Is Rnb Northernsoul?

ImberBoy

Let your conscience be your guide.......

Blues ?......(Sonny Boy Williamson - LYCBYG)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EhnXvHr9Ho

Northern Soul ?....(Little Walter Hammond - LYCBYG)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvuToRGj860

.......f*cked if I know  

Ooh I feel ill. :facepalm:  :hypo: 

Quality early NS for peanuts...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFliLf02fHk

Ooh I feel worse. :sweatingbullets:  :hypo:  :facepalm: 

R Kelly, so called new R&B or is it a Northern Soul anthem just waiting to be discovered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wCsvbySEtM

Ooh feeling better now. :thumbup:  :hatsoff2: 

Now where's me Disco glitter ball? :g:  :shhh: 

Spot. :shades: 

p.s. Must say though some of my best memories are dancing to White Pop trash in the 70's.

Edited by spot
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I see the same arguments going on on the youtube clip Chalky.

That youtube clip is mine and there's no argument going on. No one's debating who played / had it first, just people giving credit to those who did.

Emily just didnt know, and now does, theres no argument beyond that.

Social source share

I hear records like Richard Berry and Patience wotsit and I think that's a step too far...I didn't even like hearing that on the mod scene. But I love latin so some would argue that has no place on the northern scene either. I like RNB to the extent of Bobby Bland Yum Yum Tree, Baby Washington Move on...but any more rocky/c&w I'm gone.

Funny sort of mod who doesnt like r&b. But then, I suppose, plenty of 'mods' dont even like black music so bobby bland is relatively hard core

Social source share

I do like early R&B as long as it has the more bluesy sound..   It's when it sounds more rock and roll/country it seems a bit alien at a soul/mod night.  Richard Berry for example-I know that it doesn't get played that much on the mod scene anymore but there was a time when it did a lot and I have still heard it at NS nights (and not in an R&B room).   My dad was a ted and he liked that song  :elvis: . It all sounds a bit Darts to me  haha  :)

Horses for courses I guess :)

Its stuff like the passionate hatred of rhythm & blues, on a soul website, that makes the british look fucking ridiculous. Our scenes deserve to be the embarassment that they are

Social source share

Ooh I feel ill. :facepalm: 

Ooh I feel worse. :sweatingbullets:  :hypo:  

Ooh feeling better now. :thumbup:  :hatsoff2: 

Now where's me Disco glitter ball? :g: 

Spot.

p.s. Must say though some of my best memories are dancing to White Pop trash in the 70's.

Now is that the same spotty dog I've seen throwing a few shapes to Moments-You Said..........must have been the 12" CD disco version :wicked:

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Nah.....give me a bad Marvin track over a good R Kelly track any day........but whatever keeps your disco kickin' I suppose  :thumbsup:

Now, seems I dismissed the correct title but wrong You Tube tune,Oops!!!!!!!!! Not all Marvin was great though, I've got the Lounge Singer Years & though the voice is ace it's a bit cringeworthy. :facepalm:  :shhh: 

Social source share

Now, seems I dismissed the correct title but wrong You Tube tune,Oops!!!!!!!!! Not all Marvin was great though, I've got the Lounge Singer Years & though the voice is ace it's a bit cringeworthy. :facepalm:  :shhh: 

He should have stuck to the drums :ohmy:

Morning :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Now is that the same spotty dog I've seen throwing a few shapes to Moments-You Said..........must have been the 12" CD disco version :wicked:

Cheers

Martyn

Yes Martyn the very same but I wouldn't class Moments as R&B, almost Pop to my ear & I've got some right ears :lol: , Little Walter to me is, it sounds like he's just smoked 40 Senior Service & is in excruciating pain after being kicked in the Bo**ocks by a Bull :huh: & if he sang that his "Women gone left him for some playboy & his heart is broke", then I'd say it was Blues :hypocrite:  :g: . 

p.s. Good Morning Matey, been a few weeks.

Edited by spot
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Jimmy Robin - I Can't Please You
Big Daddy Rodgers - I'm A Big Man
Mickey Champion - What Good Am I
Ac Reed - My Baby Been Cheating

.....ah! 3 of what would be considered 'Sooty' tunes wherever I went back in '94/5+ Wheelsville!x Maurice Mac being a 4th among me favs to spin! Richard Berry....King Coleman were all synonymous with me set at A/N's nationwide....and folk LAPPED IT UP....is all I recall!x (Help....i've been caged in a blue band?!!!?!x) Ciro from Kettering was the first I heard spin Big Daddy circa '93+....and danced to it every occasion....for a while!x Len...Bud Harper....dunno it's history but that was who I heard play it fiorst...and the only one for a year or two until I think Big Scotty or Bob Hinsley gave it some at Nighters. We were yoooooung.....or the folk spinning this stuff was! Me...being an old Northern fan.....open to owt including...instrumentals....white pop....Latin...Gospel....and if it makes me dance......it's Northern!x NEVER EVER DANCED TO OWT ELSE.....'NATURALLY'...or high...!!....apart from Funk in 77/8 at 2 special nights in Braintree!x

Is R N B Northern......ABSO 'FLIPPIN' LUTELY!!!!x But only the Northern type....I reckon!x

@@
~

LUV
SOOTY
X

...at Northallerton 6th Anniversary last week-end...my first doo for 10 years....a dozen of us stood....probably 3-400 YEARS worth of time served dancing/listening to tunes..........I turned to them and said during a tune that had me tapping and ready for the floor soon...,,,,,',jeeeeeeez,,,,,wot's this....I've forgot!' Hadn't heard it for yeeeears...and have played it in me bedroom aged 15 repetetively....and spun it at gigs in the 90's...usually at party's and the like! 2/3 minutes of debate went off....all clueless......but all of us happy to hear it and we all knew we knew it! So I go and ask the DJ.......! I din't need too.....I got next to the deck....and there it was....mint demo of......Interplay!x I shook the DJ's hand......and said....'you've made many Soulies i'm with night tonight......super stuff....!" I gave him a hug as he appreciated the comment coming from me....and i returned beaming to our group and shared the joy!!x All were ashamed......embarrassed.....but we all laughed.....and yep.....perhaps the record that made the biggest impact at the doo on us all.....was.....Northern Soul........!!!!!!x

Nobody told me what Northern sounded like. I heard 100 records....'75/6...that was it for 17 years on 4 tapes in me car. No 'R N B' among it really. In 1992 at Keele....I don;'t recall any of the above tunes being played...or for a while. The influx of R N B that I saw came from these young uns....who had more dance energy perhaps?!.....and some 'old school' hard core around the UK such as Big Scotty....Bob Hinsley....Roger Banks.....and I listened to it....and it made me dance. Couldn't help it!x So...that stuff got added to me Northern.....cos it made me dance!x

I used to give a tape out at me Anniversary's of tunes I spun Nationally which some of my local Soul Club goers never heard really. I listened to the '95 one t'other day....first time in perhaps 17 years!! This was on it....i'd forgot about it........!x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGEbWfRtvX0

...erm.....can anyone get me outta this blue band?!x<<<<

@@
~

EDIT......sincere aplogies.....X How can I reflect on those times without mentioning the biggest influence on me R N B wise.....IRISH GREG.......sorry mate....X Never ever danced as I did to his stuff in all me times at the 100 Club....X I haven't heard his name mentioned in threads i;ve read over the months....and hope he is well and kicking it out there still...X

Edited by SOOTY
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes Martyn the very same but I wouldn't class Moments as R&B

Spot

And that in a nutshell sums up all our differences on whatever genre of the scene you want to talk about.........we all have different opinions & views of how we categorise our music & what belong where.........which isn't a problem to me because half the pigeon holes we give our music I don't understand or I aren't really bothered about........but for some reason it does to some people............all I know is what works for me........and the rest of you are all wrong :wink:

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Spot

And that in a nutshell sums up all our differences on whatever genre of the scene you want to talk about.........we all have different opinions & views of how we categorise our music & what belong where.........which isn't a problem to me because half the pigeon holes we give our music I don't understand or I aren't really bothered about........but for some reason it does to some people............all I know is what works for me........and the rest of you are all wrong :wink:

Cheers

Martyn

Thats a Cock on reflection of it all Martyn.The R&B style Northern is very subjective.I have heard people state that certain records are not R&B when to my ears they clearly are. A lot of the oldies fans dont like to hear early classics such as Mickie Champion refered to as R&B but they are quite happy to label the later Stafford and 80s/90s stuff as R&B.But as you say what WORKS is What counts.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Jimmy Robin - I Can't Please You

Big Daddy Rodgers - I'm A Big Man

Mickey Champion - What Good Am I

Ac Reed - My Baby Been Cheating

.....ah! 3 of what would be considered 'Sooty' tunes wherever I went back in '94/5+ Wheelsville!x Maurice Mac being a 4th among me favs to spin! Richard Berry....King Coleman were all synonymous with me set at A/N's nationwide....and folk LAPPED IT UP....is all I recall!x (Help....i've been caged in a blue band?!!!?!x) Ciro from Kettering was the first I heard spin Big Daddy circa '93+....and danced to it every occasion....for a while!x Len...Bud Harper....dunno it's history but that was who I heard play it fiorst...and the only one for a year or two until I think Big Scotty or Bob Hinsley gave it some at Nighters. We were yoooooung.....or the folk spinning this stuff was! Me...being an old Northern fan.....open to owt including...instrumentals....white pop....Latin...Gospel....and if it makes me dance......it's Northern!x NEVER EVER DANCED TO OWT ELSE.....'NATURALLY'...or high...!!....apart from Funk in 77/8 at 2 special nights in Braintree!x

Is R N B Northern......ABSO 'FLIPPIN' LUTELY!!!!x But only the Northern type....I reckon!x

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

Big Daddy Rogers been around since at least the 80's.  Bud Harper Gary Rushbrooke very late Wigan?  Certainly early Stafford etc.  AC Reed Guy Hennigan then George Sharp.  Mickie Champion a well seasoned oldie.  These were just good Northern to most I knew, everyone got on with it.  Some grumbled as some always do.  The R&B argument really took hold for me when the likes of Charles Sheffield, Ernie Washington and other records that sounded even earlier started getting spins.  

Most are now accepted on the scene but there are still many who like there soul nice and smooth and not gritty or early.  Ass someone said horses for courses.  Most know what DJ plays what, if one is known for playing something you don't like avoid the club, go somewhere that will please you.  Get on with it, life is too short.

Social source share

Thats a Cock on reflection of it all Martyn.The R&B style Northern is very subjective.I have heard people state that certain records are not R&B when to my ears they clearly are. A lot of the oldies fans dont like to hear early classics such as Mickie Champion refered to as R&B but they are quite happy to label the later Stafford and 80s/90s stuff as R&B.But as you say what WORKS is What counts.

Forgive my innocent ignorance about particular tunes 'history' Patto!x I had never heard Mickey Champion until 1993! It was 'different' to stuff i;d heard....made me dance.....sounded RnBish in genre.....and played it 'innocently' as a great tune!x Cards on the Table by The Diplomats drew a similar reaction by some 'oldies' folk around the Nation too! At Nighters....it stooooormed floors whenever I played it! But....it was an acquired taste at Soul Nights I found! Dunno where the tune came from historically....but Kev Fev of Norwich put that on a tape for me 1994.....and had to have one to play.....'naturally'!x Love You Just Can't Walk Away was on the same tape....never heeeard it....and it had the same impact!x Shifty wos in me lug hole trying to influence me with Betty O'brien at the time too.....and then there were others telling me Kell Osbournes Qucksand was Northern....and...and.........it was exciting....!x

It will be again!x I have been in another 'bubble' for 15+ years music wise as far as Northern goes! I heard tunes last week-end I was surprised to hear...and see the reaction to them on the floor.....and stuff i;ve never heard in me life being danced to as 'standard'!!! Some......are awesome.....today......but even i wouldn;t have dared spun some of them back in the 90's...!x Things evolve...change....and are added too. I look forward to all the new stuff that the scene has included! Some will be 'Northern' to me....some won;t be. I look forward to deciding...in privacy.....in me head! I let me body do the talking!x Fortunately....no one can...or has...'deleted' any of the tunes that our shared 50 years of listening has endured...or enjoyed!x So I have a wiiiide back catalogue to suss out!x You all go ahead....i'll cherry pick...and play Northern out of 'em!x

There....that's my.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbRBcpI3LGg

...bu**er...I swear that was my copy 20 years ago....!!!!x

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

Edited by SOOTY
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Big Daddy Rogers been around since at least the 80's.  Bud Harper Gary Rushbrooke very late Wigan?  Certainly early Stafford etc.  AC Reed Guy Hennigan then George Sharp.  Mickie Champion a well seasoned oldie.  These were just good Northern to most I knew, everyone got on with it.  Some grumbled as some always do.  The R&B argument really took hold for me when the likes of Charles Sheffield, Ernie Washington and other records that sounded even earlier started getting spins.  

Most are now accepted on the scene but there are still many who like there soul nice and smooth and not gritty or early.  Ass someone said horses for courses.  Most know what DJ plays what, if one is known for playing something you don't like avoid the club, go somewhere that will please you.  Get on with it, life is too short.

Thanx for the updates Chalky....I like me history and like to inform accurately if furnished with the 'craic'...nice 1!x

LUV

SOOTY

X

Mickie Champion.........happy days for me!x I want to tell the story of how I found my copy....which is incredible really....but will do it another time so not to go off topic and get me head kicked in n stuff!!hehe!!x

@@

~

Social source share

...that Lonny Lester will ALWAYS get me movin' Patto!x

As you say mate alot of R&B stuff was huge in the 90s

A.C Reed

Gerri Hall

Patience Valentine

Big Daddy Rogers

Etta James

Joe Tex

Charles Sheffield

Lee rogers

....I played Joe Tex......You Better Believe It Baby......more than any other tune of his back then!x Nobody else did.....!x Nostalgic for me...and had it away everytime....happy days!x Gerri Hall was a favourite among 'hard core' whom travelled on the mini bus with me all over the UK each week0end!x 1 guy and still good friend 'Jack'....it is all he waited for allll night each week end!x He always danced to The Snake too....so quite liberal in  his approach!x I didn't have a Patience back then......but lov'd dancing to it EVERYTIME!x The only other I spun and got known for as such was 7 Day Fool....and featured it on flyers at me Soul club throughout '96/7! My S/N crew had never heard it.....but it grew on them! Nationally....I had it away for aaaages before other DJ's got onto it as being 'current' as such!x I'll share this too....my mate Pete...a seasoned Producer who has made the new tunes sampling Northern....well....he has heard about 60 of my tunes all told. Recorded for his listening pleasure around 30. He's made tunes up with around 7 of those. The 2 tunes he feels he cannot....or doesn't want to go near as he considers them 'pure' and beyond reproach are....Etta James 7 Day Fool....aaaand....this.....which has been an all time favourite spin of mine since getting it from Rob Smith in 1993.....and still have it here 2013......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t32OlU7RdOw

I can understand his feelings....!X

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

Social source share

...that Lonny Lester will ALWAYS get me movin' Patto!x

As you say mate alot of R&B stuff was huge in the 90s

A.C Reed

Gerri Hall

Patience Valentine

Big Daddy Rogers

Etta James

Joe Tex

Charles Sheffield

Lee rogers

....I played Joe Tex......You Better Believe It Baby......more than any other tune of his back then!x Nobody else did.....!x Nostalgic for me...and had it away everytime....happy days!x Gerri Hall was a favourite among 'hard core' whom travelled on the mini bus with me all over the UK each week0end!x 1 guy and still good friend 'Jack'....it is all he waited for allll night each week end!x He always danced to The Snake too....so quite liberal in  his approach!x I didn't have a Patience back then......but lov'd dancing to it EVERYTIME!x The only other I spun and got known for as such was 7 Day Fool....

Etta James another I played in the 80's...kin ell does this make me an R&B DJ :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hung up on what is what!! If it's good it is good, if it's bad it's bad.  Just f*cking enjoy the good and go for a natter, p*ss or fag for the bad.

That's the problem Carl, we can't agree what is good or what is bad!!!!! :g:  :hatsoff2: 

Ooh me head hurts, :dash2:  :facepalm: 

p.s. I've just realised there's actually some R&B I like, Lonnie Lester, A.C. Reed, Etta James, now I'm really confused!!!! :huh:  :unsure: 

Edited by spot
Social source share

Etta James another I played in the 80's...kin ell does this make me an R&B DJ :lol:

...I woke 'em up again then Chalky....hehe!x I;d share the decks and floor with with you anyday mate...X A willing student....!x

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

...oops...I forgot perhaps the 'biggest' tune I was known for kicking off with in the 90's.....which i was told wos played back in the 70's.....usually the instru' side....was this........but we've messed wiv it a bit 20 years later..........!x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYzllwmxmEo

...off for the week-end.....have a good 'un all!x

• Helpful 1
Social source share

That's the problem Carl, we can't agree what is good or what is bad!!!!! :g:  :hatsoff2: 

p.s. I've just realised there's actually some R&B I like, Lonnie Lester, A.C. Reed, Etta James, now I'm really confused!!!! :huh:  :unsure: 

Spot

See back to my original point of all having variations of categories...........I think Lonnie Lester at best is boarder-line R n B,I just think it's a brilliant northern dancer but not R n B?So were back I don't give a toss what you lot think my heads says it's not R n B so I've got to got with that.....simple(well I am a bit :P)

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Spot

See back to my original point of all having variations of categories...........I think Lonnie Lester at best is boarder-line R n B,I just think it's a brilliant northern dancer but not R n B?So were back I don't give a toss what you lot think my heads says it's not R n B so I've got to got with that.....simple(well I am a bit :P)

Cheers

Martyn

Give over ,Lonnie Lester is out and out R&B  :yes:  :)

Bazza   :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

If we all liked the same Pete it would be boring!

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Just got this through the letter box this morning.

https://youtu.be/72ZqEbY0nnQ

Stafford.

Northern Soul

RnB

So many thanks to john Kelly from Manchester. not sure if you are on here, but much appreciated. I love it.

edit - Its Susan Rewis - They Say You Found A New Baby

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Stafford.

Northern Soul

RnB

So many thanks to john Kelly from Manchester. not sure if you are on here, but much appreciated. I love it.

Mikey even us thick Soulies can read titles, it's on the label in case you missed it. :facepalm:  Anyway not R&B to my ear, more like Lena Zavaroni on Helium & I actually find it ok. Oh I need a lie down. :hypo: 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Stafford.

Northern Soul

RnB

It does sound a bit pinky & perky ,has the pitch been buggered about with on this clip ?

Bazza   :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Mikey even us thick Soulies can read titles, it's on the label in case you missed it. :facepalm:  Anyway not R&B to my ear, more like Lena Zavaroni on Helium & I actually find it ok. Oh I need a lie down. :hypo: 

I put the title for those on work computers who cant view the link :thumbsup:

Social source share

Stafford.

Northern Soul

RnB

Slightly off topic but a classic Guy Hennigan cover up combining an artist with one of her songs to create a title for a group C/U name: Denita James & The Wild Side.

Social source share

Thanx to this thread i've found me Dad!!!!......and he's giving me and education.......thank you....!x

@@
~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS0DpqlxkFI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP97ym_qDO8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flTTYbSitE4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQoMOaUSwKk

...new Northern added to me list and dance routine....for me anyway!x Thanx Martyn!!!x 

@@
~
LUV

LONG LOST SON NOW FOUND
SOOTY
X

Edited by SOOTY
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanx to this thread i've found me Dad!!!!......and he's giving me and education.......thank you....!x

@@

~

...new Northern added to me list and dance routine....for me anyway!x Thanx Martyn!!!x 

@@

~

LUV

LONG LOST SON NOW FOUND

SOOTY

X

:lol: :lol: :lol:No worries son.

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

EDIT......sincere apologies.....X How can I reflect on those times without mentioning the biggest influence on me R N B wise.....IRISH GREG.......sorry mate....X Never ever danced as I did to his stuff in all me times at the 100 Club....X I haven't heard his name mentioned in threads i;ve read over the months....and hope he is well and kicking it out there still...X

Irish Greg is alive and was Djing at the Crossfire Allniter on saturday night

Heres one of his from his 100 club days

Al H

GREAT NEWS Al H....and I look forward to catching up with him and his tunes....and the tunes u put up.....tells me he'd still do it for me.....nice 1!x

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

• Helpful 1
Social source share

When did I say I hated R&B? Did you read what I said?

To be accused of not liking black music based on what I said in a light hearted way about a rock and roll record is rather extreme.

Edited by Reg
Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

EDIT......sincere apologies.....X How can I reflect on those times without mentioning the biggest influence on me R N B wise.....IRISH GREG.......sorry mate....X Never ever danced as I did to his stuff in all me times at the 100 Club....X I haven't heard his name mentioned in threads i;ve read over the months....and hope he is well and kicking it out there still...X

GREAT NEWS Al H....and I look forward to catching up with him and his tunes....and the tunes u put up.....tells me he'd still do it for me.....nice 1!x

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

Will do mate seeing him in the week

All the best

Alan

Edited by CapitolSC
Social source share

I'm still alive and still have the records (well most of them). Great to see all the opinions about RnB and the varied tastes and styles. Back in the day at the 100club allnighters i would consider part of my set to be always played especially for the mods by the piano corner - I loved pissing off the old guard down at the record bar lol. i would always mix it up with gerri hall, Nat hall (a & b side on loop), j mae matthews, troy dodds flip on el camino, peppermint harris, cookie jackson, jimmy Hughes, Al Hughes etc.

Geez there was tons of tunes which really brought back the younger (modish) crowd and continued onto the capitol soul club and of many great discoveries and rediscoveries like the isonics and loads of stuff i can't recall at this moment. The thing i found was the ladies especially loved RnB and even the more latin style tunes, happy days!!! right i gotta get back to my QPR youngsters where working on defending compact from the long ball lol. Wheres Joey B when i need him haha

Alright mikey!! :-)

Greg

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!