal tjader etc)70's and eventually disco 80's etc, if we seperate northern soul into its true genre names we recognise them, but collectively we call it northern soul or rare soul, that's always been my take anyway. What it is brother✊

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Was there a particular Mod who had the foresight? I don't know? I wasn't there when it first got played, however it was being played on the Mod scene before it crossed over to the Soul scene. And if I'm wrong, then do tell which Soulie had the foresight to introduce this to the Mods?

You should check your facts. It was Andy Dyson who was playing it at All nighters, Lifeline etc. Mace sneakily saw who it was the rest is history. It was known about before Andy played it as it came from Butch. Des then got a copy and the rest followed, not many mind. So it was Soulies who introduced it first, if Mace hadn't looked what it was it would have been a lot longer before the mods got to hear it.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

You should check your facts. It was Andy Dyson who was playing it at All nighters, Lifeline etc. Mace sneakily saw who it was the rest is history. It was known about before Andy played it as it came from Butch. Des then got a copy and the rest followed, not many mind. So it was Soulies who introduced it first, if Mace hadn't looked what it was it would have been a lot longer before the mods got to hear it.

I see the same arguments going on on the youtube clip Chalky.

Social source share

You've got me Chalky. 1-0 to you.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Northern soul isn't a genre, it is a scene. Its a mash up of whatever seems to work or have worked at some point in the scenes history

Spot on, when did all these divisions start to appear  ??

R&B, crossover,funky,gospel ????

I know I've said it before, but we select whatever fits from the broad church of Soul, they get played, if they work they become a Northern Soul Sound, at least I think that's how it worked  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I didn't actually sneak a peak of Mr Dysons copy, I pestered him to tell me and the Academy label was mentioned by Andy and then he told me he was winding me up....Des and I pulled up an Academy discography and figured it was JT....Moerer had one on his site for $150 so I requested a sound file to be sure...later that day my pc crashed and when I got back on line that copy had gone.....

As far as I'm aware Andy Dyson first played this record, but Id say the subsequent exposure it got from a few DJs from the Mod scene certainly ignited its popularity...

Edited by Mace
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

You've got me Chalky. 1-0 to you.

I didn't realise we were playing a game? How old are you? You simply made a statement, one you couldn't corroborate because you weren't there, twice, and I simply corrected you. Not out to score points just get the facts right.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Ah, R&B....but what about R'N'B?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

shouldnt get involved but cant help myself....been some very 'passionate' arguements about latin being played at kh, a 'northern soul allnighter' on facebook this week already

northern soul...as we all know originally used to desrcibe uptempo mid 60s soul..but as the years went by included rnb,funky,70s,blue eyed pop,tv themes,latin and all sorts..thats how i see it..so while the drum beat to rnb is slightly different to that of mid 60s uptempo soul it can still be called northern if benny troy or franky and johnny or carstairs is IMO

but

some rnb can be too 'rocky' as in rock n roll or dr feelgood....the same way some 70s can be too disco

its odd ive had northern soul lovers complain about rnb but dance to charles sheffield or big daddy rogers

jt parker cleared the floor round here 5 years back but now fills it

despite this most opposition still seems to come from oldies fans who have forgotten the original ethos of including diffrent 'soulful' sub genres which THEY use to have when they were younger and more open minded

i reckon anyway

dean

How can you class The Baltimore & ohio marching band as mid sixties soul- Mid-sixties yes , Soul NO! Northern Soul Yes!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest chrislokeh

What is Northern Soul?

Ive been collecting since 1972

Less sure now than then

Reason being..its such a broad church with edges that get more and more blurred..or do they?

Nothing to do with RnB but look at records like  The Crow...northern soul/Funk/Funky Northern ??

must be my age :g: 

So to RnB...Yes and No ..or maybe

If you love Northern Soul  and you tap your foot or dance to it ,its Northern Soul

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!