Tommy & The Derby's.......kool

Tommy & the Derby's - Goin Back to Houston - Kool.......What a tune, have never heard it played out & only know of one copy, so just wondered will this forever live in the shadow of Tommy Tates 'Derby's' ?.......I have a spare kidney if one ever turns up....anyone have any info on the group or label or any other interesting facts....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=40ilLgyeJbg

Bestest Russ

• Helpful 1
Social source share

this group has nothing to do with the tommy tate group, this is the kansas city tommy and the derby's that have 5 45s (all obscure / rare). they had a revue that included marva whitney before she recorded, the del montes (who became the visitors on dakar), the sinceres (who later recorded on pzazz and became bloodstone), etc.

Hey Bob, I was aware of the Kansas City group & realised there was no connection with Tommy Tate, actually became aware of em years ago when reseaching the TT group, what is confusing with the Kool 45 is the Texas release...hope you are well.  Thank you for the info.....

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Hey Bob, I was aware of the Kansas City group & realised there was no connection with Tommy Tate, actually became aware of em years ago when reseaching the TT group, what is confusing with the Kool 45 is the Texas release...hope you are well. Thank you for the info.....

Russ

They were going back to Houston and Kool is a south houston ,Texas label .

I believe the info is our there already ,regarding this group and there have been a few other 45's on the same label over the yra ,but none as good ,so not really sure what kind of label this was ?maybe just a independent ,but the header is "look to Kool for the hits " :)

Edited by NEV
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Hey Bob, I was aware of the Kansas City group & realised there was no connection with Tommy Tate, actually became aware of em years ago when reseaching the TT group, what is confusing with the Kool 45 is the Texas release...hope you are well.  Thank you for the info.....

Russ

they actually have two texas releases, they have another 45 on ty tex. if you look at the writing credits you will see Gadson's there. they were a touring revue.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I believe the info is our there already ,regarding this group and there have been a few other 45's on the same label over the yra ,but none as good ,so not really sure what kind of label this was ?maybe just a independent ,but the header is "look to Kool for the hits " :)

there were a lot of releases on Kool

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Did Steve Green used to have it?

I remember someone stuck it on Facebook at least a year ago or so and I think Steve Green contacted the YouTube poster above, who also owned a copy, but I don't think he would sell it to Steve. Not sure if he got a copy or not.

Social source share

I remember someone stuck it on Facebook at least a year ago or so and I think Steve Green contacted the YouTube poster above, who also owned a copy, but I don't think he would sell it to Steve. Not sure if he got a copy or not.

Pretty sure Steve didn't get a copy ,but I do credit Steve for alerting me and a lot of others about it ,with the same FB and SS wants :)
Social source share

I found one of these in a box labeled "junk" about 30 miles outside of San Antonio TX, my hometown. I'll put it up for offers very soon, in a week or two at most. It's a strong VG+ with "Linda B." written small in pen on the Goin back to Houston side. 

Social source share

I remember someone stuck it on Facebook at least a year ago or so and I think Steve Green contacted the YouTube poster above, who also owned a copy, but I don't think he would sell it to Steve. Not sure if he got a copy or not.

I think it was me who posted it on Facebook thinking back.

Social source share

Hey Bob, I was aware of the Kansas City group & realised there was no connection with Tommy Tate, actually became aware of em years ago when reseaching the TT group, what is confusing with the Kool 45 is the Texas release...hope you are well. Thank you for the info.....

Russ

Kool Records (a very cool looking label)

https://www.globaldogproductions.info/k/kool.html

K-1034 not on this list ?

Quite a nice record too ...

Tfk

Edited by tfk
Social source share

I had or still have a record on that label, can't remember the artist but the track was called "The Broken Hip", an instrumental probably from around 1964 by the sound of it  (by The Moods according to that discography)

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!